PDA

View Full Version : Peavy

JohnTucker0814
12-04-2006, 09:51 AM
I've heard rumors that Peavy may be available... would you all be opposed to trading Garcia (fa 07) & Buehrle (fa 07) for Peavy?

1. Contreras
2. Peavy
3. Garland
4. Vazquez
5. McCarthy

Grzegorz
12-04-2006, 10:12 AM
I've heard rumors that Peavy may be available... would you all be opposed to trading Garcia (fa 07) & Buehrle (fa 07) for Peavy?

1. Contreras
2. Peavy
3. Garland
4. Vazquez
5. McCarthy

While I'd love this rotation:
1. Contreras
2. Peavy
3. Garland
4. Vazquez
5. McCarthy

With starters at a premium, trading two for one might be too concentrated a move; trading Garcia to one team in a package and Buehrle in another package might yield more talent coming to the Chicago White Sox.

fquaye149
12-04-2006, 10:23 AM
So here's what we do. We flip Crede and Garcia for Manny then flip Manny for Peavy and that 1B prospect.

Kenny's a DUMMY if he doesn't do this one

chisoxmike
12-04-2006, 11:16 AM

1. Contreras
2. Peavy
3. Garland
4. Vazquez
5. McCarthy

With this staff the Sox win 75 games tops.

fquaye149
12-04-2006, 11:18 AM
With this staff the Sox win 75 games tops.

I don't see it as being that much worse than last year's squad, with which we won 90.

I dont' think we should make the trade, but I don't see your logic there

chisoxmike
12-04-2006, 11:25 AM
I don't see it as being that much worse than last year's squad, with which we won 90.

I dont' think we should make the trade, but I don't see your logic there

I'm not sold on McCarthy, Contreras is older than he says he is and could be going downhill, Vazquez is well, Vazquez, and Pevey has averaged 12 wins since 2003 with his highlight seasons 04 & 05.

I don't think you trade EITHER Buehrle or Garcia, I'd say Vazquez, but thats just me.

Jjav829
12-04-2006, 01:35 PM
As much as I'd love to see him on the Sox, Peavy likely isn't going anywhere.

fquaye149
12-04-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm not sold on McCarthy, Contreras is older than he says he is and could be going downhill, Vazquez is well, Vazquez, and Pevey has averaged 12 wins since 2003 with his highlight seasons 04 & 05.

I don't think you trade EITHER Buehrle or Garcia, I'd say Vazquez, but thats just me.

I don't like to see Buehrle go, believe me, he's my favorite White Sox pitcher by far.

But the fact is, Peavy's an improvement over what Buehrle did last year, and given the nature of Peavy's pitching (power) vs. Buehrle's (control) it seems likely that Peavy will have a better year than Buehrle next year. Meanwhile, McCarthy will not be 15 wins worse than Freddie next year....and he certainly won't be worse ERA-wise...or at least not much

it's all moot though, since JJav's 100% right---there's like no chance Peavy's going anywhere for less than a Manny

IlliniSox
12-04-2006, 01:53 PM
NL pitchers moving to the AL get a rude awakening. See Vazquez, Javier.

Jjav829
12-04-2006, 01:57 PM

Jake Peavy is 10 times the pitcher Javy Vazquez is.

fquaye149
12-04-2006, 02:13 PM

Javy's performance last year was not radically worse than his performance with AZ

chisoxmike
12-04-2006, 03:15 PM
But the fact is, Peavy's an improvement over what Buehrle did last year, and given the nature of Peavy's pitching (power) vs. Buehrle's (control) it seems likely that Peavy will have a better year than Buehrle next year.

I still don't understand why people think since Burehrle had a bad 2nd half he must be shipped to another team becuase he will repeat his awfulness for the rest of his career.

ajismyhero
12-04-2006, 03:23 PM
I like Peavy - but he's definitely not worth Garcia and Buehrle.....imo, we need to be finding potential leadoff guys and bullpen help not trading starters for starters.

chisoxmike
12-04-2006, 03:26 PM
I like Peavy - but he's definitely not worth Garcia and Buehrle.....imo, we need to be finding potential leadoff guys and bullpen help not trading starters for starters.

BOOM. You hit it on the head. I'd take my chances with the same starting five again next year. (Just get rid of Vazquez and slide in McCarthy:D: )

Our bullpen needs to be tweeked and if the Sox can somehow upgrade LF and the leadoff spot, do it.

