PDA

View Full Version : Tom Gordon likely out for a "long time"

HawkDJ
03-07-2002, 06:45 PM
No time yet the article just says he will be out for a long time. I'm so sad! :whiner:

Cubs CEO MacPhail says it's too early to tell how long Gordon will be out
By Carrie Muskat
MLB.com

MESA, Ariz. -- Chicago Cubs closer Flash Gordon has a severe shoulder injury near his right rotator cuff and will be sidelined for a long time, the team announced Thursday.

"We know there is a meaningful injury there that is going to require some time off," Cubs CEO and president Andy MacPhail said.

MacPhail said it was too early to give a time frame as to how long Gordon would be sidelined. The right-hander underwent a second MRI Thursday to confirm what the first one found on Wednesday.

czalgosz
03-07-2002, 08:01 PM
I don't think this news surprised anyone here, did it?

HawkDJ
03-07-2002, 08:22 PM
Well it could've have just been a minor problem, but no I don't think it surprised anyone. Just confirms what was predicted.

DrCrawdad
03-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Hey, hey, I don't wish Gordon ill. Yet it will be interesting to see how the Cubs fare without him.

Farnsworth has great potential, but he was saddled with elbow troubles last season. BTW Farnsworth was drafted by Himes crony - Goldis, not Hendry/MacPhail.

Fassero in 2001, talk about your career years. I can't see that he'll be able to repeat last years early season streak. Fassero's one Cubbie that I won't mind seeing flop. Why? He has animosity towards the Sox for not giving him a shot in 1988 when the Sox picked him up in a Rule 5 draft. Ahh, poor boy. Glad to see the Sox kick his head in on Tuesday.

One more thing, did you hear Cubbie fans talking crap about the Sox injuries last season? Especially on WSCR, but I heard about from friends and family.

Well, it will be interesting to see how Cubbie fans respond if their dear Cubbies flop (again). You know they'll cry about how they missed the '02 World Series on account of injuries.

- DrCrawdad.

SOXit2EM
03-07-2002, 10:06 PM
Well I cant say that I am sad :D: :nocubs

hsc1
03-07-2002, 10:31 PM
flash out... sad...poor scrubbies.... i wonder how long it will be before alou trips on a crack in the sidewalk and twists his ankle and is out for the season????

bc2k
03-08-2002, 01:09 AM
As Jerry Seinfeld would say, "That's a shame."

Here's to an 80 win season for the Cubs, thus failing to have back to back winning seasons since I believe 1971-72. :gulp:

harwar
03-08-2002, 09:00 AM
cubs trainer,dave dumas(its really tumas),said the injury is in the teres major(i know that constellation)section of the shoulder.I have cub fan friends(loose term)who kept telling me last year that injuries are just an excuse for losing and that really good teams rise above that.Well,i guess we'll see.Also we'll see how that kid kile farnsworth pans out.

CubKilla
03-08-2002, 08:38 PM
Oh No!!!!!

Farnsworth better get alot better with his offspeed stuff if he is going to be an effective closer. IMO.

Jerry_Manuel
03-08-2002, 08:40 PM
He's out 3 months, per the Cubs official site.

CubKilla
03-08-2002, 08:50 PM
He'll be just in time for the Cubs drive to the Pennant.