PDA

View Full Version : Big Name Players the Sox Almost Acquired

Brian26
12-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Lip started this in another thread, and I happened to come across one last night that amazed me. Over the winter, I'm tackling the Total White Sox book. I'm going to try to read the whole thing, although its becoming a daunting task. I started with the 2005 season in the year-in-review section and have read backwards to 1967. And then I started going the other way in the player profiles, starting with the "A's", and now I'm up Jose Contreras.

Anyway, in the John Buzzhardt profile, Lindberg mentions that in 1965 the Sox GM Ed Short almost traded Buzzhardt, Floyd Robinson, and Eddie Fisher to the Reds for Frank Robinson, but the Reds GM vetoed it at the last minute.

Ironically, 20 years later the Reds vetoed another trade with the Sox, which would have brought Ken Griffey Jr to Chicago.

What other big name players have almost been acquired by the Sox either through trade or free agency?

SOXSINCE'70
12-05-2006, 09:37 PM
I seem to remember the Sox making a big "push" for
Bob Welch after he won 27 games for the 1990 A's.

Welch re-signed with the A's,and resumed sucking in 1991.

Be glad Ron Scheuler signed Charlie Hough.
At least he gave the team some innings.
Welch either couldn't get many outs,
or spent too much time on the DL.

Lip Man 1
12-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Darrin Erstad for one.

Lip

Brian26
12-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Darrin Erstad for one.

Lip

Good call. Erstad for Garland and Singleton after the 2001 season.

Domeshot17
12-05-2006, 09:44 PM
We were on the Verge of a Konerko for Randy Johnson trade a few years ago.

SOXSINCE'70
12-05-2006, 09:46 PM
IIRC,the Sox had a chance to acquire Randy Johnson
in 1993 or 1994 if they'd part with George Bell, Rodney
Bolton or Scott Ruffcorn.:whiner:

y2j2785
12-05-2006, 09:49 PM
I remember watching that "5 Reasons not to blame...." show on ESPN one day and i remember they said that the Sox almost traded Shoeless Joe Jackson for Babe Ruth but the Red Sox nixed the deal at the last minute.

Dolanski
12-05-2006, 10:22 PM

NOOOOO!!!!! Not Scott Ruffcorn!!!

spiffie
12-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Man I wish there had been a WSI back then to watch people having a stroke at the thought of trading such top prospects as Bolton or Ruffcorn.

soxinem1
12-05-2006, 10:34 PM
I recall when they were supposed to be close to trading Konerko back to LA for Odalis Perez. Glad that fell through.

I also remember when they were veryclose to getting Soriano a few months ago from WAS. Could you imagine him going to the cubs after McCarthy would have gone to WAS to rent him for three months? The cubs would have been chirping for years about that one.

I have a recollection when Goose was supposed to be pretty close to returning as a FA for the 1984 season, but Uncle Jerry supposedly wouldn't go over three years. So we settled for 41-year old Ron 'Game-ending HR' Reed.

I'm sure I could think of more, but such memories are disappointing.....

HawkDJ
12-05-2006, 10:41 PM
I guess it's not as big of a deal now but anyone remember Bob Howry for Eric Gagne?

palehozenychicty
12-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Man I wish there had been a WSI back then to watch people having a stroke at the thought of trading such top prospects as Bolton or Ruffcorn.

Oh, it would've been anarchy.

Juice16
12-05-2006, 10:59 PM
I remember hearing that Reinsdorf wanting to sign Barry Bonds but Frank Thomas and some others voiced their support for Albert Belle.

santo=dorf
12-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Carlos Delgado in 2004.
Jeff Weaver in 2003 (possibly the trade that would "knock your sox off.")
Nomar after 2003

santo=dorf
12-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Or ChisoxTony seeing Ron Schueler on his carphone or bagphone at the Greyhound station saying "That's right. Rough corn, and (Michael) Bolton."
:redneck

areilly
12-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Don't forget Mark McGwire, who wanted to come here after the 1991 season but Frank wouldn't move to full-time DH to make room.

Steroids or not, that would've been a hell of a lineup.

Hinrich
12-05-2006, 11:43 PM
It was at the trading deadline in '03 I believe when we were going to trade Frank Thomas to the BoSox for Trot Nixon. I think it was the Red Sox that nixed the trade.

A. Cavatica
12-06-2006, 12:02 AM
How close were we to acquiring Clemens before he went to Toronto and we settled for Jaime Navarro? I remember there were at least rumors.

And we were supposed to get David Wells for Mike Sirotka, but we got this fat slob lookalike who pitched nothing like Wells.

StatManDu
12-06-2006, 12:43 AM
The free agent class of 1997 ... Schueler signed Navarro instead of Roger Clemens because he didn't want to give the Rocket a lot of years and a lot of money at his advanced age.

