PDA

View Full Version : Tribune: Rays' Baldelli could fill leadoff role; Rowand may return

app2686
12-06-2006, 12:31 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061205soxozzie,1,2195203.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

"A Sox source said the team also had some interest in the Devil Rays' Rocco Baldelli, who could solve problems in center and at the leadoff spot.

Baldelli, 25, batted .302 with 16 home runs and 57 RBIs in 92 games last season, but his career has been slowed by injuries. Major knee and elbow ailments sidelined him for all of 2005.

Baldelli hit .339 in the leadoff spot last season with a .368 on-base percentage. He stole 27 bases in 2004. He is under contract through the 2008 season, with the Devil Rays holding options on him in 2009 and 2010."

"The Sox acknowledged their interest in reacquiring Aaron Rowand from the Phillies, who are seeking a starting pitcher."

DrCrawdad
12-06-2006, 12:50 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061205soxozzie,1,2195203.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

"A Sox source said the team also had some interest in the Devil Rays' Rocco Baldelli, who could solve problems in center and at the leadoff spot.

Baldelli, 25, batted .302 with 16 home runs and 57 RBIs in 92 games last season, but his career has been slowed by injuries. Major knee and elbow ailments sidelined him for all of 2005.

Baldelli hit .339 in the leadoff spot last season with a .368 on-base percentage. He stole 27 bases in 2004. He is under contract through the 2008 season, with the Devil Rays holding options on him in 2009 and 2010."

"The Sox acknowledged their interest in reacquiring Aaron Rowand from the Phillies, who are seeking a starting pitcher."

My impression of Baldelli, albeit a somewhat limited one, is that he would be a good pick-up.

ShoelessJoeS
12-06-2006, 12:52 AM
My impression of Baldelli, albeit a somewhat limited one, is that he would be a good pick-up.I agree. I also think that he could be had for cheaper as oppose to Crawford.

Chisox003
12-06-2006, 12:54 AM
Baldelli would be an unbelievable pickup.

I usually don't speculate, but this could give the Sox about 342 options in the OF and in the lineup. And he's only 25. :drool:

I wonder what it would take...

Palehose13
12-06-2006, 12:56 AM
My impression of Baldelli, albeit a somewhat limited one, is that he would be a good pick-up.

I definitely would not be upset if KW added him to the roster.

getonbckthr
12-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Give more and get Crawford.

Palehose13
12-06-2006, 01:04 AM
Give more and get Crawford.

But we could use a paisan on the club!

HotelWhiteSox
12-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Add Willsy

getonbckthr
12-06-2006, 01:13 AM
I'll be honest at first I read your post as PASIAN and was really confused. I looked up the word and couldn't find anything. Then I looked at your post again and realized it said PIE ZON. Anywho paison role can be filled by Tony Graffanino.

ShoelessJoeS
12-06-2006, 01:22 AM
But we could use a paisan on the club!:AJ:
"Did you forget about me?"

ondafarm
12-06-2006, 01:23 AM
Graffanino's greatest role, for the Sox was whiffing on a sure double play ball.

Sorry, don't want him back.

getonbckthr
12-06-2006, 01:26 AM
Graffanino's greatest role, for the Sox was whiffing on a sure double play ball.

Sorry, don't want him back.
Just like there is an army of "bow and A-ROWS" here at WSI i am a proud GRAFFITE.

itsnotrequired
12-06-2006, 07:09 AM

I heard an interview of his from late August last year. Sounded very mature and had a great attitude. Yeah, yeah, attitudes don't win championships but I was still impressed.

spawn
12-06-2006, 07:13 AM
I definitely would not be upset if KW added him to the roster.
I'm with you on this. I think he'd be a great pickup...

EMachine10
12-06-2006, 08:06 AM
love rocco....a lot of people around baseball thought he was the next great thing until he got hurt...i still think he's done great and can continue to do so

Zisk77
12-06-2006, 08:33 AM
I heard an interview of his from late August last year. Sounded very mature and had a great attitude. Yeah, yeah, attitudes don't win championships but I was still impressed.

This is the same man that blew out a knee playing wiffle ball, right?

samram
12-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Baldelli would be a very nice addition, but I suspect the Rays will be just as unreasonable in their demands for him as they have been about their demands for Crawford.

