PDA

View Full Version : Cubs after Kenny Lofton?

Fenway
12-03-2006, 03:39 PM
from the Trib

Kenny Lofton, who has been with eight teams the last six seasons, could be coming back for a second stint with the Cubs. A major-league source indicated Saturday the Cubs are working to sign him. Lofton is 39 but helped the Dodgers reach the playoffs last year, hitting .301 and stealing 32 bases. .

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-0612030090dec03,1,6291418.column

veeter
12-03-2006, 03:47 PM
I can't believe the guy is still playing well. Of course, he wisely went to the NL a few years back and has stayed there. The league where, if you have a pulse you can succeed. It might be a good signing for the goofs, but they shouldn't have let him go in the first place. Just like they'll regret letting Pierre go. Man, they gave up a lot for him with nothing to show for it now. Hendry is absolutely the worst GM around.

buehrle4cy05
12-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Hendry is absolutely the worst GM around.

:fobbgod:
"I beg to differ."

MUsoxfan
12-03-2006, 05:22 PM
The Cubs will probably give him 3/$30:cool:

jabrch
12-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Hendry is absolutely the worst GM around.

That's just ridiculous.

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2006, 06:21 PM
People do realize that Jim Bowden is still in baseball, right?

JUribe1989
12-03-2006, 06:27 PM
That's just ridiculous.

It absolutely is ridiculous. Hendry is making the Cubs better no doubt. He might not be making them a division winner, but he is definitely making them better.

veeter
12-03-2006, 06:27 PM
That's just ridiculous.Why?

jabrch
12-03-2006, 06:28 PM
People do realize that Jim Bowden is still in baseball, right?

Isn't Sabean still out there too?

What's Depodesta doing these days?

Littlefield is still in Pitt, right?

jabrch
12-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Why?

Hendry has done a good job in general. He's had very unfortunate injuries to two TOP pitchers. Last year he lost an MVP candidate in April. He's done a good job trading for guys like Ramirez and Barrett, as well as signing Jones, just to name a few.

veeter
12-03-2006, 06:35 PM
I'll say this, if Hendry had limited resources, he would absolutely be the worst. As is, he can buy players because he has an open check book. He has no creativity and has traded away a lot of good to great players. I compare everyone to Kenny and the bar is high.

TheOldRoman
12-03-2006, 06:36 PM
It absolutely is ridiculous. Hendry is making the Cubs better no doubt. He might not be making them a division winner, but he is definitely making them better.
I don't agree with you. He is throwing money into the fire, and he almost singlehandedly caused this ridiculous inflated offseason by starting the Soriano bidding at 3 years and $4mil per year higher than anyone else would have gone.
Soriano is no sure thing. If he comes close to duplicating last year, which he hasn't in his career, he still won't make the Cubs much better. Ramirez is still Carlos Lee at 3B, and Mark DeRosa should be a bench player. If those three have career years, the Cubs still finish in 3rd or 4th. Their goal this offseason was not to build a winner. It was to sign as many big names as possible to create the hype and take back momentum from the Sox, who are taking over the city. Hendry may not be the worst GM, but he is certainly at the top, or should I say bottom, of the list.

veeter
12-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Hendry has done a good job in general. He's had very unfortunate injuries to two TOP pitchers. Last year he lost an MVP candidate in April. He's done a good job trading for guys like Ramirez and Barrett, as well as signing Jones, just to name a few.His reaction time to the injuries of his terrific top two pitchers has been abysmal. They're hurt every year! Yet he always seems to think they'll be there. Jaque Jones was a terrible signing when considering money and years. He did a good job as a vulture, picking on money strapped Pitt. in obtaining Ramirez. Who actually is a lazy player. His best move was getting Lee. But I can't stand hearing about the injury excuses.

Lip Man 1
12-03-2006, 07:29 PM
On paper Hendry is improving the Cubs. Off the field he's certainly generating interest again by their fans.

He's doing what he's being paid to do.

It's a two team market folks, I think the Sox realize it and it could turn out to be a situation like in N.Y. where the battle for newspaper headlines is almost as important as what transpires on the field.

The Sox have taken steps in the past two years (since Brooks was hired) to take this head on. They need to realize, that like it or not, they have to continue taking it head on, every day, every month, every damn season.

Lip

DrCrawdad
12-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Hendry has done a good job in general. He's had very unfortunate injuries to two TOP pitchers. Last year he lost an MVP candidate in April. He's done a good job trading for guys like Ramirez and Barrett, as well as signing Jones, just to name a few.

Good job? What, finishing in 6th place last year?

Relying on two injured pitchers (Wood and Prior) and a third injured pitcher in Wade Miller to bail the team out was not good, it was awful.

Ok the team lost an MVP type player (Lee) but they finished in 6th place in the worst division in MLB. The Cubs were agruably the worst team in MLB last year. That was not due to injuries it was due to a very poor job by the GM.

Regarding the Ramirez/Lee deals, he robbed the poor. Big deal. Hendry has no doubt kept his job on account of those two deals in spite of the woeful results on the field.

