PDA

View Full Version : Pujols Apologizes (Clarifies?)

fquaye149
12-05-2006, 09:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2685770

apparently he feels his comments were portrayed inaccurately and deeply regrets if he slighted Ryan Howard.

Keep in mind that his comments appeared in a foreign language newspaper

MUsoxfan
12-05-2006, 10:39 AM
PR move to save face.

fquaye149
12-05-2006, 02:23 PM
PR move to save face.

Could be. I assume you saw the original spanish text of the interview en todo?

Palehose13
12-05-2006, 02:31 PM
I like Pujols a lot, but I don't see how anything was lost in translation or clarified.

From article:
Speaking in Spanish at a news conference in the Dominican Republic last week, Pujols was quoted as saying: "I see it this way: Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP."

What I want to know is how should it have been translated?

jenn2080
12-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Of course he did because he looked like an ******* :rolleyes:

MUsoxfan
12-05-2006, 02:59 PM
I like Pujols a lot, but I don't see how anything was lost in translation or clarified.

From article:

What I want to know is how should it have been translated?

I agree. Get the thesaurus out and jumble the words around all you want, it still comes off as pure *******

fquaye149
12-05-2006, 03:08 PM
I agree. Get the thesaurus out and jumble the words around all you want, it still comes off as pure *******

He claims what he said was lost in translation. The quote came from a translation. I haven't seen an original source. I don't speak native spanish to know what the possible nuances in this translation would be

Therefore, I think it's a bit presumptious to assume he said something, got embarrassed about it, and made up a lie to take it back, especially since none of us have seen the source text.

And especially when the player in question has a track record of being a decent guy.

RadioheadRocks
12-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Clarifying? More like backpedaling.

fquaye149
12-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Clarifying? More like backpedaling.

So you say.

Palehose13
12-06-2006, 03:20 PM
He claims what he said was lost in translation. The quote came from a translation. I haven't seen an original source. I don't speak native spanish to know what the possible nuances in this translation would be

Therefore, I think it's a bit presumptious to assume he said something, got embarrassed about it, and made up a lie to take it back, especially since none of us have seen the source text.

And especially when the player in question has a track record of being a decent guy.

He is a decent guy, but I would feel much better if he would state in English what was lost in translation. Because you know Albert Pujols should be all about making me happy. :D:

fquaye149
12-06-2006, 07:14 PM
He is a decent guy, but I would feel much better if he would state in English what was lost in translation. Because you know Albert Pujols should be all about making me happy. :D:

I think that's a fair assessment.

I really don't know how well Pujols speaks english though.

Who knows. Maybe he really is a jerk.

Myrtle72
12-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Who knows. Maybe he really is a jerk.

I think regardless of what was actually said... we should take into consideration the fact that all of these guys are under a huge microscope (as are any celebrities). They are human too, you know. Not that that would excuse anything that was said but sometimes things like this can get blown a little out of proportion.

South Side Irish
12-06-2006, 09:05 PM
No offense, fquaye149, but I don't think you have to be Pujols' defense team here. He was wrong, acted like a ****, and this is a pretty clear PR move. There's nothing lost in translation there, other than a case of somebody comletely paraphrasing what Al said.

I am a big Cardinal fan. Albert Pujols is my favorite player. I LOVE THE CARDINALS. Is that clear? Now, Pujols was wrong, and his attitude is changing for the worse. I don't like it, nor should any baseball fan. I miss humble Albert, actually.