BeviBall!
12-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Rocco is a very gifted player and with Herm on our side, injury histories don't bother me as much as they probably should.

MeteorsSox4367
12-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Think of all the Baldelli jerseys that would pop up in Bridgeport. Before he got hurt, Baldelli was a big-time prospect for Tampa. I'd love to see the Sox get him.

Like one of the prior posters asked, can we get Dave Wills, too?

How about Garcia, Farmer and Singleton for Baldelli?

Mickster
12-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Like one of the prior posters asked, can we get Dave Wills, too?

How about Garcia, Farmer and Singleton for Baldelli?

Garcia and Singleton for Baldelli and Wills. :cool:

Keep farmer as Wills' sidekick.

wulfy
12-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Of all the names that have popped up in the last 4 weeks, Baldelli (short of Crawford) is the one I like best. What kind of package would be required to bring him here?

Something amusing to consider - would KW slap Boras by shipping Crede to the D-Rays? :cool:

FedEx227
12-06-2006, 08:56 AM
I'd love to pick up Rocco, although I still think we need a LF first and foremost, but Rocco is one of the few guys I would replace Anderson with at this point in his career. Great speed, good range, good arm, good glove, decent hitter, had some pop before his injuries... but can he stay healthy is the only huge question?

wulfy
12-06-2006, 08:59 AM
I'd love to pick up Rocco, although I still think we need a LF first and foremost, but Rocco is one of the few guys I would replace Anderson with at this point in his career. Great speed, good range, good arm, good glove, decent hitter, had some pop before his injuries... but can he stay healthy is the only huge question?

The injuries haven't caused him to lose any pop in his bat .... 16 homers in 364 at bats is pretty good power. If he can get 650 at bats, that translates to about 28 homers in a season.

Sox Fan 35
12-06-2006, 09:08 AM
I would have no problem with a Baldelli, Rowand, Dye outfield.

Flight #24
12-06-2006, 09:21 AM
IMO, Baldelli might be a perfect pickup, and I might even do a straight up swap of Garcia for him. He's fairly young, has proven that he can hit at the MLB level, and has 20-20 or maybe even 30-20 type ability while playing solid CF D. And his OBP is decent enough that he could be a leadoff option if Pods struggles again.

His bat seems strong enough that you could legitimately play him in LF if Anderson progresses and/or Pods struggles. But he could play a solid CF if the reverse happens. He basically gives you a "starting 4th OF" who's young.

The other guy I might want to take a look at is Upton. Not sure about his D @ SS, but if it's solid, he could be a Uribe replacement. Still, I think Baldelli's a better bet.

Maybe something like Garcia+Owens+Gload/Rogo for Baldelli+Upton? The only thing is that leaves the Sox without another young SP, but if you think you can resign Buehrle at a decent rate (and KW's supposedly had discussions with one of Mark/Freddy about an extension), then you'd at least have 5 SPs locked in to '08 and 2 beyond that.

soxtalker
12-06-2006, 09:43 AM
I don't see it. There are a lot of MLB teams that need starting pitching, and many reports suggest that the Sox will be prime targets as soon as the very few available top-line pitching FA's are gone. I just can't see the Sox giving up one of our starting pitchers for a CF. I'm not saying that it isn't an issue for us, but KW needs to get some pitching back that will be around past next year. That probably means good prospects and/or relief pitching. I could see a package that brings us a CF (or SS) that also involves prospects, but I think that the latter are crucial in any such move.

EMachine10
12-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Make a package that includes pods and keeps bri guy. that way rocco can play left and we'd still have a very good defensive cf. baldelli - anderson - dye sounds good to me.

Flight #24
12-06-2006, 10:08 AM
I don't see it. There are a lot of MLB teams that need starting pitching, and many reports suggest that the Sox will be prime targets as soon as the very few available top-line pitching FA's are gone. I just can't see the Sox giving up one of our starting pitchers for a CF. I'm not saying that it isn't an issue for us, but KW needs to get some pitching back that will be around past next year. That probably means good prospects and/or relief pitching. I could see a package that brings us a CF (or SS) that also involves prospects, but I think that the latter are crucial in any such move.

Sox have a handful of needs: Leadoff hitter, OF (ideally who could play CF), SS. If they can fill one of those with a bonafide starter, they can then leverage their youth (Anderson/Sweeney/Fields) to fill one of the other slots with less trepidation.

