PDA

View Full Version : Sox Glendale move takes hit

skobabe8
12-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Arizona Daily Star reports Reds arent likely to fill the Tucson spot left by a Sox move.

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/158645

Fenway
12-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Arizona Daily Star reports Reds arent likely to fill the Tucson spot left by a Sox move.

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/158645

Cleveland is the team most likely to go to Tucson as they want out of Winter Haven.

michned
12-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Cleveland is the team most likely to go to Tucson as they want out of Winter Haven.

I don't have a link handy but I remember Indians management saying that if the Goodyear stadium falls through, they are staying in Florida, and they specifically said they will not come to Tucson.

I still see Glendale or private business coming up with the money to give to the Sox so that they can pay off the Tucson lease. But shame on the state of Arizona if they let that happen.

sox230
12-04-2006, 04:27 PM
As long as Glendale has something to do with the BCS, I want no part of it.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

MarySwiss
12-04-2006, 04:50 PM
I don't have a link handy but I remember Indians management saying that if the Goodyear stadium falls through, they are staying in Florida, and they specifically said they will not come to Tucson.

I still see Glendale or private business coming up with the money to give to the Sox so that they can pay off the Tucson lease. But shame on the state of Arizona if they let that happen.
Yep, that's been reported a couple of times.

CHISOXFAN13
12-04-2006, 05:04 PM
As long as Glendale has something to do with the BCS, I want no part of it.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

YEAH, the Sox should stay away because poor Michigan doesn't get to play in the game hosted by Glendale. Hell, Glendale should just say no to the BCS and all the money they'll bring in, too.

:whiner:

Fenway
12-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Don't be so harsh on Glendale. They have to put up with the Phoenix Coyotes all winter......

Still can't figure out why anyone would want to live in Arizona :?:

I want Mags back
12-04-2006, 05:31 PM
my cousins live in glendale.

thankfully no one from michigan has to visit there now

NorthSideSox72
12-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Don't be so harsh on Glendale. They have to put up with the Phoenix Coyotes all winter......

Have you lived in Chicago for a winter?

Fenway
12-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Have you lived in Chicago for a winter?

Yes 6 of them. One Saturday night in 1982 I shivered under a sun lamp at the Howard L to meet some friends at a bar because my engine was frozen solid. The temp was -29 with a wind chill of -90. Delightful.

At least Florida has the ocean. Arizona not my cup of tea.

MarySwiss
12-04-2006, 06:08 PM

We're even. I can't understand why anyone would want to live in Bawston. Or anywhere else on the East Coast, for that matter.

Gotta go, now. Hot tub time. :cool:

Steelrod
12-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Yes 6 of them. One Saturday night in 1982 I shivered under a sun lamp at the Howard L to meet some friends at a bar because my engine was frozen solid. The temp was -29 with a wind chill of -90. Delightful.

Sometimes the ocean ends up in your living room!
Haven't had a golf game cancelled due to rain in 18 years. I love the Valley of the Sun!

1951Campbell
12-04-2006, 07:09 PM
We're even. I can't understand why anyone would want to live in Bawston. Or anywhere else on the East Coast, for that matter.

Word.

Get me outta here!

champagne030
12-04-2006, 07:56 PM

I'm sure it was very cold, but it wasn't -29 or a windchill of -90. Those would be records that don't exist.

Fenway
12-04-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm sure it was very cold, but it wasn't -29 or a windchill of -90. Those would be records that don't exist.

the OFFICIAL reading at Midway on January 10 1982 was minus 26

TDog
12-04-2006, 08:47 PM

I understood the all-time official coldest temperature in Chicago was 35 below. Wind-chill factors are transitory and don't apply if you're dressed properly. Essentially only apply if you're standing naked in a corn field.

On the other hand, I have seen days in Arizona where it was too hot for jets to take off at the local airport. When it's 125 degrees, it doesn't really matter that it's a dry heat.

