PDA

View Full Version : NY Times suggests ways to improve World Series ratings

Fenway
12-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I didn't think they could top Bonds to the Twins. I was wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/05/sports/baseball/05chass.html?_r=1&ref=baseball&oref=slogin

∂Instead of assigning the game two years ahead, base home-field advantage for the All-Star Game on the outcome of the previous yearís World Series.

∂With baseball having increasing interest in opening the season in foreign countries, make the loser of the World Series open the next season in Japan.

∂Have fans predict the outcome of the World Series via the Internet, and give fans who pick the winning team two tickets to a game of their choice the following season

tstrike2000
12-06-2006, 10:52 AM
For starters, it's called get rid of Joe Buck and Tim "Captain Obvious" McCarver as your announcers. Not go to a mental institution and ask the patients what they think could help the World Series ratings.

MUsoxfan
12-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Or just start the games an hour earlier

samram
12-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Not one of those ideas would increase the chance that a given person who hasn't watched the games in the past few years would start to watch in 2007.

ewokpelts
12-06-2006, 11:01 AM
man that article sucked....

here's a suggestion:
While I know Buck and McCarver are fox's brilliant announcers, why not let the local announcers participate? Either in Pre/Post game activities, or simulcast the local announcers as a SAP(Secondary Audio Program) broadcast? That way, you also have it for the World Series DVDs.
How cool would it have been to have hawk and Dj calling the Podsednik homer in Game 2?

Games just a lil bit earlier in the day? Kids go to bed around 9pm across pretty much every time zone. There's no sense in having games start at 8pm eastern. I had to endure this at the all star game this year. It sucked donkey balls sitting there and waiting for the game to start an hour later than i'm used to. Mind you, the doors still opened at 4pm, the same time they did in the 2002-2004 ASGs(all played at central time zone teams)
And you can also avoid some of the weather problems, as most cities weather gets crappier at night in october.

How bout fox/espn promote ALL mlb teams throughout the season, so that when you get an astros/sox matchup, people around the country will know who's on the goddam team? I know i'm beatinga dead horse here, but i'm ****ing sick and ****ing tired of flubs/yankmees/blow sawks/west coast crap all the time on tv.

Anyone else?

crazyozzie02
12-06-2006, 11:18 AM
once again the the NY Times proves why New York sucks so hard core. I suprised that thed didnt come up with a reason saying that the Yankees should play in the WS no matter what

CaptainBallz
12-06-2006, 11:21 AM
How bout fox/espn promote ALL mlb teams throughout the season, so that when you get an astros/sox matchup, people around the country will know who's on the goddam team? I know i'm beatinga dead horse here, but i'm ****ing sick and ****ing tired of flubs/yankmees/blow sawks/west coast crap all the time on tv.

Anyone else?

That is all.

If the sports news outlets promoted "baseball" and didn't kiss certain teams' asses throughout the season, there would be an increased interest amongst casual fans in matchups featuring teams that aren't currently seen as "major" teams.

UserNameBlank
12-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Here are a few suggestions:

Play "Prison Break" commercials during breaks in the baseball game instead of playing a baseball game during breaks of "Prison Break" commercials.

Advertise game times as actual start times instead of preshow start times. Kevin Kennedy sucks and Jeannie Zelasko (sp?) pisses me off.

No more McCarver. Buck is fine as a PBP man, but he needs to undergo serious "stop making big things out of nothing" training, ala JD's HBP, AJ's dropped third strike, Kenny Rogers' hands and what may or may not be on them, etc.

Put the games on when everyone can watch them, like 5:30pm PT for example.

Can that little ball dude that teaches kids what pitches do. (Even six year olds who play baseball also play video games that show them what certain pitches do).

Stop playing all the lame pop rock/new metal.

Do not acknowledge all the celebrities in attendance talking on their cellphones. Nobody cares these people are there except for the fans who couldn't get tickets, and the fans hate these people for that reason. So, just stop talking about them and Fox's new disaster of a sitcom that they star in.

SoxFan78
12-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Put the games on when everyone can watch them, like 5:30pm ET for example.

Im not sure about you, but if the games were moved to 5:30pm ET only people on the East Coast would be able to see the starts of games. Because everybody else in the country would be still at work usually.

Luke
12-06-2006, 12:15 PM
I think that MLB is going to have to concede that the casual viewer is not very inclined to watch the world series on TV. There's too much other garbage on TV to distract them.

If they were to accept that conclusion, they could then alter the broadcast to gear it more towards the core baseball fan. Tim, Joe and the whole broadcast are getting near unwatchable. Give us an analyst with some actual insight, and a PbP guy that breathes some life into the broadcast.

The pregame is just awful. It's like the olympics with the hard luck stories, and the half hour of filler. Get some real substance to it or lose it.

I don't think there's anyway Fox loses the promos. They just have too much money involved, but there's a lot of other channel to tune to when they spend 35 second talking abotu Prison Break. Maybe just don't barage us quite so much.

