PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 1000(Bruce Levine): Sox/Yanks working on Deal for RP

CPditka
12-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Bruce Levine, for whats it worth (and thats not much) reports that the Yanks and Sox were up late into the night trying to get a deal done that involved us sending one of our SP to the Bronx for Relief help, yet he didnt mention any names.

I pulled up the Yankees roster and they only have 2 Lefties out of the pen. Sean Henn & Mike Meyers. Neither of which I would trade one our starters for. Am I missing something, or is this rumor complete rubbish and the normal run of the mill junk from BRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCEEE.

Sox Fan 35
12-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Bruce Levine, for whats it worth (and thats not much) reports that the Yanks and Sox were up late into the night trying to get a deal done that involved us sending one of our SP to the Bronx for Relief help, yet he didnt mention any names.

I pulled up the Yankees roster and they only have 2 Lefties out of the pen. Sean Henn & Mike Meyers. Neither of which I would trade one our starters for. Am I missing something, or is this rumor complete rubbish and the normal run of the mill junk from BRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCEEE.

This sounds like a load of bull.

BeviBall!
12-05-2006, 01:54 PM
If it ain't A-rod, I ain't interested.

mjmcend
Dan (Chicago, IL): What do you think of the recent rumor of a meeting between Ken Williams and Brian Cashman?

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Gary Gillette: (2:48 PM ET ) I think the rumore is pretty reliable that the Yanks and Sox are seriously talking. Whether they can put together a deal is an open question, but the Sox are really pushing to move one of their disappointing starters. And the Yanks have the need for pitching and the money to pay for it.

oeo
There aren't many relievers I would trade a starting pitching for...and the Yankees certainly don't have them. It would have to be some sort of package in which we're getting more than relief pitching. Like Mike Meyers with an A-Rod throw-in, perhaps?

They actually have a couple of righties that I'd be interested in (Bruney and Britton), but for a starting pitcher? No thanks.

Sox Fan 35
12-05-2006, 01:56 PM
There aren't many relievers I would trade a starting pitching for...and the Yankees certainly don't have them. It would have to be some sort of package in which we're getting more than relief pitching.

Agreed. I don't see Kenny making a move like that.

Risk
12-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Sounds like more pure, unadulterated bull**** of the Bruce Levine variety.

Risk

DaleJRFan
12-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Mariano Rivera??? :o: :D:

I actually watched a Yankees game on MLB extra innings last season and Jeff Karstens looked like he had the goods. He only threw 8 or 9 innings this year, but he throws hard and had decent secondary pitches. In 2006 at AA, he was 6-0 with a 2.31 ERA. KW said he wants to get younger and deeper with the pitching staff, so it might make sense.

Maybe Scott Proctor + Jeff Karstens gets it done? Maybe that's too little in return for a reliable veteran 200IP starter who "pitches on a winning team".

FedEx227
12-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Phillip Hugues + Jeff Karstens for Garcia or Vazquez could work... for us.

Whats more realistic is Proctor + Karstens + some AA prospect throw in for Garcia or Vazquez.

JohnTucker0814
12-05-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm guessing they are working a 3 way trade. The Yankees get a SP from us, we recieve a Young SP from somewhere else and a Yankees prospect, plus the yankees send a couple prospects or something to another team. I don't know... the only guy I would want from the yankees is Hughes, and I'd assume they would rather get a Willis or someone for Hughes.

JUribe1989
12-05-2006, 02:19 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if we were trying to acquire more relief help. It would be a lot more realistic than the A-Rod trade anyways. That was too good to be true.

HotelWhiteSox
12-05-2006, 02:26 PM
I would say RP is one of our biggest issues so I was happy to read that we're focusing on that instead of looking at some big bat we don't really need, but the Yankees? They have the same problem and no middle reliever they have is worth one of our starters (no they're not going to trade Rivera)

Palehose13
12-05-2006, 02:26 PM
There aren't many relievers I would trade a starting pitching for...and the Yankees certainly don't have them. It would have to be some sort of package in which we're getting more than relief pitching. Like Mike Meyers with an A-Rod throw-in, perhaps?

They actually have a couple of righties that I'd be interested in (Bruney and Britton), but for a starting pitcher? No thanks.

Yep.

IMO, you don't trade an established MLB starter for a relief pithcer, unless of course the reliever is Rivera.

JohnTucker0814
12-05-2006, 02:30 PM
UNLESS... you are getting middle reliever and Phillip Hughes...

CLR01
12-05-2006, 02:33 PM
I think I'd rather do the Rowand trade.

MUsoxfan
12-05-2006, 02:33 PM
UNLESS... you are getting middle reliever and Phillip Hughes...

