PDA

View Full Version : Houston as a trade partner?

Scottiehaswheels
12-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Just reading the quick hits on Foxsports about the Winter Meetings... Rosenthal says that if Pettite signs elsewhere the Astro's may look to us as trade partners for a starter... Anyone think we might be able to pry Lidge/Taveras/pitching prospect for a SP?

MUsoxfan
12-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Anyone think we might be able to pry Lidge/Taveras/pitching prospect for a SP?

I may be wrong, but I think that guy is toast

Scottiehaswheels
12-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Perhaps in a closer role but as a reliever he might be ok...

santo=dorf
12-05-2006, 10:18 PM
....and why would we want Taveras? His OBP sucks and he can't hit the ball out of the infield. Oh wait, he played well against us in the short series we saw him so he must be good.

Ol' No. 2
12-05-2006, 10:23 PM
There's always Morgan Ensberg, otherwise known as the Sultan of the Free Pass.

buehrle4cy05
12-05-2006, 10:24 PM
None of those names (Taveras, Lidge, Ensberg) really impress me.

CashMan
12-05-2006, 10:27 PM

How about Kolby(SP?) Clemens?

palehozenychicty
12-05-2006, 10:27 PM

Me neither. Only Lidge would make our team, for real, as a setup man.

NardiWasHere
12-05-2006, 10:30 PM

Wait... You don't think Taveras or Ensberg would even make the team?
Joking, right? Just making sure.

That being said.... I'm socks aren't knocked off.

Scottiehaswheels
12-05-2006, 10:31 PM
....and why would we want Taveras? His OBP sucks and he can't hit the ball out of the infield. Oh wait, he played well against us in the short series we saw him so he must be good.and $2.9mil 5 years older Pods is better? aside from the fact that we're considering platooning Pods in CF next year and Taveras actually plays a decent CF...

SABRSox
12-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Lidge, yes. Taveras, no. Jason Lane... hmm. Ensberg, if his shoulder is healthy.

And then trade whomever is left of Garcia/Vasquez and Crede to NYY for ARod.

Ol' No. 2
12-05-2006, 10:35 PM
and $2.9mil 5 years older Pods is better? aside from the fact that we're considering platooning Pods in CF next year and Taveras actually plays a decent CF...Do you have a mouse in your pocket? As far as I know, no one in the Sox staff is considering that.

JB98
12-05-2006, 10:41 PM

I'm pretty sure Taveras would make our team. Have you seen what we've got in LF and CF lately? We're in sad shape at those two positions. At the very least, Taveras could make our team as a fourth outfielder.

JUribe1989
12-05-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm pretty sure Taveras would make our team. Have you seen what we've got in LF and CF lately? We're in sad shape at those two positions. At the very least, Taveras could make our team as a fourth outfielder.

Taveras is a good fielder with a GREAT arm. At the very least he would make our team based on his fielding merit ahead of Podsednik and BA. Oh yeah, he also had a better average than either of them.

Scottiehaswheels
12-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Do you have a mouse in your pocket? As far as I know, no one in the Sox staff is considering that.
As it currently stands we have who exactly to cover CF if BA struggles? Ozzie just said today he won't throw Mackowiak out there anymore (thank god) Terrero? Owens? Sweeney?

JB98
12-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Taveras is a good fielder with a GREAT arm. At the very least he would make our team based on his fielding merit ahead of Podsednik and BA. Oh yeah, he also had a better average than either of them.

Agree 100 percent. I don't know if he's the "answer" or anything, but it's kind of foolish to claim he wouldn't even make our team considering we have immortals like Pods and BA penciled into our everyday lineup at this point.

WizardsofOzzie
12-05-2006, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Lidge in a setup role. I think the pressure as a closer is too much for him but he could handle other BP duties

ZombieRob
12-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Trib mentioned Astros as possible trade partners and also Tampa for Rocco Baldelli which IMO makes more sense then the Astros proposal

johnnyg83
12-06-2006, 12:28 AM
I think Lidge's best days are waaay behind him.

HotelWhiteSox
12-06-2006, 01:19 AM
Taveras would make the team. Would probably take him over Figgins, but getting a little similar there (can't vouch for either's D though, don't watch them enough)

getonbckthr
12-06-2006, 01:29 AM
Simple you want a starter then we want Berkman, oh that won't happen sorry Houston you just don't fit into our idea of a good trading partner.

russ99
12-06-2006, 08:08 AM

Lidge isn't toast. He had a bad year, he's still young has great stuff and I'm convinced that he'll bounce back, either with the Astros or another team.

Tavarez has Boras as his agent, and the Astros have the same problems with the evil agent as the White Sox do, so I'd doubt it.

Maybe Garcia could be traded to the Astros for Burke or Lane, Qualls, and either Nieve (future closer) or another prospect

White Sox Randy
12-06-2006, 08:48 AM
I'd ask for Hirsh and Ensberg and be ready to throw in a minor prospect. Let's say Garcia, Owens and Rogowski / Cunningham.

We could then hold court on offers for Crede and get a substantial haul.

Crede for Santana ?

Then, the Sox could trade another starter for some bullpen help and a big-time pitching prospect.