PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox sign Drew for five years, $70M

Fenway
12-05-2006, 06:21 PM
STOP THE INSANITY

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/12/05/drew.redsox/index.html

Boras confirms Drew deal (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/)

Outfielder J.D. Drew has agreed to a five-year, $70 million contract with the Red Sox, according to Drew's agent, Scott Boras. The deal will be completed after Drew takes his physical.

RKMeibalane
12-05-2006, 06:24 PM
How much time will he spend on the DL in '07?

getonbckthr
12-05-2006, 06:28 PM
So where's Manny going?

lakeviewsoxfan
12-05-2006, 06:29 PM
So where's Manny going?

Nowhere

Manny LF Coco CF Drew RF.

Trav
12-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Think he will play in 160 games over that five year period?

lumpyspun
12-05-2006, 06:31 PM
On the radio they were yapping that tomorrow is Theo's deadline to deal Manny. If he can't get something done, he will keep him after tomorrow. Who knows though...

Trav
12-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Nowhere

That outfield will lead the league in heart. :rolleyes:

getonbckthr
12-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Nowhere

I thought it was basically a lock if they sign Drew it all but confirms Manny being moved.

areilly
12-05-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm shocked he makes more than Paulie.

Absolutely shocked.

Fenway
Boy Blunder getting creamed on the Boston boards and WEEI

WEEI reporting they very close to signing Gagne ( yet another Boras client )

Meanwhile they have 9 days to sign Matsuzaka

caulfield12
Well, they have Kapler, Willy Mo Pena and there was the possibility they could bring Nixon back at a reduced salary...

Maybe we should make a bid for Willy Mo, lol?

I do remember he crushed some balls this season when I was watching.

RKMeibalane
12-05-2006, 06:38 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I think he's finished.

RKMeibalane
12-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Well, they have Kapler, Willy Mo Pena and there was the possibility they could bring Nixon back at a reduced salary...

Maybe we should make a bid for Willy Mo, lol?

I do remember he crushed some balls this season when I was watching.

My eyes... :o:

caulfield12
12-05-2006, 06:40 PM

Who would replace Epstein? Lucchino? Bill James? Alard Baird?

Seems like a 3 ring circus...especially if Gyroball gets away.

On the positive side, looks like Lester's health prognosis is much better.

Fenway
12-05-2006, 06:50 PM
last night on NESN Bob Ryan was screaming how bad this would be for Boston

Ryan: Drew is bad for Red Sox (http://www.boston.com/partners/worldnow/nesn.html?catID=80767&clipid=1096528&autoStart=true&mute=false&continuous=true)

I think this is going to be a disaster for Boston

MUsoxfan
12-05-2006, 06:54 PM
The Sawx are well on their way to a baseball-free October.

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-05-2006, 06:55 PM
I'm shocked he makes more than Paulie.

Absolutely shocked.
Me too. Drew is a rat-bastard money baller. Konerko, on the other hand, is a well-rounded team player.
I'm sure Bora$$ is lovin' every minute of it.

TheKittle
12-05-2006, 07:21 PM
It's Fred Lynn all over again.

SABRSox
12-05-2006, 07:44 PM
It was bad enough when the Dodgers signed Drew to 5 years / $55mil 2 years ago. This is beyond bad. Boston is going to spend $150 mil to finish 3rd in their division.

MarySwiss
12-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Gotta love it, though! The more Kenny stands pat, the better standing pat looks!

ShoelessJoeS
12-05-2006, 08:47 PM
last night on NESN Bob Ryan was screaming how bad this would be for Boston

Ryan: Drew is bad for Red Sox (http://www.boston.com/partners/worldnow/nesn.html?catID=80767&clipid=1096528&autoStart=true&mute=false&continuous=true)

I think this is going to be a disaster for Boston$14M/year for J.D. Drew? I think you're right.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Gotta love it, though! The more Kenny stands pat, the better standing pat looks!

Correct you are.

soxinem1
12-05-2006, 09:20 PM
How much time will he spend on the DL in '07?

5 weeks or 70 games, which ever is the most costly.

If Theo Epstein isn't the biggest ***hole among GM's, he is sure trying to be.

He lets Damon walk, then inks a guy like this? I hope they finish behind the D-rays. Thanks for helping ruin the sport, Theo!

Scottiehaswheels
12-05-2006, 09:22 PM
according to rotoworld they also just signed Lugo to a 4 year 36 mil deal... expensive day in beantown

palehozenychicty
12-05-2006, 09:43 PM
according to rotoworld they also just signed Lugo to a 4 year 36 mil deal... expensive day in beantown

I don't know which deal is worse. Why didn't they just signed Cabrera after '04? Sawx spending a lot of bread to be really crappy.

chaerulez
12-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Theo Epstein is a complete and utter fool. Only in the first two or three years will Drew even have a chance at playing 140 games. In the last two I predict he doesn't even get 160 games combined. And basically the whispers about Drew have been, it's not that he is always hurt, he's soft. He won't play through pain. I hope the Red Sox choke hard on this deal for giving that sack of crap a deal like that.

palehozenychicty
12-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Theo Epstein is a complete and utter fool. Only in the first two or three years will Drew even have a chance at playing 140 games. In the last two I predict he doesn't even get 160 games combined. And basically the whispers about Drew have been, it's not that he is always hurt, he's soft. He won't play through pain. I hope the Red Sox choke hard on this deal for giving that sack of crap a deal like that.