Still, I would rather live in Arizona. And I'm glad the Sox don't train in Florida.

champagne030
12-04-2006, 08:50 PM

I wasn't trying to start anything, just being technical. :redneck

champagne030
12-04-2006, 08:51 PM
I understood the all-time official coldest temperature in Chicago was 35 below. Wind-chill factors are transitory and don't apply if you're dressed properly. Essentially only apply if you're standing naked in a corn field.

On the other hand, I have seen days in Arizona where it was too hot for jets to take off at the local airport. When it's 125 degrees, it doesn't really matter that it's a dry heat.

Still, I would rather live in Arizona. And I'm glad the Sox don't train in Florida.

Fenway
12-05-2006, 09:24 AM
I wasn't trying to start anything, just being technical. :redneck

I remember just before I went out WBBM telling me it was -29 on the lakefront with a wind chill of -90 :o: That is the coldest I have ever been by far. They played a NFL playoff game in Cincinnati the next day and the game was played in -15 weather. The entire midwest was a freezer.

January 10, 1982
Bitterly cold weather was found across Illinois. Of the 109 weather reporting stations in the state, 48 of those reported lows of 20 degrees below zero or colder. Some of the coldest temperatures included 27 below zero at Rockford, 26 below zero at Chicago, and 25 below zero at Kankakee and Peoria.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ilx/trivia/jantriv.php

BUT I would still rather be that cold than suffer thru 100+ heat in Arizona :tongue:

PaulDrake
12-05-2006, 09:31 AM

Still can't figure out why anyone would want to live in Arizona :?: We're considering moving there. I really like Tucson.

PaulDrake
12-05-2006, 09:37 AM
the OFFICIAL reading at Midway on January 10 1982 was minus 26 The winters of 76/77, 77/78, 78/79 (big snow that elected Jane Byrne), 81/82, 83/84 and 84/85 were all brutal. I remember some unbelievably cold weather in January of 1985. Thankfully the car started every day. Of course in those days we were told that we were on the verge of another Ice Age. Sometime in the interim the experts changed their collective minds.

champagne030
12-05-2006, 09:40 AM
I remember just before I went out WBBM telling me it was -29 on the lakefront with a wind chill of -90 :o: That is the coldest I have ever been by far. They played a NFL playoff game in Cincinnati the next day and the game was played in -15 weather. The entire midwest was a freezer.

January 10, 1982
Bitterly cold weather was found across Illinois. Of the 109 weather reporting stations in the state, 48 of those reported lows of 20 degrees below zero or colder. Some of the coldest temperatures included 27 below zero at Rockford, 26 below zero at Chicago, and 25 below zero at Kankakee and Peoria.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ilx/trivia/jantriv.php

BUT I would still rather be that cold than suffer thru 100+ heat in Arizona :tongue:

I knew poor Dan Fouts and his boys were in trouble that day. Also, America's Team was taken down by this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b5/Clark_si_cover.jpg/300px-Clark_si_cover.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Clark_si_cover.jpg)

INSox56
12-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Wind-chill factors are transitory and don't apply if you're dressed properly. Essentially only apply if you're standing naked in a corn field.
Not true. If you've ever been in -60ish degree weather, you have to wear a scarf or two around your face, with goggles for the areas around your eyes. Any exposed skin is in EXTREME cold. Plus, to get wind chills that low, you still feel the cold in your legs because the wind WILL push through clothing (unless you're dressed for an arctic expedition). Trust me, my soph year at Purdue (which, if you've never been there, is basically surrounded by fun cornfields) the wind chills got to -70 if I remember right. Classes still were not cancelled. I went to my first class at 7.30 and the wind was constantly blowing between 25 and 30mph

johnr1note
12-05-2006, 11:39 AM

You are absolutely right. When my AZ friends say "Hey, there's no humidity, its a "dry heat," I point out that my OVEN is a dry heat, and I don't vacation there.

Steelrod
12-05-2006, 01:23 PM
You are absolutely right. When my AZ friends say "Hey, there's no humidity, its a "dry heat," I point out that my OVEN is a dry heat, and I don't vacation there.
Don't think it ever gets to 250-500 degress like your oven does.
The fact is that 100% dry is quite comfortable