PDA

View Full Version : Padilla reaches agreement with the Rangers

WizardsofOzzie
12-04-2006, 10:11 PM
3 years/$34 million........not bad for a guy who's only 5 games over .500 in his career. :?:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2686441

SoxSpeed22
12-04-2006, 10:17 PM
I was kinda hoping that he could go to the NL where he can get plunked on a regular basis. Like I said earlier, I'm not going to wish anything bad against him, although I will certainly cheer it if anything happens.

buehrle4cy05
12-04-2006, 10:21 PM
What this is going to do is skyrocket the amount of $$$ guys like Ted Lilly and Jeff Suppan are going to get. If Padilla gets over $11 million per year, then what's stopping Ted Lilly or Jeff Suppan from asking for $12-$13 million/year?

FedEx227
12-04-2006, 10:23 PM
What this is going to do is skyrocket the amount of $$$ guys like Ted Lilly and Jeff Suppan are going to get. If Padilla gets over $11 million per year, then what's stopping Ted Lilly or Jeff Suppan from asking for $12-$13 million/year?

http://www.thecubdom.com/images/hendry/hendry_office.jpg
"Nothing at all!"

buehrle4cy05
12-04-2006, 10:26 PM
http://www.thecubdom.com/images/hendry/hendry_office.jpg
"Nothing at all!"

It's funny how just two years ago Lilly would be begging to get $7 million.

Ah, how the times have changed.

oeo
12-04-2006, 10:47 PM
3 years/$34 million........not bad for a guy who's only 5 games over .500 in his career. :?:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2686441

Damn, I was hoping that bastard would have to suffer in a Flub uniform.

WizardsofOzzie
12-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Damn, I was hoping that bastard would have to suffer in a Flub uniform.
Would have made the crosstown even more interesting than it already is

samram
12-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Zito and Schmidt may demand $1 billion the way this is going.

So Padilla makes more than Garcia or Buehrle or Contreras or Garland? KW should be able to turn one of them into something very nice.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Zito and Schmidt may demand $1 billion the way this is going.

So Padilla makes more than Garcia or Buehrle or Contreras or Garland? KW should be able to turn one of them into something very nice.

He will.

Flight #24
12-04-2006, 11:33 PM
FWIW, this deal makes me think the guy that'll get dealt is Vazquez. He really improved through the year, and whoever gets him will have his rights for 2 years at a reasonable price. That alone could make him more attractive than Garcia or Buehrle even though he's most likely a lesser pitcher. I still think most likely scenario is Vaz to the Mets for Milledge & Pelfrey/Humber or to Texas for something built on Danks/Masset/Diamond.

And I'd hope KW can resign one or both of Freddy/Mark at a somewhat reasonable price (given the market, anyway - probably something like $12-13M/yr).

Trav
12-05-2006, 12:25 AM
FWIW, this deal makes me think the guy that'll get dealt is Vazquez. He really improved through the year, and whoever gets him will have his rights for 2 years at a reasonable price. That alone could make him more attractive than Garcia or Buehrle even though he's most likely a lesser pitcher. I still think most likely scenario is Vaz to the Mets for Milledge & Pelfrey/Humber or to Texas for something built on Danks/Masset/Diamond.

And I'd hope KW can resign one or both of Freddy/Mark at a somewhat reasonable price (given the market, anyway - probably something like $12-13M/yr).

If either of those guys signs a $12 deal, they will have given the Sox that hometown discount that is always talked about.

MUsoxfan
12-05-2006, 12:43 AM
If either of those guys signs a $12 deal, they will have given the Sox that hometown discount that is always talked about.

I think one or both would take it, and I'm serious when I say that. Garland took it

TheVulture
12-05-2006, 01:49 AM

Yeah, but he is a 4-time member of the All-Ugly team.

oeo
12-05-2006, 01:51 AM

I'm telling you, Kenny needs to sign Buehrle now. Last year he was off, but I highly doubt he's just suddenly become terrible. Get him while he's cheap.

I think one or both would take it, and I'm serious when I say that. Garland took it

It's funny to think that when he was re-signed, many thought we overpaid...Garland is a bargain.

Trav
12-05-2006, 05:21 PM

I hope so but I think to take any kind of discount they would want a no trade clause, which Garland has. I think.

It would be interesting to see what Garland would do this offseason as opposed to last. The market seems to have inflated a ton just since last year. I could see Garland bringing in a 15-16 million $$$$$ deal on the FA market this year.