PDA

View Full Version : Where the Royals are going in this market, interesting

caulfield12
12-06-2006, 09:07 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/16172798.htm

I was surprised to see they're after Batista, offering $8 million per season for three years.

They have Lumsden and Greinke to go with the names mentioned in the article.

Jjav829
12-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Yep, keep wasting money on mediocre veterans. That'll get you to the top quickly. :rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Yep, keep wasting money on mediocre veterans. That'll get you to the top quickly. :rolleyes:Don't knock it. For them, mediocre would be a big step up.

patbooyah
12-06-2006, 02:25 PM
it's actually not a terrible plan - they might be able to flip batista for some decent prospects around the trade deadline...

SABRSox
12-06-2006, 02:29 PM
it's actually not a terrible plan - they might be able to flip batista for some decent prospects around the trade deadline...

That all depends on the contract. If they overpay too much, they may not have a tradeable contract come deadline time.

UserNameBlank
12-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Bannister, 26, is expected to join a rotation that presently consists of Odalis Perez, Luke Hudson and Jorge De La Rosa.
Lopez, if acquired, would complete the five-man unit.

I know Greinke supposedly went crazy, but what happened to Runelvys Hernandez and Scott Elarton? Not that these guys are that great or anything, but I think both are better options for their rotation than Jorge DeLaRosa.

SABRSox
12-06-2006, 02:38 PM
I know Greinke supposedly went crazy, but what happened to Runelvys Hernandez and Scott Elarton? Not that these guys are that great or anything, but I think both are better options for their rotation than Jorge DeLaRosa.

If KC wants to get rid of him, I'd take Greinke in a heartbeat. IIRC, he performed well in the minors in the second half of last year.

UserNameBlank
12-06-2006, 02:42 PM
If KC wants to get rid of him, I'd take Greinke in a heartbeat. IIRC, he performed well in the minors in the second half of last year.

Judging from the fact that in the same article it mentions KC signed Dewon Brazleton, I don't think that will happen. New guy over at KC seems to really know what he is doing and is finally taking the Royals in the right direction. Sure it will take a while, but the situation isn't hopeless anymore.

caulfield12
12-06-2006, 04:07 PM

Hernandez is a joke (except against us this year) and is out of shape and performs well once every 4 or 5 games.

Elarton is coming off injury.

Redman was much better for them.

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-06-2006, 04:51 PM
I really don't think KC should go after any of these old veterans at all. First off, the only way they are going to mature into a healthy team is if they start from scratch. Getting young pitchers, full of potential, could help their cause.

caulfield12
12-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I really don't think KC should go after any of these old veterans at all. First off, the only way they are going to mature into a healthy team is if they start from scratch. Getting young pitchers, full of potential, could help their cause.

I think it helps to have at least one veteran around to serve as a steadying influence...like a Brian Anderson (LHP) or Redman, someone who's a 5th starter and can show the youngsters the ropes, who has been on winning teams before and knows how to win big games...Kenny Rogers comes to mind, look at the influence he had on the Tigers, or Greg Maddux, etc.

I'm not sure it makes sense to spend $24 million on Batista, because he won't get them into the playoffs, but at least they're moving in the right direction.

Sweeney also comes off the books after 2007.