Don't worry, Drew has been a loser ever since he entered the league. The fact that they'd give him this kind of money and not Damon is appalling. Damon, for his defensive shortcomings, does play hard and can still run.

Flight #24
12-05-2006, 09:51 PM
The Sawx could be a very interesting team.

IF: Drew can stay healthy for once in his career
IF: Beckett can rebound from a poor year
IF: Schilling can stay healthy and perform at his age
IF: Matsuzaka signs and pitches like a front of the rotation guy
IF: Papelbon's transition back to the rotation goes smoothly and his shoulder lasts
IF: Wakefield is healthy and able to eat innings

They could be a very very good team. Unfortunately for them, each of those has a not-great probability of success, and put together it seems kind of like a lottery ticket - huge upside but chances of winning are 1 in a lot.

Now every team has ifs, but not every team has as many important pieces to whom there are such large ifs with such high probabilities of failure.

I look forward to Matt Clement starting in June with a series of K-masters (Wily Mo Pena), popgun hitters (Youkilis, Crisp, Pedroia), and fading vets (Varitek, Lowell) behind him. And looking forward to the roulette wheel of Keith Foulke, Eric Gagne, and the aging Mike Timlin coming in to "relieve" him.

Yankee fans must be crapping their pants........laughing. No wonder Cashman isn't motivated to make a big trade. He doesn't have to to make the playoffs.

champagne030
12-05-2006, 09:53 PM

He must not be listening to James because, last time I read him, BJ thought getting outs in the 6 inning was the same as the 9th.

ondafarm
12-05-2006, 09:57 PM

I agree 100%.

1951Campbell
12-05-2006, 09:59 PM
:rolling:

tstrike2000
12-06-2006, 08:02 AM
I liked this article from umpbump.com that pretty much sums up the signing of Drew and most other way overpaid signings.

"Weíre talking about a player who has been plagued by a variety of injuries and who has only showed glimpses of ability. Heís had a couple of good years to be sure. But a couple of good years over the course of an eight year career (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3956) isnít exactly inspiring. Drew is 31. And teams are still talking about his potential.

Drew has potential, all right. Heís got the potential to be a lot more trouble than heís worth.

In 2001, in 109 games, Drew hit .323 with 27 HR and 73 RBI. In 2004, in 145 games, he hit .305, with 31 HR and 93 RBI. In 2006, in 146 games, he hit .283, with 20 HR and 100 RBI.
In his other seasons, he averaged closer to 300 at bats, a .270 average, 15 HRs and 50 RBI.

If youíre a GM, youíve got to ask yourself which is more likely, that Drew will stay healthy and have a big offensive year, or that he will miss 1/3 of the season with nagging injuries, hit .260 with 70 RBIs, and that he and Scott Boras will be a clubhouse distraction?

You know what pisses me off about Drew? Itís that he seems to feel that heís entitled to big money. He refused to sign with the Phillies, the team that drafted him, for anything less than $10 million a year and when the Phils offered him $8 million, he balked, sat out the season and signed with the Cardinals the next year.
Now heís asking for huge money, even though his career has been largely dissapointing thus far.

I know I shouldnít be mad at Drew. I should be mad at the idiot GMs who agree to pay Drew what he and Boras ask. But I canít help it, Iím mad at Drew."

Fenway
12-06-2006, 08:21 AM
from the Boston Globe

ON BASEBALL: Outfielder has gotten a bad rap (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/12/06/outfielder_has_gotten_a_bad_rap)
(By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff)
It's hard to remember a significant player who was trashed by Boston fans and media long before he arrived or swung a bat in anger. But outfielder J.D. Drew, who became a member of the Red Sox yesterday (pending a physical) after agreeing to a five-year, $70 million deal, will arrive with some segments of ...

mwc44
12-06-2006, 11:30 AM
STOP THE INSANITY...

$100 Million to Carlos Lee???????? $73 Million to Aramis Ramierez??????? $50 Million to Gary Matthews??????? $44 Million to Juan Pierre????????
http://worldofwonder.net/images/susan%20powter-tm.jpg
STOP THE INSANITY!!!!!!!

Fenway... when I said the same thing in the Carlos Lee and Gary Matthews threads, some took exception to my comments... but, again, I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Mickster
12-06-2006, 02:10 PM
They have essentially re-signed Trot Nixon to a 5 year $70M deal. If you look at the last 4 years of averages between Nixon and Drew, they have played in almost an identical number of games, almost identical average, almost identical RBIs, etc. Drew has averaged 5+ more home runs per season, though.

