PDA

View Full Version : Report: Mets and White Sox had discussed swapping Buehrle and Lastings Milledge

mikeybooyah
12-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Per rotoworld:

The Yankees and Mets are showing interest in Mark Buehrle, according to MLB.com.

MLB.com offered up a rumor last night that the Mets and White Sox had discussed swapping Buehrle and Lastings Milledge, but none of the New York or Chicago papers followed up on it, suggesting there wasn't much to it. The Yankees have Melky Cabrera to offer if the White Sox believe he can handle center field. Buehrle will become a free agent after making $9.5 million next season.

oeo
12-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Per rotoworld:

The Yankees and Mets are showing interest in Mark Buehrle, according to MLB.com.

MLB.com offered up a rumor last night that the Mets and White Sox had discussed swapping Buehrle and Lastings Milledge, but none of the New York or Chicago papers followed up on it, suggesting there wasn't much to it. The Yankees have Melky Cabrera to offer if the White Sox believe he can handle center field. Buehrle will become a free agent after making $9.5 million next season.

Swapping Buehrle and Milledge? *****...

MUsoxfan
12-05-2006, 03:57 PM
There had better be not much to it.

patbooyah
12-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Swapping Buehrle and Milledge? *****...

i'm guessing that stands for "Give Me A ****ing Buehrle."

mikeybooyah
12-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Also just saw this...I love rumors!

Phillies GM Pat Gillick is reportedly willing to send Aaron Rowand and either Ryan Madson or Gavin Floyd to the White Sox for Freddy Garcia.

It'd be a fair trade for both teams. We prefer the White Sox's side -- both Mark Buehrle and Javier Vazquez are more valuable properties than Garcia in our eyes -- but the Phillies probably wouldn't lose all that much going from Rowand to Shane Victorino.

patbooyah
12-05-2006, 04:04 PM

Phillies GM Pat Gillick is reportedly willing to send Aaron Rowand and either Ryan Madson or Gavin Floyd to the White Sox for Freddy Garcia.

It'd be a fair trade for both teams. We prefer the White Sox's side -- both Mark Buehrle and Javier Vazquez are more valuable properties than Garcia in our eyes -- but the Phillies probably wouldn't lose all that much going from Rowand to Shane Victorino.

GMAFRAM!

DSpivack
12-05-2006, 04:05 PM
GMAFRAM!

RAM?

CLR01
12-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Already discussed. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1429931&postcount=98)

samram
12-05-2006, 04:08 PM

Yeah I heard this on Philly radio this morning. Good for a laugh anyway.

SABRSox
12-05-2006, 04:09 PM

Hmm... Floyd is an interesting project. He was a 4th overall pick that just hasn't panned out for the Phillies. That's certainly a lot better than, blech, Milledge for Buehrle.

tstrike2000
12-05-2006, 04:11 PM
That particular trade is as likely as the Twins signing Barry-Roids.

Flight #24
12-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Given the prices of FA starters, and mostly mediocre-or-worse ones, I can't believe either of these. Milledge and/or Floyd+Rowand are starting points, not final deals. Neither offers a premium player or prospect, and I think KW would probably be better suited holding out and even beginning '07 with McCarthy in AAA and waiting until in-season to deal a pitcher. At worst you'd get the same type of deal.

SABRSox
12-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Given the prices of FA starters, and mostly mediocre-or-worse ones, I can't believe either of these. Milledge and/or Floyd+Rowand are starting points, not final deals. Neither offers a premium player or prospect, and I think KW would probably be better suited holding out and even beginning '07 with McCarthy in AAA and waiting until in-season to deal a pitcher. At worst you'd get the same type of deal.

I'll agree. Garcia/Vazquez (I've got to believe Kenny is going to extend Buehrle) are going to be clamored after as soon as both Zito and Schmidt sign, and whomever loses out on those guys (hopefully the Mets or the Rangers) and gonna come crawling, ready to give up either Otsuka/Danks or Milledge/Pelfrey. Kenny, as they say, is sitting in the catbird seat.

Ol' No. 2
12-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Given the prices of FA starters, and mostly mediocre-or-worse ones, I can't believe either of these. Milledge and/or Floyd+Rowand are starting points, not final deals. Neither offers a premium player or prospect, and I think KW would probably be better suited holding out and even beginning '07 with McCarthy in AAA and waiting until in-season to deal a pitcher. At worst you'd get the same type of deal.Kenny is trying to pull a Boras. The more rumors there are of teams being interested in one of his starters, the higher the price goes.

GM's can count. It's pretty simple math. The number of teams looking for starting pitchers greatly exceeds the number of decent ones available.

Norberto7
12-05-2006, 04:18 PM
RAM?

Rowand and Madson....come on, that's a pretty common initialism.

Flight #24
12-05-2006, 04:23 PM
After a bit of thought, I suppose that Madson+Floyd+Rowand COULD be done for say Garcia. I still think it's a poor return in the current market for SPs, but it would give the Sox 3 things they supposedlyt are looking for: a decent CF alternative, a young SP, and a young RP who could start as well. Kind of a "quantity over quality" return, which I'm not that fond of, but it does address a number of their needs albiet with only marginal upgrades for each.

