PDA

View Full Version : Sox interested in Meche

Craig Grebeck
12-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Technically, Meche has until Thursday to accept arbitration. But the reality is that he is weighing his options, among whom are the White Sox, the Blue Jays and the Mets. Sources suggest Toronto is the likeliest destination for the right-handed starter and that he will decline arbitration.
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/archives/109354.asp

This one has me baffled.

oeo
12-04-2006, 10:44 PM
I think it's official...the Sox are involved in every acquisition possible.

Seriously, there are not many rumors without the Sox being somehow 'involved'.

JB98
12-04-2006, 10:55 PM
Are the Sox trying to drive up the price for somebody else? Categorically, we do not need Gil Meche.

buehrle4cy05
12-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Are the Sox trying to drive up the price for somebody else? Categorically, we do not need Gil Meche.

That's the only way this is true. Maybe Kenny's trying to drive up Meche's value so he'll get a good $11 million/year, making any of the three starters that KW's looking to trade that more valuable.

Tragg
12-04-2006, 11:51 PM
I just heard STeve Phillips term this a "Gil Meche sweepstakes"....I'm sorry, but if it's a sweepstakes for the rights to Meche, we should get a fortune back for one of our pitchers.

MUsoxfan
12-04-2006, 11:53 PM
I just heard STeve Phillips term this a "Gil Meche sweepstakes"....I'm sorry, but if it's a sweepstakes for the rights to Meche, we should get a fortune back for one of our pitchers.

He was dispendable from my AWFUL fantasy team last year. To think there's a "sweepstakes" for him is sickening

lumpyspun
12-05-2006, 12:10 AM
As someone who is married to a Mariners nut, lives in Seattle, and attended many M's games last year....Meche is arrrful.

The only good he could bring is to help fill the void of bullpen coach that Man Soo left open...

soxinem1
12-05-2006, 07:20 AM
As someone who is married to a Mariners nut, lives in Seattle, and attended many M's games last year....Meche is arrrful.

The only good he could bring is to help fill the void of bullpen coach that Man Soo left open...

like many of the SP free agents out there!!!:smile:

Domeshot17
12-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Kenny has always liked Meche. I dont think he would seriously consider the project that is Gil Meche for 11 a year, but I know Kenny has been trying to pick him up for a while. Maybe he saw something in him and, in typical WSI fashion went, COOP CAN FIX HIM, HE CAN FIX ANYONE.

White Sox Randy
12-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Kenny has always liked Meche. I dont think he would seriously consider the project that is Gil Meche for 11 a year, but I know Kenny has been trying to pick him up for a while. Maybe he saw something in him and, in typical WSI fashion went, COOP CAN FIX HIM, HE CAN FIX ANYONE.

Exactly. KW has wanted him for some time and I think he would probably be a good pickup for the Sox - but not a what he will get in this market.

The only thing Kenny can try to sell him on is a shot at the World Series for a discount.

soxinem1
12-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Exactly. KW has wanted him for some time and I think he would probably be a good pickup for the Sox - but not a what he will get in this market.

The only thing Kenny can try to sell him on is a shot at the World Series for a discount.

The we'll have a highly sought-after seven man rotation!!!

103 screwball
12-05-2006, 11:10 AM
If this is true, KW must plan to deal 2 of his starters. One could go for AROD one could go for Wells with Crede and prospects to make the deals happen. Just for fun (not my serious prediction):

LF Pods
CF Wells
SS AROD
DH Thome
RF Dye
1B Konerko
2B Iguchi
C AJ
3B Uribe or Fields

JC
JG
Jv
Fingernails on a blackboard
Meche

I'm sure you guys can come up with other options that could work substituting Dontrelle Willis, Manny, M Young. If this Meche thing is true, KW might be willing to accept a big upgrade in Offense as long as it is not a big downgrade in pitching and he still has 5 starters that he is happy with. We have no idea what KW will come up with if he feels it will improve the Sox and if the Sox give him the cash to work with.