Boy Wonder got fleeced. :D:

Fenway
12-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Grady Little on Drew and Lugo

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2006/12/a_little_from_g.html

Gump has a sense of humor at least

Q. You are obviously very aware of the high-pressure environment of the Red Sox.

GL: No, I'm not aware of that (laughing).

South Side Irish
12-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Awesome!

The Red Sox dumped almost $15 mil/year for a guy who will go nuts on the Devil Rays and O's, but get hurt once a week. Their RF will become a platoon, and yet another albatross around the neck of that franchise.

Again, who pitches for the Red Sox?

Thank you, Theo, for going bozo in the clown market. I just wish Hendry would have beaten you to it! :tongue:

Fenway
12-07-2006, 10:38 AM
They have essentially re-signed Trot Nixon to a 5 year $70M deal. If you look at the last 4 years of averages between Nixon and Drew, they have played in almost an identical number of games, almost identical average, almost identical RBIs, etc. Drew has averaged 5+ more home runs per season, though.

Boy Wonder got fleeced. :D:

Kevin Kennedy agrees with you

I'll say one thing. Scott Boras is a terrific agent who sells his players well and apparently Boston bought into it. To be honest about it, I think they should have simply re-signed Trot Nixon. I'm not saying that Drew is a bad sign, I'm simply saying I wouldn't have given him all that money. He's also a very selective hitter who will have to expand the zone in run-producing situations. In other words, he can't always take ball four on a pitch that's maybe an inch or two off the plate...

-- 12.6.06, Kevin Kennedy, FoxSports.com (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6244272)

Fenway
12-07-2006, 02:06 PM
the statheads on the Boston boards are discussing what Baseball Prospectus (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=48) projects for Drew in 2007.

14 HR 60 RBI

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=48

maurice
12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
what Baseball Prospectus (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=48) projects for Drew in 2007.
14 HR 60 RBI

Sounds about right.

palehozenychicty
12-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Sounds about right.

As if this deal couldn't get any more comical. They essentially traded Damon and Nixon for Drew, AND gave Drew a raise, for inferior production and lack of guts. At the rate they're going, it wouldn't shock me if they screw up the Daisuke deal.

SoxyStu
12-07-2006, 09:51 PM
As if this deal couldn't get any more comical. They essentially traded Damon and Nixon for Drew, AND gave Drew a raise, for inferior production and lack of guts. At the rate they're going, it wouldn't shock me if they screw up the Daisuke deal.

It gets sillier. MLB to investigate the Sawx for tamporing? Lots of teams want the Dodgers to file a suit, Colletti hasn't decided yet. Is it worth it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/08/sports/baseball/08chass.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

lakeviewsoxfan
12-07-2006, 09:59 PM
It gets sillier. MLB to investigate the Sawx for tamporing? Lots of teams want the Dodgers to file a suit, Colletti hasn't decided yet. Is it worth it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/08/sports/baseball/08chass.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

The best thing Bud Selig could do before he leaves is to ban Scum laden agents like Boras from the game.

Fenway
12-08-2006, 03:23 PM
The question Red Sox fans are asking after the Drew signing is why didn't they go after Abreu last July when they had the chance? They said it was the money but....

Theo is so far over his head it isn't funny

http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/projo_20061208_08jdcol.31c6656.html

Last July, the Sox could have had Bobby Abreu, who is on the books for $15.5 million in 2007, with a club option for '08 of $16 million. Instead, they let him go to the Yankees in exchange for four minor-leaguers -- none of them top prospects.
Over the last nine seasons, Abreu never has played less than 151 games. He has played 156 or more the last six consecutive years. Drew, in his eight full years in the majors, has played more than 135 games just twice, including last season, when he batted .283, with 20 homers and a career-high 100 RBI, while playing in 146 games for the Dodgers, also a career high.
Abreu, who, at 33, is two years older than Drew, hit .330 in 58 games for the Yankees after coming to New York from Philadelphia, with 7 homers and 42 RBI. His career average is .302, compared to Drew's .286, and his on-base percentage -- a figure worshipped by baseball's Stat Geeks -- is .412, while Drew's is .393. , who is on the books for $15.5 million in 2007, with a club option for '08 of $16 million. Instead, they let him go to the Yankees in exchange for four minor-leaguers -- none of them top prospects.
Over the last nine seasons, Abreu never has played less than 151 games. He has played 156 or more the last six consecutive years. Drew, in his eight full years in the majors, has played more than 135 games just twice, including last season, when he batted .283, with 20 homers and a career-high 100 RBI, while playing in 146 games for the Dodgers, also a career high.
Abreu, who, at 33, is two years older than Drew, hit .330 in 58 games for the Yankees after coming to New York from Philadelphia, with 7 homers and 42 RBI. His career average is .302, compared to Drew's .286, and his on-base percentage -- a figure worshipped by baseball's Stat Geeks -- is .412, while Drew's is .393.