And of course, I'd echo what everyone else has said. The national outlets need to give more equal coverage. It's not just the Yankees and Red Sox, there's 4-5 teams that get more attention, and more excitement than everyone else.

UserNameBlank
12-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Im not sure about you, but if the games were moved to 5:30pm ET only people on the East Coast would be able to see the starts of games. Because everybody else in the country would be still at work usually.

Oops, I meant PT. Nice catch.

Fenway
12-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Oops, I meant PT. Nice catch.

I was in Seattle for the beginning of the World Series and fell in love with the 5:30 start time.

Starting at 7:30 PM sharp in the East would help.

and there is NO EXCUSE for not having late afternoon games on weekends. FOX simply tells the NFL that it can't carry any late afternoon games that week (NBC did this with the AFC for years)

the gooch
12-06-2006, 12:56 PM
They will also have to start the game on time. I gave the playoffs a chance, and half an hour after the TV listed starting time, I turned it off. Not a single pitch.

thomas35forever
12-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Commercial break lengths will also have to be cut back if they want to keep the audience interested.

ondafarm
12-06-2006, 03:52 PM
I think Fox

a) has terrible announcers, dump em both

b) jazzes the game up way too much. It's a baseball game, cover it as such, I don't need the fifty extra cameras and the guy running out with a mobile camera as the pitcher walks back to his dugout. A little bit of extra explanation and camera angles goes a long way.

thomas35forever
12-06-2006, 03:57 PM
I don't need the fifty extra cameras and the guy running out with a mobile camera as the pitcher walks back to his dugout. A little bit of extra explanation and camera angles goes a long way.
It might not be the best way to cover a baseball game, but at least give Fox some credit for following Pods down the third base line after his walkoff.

dwalteroo
12-06-2006, 04:09 PM
My two cents:

1) Get rid of Joe Buck and everyone else at Fox. Get any other network to air the Series and you will watch viewship jump. Stop with the crazy pyrotechnic graphics and have Bob Costas give his take.

2) Allow local announcers to give it local flair.

3) Once the Series gets to any team with 3 wins, they wait to play the 4th game until Saturday daytime. Whenever that is - they would have to schedule it so this would be possible. Then, if it goes to the next game, they play it Sunday night, just like the Superbowl. If they actually got to a third game once it got to 3, it would be more exciting because everyone would have expected it to be over by now (just like normal, but with more people watching).

SOXfnNlansing
12-07-2006, 12:56 AM
For starters, it's called get rid of Joe Buck and Tim "Captain Obvious" McCarver as your announcers. Not go to a mental institution and ask the patients what they think could help the World Series ratings.

Joe Buck must go!

PKalltheway
12-07-2006, 01:01 AM
This is probably the best option.

You also gotta consider the more viewing options people have now compared to 20 years ago, maybe even as recently as 10 years ago. The internet is also more prominent than ever as well, and it will continue to grow. Those affect viewership. Also, the Nielsen ratings system is stupid anyway (the people who don't have the Nielsen boxes or don't get the Nielsen survey obviously aren't watching tv:rolleyes: ), so I take what people say about ratings with a grain of salt.

Even though the World Series will never be on Super Bowl viewership levels, there are more people watching than you think.

(Trust me, I'm not singling you out ewokpelts. I agree with you that they need to market all 30 teams, rather than the chosen ones.)

ewokpelts
12-07-2006, 04:34 AM
I was in Seattle for the beginning of the World Series and fell in love with the 5:30 start time.

Starting at 7:30 PM sharp in the East would help.

and there is NO EXCUSE for not having late afternoon games on weekends. FOX simply tells the NFL that it can't carry any late afternoon games that week (NBC did this with the AFC for years)add it worked for the alcs this year
Gene

p.s. fenway? 7:30 eastern isnt much of a move back, is it? games should stat at LEAST 7PM eastern

ewokpelts
12-07-2006, 04:42 AM
This is probably the best option.

You also gotta consider the more viewing options people have now compared to 20 years ago, maybe even as recently as 10 years ago. The internet is also more prominent than ever as well, and it will continue to grow. Those affect viewership. Also, the Nielsen ratings system is stupid anyway (the people who don't have the Nielsen boxes or don't get the Nielsen survey obviously aren't watching tv:rolleyes: ), so I take what people say about ratings with a grain of salt.

Even though the World Series will never be on Super Bowl viewership levels, there are more people watching than you think.