Navarro turned out to be one of the worst players in recent Sox history. The only thing good you can say about him was that he brought Eldred and Valentin from the dumb Brewers in a trade.

Roger Clemens ... Good lord!

lumpyspun
12-06-2006, 03:33 AM
I remember a time when the players all told Jerry that "we need the Hawk." They were really talking about Andre Dawson, but he thought they were talking about Ken Harrelson. So, he went and wrapped Harrelson up in a long term contract....

DSpivack
12-06-2006, 04:32 AM
I remember a time when the players all told Jerry that "we need the Hawk." They were really talking about Andre Dawson, but he thought they were talking about Ken Harrelson. So, he went and wrapped Harrelson up in a long term contract....

And I thought that meant Ronnie Hawkins. Or Dominique Wilkins.

johnr1note
12-06-2006, 10:29 AM
I remember hearing that Reinsdorf wanting to sign Barry Bonds but Frank Thomas and some others voiced their support for Albert Belle.

IIRC, it was more like a question posed to Big Frank as "If I could get him, who's the best outfielder out there," or something like that. Frank replied that there were two he would take -- the first name he gave was either Barry Bonds or Griffey Jr., and the second was Albert. However, at the time, only Albert was a free agent. The other two would have meant a trade -- an almost assured impossibility. So, supposedly, JR offered Albert a boatload of cash for that time.

sox84
12-06-2006, 12:48 PM
The promo could have been 'Step right up and choose your clubhouse cancer:?:

whitem0nkey
12-06-2006, 01:22 PM
in 1983 we had the 13th pick(Joel Davis) and we passed on roger clemens he was taken with the 19th by the redsox.

in 1985 we had the 5th pick (Kurt Brown) and we passed on Barry Bonds he was taken with the 6th pick by Pitt.

in 1992 we had the 24th pick (Eddie Pearson) and we passed on Johnny Damon he was taken with the 35th pick by KC.

skottyj242
12-06-2006, 01:26 PM
I remember there were real talks of Schilling when he was in Philly, just can't remember for who.

skottyj242
12-06-2006, 01:29 PM
in 1983 we had the 13th pick(Joel Davis) and we passed on roger clemens he was taken with the 19th by the redsox.

in 1985 we had the 5th pick (Kurt Brown) and we passed on Barry Bonds he was taken with the 6th pick by Pitt.

in 1992 we had the 24th pick (Eddie Pearson) and we passed on Johnny Damon he was taken with the 35th pick by KC.

I don't think drafts really count. Wasn't Piazza taken as a favor in the last round of the draft? You can look at any baseball draft and say that about anybody.

Britt Burns
12-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Back in 1983, in the first year of the free agent compensation system (IIRC), the Sox selected Fergie Jenkins from the Cubs, who didn't think anyone would take him. The Sox esentially forced them to trade Pat Tabler and Scott Fletcher to not take Fergie.

Lip Man 1
12-06-2006, 01:50 PM
John:

According to published stories and conversations I've had with those involved the 'conversation' went along these lines...

JR: "If you could have any player on the White Sox who would you want?"

FT: "Albert Belle"

JR: (surprised) "You know Bonds is available." (The Giants were shopping him due to his contract and their inability to get a new stadium built)

FT: "I'd still want Belle."

Lip

IronFisk
12-06-2006, 01:50 PM

If only "ifs and buts were candy and nuts".

Lip Man 1
12-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Britt:

In truth the Sox never 'selected' Jenkins. Roland Hemond realized the Cubs did not put him on their protected list and made some general comments along the lines of, 'we'd certainly look at him.'

Cub GM Dallas Green immediately contacted Roland and a deal was worked out where the Sox got Tabler (whom they then traded for Dybzinski), Fletcher, Dick Tidrow and Randy Martz for Steve Trout, Warren Brusstar and a 'pledge' to not select Jenkins.

After all was said and done Green had this to say, "To say I'm relieved would be an understatement."

Lip

Britt Burns
12-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Britt:

In truth the Sox never 'selected' Jenkins. Roland Hemond realized the Cubs did not put him on their protected list and made some general comments along the lines of, 'we'd certainly look at him.'

Cub GM Dallas Green immediately contacted Roland and a deal was worked out where the Sox got Tabler (whom they then traded for Dybzinski), Fletcher, Dick Tidrow and Randy Martz for Steve Trout, Warren Brusstar and a 'pledge' to not select Jenkins.

After all was said and done Green had this to say, "To say I'm relieved would be an understatement."

Lip

Yup, forgot the Dybber came from Cleveland for Tabler. The Sox went on to select Joel Skinner from the Pirates, right?

Lip Man 1
12-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Britt:

Correct

Skotty:

The media was talking about the potential for the Sox to get Schilling for the stretch run in 2000 but that was ended after the man himself told the Arizona Republic in an interview (since Arizona was also looking at him) that he'd never, under any circumstances, go to the White Sox.