Baldelli can play any of the OF roles. He can lead off. He can play CF. And he's got enough pop in his bat to hit enough as a corner OF. He also gives the Sox another internal option to let Dye go (and use the $$$ to resign Buehrle).

However, if rumors are true, the Orioles are looking hard at Baldelli and offering up 2 young pitchers: Loewen and Ray. If true, the DRays would be shortsighted not to take that over one of the Sox vets. They're not going to win this year, they need to look at 1-3 years out.

My preference (barring an ARod trade) would be to deal a guy like Garcia for the equivalent to McCarthy ca.2005. If that's not happening (and there's some indication that teams are holding onto their young pitching and understandably so), a Baldelli (or Crawford) trade is likely a 2d best option because it lets you accomplish similar things: making it possible to lock up an SP and upgrading the on-field team.

chisoxmike
12-06-2006, 10:11 AM
I would have no problem with a Baldelli, Rowand, Dye outfield.

I do.

I'd rather have take out Rowand, and put in Anderson.

Britt Burns
12-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Rocco would be a great pickup...young, under contract until 2010 (IIRC), and a multi-dimensional player with room for growth. I don't know if he is the best we can get for one of our starters, but I do think he would be a great addition, sort of a poor man's Grady Sizemore.

slavko
12-06-2006, 10:12 AM

Paulie is half Paisan.

tstrike2000
12-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Baldelli would be a good pickup. I could see him batting leadoff since he has some speed and plays CF. He wouldn't steal as much as Pods and his OBP is a little low for a leadoff guy, but the tradeoff is he can hit for avg, rbi and power when healthy.

EMachine10
12-06-2006, 10:24 AM
why is everyone excluding anderson from this team? Rocco is a pretty good defensive CF, but not as good as Brian in my opinion. So then you slightly downgrade your CF and still have a terrible fielder in left (pods). Plug Rocco into left and there is a significant upgrade at that position. We committed (for the most part) last year to anderson. By trading him for another CF to replace him would make last year a complete waste of time, and I really don't see KW doing that. And i'm not that big a fan of all this Rowand talk. I like the guy, but he's gone. Again, not as good as anderson in CF. Rowand made more diving catches and ran into walls, but these were avoidable for Anderson, because he takes better routes and gets better jumps on balls. Rowand would get to the ball once in the vicinity, but he didn't seem to have good enough jumps and reads on balls to make somewhat routine plays routinely.

jenn2080
12-06-2006, 10:35 AM
why is everyone excluding anderson from this team? Rocco is a pretty good defensive CF, but not as good as Brian in my opinion. So then you slightly downgrade your CF and still have a terrible fielder in left (pods). Plug Rocco into left and there is a significant upgrade at that position. We committed (for the most part) last year to anderson. By trading him for another CF to replace him would make last year a complete waste of time, and I really don't see KW doing that. And i'm not that big a fan of all this Rowand talk. I like the guy, but he's gone. Again, not as good as anderson in CF. Rowand made more diving catches and ran into walls, but these were avoidable for Anderson, because he takes better routes and gets better jumps on balls. Rowand would get to the ball once in the vicinity, but he didn't seem to have good enough jumps and reads on balls to make somewhat routine plays routinely.

Yeah what you said. Brian is going to be the star of the White Sox in 07. He is a great cf. I can not wait until others realize. Oh and he is the sexiest athlete in Chicago according to the Red Eye

And Aaron....well... :whatever:

Flight #24
12-06-2006, 10:42 AM

That's the beauty of Baldelli (or Crawford). They can sub effectively at either LF or CF, so you can basically shift Pods to being your 4th OF. If he plays, he goes to LF and Baldelli/CC go to CF. If Anderson plays well, Pods sees the bench. If all 3 are playing well - nice problem to have.

Sargeant79
12-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Playing devil's advocate...

Not saying that the Sox should even offer this, but Tampa Bay will not do this deal if anyone from the starting rotation is the centerpiece on our end. They will not want Garcia, Vazquez, or Buerhle owing to the fact that they are expensive and/or have free agency coming up. Contreras and Garland, while locked up longer, is owed more than TB would be interested in paying. For a team that doesn't have much hope of competing next year, it would be incredibly stupid on their end to trade Baldelli (who is under club control for 4 more years) for a really expensive guy who they would have under control for only a year or so.