Sox Fan 35
12-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Let the Cubs or someone else overpay for him.

White Sox Randy
12-05-2006, 11:38 AM
The we'll have a highly sought-after seven man rotation!!!

Yes. A month ago I thought it was very likely that Kenny would sign a F.A. starter or trade for one and then trade 2 of our original 5.

But, now with this market, it looks like the F.A. thing is out for Kenny and I don't blame him.

Now, it looks like they'll extend Buhrle and trade Garcia and Vazzquez but get back a young guy that's ready to start now in one of the deals.

But, I think that Kenny could hold out until February to make these deals. He'll wait until some teams start to puke for lack of starting pitching and then they'll pay up big time.

White Sox Randy
12-05-2006, 12:03 PM
I really believe that if Omarr doesn't get what he needs in the way of starting pitching that he wants Vazquez so much the Sox will be able to get some combination of 2 of these 4 : Milledge, Heilmann, Humber or Pelfrey.

And, I would take that deal - any 2 for Vazquez.

JB98
12-05-2006, 12:20 PM

That's the thing that worries me: Sometimes Kenny gets fixated on a certain player, and he moves heaven and earth to acquire that player (see Vazquez, Javier). I don't want to see the Sox get involved in the "Gil Meche sweepstakes." For Christ's sake, the guy has only had one season where he's won more than 11 games in his whole career.

soxinem1
12-05-2006, 03:22 PM
I really believe that if Omarr doesn't get what he needs in the way of starting pitching that he wants Vazquez so much the Sox will be able to get some combination of 2 of these 4 : Milledge, Heilmann, Humber or Pelfrey.

And, I would take that deal - any 2 for Vazquez.

My prediction is that Omar wants Garcia or Vasquez, and will get at least one of them. I also predict Aaron Heilman will be wearing White Sox pinstripes in 2007.

This is how it unfolds:

Sox send Freddie or Javier to NYM.

Sox receive Heilman and three young players, one a ML ready OF (Milledge?).

Sox shed a salary and a starter (and about $14 million in salary between the starter, Hermanson, and Politte).

Sox get the OF they want and two hotshots for the farm.

Sox fill the spot in the pen, and have a starter in Heilman if one goes down.

Omar gets one of the guys he had his sights on.

KW then looks good, as he improved the team, and actually kept the payroll at the 2006 level, even with raises factored in.

Sound good?

White Sox Randy
12-06-2006, 08:53 AM
That sounds good except for 2 things:

1. No way do the Mets give the Sox Heilmann, Milledge and 2 more young players ?

2. I don't think the Sox really want Milledge. They might flip him if they get him which would be fine.

FedEx227
12-06-2006, 09:01 AM
That sounds good except for 2 things:

1. No way do the Mets give the Sox Heilmann, Milledge and 2 more young players ?

2. I don't think the Sox really want Milledge. They might flip him if they get him which would be fine.

Um you do realize Heilmann and Milledge have been their top prizes since Wright/Reyes. Long story short, the Mets don't want to trade their prospects right now for fear of trading their next David Wright or Jose Reyes. Let alone the fact that they would trade 2 of their best prospects and what you're claiming is another "hot shot" for Garcia or Vazquez. Milledge has been their big guy for 2-3 years now and Heilmann was a first-round draft pick.

They aren't Dan Duquette stupid anymore.

White Sox Randy
12-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Firstly, I didn't say they would trade MIlledge and HEILMANN AND MORE.

I said 2 of their 4 best prospects. The Mets WILL give that up if they can't get the pitching they need thru F.A.

Ofcourse they don't want to -no team wants to give up their best prospects but those guys aren't going to win 15-20 games for the Mets NEXT year.

Lastly, Milledge's stock has dropped considerably in the last year.

MRM
12-06-2006, 04:08 PM
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/archives/109354.asp

This one has me baffled.

It was a mis-print. It should have read Cubs, Blue Jays and Mets as has been reported by numerous sources.