Still too little. Vincente Padilla is making $11m/per and he's not good. We have 6 above average SP's with light contracts. We can hold any team up for ransom

FedEx227
12-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Yep.

IMO, you don't trade an established MLB starter for a relief pithcer, unless of course the reliever is Rivera.

AYYYYEEEE! I like it :)

JermaineDye05
12-05-2006, 02:36 PM
I would love to get Scott Proctor, he looked real good against us and I'm sure Kenny wants another fireballer.

Wasn't he mid to high 90's?

Flight #24
12-05-2006, 02:37 PM
IMO this could be akin to the rumored Texas deal for Otsuka/Danks. Instead, you get one of the Yanks RPs and Hughes, who IIRC is more highly thought of and closer to the bigs than Danks.

If not, I don't get it. KW stands back, watches the value of his guys appreciate, then dumps a very cheap veteran starter to a team that doesn't really value salary flexibility for little return?:?:

I don't buy it for a second. This is an ARod or a Hughes deal. NY is the perfect team to work the latter with since they always figure they can go buy the best & brightest FA and therefore their prospects are somewhat devalued to them, plus they have a significant mandate to win now and this type of deal would certainly do that.

Of course, I like the idea that it's Garcia+Crede for ARod+RP!:bandance: :gulp: :gulp:

Jjav829
12-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Still too little. Vincente Padilla is making $11m/per and he's not good. We have 6 above average SP's with light contracts. We can hold any team up for ransom

Right, but we're also trying to trade pitchers who are under contract for only one more season. While a guy like Garcia has tremendous value because of what he will make in 2007, he's still only signed for one year.

The Yankees don't have the pitching to get a starter from us at this point. They wanna talk Arod, fine. Anything else, no thanks.

FedEx227
12-05-2006, 02:51 PM
IMO this could be akin to the rumored Texas deal for Otsuka/Danks. Instead, you get one of the Yanks RPs and Hughes, who IIRC is more highly thought of and closer to the bigs than Danks.

If not, I don't get it. KW stands back, watches the value of his guys appreciate, then dumps a very cheap veteran starter to a team that doesn't really value salary flexibility for little return?:?:

I don't buy it for a second. This is an ARod or a Hughes deal. NY is the perfect team to work the latter with since they always figure they can go buy the best & brightest FA and therefore their prospects are somewhat devalued to them, plus they have a significant mandate to win now and this type of deal would certainly do that.

Of course, I like the idea that it's Garcia+Crede for ARod+RP!:bandance: :gulp: :gulp:

That's why I'm not buying what I'm hearing so far.

As stated above SP for RP is never a good idea, but now even more so it's lopsided beyond belief. I gotta believe that Hughes or A-Rod have to be apart of this deal or Kenny is not listening.

JohnTucker0814
12-05-2006, 03:03 PM
I gotta wonder why we would jump on a RP and Hughes for Garcia or Vazquez? Although pitching is at a premium, there aren't many top notch SP talents like hughes http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Philip%20Hughes&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=461833

We would then be moving McCarthy to the rotation in 07...

Hopefully resign Buehrle and 08 would look like:

1. Contreras
2. Buehrle
3. Garland
4. McCarthy
5. Hughes

As long as we receive a RP in return for our starter and a young SP that has 4-5 yrs of cheap control it is a huge win for the Sox!

santo=dorf
12-05-2006, 03:26 PM
KW was interested in Farnsworth before the 2005 season, and I'd take him for 2007 simply because it's an odd numbered year. Oh yeah, get Mike Myers too.

Ol' No. 2
12-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Jeez, people, take a breath. You all know how these rumors are. Kenny's not an idiot. More than likely the reliever is a part of a deal that they're discussing. Nobody trades a starter for a reliever straight up.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Yep.

Circa 1998 or so. This version is on his last legs.

caulfield12
12-05-2006, 04:16 PM

it begins and ends with myers, proctor or bruney...unless they want to give us Rivera?

seriously, no Farnsworth please

Domeshot17
12-05-2006, 04:31 PM
it begins and ends with myers, proctor or bruney...unless they want to give us Rivera?

seriously, no Farnsworth please

:whiner: My Eyes:whiner:

Brian26
12-05-2006, 08:09 PM
The guy that impressed the hell out of me last year was Scott Proctor. But there's no way he's worth a starting pitcher.

Ventura Fan 23
12-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Perhaps he wants to trade for the prospects that the Yankees received from Detroit?