So from their perspective, they will insist on young talent. The rumor mill (or at least ESPN) is saying that this is what they're asking for, although they may back off their demands a bit as time goes on because they have too many young outfielders. But this means that to get Baldelli, the Sox will either have to pony up with a package that includes two of their best prospects (i.e. Broadway and Sweeney) or get a third team involved.

Not saying they shouldn't do it...Baldelli would be a great pickup. Just saying that this is what it will take.

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2006, 10:54 AM

Not saying that the Sox should even offer this, but Tampa Bay will not do this deal if anyone from the starting rotation is the centerpiece on our end. They will not want Garcia, Vazquez, or Buerhle owing to the fact that they are expensive and/or have free agency coming up. Contreras and Garland, while locked up longer, is owed more than TB would be interested in paying. For a team that doesn't have much hope of competing next year, it would be incredibly stupid on their end to trade Baldelli (who is under club control for 4 more years) for a really expensive guy who they would have under control for only a year or so.

So from their perspective, they will insist on young talent. The rumor mill (or at least ESPN) is saying that this is what they're asking for, although they may back off their demands a bit as time goes on because they have too many young outfielders. But this means that to get Baldelli, the Sox will either have to pony up with a package that includes two of their best prospects (i.e. Broadway and Sweeney) or get a third team involved.

Not saying they shouldn't do it...Baldelli would be a great pickup. Just saying that this is what it will take.Not true at all. It just means they need to get a third team involved who is willing to give up young players for veteran pitching.

Sargeant79
12-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Not true at all. It just means they need to get a third team involved who is willing to give up young players for veteran pitching.

...which sounds like a better option to me.

By the way...didn't make it all the way to the last few words of the second paragraph of my post, did you? :tongue:

soxtalker
12-06-2006, 11:12 AM

I don't think that "everyone" has given up on BA; in fact, there's probably a pretty big contingent of us that would be happy to see him back out in CF next year. But the rumors out there about KW having talks with other teams coupled with OG's obvious problems with playing him last year provide ample reason for speculation about trades. I think that the real question is whether OG and KW have given up on him.

Cuck the Fubs
12-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Yeah what you said. Brian is going to be the star of the White Sox in 07. He is a great cf. I can not wait until others realize. Oh and he is the sexiest athlete in Chicago according to the Red Eye

Jenn if that happens..........I'll buy you a beer at every game this season I'm at.

Brian has all the tools.....but I don't think he's going to be a "star"

Jjav829
12-06-2006, 01:09 PM

Not saying they shouldn't do it...Baldelli would be a great pickup. Just saying that this is what it will take.

Right. I'm not sure why people are bringing up our starting pitchers. The only pitcher that would interest them is McCarthy. And that wouldn't make sense for us. So we'd have to find that 3rd team that would give up young pitching for one of our veterans. Which brings us to the question; if some team is willing to give up young pitching for one of our starters, why we would trade that for Rocco Baldelli? I mean let's say the Mets would give up Mike Pelfrey in a deal for Garcia or Vazquez. Would we really want to give up a prospect like that for Baldelli when all the starters in our current rotation, sans Contreras, are free agents within the next 2 years? It would make more sense to hold onto that young pitching prospect and give Anderson another chance or try to get Rowand on the cheap.

samram
12-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Right. I'm not sure why people are bringing up our starting pitchers. The only pitcher that would interest them is McCarthy. And that wouldn't make sense for us. So we'd have to find that 3rd team that would give up young pitching for one of our veterans. Which brings us to the question; if some team is willing to give up young pitching for one of our starters, why we would trade that for Rocco Baldelli? I mean let's say the Mets would give up Mike Pelfrey in a deal for Garcia or Vazquez. Would we really want to give up a prospect like that for Baldelli when all the starters in our current rotation, sans Contreras, are free agents within the next 2 years? It would make more sense to hold onto that young pitching prospect and give Anderson another chance or try to get Rowand on the cheap.

"The one area where we're covered is in the outfield," Devil Rays manager Joe Maddon said, indicating he'd like a veteran starting pitcher to take some pressure off a young staff led by All-Star left-hander Scott Kazmir. "If something like [a trade] were to happen, we feel that's the one spot we can handle internally."

That's why people are bringing up Sox starters.

