PDA

View Full Version : well said Mr.Ramsey...

harwar
07-31-2001, 09:41 AM
The "tale of two cities"article by Chip Ramsey was without a doubt the best i've ever read on this site.Usually when i read those its just rambling and whinning and complaining.But with this one i hung on every word as though it came from me personally.Its all so very true,what Ramsey said.It seems as though as White Sox fans we are living under a curse.Might next year be the time when this curse is lifted?One can only hope and pray,because if the cubs make it to the World Series,its going to be dark,dark days for White Sox fans.

mak_nas
07-31-2001, 10:17 AM
As a practical matter, the Sox are 8.5 out of the division and the wild card on July 31. This is not contention. Mr. Ramsey ought to know that. The Sox should and are starting to play for next year.

I want to see the Sox get as much experience as possible for Garland, Wright, Crede, Rowand, Liefer and the rest of the kids that are going to be making the difference for the Sox in 2003 (after the strike...) There's no point in hanging on any longer for 2001. Trade Singleton, Perry, Alomar, and anyone else that doesn't fit into the Sox' intermediate-term plans.

It's in this part of the season that successful organizations turn losing years into learning experiences. Let's hope the Sox and Kenny Williams can do so.

KingXerxes
07-31-2001, 12:45 PM
Management is really starting to make me wonder out loud if they have any clue as to what is going on here. I agree that we're 8 1/2 out, and it would be tough to make a run at the division, but here we are - facing sub .500 teams for the next three weeks as Minnesota melts down and Cleveland can't field a starting rotation - and we can't seem to make up our minds as to what the game plan is. We trade Baldwin, and get absolutely nothing in return - so we're calling it a year right? Maybe, because now we don't seem to be shopping any of the other guys who aren't in next year's plan right? Well maybe......my goodness Reinsdorf - Commit one way or another. We obviously could have picked up (very cheaply) a couple of players to try and make a run at this thing - or we could have traded to pick up help for next year - but what have we done? Who knows. It's obvious that they're trying to do both at the same time - and we'll probably end up with neither.

Think about it, we could have gotten Schmidt from Pittsburgh for a song, while keeping Baldwin. Then you go into the last two months with Schmidt, Baldwin, Burleigh, Lowe and Wells as your rotation. I guarantee you would make up ground on Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota, and Boston with that rotation. Add Michael Tucker in center.....damn.

KingXerxes
07-31-2001, 03:14 PM
Two more who get traded for a box of rubber bands (although to be fair to Colorado - Elarton may just be having a bad year) in Williams and Astacio, and we sit and watch the clock tick to the deadline expiration...........doing nothing.

Classic management indecision.

Mathew
07-31-2001, 03:19 PM
What exactly were all the trades? Mike Williams is good how'd he go?

KingXerxes
07-31-2001, 03:21 PM
Williams was traded for some unimpressive AAA pitcher, while Astacio was traded even up for Elarton.

I'm telling you this is driving me nuts. I think we should be out there trying to make a deal or two to see if we can't make the playoffs.

Mathew
07-31-2001, 03:26 PM
What is Pittsburgh doing? Was Williams up for new contract or did he sleep with the managers wife? It's not like they have a big payroll. Elarton for Astacio is two pitchers who have had one good season and this year are just brutal. Astacio can be dominant but rarely. Elarton has an upside but I wouldn't say this makes either team significantly better. Williams looks good though

KingXerxes
07-31-2001, 03:42 PM
I've got to believe that Pittsburgh is unloading any and all salary so they can sign a couple of big names in the offseason and try to sell tickets based upon the hopes of "next year".

Does that sound familiar - a team peddling hope as their primary commodity?

Jerry_Manuel
07-31-2001, 03:44 PM
Does that sound familiar - a team peddling hope as their primary commodity?

:hawk
Now I know you aren't talking about the White Sox King. Maybe the Indians team I played on would do that but not this first class organization.

KingXerxes
07-31-2001, 04:01 PM

"Yessir.........A team peddling hope. Why I remember a time when I was in Kansas City playing for Ol' Charlie Finley - now there was a showman. Ol' Charlie used to have live animals grazing just past the outfield fences. Why one time I saw Ol' Lindy McDaniel step into a pile of dung up to his knee out there right in centerfield.....Mercy!.... Ol' Lindy - he could put more Beechnut into his mouth than anybody since Eddie Gaedel.

:DJ

"But Eddie Gaedel was the midget who pinch hit for the Browns when Bill Veeck owned them. I don't remember seeing him chewing any tobacco."

"Yessir.......Ol' Lindy McDaniel."

Jerry_Manuel
07-31-2001, 04:06 PM
Man how I have missed those Hawk impressions King.
I don't know how you do it, but you have a gift.

KingXerxes
07-31-2001, 05:19 PM
I sit.

I listen.

I get infuriated.

I shut off the television.

That pretty much sums it up with me.