Domeshot17
12-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Kenny said during his media time that any deal with the yankees is all but dead. Said they were not a good fit, and brian (cashman) doesnt want to improve the sox, and Kenny said he didnt want to improve the Yankees (did mention him and Cashman are great friends)

palehozenychicty
12-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Kenny said during his media time that any deal with the yankees is all but dead. Said they were not a good fit, and brian (cashman) doesnt want to improve the sox, and Kenny said he didnt want to improve the Yankees (did mention him and Cashman are great friends)

Not really surprising. We may be in the ALCS against them, so why help them out?

Beautox
12-05-2006, 11:17 PM
Perhaps he wants to trade for the prospects that the Yankees received from Detroit?

Agreed if they want one of our SP the names i want coming back are Sanchez, Clippard and Cabrera.

Now that Podsednik has a price tag next to his name and with a theoretical acquisition of Cabrera, we could move Scott to the Padres or Rockies. The sox would be set for 07; Sanchez was ready to open 06 on the tigers ML roster out of ST but got sidelined with injuries. Put him in the pen and we've got that "nasty" BP Ozzie and KW covet. Possibly in the future Sanchez works his way into rotation.

Tyler is alot like McCarthy hes been one of the youngest players at each level of competion and his body type and motion is strikingly similar, he should be ready by late 07 and contending for a spot in 08. The Yankees aren't going to give up Hughes.

caulfield12
12-06-2006, 02:52 AM
Agreed if they want one of our SP the names i want coming back are Sanchez, Clippard and Cabrera.

Now that Podsednik has a price tag next to his name and with a theoretical acquisition of Cabrera, we could move Scott to the Padres or Rockies. The sox would be set for 07; Sanchez was ready to open 06 on the tigers ML roster out of ST but got sidelined with injuries. Put him in the pen and we've got that "nasty" BP Ozzie and KW covet. Possibly in the future Sanchez works his way into rotation.

Tyler is alot like McCarthy hes been one of the youngest players at each level of competion and his body type and motion is strikingly similar, he should be ready by late 07 and contending for a spot in 08. The Yankees aren't going to give up Hughes.

The problem is that we also might need a CFer, and Cabrera's not a clear upgrade at that position over Anderson.

CPditka
12-06-2006, 11:03 AM
I keep hearing Buerhle for Sanchez+more

well see, I think we can do better.

UserNameBlank
12-06-2006, 11:05 AM
I keep hearing Buerhle for Sanchez+more

well see, I think we can do better.

It better be a lot more. A whole lot more.

roylestillman
12-06-2006, 12:58 PM
It is Wednesday... Something's going to pop today

Jjav829
12-06-2006, 01:10 PM
It is Wednesday... Something's going to pop today

Nope. Thursday is the new Wednesday. We're gonna have to wait until tomorrow. :smile:

Unregistered
12-06-2006, 03:19 PM

"Brian Cashman is a buddy of mine, and we spend a lot of time with each other," Williams said. "As a matter of fact, we were with each other till 2 a.m. (Tuesday) and we couldn't come up with anything then, and I don't think there will be anything that comes up with the Yankees. There's just not a fit for us.

I have no interest in getting them better, and he's got no interest in getting us better."

Domeshot17
12-06-2006, 03:32 PM
am I missing something? Isnt that exactly what I said?

DaleJRFan
12-06-2006, 03:34 PM

Uh.. I think he was just posting KW's exact quote...

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-06-2006, 03:47 PM
I heard a trade including MB for Melky Cabrera, or some double trade including Mb/Crede for Melky/A-Rod (yeah, right). It's probably a rumor to wake up a very dormant Chicago.

Unregistered
12-06-2006, 03:58 PM

Uh.. I think he was just posting KW's exact quote...

Ding ding ding! Take it easy, fella... :gulp:

Flight #24
12-06-2006, 04:16 PM
I heard a trade including MB for Melky Cabrera,
:puking:
or some double trade including Mb/Crede for Melky/A-Rod (yeah, right). It's probably a rumor to wake up a very dormant Chicago.
:bandance:

BRDSR
12-06-2006, 04:43 PM
If there's something I like to hear, it's that KW is talking to Brian Cashman. That man has got to be the worst GM in the history of $100 million payrolls. If KW makes a deal with Cashman, I expect it will be a steal for the Chicago White Sox.

Domeshot17
12-06-2006, 05:11 PM
my fault, with the bolde lines, wasnt sure if you were going for emphasis or if i misqouted something, sorry

oeo
12-06-2006, 05:32 PM
If there's something I like to hear, it's that KW is talking to Brian Cashman. That man has got to be the worst GM in the history of $100 million payrolls. If KW makes a deal with Cashman, I expect it will be a steal for the Chicago White Sox.

I think there's a guy in Boston that owns that title, with the guy on the North Side becoming a strong contender.

I think it's more of Steinbrenner than Cashman, he just does what he's told (it seems).