When asked why all Schilling would say was that an incident took place between himself and Reinsdorf during a meeting during the 1994 labor impasse (Schilling was on the union's executive committee) and that JR said something so personal towards him, that he'd never forgive him for saying it.

I've never been able to find out what was said and if it was directed towards Schilling himself or perhaps his family.

Lip

johnr1note
12-06-2006, 02:20 PM
John:

According to published stories and conversations I've had with those involved the 'conversation' went along these lines...

JR: "If you could have any player on the White Sox who would you want?"

FT: "Albert Belle"

JR: (surprised) "You know Bonds is available." (The Giants were shopping him due to his contract and their inability to get a new stadium built)

FT: "I'd still want Belle."

Lip

Thanks. The truth of the matter was that Belle was the free agent, Bonds was not, and a lot of people forget that. Even without Frank's "ringing endorsement," Albert was the only one of the two who was readily available.

skottyj242
12-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Britt:

Correct

Skotty:

The media was talking about the potential for the Sox to get Schilling for the stretch run in 2000 but that was ended after the man himself told the Arizona Republic in an interview (since Arizona was also looking at him) that he'd never, under any circumstances, go to the White Sox.

When asked why all Schilling would say was that an incident took place between himself and Reinsdorf during a meeting during the 1994 labor impasse (Schilling was on the union's executive committee) and that JR said something so personal towards him, that he'd never forgive him for saying it.

I've never been able to find out what was said and if it was directed towards Schilling himself or perhaps his family.

Lip

Thanks Lip. Doesn't he have a sick child? Could it have been something like the Robbie Alomar/Hirshbeck altercation?

Paulwny
12-06-2006, 03:14 PM
I heard this during a yank broadcast a few yrs ago. The Sox and yanks had a deal finalized when one of the players became injured killing the deal. As part of the trade the yanks were sending to the sox young minor leaguer, Bernie Williams.

stl_sox_fan
12-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Incredible thread guys! Reading through this and my jaw dropped a couple of times.

vegyrex
12-06-2006, 03:59 PM
The free agent class of 1997 ... Schueler signed Navarro instead of Roger Clemens because he didn't want to give the Rocket a lot of years and a lot of money at his advanced age.

Navarro turned out to be one of the worst players in recent Sox history. The only thing good you can say about him was that he brought Eldred and Valentin from the dumb Brewers in a trade.

I wonder if Clemens had pitched for the Sox in '97 if things would have turned out differently. No white flag trades, Sox overtaking the Indians....

*sigh*

Lip Man 1
12-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Skotty:

I know Curt's wife has had some skin cancer and I think one of their children or relatives has Lou Gehrig Disease but I'm not positive.

Lip

Lip Man 1
12-06-2006, 04:05 PM
A bigger factor was Ventura's horrible injury and then the fact that Schueler did nothing to solve it. Despite his comments to the newspapers that he would do so.

The Sox stumbled out at 5-14 or 5-17 something like that.

Lip

MRM
12-06-2006, 04:37 PM
I remember watching that "5 Reasons not to blame...." show on ESPN one day and i remember they said that the Sox almost traded Shoeless Joe Jackson for Babe Ruth but the Red Sox nixed the deal at the last minute.

I have a hard time believing that one. No way Comiskey was going to pay Ruth.

dickallen15
12-06-2006, 06:15 PM

Check Clemens' numbers between 93-96. He was something like 40-40. His new "workout" really worked out well for him.

dickallen15
12-06-2006, 06:17 PM
I have a hard time believing that one. No way Comiskey was going to pay Ruth.

This is a true story. Those were the 2 deals for Ruth Boston was weighing. The guy needed the money for his Broadway show or Babe Ruth would most likely have been a White Sox.

soxinem1
12-06-2006, 07:00 PM

Actually, in 1986 the deal to bring Andre Dawson to the White Sox seemed so obvious that he was pictured once or twice taking BP with Montreal wearing a White Sox hat!!

Bruck35
12-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Weren't the Sox relatively close to signing Kirby Puckett in the 90's? I thought I remember the Sox offering him more money to come to Chicago, but he decided to take less money and stay with the Twinkies.

Could be wrong though...anyone else remember that?

Mickster
12-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Check Clemens' numbers between 93-96. He was something like 40-40. His new "workout" really worked out well for him.

http://www.narconon.ca/images/steroids.jpg

haganaga
12-07-2006, 01:48 PM

If I remember the press conference, Jerry very cleverly put anything that may have come from that signing on Frank's back. He said something to the effect of, "I told Frank we could go after {someone} or Barry Bonds. Frank said, 'Albert Belle.'"

PennStater98r
12-07-2006, 02:24 PM
I wonder if Clemens had pitched for the Sox in '97 if things would have turned out differently. No white flag trades, Sox overtaking the Indians....

*sigh*

Overtake the Jndins? Good one - we would have been in first place all year with Clemens at the top of that pitching staff.