Huisj
12-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Do the sox really want a rotation of all right-handers? Isn't there at least some value in having a lefty in the rotation just to give the other team something different to see in one game during a 3 game series? Could having a lefty actually help the righties in a way that they couldn't be helped if there were no lefty starter on the team?

caulfield12
12-04-2006, 04:25 PM
So here's what we do. We flip Crede and Garcia for Manny then flip Manny for Peavy and that 1B prospect.

Kenny's a DUMMY if he doesn't do this one

Why would we need a 1B prospect when we have Konerko, Thome, Gload and Rogowski, not to mention Mackowiak?

CHISOXFAN13
12-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Why would we need a 1B prospect when we have Konerko, Thome, Gload and Rogowski, not to mention Mackowiak?

Who said you have to keep him? Turn around and trade him for something else like bullpen help.

IlliniSox
12-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Jake Peavy is 10 times the pitcher Javy Vazquez is.

Vazquez attracted the Yankees striking out 8 and 9 hitters in Montreal, but my point wasn't about Vazquez.

Our rotation is acclimated to facing AL lineups, I don't want to wait on that learning curve.

fquaye149
12-04-2006, 05:38 PM

it was a joke based on the potential SD/Boston trade mentioned in another thread

fquaye149
12-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Vazquez attracted the Yankees striking out 8 and 9 hitters in Montreal, but my point wasn't about Vazquez.

Our rotation is acclimated to facing AL lineups, I don't want to wait on that learning curve.

um...pitchers don't get used to hitters....

hitters get used to PITCHERS. it's better to have a pitcher switch leagues, because hitters need time to get used to their stuff

fquaye149
12-04-2006, 05:41 PM
I still don't understand why people think since Burehrle had a bad 2nd half he must be shipped to another team becuase he will repeat his awfulness for the rest of his career.

what? where on earth did i say i thought that?

Buehrle in his best year has not put up the #'s Peavy has. Peavy's a cy young type pitcher. Buehrle, despite being my favorite member of the team, will never be a cy young type pitcher. Given the two's style of pitching I think it's simply more likely that Peavy has a better year than Buehrle next year. I don't think that's a stretch.

I'd love to see Buehrle in a Sox uniform for the rest of his (hopefully long) career. But I just took issue with the idea that "that rotation would only win 70 games" since I don't see how it's any worse.

IlliniSox
12-04-2006, 10:50 PM
um...pitchers don't get used to hitters....

hitters get used to PITCHERS. it's better to have a pitcher switch leagues, because hitters need time to get used to their stuff

Pitchers don't get used to hitters? Teams must not have pitchers and catchers meetings before series anymore then either? There'd be no point to by your logic.

Off the top of my head, recent SP who switched leagues:

Josh Becket, feared NL power arm turned overpaid AL 4th starter.
Clement & Kris Benson two others with NL success that was later exposed by AL lineups. Jeff Suppan is about make bank from the Cardinals, please check his AL vs. NL numbers.

Bronson Arroyo, definition of the mediocre AL 4th starter turned NL All-Star overnight. Derek Lowe went from maddening to consistent in LA. Jamie Moyer showed up in Philly and won 5 games after the 8/31 trade deadline. Clemens has been toying with the NL since his first start in Houston, his ERA down more than a run and a half since his first retirement.

So I buy high on Neal Cotts, sell on whoever pays Schmidt or brings Peavy to the NL.

Domeshot17
12-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Peavy is a top 5 pitcher in baseball right now. He had arm problems he tried to pitch through last year to keep SD afloat. He is a balls to the wall, team first guy, who can dominate a game. His ceiling is 10000 times that of Josh Beckett, and a lot of that is based on heart alone.

Now as for the deal

Buehlre and Garcia for Peavy? Nope

Buehlre Garcia and Owens for Peavy and LINEBRINK, sign me up!!

IlliniSox
12-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Peavy is a top 5 pitcher in baseball right now. He had arm problems he tried to pitch through last year to keep SD afloat. He is a balls to the wall, team first guy, who can dominate a game. His ceiling is 10000 times that of Josh Beckett, and a lot of that is based on heart alone.

We agree we both would rather have Peavy than Beckett (its a far easier call now having already seen Beckett giving up his endless gopher balls in 06).

My point before was I don't want to have to wait for an NL pitcher's learning curve in dealing with AL lineups. Maybe Beckett's ERA gets back under 4 in his second year in the league or maybe it doesn't. The Sox can win the division in '07, I don't care to wait until 2008 for an NL starter to get acclimated to 9 hitters with 27HR/90 RBI's.