But I'd hold out, and I assume Kenny will too.

Luke
12-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Kenny is trying to pull a Boras. The more rumors there are of teams being interested in one of his starters, the higher the price goes.

GM's can count. It's pretty simple math. The number of teams looking for starting pitchers greatly exceeds the number of decent ones available.

Right, and if he's learned anything from Boras, I hope it's that you only need one team to do something dumb.

SABRSox
12-05-2006, 04:24 PM
After a bit of thought, I suppose that Madson+Floyd+Rowand COULD be done for say Garcia. I still think it's a poor return in the current market for SPs, but it would give the Sox 3 things they supposedlyt are looking for: a decent CF alternative, a young SP, and a young RP who could start as well. Kind of a "quantity over quality" return, which I'm not that fond of, but it does address a number of their needs albiet with only marginal upgrades for each.

If that's the worst that Kenny can do with Garcia, this off-season is going to be looking pretty good for the White Sox.

patbooyah
12-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Rowand and Madson....come on, that's a pretty common initialism.

thank you. and for the record, i wasn't actually weighing in on this trade, i just wanted to play my new game.

Lip Man 1
12-05-2006, 05:51 PM
I would not deal Buehrle for Milledge straight up I know that much.

Lip

JB98
12-05-2006, 06:09 PM
I would not deal Buehrle for Milledge straight up I know that much.

Lip

Hell no. If Gil Meche is worth $11 million a year, than Mark Buerhle is worth much more than Milledge. I don't know why people think Milledge is such a great prospect. Probably because the FOBB like him.

caulfield12
12-05-2006, 06:12 PM

I can't imagine doing much better than this.

I imagine that Madson is off the table right now and it's just Floyd and Rowand for Garcia.

It really doesn't make a lot of sense for Philly to overpay for a one year rental, it's the same basic issue that exists with a Vernon Wells acquisition.

If it was Garland, I would EXPECT all three of those guys, and a little more.

KRS1
12-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Just tossing a scenario out there. Its been reported the Mets are talking to the Royals about Burgos. Perhaps KW gave the Mets a sort of, "you'll need to acquire one of these relievers" in addition to who they are offering list in order to complete a deal in place. Not that I like tossing wood on the crazy fire, but just saying, it's interesting to say the least as it would make sense for us.

RKMeibalane
12-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Hell no. If Gil Meche is worth $11 million a year, than Mark Buerhle is worth much more than Milledge. I don't know why people think Milledge is such a great prospect. Probably because the FOBB like him.

Agreed. He has talent, but I wasn't that impressed by anything he did last season. People were talking about him as though he were Eric Davis, Version 2.0, but I don't see it.

lumpyspun
12-05-2006, 06:36 PM
I used Madson's family tickets one time at a Phillies game. It was sweet...so I like him. However, I don't think I'm willing to see him come to the Sox in that particular deal...

caulfield12
12-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Just tossing a scenario out there. Its been reported the Mets are talking to the Royals about Burgos. Perhaps KW gave the Mets a sort of, "you'll need to acquire one of these relievers" in addition to who they are offering list in order to complete a deal in place. Not that I like tossing wood on the crazy fire, but just saying, it's interesting to say the least as it would make sense for us.

He was worse than Cleveland's bullpen-by-committee down the stretch, and I'm not sure how that is even possible.

Great stuff, questionable head.

I'm just not liking the idea of every single pitcher out of the pen coming with 94-98 MPH heat.

It almost forces us to take Haeger and LOOGY like Myers or Wunsch just as a different look.

KRS1
12-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Rosenthal is now reporting that the Burgos to Mets trade is close to a done deal.

ShoelessJoeS
12-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Rosenthal is now reporting that the Burgos to Mets trade is close to a done deal.Burgos to the Mets for who?

KRS1
12-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Burgos to the Mets for who?

This is what rotoworld has to say about it, but elsewhere it just says a pitching prospect.

We still have the feeling Brian Bannister might be involved here. Oliver Perez would also make sense, but he doesn't fit the description of a "pitching prospect," which is what Rosenthal says the Royals would get in return.

Now....

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal confirmed that it's Brian Bannister the Mets are likely to send to Kansas City for Ambiorix Burgos.
We like it, though as with the Jason Vargas deal with the Marlins last month, it's a trade that won't necessarily help the Mets next season. Burgos could very well begin the year in the minors unless he has a strong spring. Bannister, on the other hand, would be a strong candidate for a spot in Kansas City's rotation.

Update #2...

According to SI.com, the Mets and Royals have agreed to swap Ambiorix Burgos and Brian Bannister.
We give the Mets the advantage on this one, though Bannister will probably be of more help to the Royals next year than Burgos will to the Mets. Bannister has nothing more than fourth-starter upside and may settle in as a No. 5 or a middle reliever. Burgos, on the other hand, still projects as a very good reliever for the long-term.