(Trust me, I'm not singling you out ewokpelts. I agree with you that they need to market all 30 teams, rather than the chosen ones.)naH, I agree with you. even if the ratings are flawed, the "common man" interest is based purely on what espn tells you. there were quite a lot of people fawning over the ligers this year, even sox fans, becuase it was "thier turn". What about the Cardinals? They deserve to be there just as much as the ligers.
as for the internet, there's NO EXCUSE as to why games arent avaialbe for live streaming. In 2004, fox unveiled thier diamond cams and had them stream live during the games. I actually watched that broadcast instead of the actual game(buck and mccarver's mikes were audible). it was a different experience(which was not replicated in 2005, the year i actually want to watch clemens fake an injury). Mlb is stupid for FORCING people to watch on tv. Let them have it online. Split the money with fox, and do it pay per view online(and maybe get rid of those prison break ads)

Grzegorz
12-07-2006, 05:48 AM
Screw the New York Times...

pythons007
12-07-2006, 11:18 AM
I would have to say get rid of Joe Buck and Tim McCrapper. These guys do a horrible job.
Stop showing the crowd every 15 seconds. I tuned in to watch a baseball game not to see random or celebs.
I agree with everyone who said that there should be an equal amount of coverage to teams, not just the yanks, red sox, cubs

Fenway
12-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Stop showing the crowd every 15 seconds.

Fox started doing that in a big way during the 2003 playoffs.The crowd reaction at Wrigley was priceless. I remember my wife crying as she had a soft spot for the Cubbies and kept mumbling "those poor people". Little did she know the disaster Boston would have 2 nights later in New York.

Then it got worse in the 2004 ALCS. Admittedly the crowd at Fenway was hanging by a thread during Games 4 and 5 as Boston was on the verge of elimination both games and then it got worse at Yankee Stadium for Games 6 and 7 as the New York fans were in complete panic mode. Maybe in those cases it was justified but now they do it all the time.

ondafarm
12-07-2006, 12:16 PM
You know, if Major League Baseball really wanted to do something about ratings, how about having a Major League Baseball Channel which is given away for free. Maybe even have a kids alternative. If every day you knew there'd be three games carried live (a day one, an east coast/ midwest one and a west coast one) and maybe even throw in a Japanese game live in the early morning with a replay of a fourth major league game from last night in between and make it all free, then you'd be getting a lot of baseball fans everywhere. I especially hate the Yes! broadcasts but if they were only on every fourth day, I could deal with that.

Ted Turner proved it with TBS that if you give away the coverage of the games, people will come to see your team and you'll make your money back and more.

What really makes Reinsdorf and Co bad businessmen is that they try to squeeze every penny out of the broadcasts and don't realize they are restricting their fan base.

Gavin
12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
If they could some way digitally replace the crowd with all Bernie Mac, I'd be content.

Fenway
12-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Ted Turner proved it with TBS that if you give away the coverage of the games, people will come to see your team and you'll make your money back and more.

No that is not true. I must protect my season ticket holders. All 12 of them

:dollarbill:

ewokpelts
12-07-2006, 03:03 PM
You know, if Major League Baseball really wanted to do something about ratings, how about having a Major League Baseball Channel which is given away for free. Maybe even have a kids alternative. If every day you knew there'd be three games carried live (a day one, an east coast/ midwest one and a west coast one) and maybe even throw in a Japanese game live in the early morning with a replay of a fourth major league game from last night in between and make it all free, then you'd be getting a lot of baseball fans everywhere. I especially hate the Yes! broadcasts but if they were only on every fourth day, I could deal with that.

What really makes Reinsdorf and Co bad businessmen is that they try to squeeze every penny out of the broadcasts and don't realize they are restricting their fan base.ted turner did NOT give away braves broadcasts...cable carriers paid a LOT of money (and still do) for TBS and TNT. ESPN is the only cable channel that costs more per subcriber than TBS/TNT.
Uncle Ted made a TON OF money off baseball on tbs. make no mistake.
as for the baseball channel...it's coming

PeteWard
12-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Commercial break lengths will also have to be cut back if they want to keep the audience interested.

I second that. These games go longer anyway because the managers tend to change pitchers more than in the regular season.

The commercial breaks during the post-season are ruinous.

PeteWard
12-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Fox started doing that in a big way during the 2003 playoffs.The crowd reaction at Wrigley was priceless. I remember my wife crying as she had a soft spot for the Cubbies and kept mumbling "those poor people". Little did she know the disaster Boston would have 2 nights later in New York.

Then it got worse in the 2004 ALCS. Admittedly the crowd at Fenway was hanging by a thread during Games 4 and 5 as Boston was on the verge of elimination both games and then it got worse at Yankee Stadium for Games 6 and 7 as the New York fans were in complete panic mode. Maybe in those cases it was justified but now they do it all the time.

Yes and in Houston...Game 3 or 4?...they kept showing some hideous woman pretending to be excited while talking on her cellphone during crucial and nervous moments. "How do these things happen?"

PeteWard
12-07-2006, 11:21 PM
It might not be the best way to cover a baseball game, but at least give Fox some credit for following Pods down the third base line after his walkoff.

You caught the onething Fox did right during that series. That was excellent.

Almost made up for the replay of an interview with Houston's pitching coach which overlapped JC's homer.