UserNameBlank
12-06-2006, 01:17 PM
I like the Baldelli idea because he doesn't handcuff the Sox with this salary, plays D, and can hit at the top of the order. The question is his health, and if KW can use that to get him cheaper than he normally come, Baldelli would be the typical under-the-radar KW type move. Also, KW addresses the entire lineup by making this move.

We get this lineup:
L Podsednik LF
R Baldelli CF
R Dye RF
R Konerko 1B
L Thome DH
R Crede 3B
R Iguchi 2B
L Pierzynski C
R Uribe SS

I think that is a solid, solid lineup and a very good defense. It is better than the 2005 Sox by a ton and gives us more speed at the top and bottom of the order. Plus there is now only one "automatic out" in the lineup, and in the 9 spot he will be able to survive a crappy offensive year as long as Pods and AJ have decent years.

BTW, does anyone think that maybe Fields + Aardsma would be enough to get Baldelli? Or maybe something centering around Logan + Aardsma? The Rays seem pretty desperate for relief help as they are trying to sign Octavio Dotel and possibly one of Russ Springer/David Riske too.

If KW could make a seperate deal to get bullpen help for a starter, and turn Neal Cotts + Sox prospect(s) into Baldelli, KW could help several areas while shedding payroll and gaining a top pitching prospect or two.

Jjav829
12-06-2006, 01:20 PM
That's why people are bringing up Sox starters.

I don't doubt Maddon wants a veteran starter, but that doesn't mean he's going to want to D'Rays to give up three years of Rocco for 1 year of Freddy Garcia.

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't doubt Maddon wants a veteran starter, but that doesn't mean he's going to want to D'Rays to give up three years of Rocco for 1 year of Freddy Garcia.Maybe Kenny can interest them in Javy Vazquez. He's not FA eligible until after 2008. With the cash they got from the Snakes, he's actually pretty affordable.

Jjav829
12-06-2006, 01:24 PM
I like the Baldelli idea because he doesn't handcuff the Sox with this salary, plays D, and can hit at the top of the order. The question is his health, and if KW can use that to get him cheaper than he normally come, Baldelli would be the typical under-the-radar KW type move. Also, KW addresses the entire lineup by making this move.

With the numbers of teams reportedly interested in Baldelli, if KW does trade for him, it will hardly be an under-the-radar move.

BTW, does anyone think that maybe Fields + Aardsma would be enough to get Baldelli?

I doubt it. Crawford, Baldelli, Young, Cantu, Upton, Gomes and the rights to Iwamura. And they have more coming from the minors shortly (Longoria, Dukes, etc.) The Rays don't really need another young bat. They need pitching.

Or maybe something centering around Logan + Aardsma? The Rays seem pretty desperate for relief help as they are trying to sign Octavio Dotel and possibly one of Russ Springer/David Riske too.

Not a chance. The Rays need relievers, but they're not going to give away Baldelli for next to nothing to get them.

SABRSox
12-06-2006, 01:31 PM
I don't think that "everyone" has given up on BA; in fact, there's probably a pretty big contingent of us that would be happy to see him back out in CF next year. But the rumors out there about KW having talks with other teams coupled with OG's obvious problems with playing him last year provide ample reason for speculation about trades. I think that the real question is whether OG and KW have given up on him.

I know Kenny hasn't.

Palehose13
12-06-2006, 01:50 PM

:rolling: :roflmao: :rolling: :roflmao:

You are more delusional about Brian than I am about Aaron. And the red eye??? Since when do you agree with that bird cage liner?

http://mud.mm-a3.yimg.com/image/802571482
"I can turn a gay girl straight"

http://re3.mm-a1.yimg.com/image/82069240
"I look like a Muppet!"

Domeshot17
12-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Ive been saying for months Baldelli would be the perfect fit for this team.

(1) He is going to come cheaper then Crawford. Crawford will cost BRandon Fields +, Baldelli we may be able to have to Vazquez Heager/Broadway.

