PDA

View Full Version : Octavio Dotel

caulfield12
12-04-2006, 04:31 PM
He's supposedly the hottest relief pitcher left on the market, which means he probably won't be coming to the White Sox, due to salary and the fact he wants to close. I think there are 4 teams looking at him as their closer, possibly the Indians and Royals in our division.

Does anyone think he would be worth the money?

Anyone have any concerns about Jenks from the way he ended the season? Rumors about hip problems, the weight and conditioning problem earlier in the season...? Has anyone heard anything about his "workouts" that were being supervised all off-season in Chicago? His velocity was down 2-4 MPH from much of 2005, especially the 2nd half.

Borowski is also being looked at by the Indians as a closer.

Not many ex-closers left on the market (from recent years), Jose Mesa is about the closest, along w/ Dotel and Borowski.

nysox35
12-04-2006, 05:18 PM
At the $ he will command, I'd pass. He'd probably be our #4 reliever.
I saw him a decent amount in NY and he is a shadow of his former Houston self, let alone his Oakland self.

He wouldn't close for us and would want to much money.

DaleJRFan
12-04-2006, 05:47 PM
He's supposedly the hottest relief pitcher left on the market, which means he probably won't be coming to the White Sox, due to salary and the fact he wants to close. I think there are 4 teams looking at him as their closer, possibly the Indians and Royals in our division.

Does anyone think he would be worth the money?

Anyone have any concerns about Jenks from the way he ended the season? Rumors about hip problems, the weight and conditioning problem earlier in the season...? Has anyone heard anything about his "workouts" that were being supervised all off-season in Chicago? His velocity was down 2-4 MPH from much of 2005, especially the 2nd half.

Borowski is also being looked at by the Indians as a closer.

Not many ex-closers left on the market (from recent years), Jose Mesa is about the closest, along w/ Dotel and Borowski.

If there are any issues with Jenks being the closer, I am fairly certain MacDougal would be just as effective as the Sox closer. The issue then becomes moving all of the bullpen roles up one each... so who then becomes the righthanded setup man? Aardsma? Tracey? etc.....

KW has already said a few times he won't be making any FA acquisitions, all new players will come via trade. Mike Gonzalez? Brian Fuentes? Brandon Lyon?

We'll just have to wait and see what's up ol' KW's sleeve.

caulfield12
12-04-2006, 06:06 PM
I think Gonzalez would cost too much...they would probably ask for more than Fields or Sweeney (or maybe one of those two with Haeger or Broadway), like McCarthy.

Lyon is the closest, Fuentes...not sure if the cost would be worth the impact?

I didn't see Dotel down the stretch with NYY, so I was curious what other perceptions were from baseball observers.

Sox Fan 35
12-04-2006, 06:27 PM
I don't really want Dotel on the Sox.

Not many ex-closers left on the market

What about Gagne?

SABRSox
12-04-2006, 06:35 PM
What about Gagne?

Gagne wants guaranteed money, and someone will be stupid enough to give it to him.

Sox Fan 35
12-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Gagne wants guaranteed money, and someone will be stupid enough to give it to him.

I don't really want the Sox to sign him, I was wondering if he was still out there.

veeter
12-04-2006, 07:00 PM
To me, Dotel is a long armer that is over rated. He throws hard, but isn't that good.

Sox Fan 35
12-04-2006, 07:06 PM
To me, Dotel is a long armer that is over rated. He throws hard, but isn't that good.

He also has injury issues.

Tragg
12-04-2006, 10:26 PM
I saw him a decent amount in NY and he is a shadow of his former Houston self, let alone his Oakland self.

I saw him pitch a lot in Houston, which were his good days, and he was quite an arsonist there in the 9th inning.