(2) For all the people saying don't give up on Brian, open your eyes. Brian is only a year or 2 younger then Baldelli and his Cieling is not what Rocco's is. Baldelli's defense is up to par with Brian, his arm is better, He has more power, he is faster, a better contact hitter. The other thing I love about Rocco is his work ethic is tremendous. He has come back strong from major injuries, and getting off the turf of Tampa Bay is going to save his knees a ton

(3) Picking up Baldelli allows you to keep Pods. We all agree Pods as a leadoff hitter is shakey. HOWEVER, Pods as a 9 hitter is AWESOME. Speed at the bottom of the lineup, we could live with a 260-270 average and 335 OBP 40 stolen bases out of the 9 hole. Its well known your 9 hitter is basically a second lead off hitter after the 3rd inning. Could you imagine the havoc that could be put on by Pods and Rocco on the bases.

The Rays asking prices will be high, but they also know they will have to be smart to improve this team.

fquaye149
12-06-2006, 02:01 PM
http://mud.mm-a3.yimg.com/image/802571482
"I can turn a gay girl straight"

http://re3.mm-a1.yimg.com/image/82069240
"I look like a Muppet!"

I have a feeling I wouldn't have a chance with a straight PH13:whiner::whiner::whiner:

Palehose13
12-06-2006, 02:05 PM
I have a feeling I wouldn't have a chance with a straight PH13:whiner::whiner::whiner:

Pfft...you don't want it. I'm just one of the guys. :cool:

DaleJRFan
12-06-2006, 02:13 PM

Dude, you look NOTHING like a muppet. :D:

fquaye149
12-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Dude, you look NOTHING like a muppet. :D:
\
peruse my facebook photos---there's one where i'm a dead ringer for kermit the frog or some ****

HotelWhiteSox
12-07-2006, 02:21 PM
I know it's Terry Boers, aka a moron, but he says 'his guy' says the guy we're going for is Baldelli. I only mention it because I remember him having some Thome interest info before it was really known or a slam dunk last year

Flight #24
12-07-2006, 02:32 PM
I know it's Terry Boers, aka a moron, but he says 'his guy' says the guy we're going for is Baldelli. I only mention it because I remember him having some Thome interest info before it was really known or a slam dunk last year

If Gio+Floyd nets you Baldelli, that's a good deal. I'd be surprised if that's what Tampa wants though. If it takes more, it better not be anything more than a mid-tier prospect like Rogo. Or maybe they want Gload?

SABRSox
12-07-2006, 02:33 PM
FWIW, Carlos Marmol and Sean Marshall is the offer the Cubs made to TB for Baldelli. Our offer will have to be at least that good.

12-07-2006, 02:37 PM
FWIW, Carlos Marmol and Sean Marshall is the offer the Cubs made to TB for Baldelli. Our offer will have to be at least that good.

Those are 2 good young arms...we would have to give up BA, Sweeney, or Owens

SABRSox
12-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Those are 2 good young arms...we would have to give up BA, Sweeney, or Owens

That won't get it done. TB has no interest in OF's.

NonetheLoaiza
12-07-2006, 02:41 PM
If Gio+Floyd nets you Baldelli, that's a good deal. I'd be surprised if that's what Tampa wants though. If it takes more, it better not be anything more than a mid-tier prospect like Rogo. Or maybe they want Gload?

They aren't going to go and spin the same two guys they just got around for Baldelli. If that were the case, a three-team deal would have been made. Gio OR Floyd and someone else, yea, sure. If Tampa wanted those two guys, Kenny would have been talking to them in the Phillie trade talks as well.

Ol' No. 2
12-07-2006, 04:03 PM
I know it's Terry Boers, aka a moron, but he says 'his guy' says the guy we're going for is Baldelli. I only mention it because I remember him having some Thome interest info before it was really known or a slam dunk last yearSo Boers has "discovered" that the Sox are interested in Baldelli? Way to be on top of things, Terry. At least we know he read Tuesday's Cubune.:rolleyes:

StatHead21
12-08-2006, 08:49 AM
He'd be good but he can't leadoff.

EMachine10
12-08-2006, 09:34 AM
:?: i'm pretty sure he already has lead off for TB. I don't see why he couldn't.

caulfield12
12-08-2006, 09:41 AM
He'd be good but he can't leadoff.

Career OBP=.329

Not good enough.

He's simply not patient enough at the plate, walks should be higher for a leadoff guy, taking more pitches.

Iguana775
12-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Career OBP=.329

Not good enough.

He's simply not patient enough at the plate, walks should be higher for a leadoff guy, taking more pitches.

something to chew on about his ability to hit 1st. Last year's stats while hitting 1st.....

G 42
AB 183
R 35
H 62
2B 16
3B 4
HR 11
RBI 27
BB 6
K 34
SB 6
CS 1
AVG .339
OBP .368
SLG .650
OPS 1.018

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7025/situational;_ylt=AnjD6jinmoh95Q.awzHjs3iFCLcF

who's to say he can't do the very same thing with the Sox at lead off? the Stolen bases arent that good but still. if he can get on at a .360+ clip and have some pop, I dont see why not.

EMachine10
12-08-2006, 10:38 AM
thank you. i knew i had seen that stat line somewhere :cool:

caulfield12
12-08-2006, 11:25 AM
something to chew on about his ability to hit 1st. Last year's stats while hitting 1st.....

G 42
AB 183
R 35
H 62
2B 16
3B 4
HR 11
RBI 27
BB 6
K 34
SB 6
CS 1
AVG .339
OBP .368
SLG .650
OPS 1.018

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7025/situational;_ylt=AnjD6jinmoh95Q.awzHjs3iFCLcF

who's to say he can't do the very same thing with the Sox at lead off? the Stolen bases arent that good but still. if he can get on at a .360+ clip and have some pop, I dont see why not.

If he had done that historically over 2-3 full seasons of injury-free baseball, then I would or could agree with you.

You could use the same stat to argue that Pablo Ozuna should have been a full-time player and leadoff hitter before he was injured this season and came back down to earth.

Huisj
12-08-2006, 11:52 AM
If he had done that historically over 2-3 full seasons of injury-free baseball, then I would or could agree with you.

You could use the same stat to argue that Pablo Ozuna should have been a full-time player and leadoff hitter before he was injured this season and came back down to earth.

And another thing to take note of in those stats as a leadoff hitter is that he hit .339! Yes, that's outstanding, but basically it means he got really hot with the bat at the time they batted him leadoff. His OBP was only 29 points higher than that, so basically the high OBP was due to his hot bat, not an increase in plate discipline.

TheVulture
12-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Paulie is half Paisan. Which half, top or bottom?

beck72
12-09-2006, 06:19 AM
I think a deal could certainly be had for Baldelli. TB needs pitching-both SP and relief. And both the Sox and Drays AA and AAA clubs play in the same divisions, so they should be very familiar with each other. While the D-Rays need a SP to go into the rotation in 2007, few teams will trade a top SP prospect who can step right in.

The sox could use quantity over quality to enitce the D-Rays. Trading Brian Anderson would certainly net the sox a decent arm [prob. from the Marlins, like Nolasco]. The sox use the arm they get from Anderson, along with a quantity of arms that might not fit--Heath Phillips, Sean Tracey, and a top relief prospect like Boone Logan or Oneli Perez. However, if I were the D-Rays, I'd want Haeger over Phillips.

If the sox think Baldelli is their guy to play Cf for yrs, then they should pay the price.

beck72
12-09-2006, 06:19 AM
I think a deal could certainly be had for Baldelli. TB needs pitching-both SP and relief. And both the Sox and Drays AA and AAA clubs play in the same divisions, so they should be very familiar with each other. While the D-Rays need a SP to go into the rotation in 2007, few teams will trade a top SP prospect who can step right in.

The sox could use quantity over quality to enitce the D-Rays. Trading Brian Anderson would certainly net the sox a decent arm [prob. from the Marlins, like Nolasco]. The sox use the arm they get from Anderson, along with a quantity of arms that might not fit--Heath Phillips, Sean Tracey, and a top relief prospect like Boone Logan or Oneli Perez. However, if I were the D-Rays, I'd want Haeger over Phillips.

If the sox think Baldelli is their guy to play Cf for yrs, then they should pay the price.

caulfield12
12-09-2006, 07:42 AM

Shouldn't all teams have learned not to do what the Cubs did? Trade for an unproven OR veteran outfielder and send young pitching in return?

MRM
12-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Career OBP=.329

Not good enough.

Absolutely true, and he's not really a SB guy, either. He's a solid hitter with some speed who can handle a bat well enough to hit in the 2 hole, allowing Iguchi to move down in the order where he would be more effective, though.

I like him, but if I'm the Sox, I'm not giving up the farm to get him. He's not as good defensively as BA and I still think that Anderson has more potential upside offensively in the long run.