Another thing, Hendry and MacPhail both shouted for years about their farm system. So, where are the jewels of this much ballyhooed farm system? Another failing of Hendry.

Frater Perdurabo
12-03-2006, 08:02 PM
It's a two team market folks, I think the Sox realize it and it could turn out to be a situation like in N.Y. where the battle for newspaper headlines is almost as important as what transpires on the field.

The Sox have taken steps in the past two years (since Brooks was hired) to take this head on. They need to realize, that like it or not, they have to continue taking it head on, every day, every month, every damn season.

Lip

Lip, I sure hope and believe KW operates with one consideration in mind: making the Sox better on the field, with no regard for how the media will react. The last thing I want KW thinking about is the headlines. Thankfully, the Sox have the adroit and skillful Brook Boyer to wage the PR battle. Let Hendry make more splashy, stupid moves that the media "love" but that further cripple the north side franchise. Most Cub fans are like dogs who return to eat their own vomit.

RadioheadRocks
12-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Lip, I sure hope and believe KW operates with one consideration in mind: making the Sox better on the field, with no regard for how the media will react. The last thing I want KW thinking about is the headlines. Thankfully, the Sox have the adroit and skillful Brook Boyer to wage the PR battle. Let Hendry make more splashy, stupid moves that the media "love" but that further cripple the north side franchise. Most Cub fans are like dogs who return to eat their own vomit.

Very well said, Frater... hear, hear! :bandance:

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2006, 08:14 PM
The Feeding Chain of Worst General Managers
Ned Coletti>Jim Bowden>Brian Sabean>Jim Hendry>Bill Stoneman

Coletti is absolutely brutal.

Reporter: So why give Pierre so much?
Coletti: He's a good person.

Ah, nice reasoning Ned. Good to see he rode DePodesta's signings (Drew, Kent, Lowe, Penny [acquired in trade]) to a division title. I'm glad he'll be soon ruining it with Pierre in CF and Nomar at 1B.

Frater Perdurabo
12-03-2006, 09:01 PM
The Feeding Chain of Worst General Managers
Ned Coletti>Jim Bowden>Brian Sabean>Jim Hendry>Bill Stoneman

Coletti is absolutely brutal.

Reporter: So why give Pierre so much?
Coletti: He's a good person.

Ah, nice reasoning Ned. Good to see he rode DePodesta's signings (Drew, Kent, Lowe, Penny [acquired in trade]) to a division title. I'm glad he'll be soon ruining it with Pierre in CF and Nomar at 1B.

The only "good" moves Hendry made were bullying the Pirates' GM for his lunch money. So where's Dave Littlefield on your list? :tongue:

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Whoops. I guess I had the Bay/Perez for Giles swap on my mind. I thought picking up Nady was fairly savvy, although giving up on the high ceiling Perez was misguided, IMO.

For a good synopsis on why Littlefield really sucks----> http://www.iratefans.com/Thoughts/charlie_wilmoth/DAVIDL_1/davidl_1.HTM

jabrch
12-03-2006, 10:09 PM
I tell you what...

Despite making the post season every year, no discussion of worst GMs in the league would be complete without the team that has a payroll over over 200mm and seems to underutilize it nearly every year.

If you made Brian Cashman work on an even scale with the 5th highest payroll, instead of the highest, he'd have the worst team in baseball, bar none.

And Theo Epstein should be in the team picture also given the huge wads of cash he has.

Flannigan in Baltimore has misspent huge piles of money and never puts a decent team on the field. Texas' has a new GM - unfair to evaluate him yet. How long has Byrnes been in AZ? Cuz they always seem to tread water too.

Hendry isn't great. But calling him the worst is a huge stretch.

soxinem1
12-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Honestly, we could do a LOT worse than Lofton in LF............

But this would be a good move for the cubs, unless they give him more than $3-4 million. Soriano played pretty well (esp. in the big RFK LF) over his last 75 games as he got more experience. CF may be a stretch, though, unless it was only on one of Lofton's many off-days.

TheOldRoman
12-03-2006, 10:25 PM
I tell you what...

Despite making the post season every year, no discussion of worst GMs in the league would be complete without the team that has a payroll over over 200mm and seems to underutilize it nearly every year.

If you made Brian Cashman work on an even scale with the 5th highest payroll, instead of the highest, he'd have the worst team in baseball, bar none.

And Theo Epstein should be in the team picture also given the huge wads of cash he has.

Flannigan in Baltimore has misspent huge piles of money and never puts a decent team on the field. Texas' has a new GM - unfair to evaluate him yet. How long has Byrnes been in AZ? Cuz they always seem to tread water too.

Hendry isn't great. But calling him the worst is a huge stretch.
Cashman blows, but he gets a repreive of sorts because Steinbrenner is a clown and he often steps in to personnel matters he knows nothing about. For instance, Cashman had Vlad Guerrero signed, but Steinbrenner said "No, I want Sheffield". George is always meddling and forcing him to get players he wouldn't otherwise. Theo, on the other hand, is a complete moron.

Craig Grebeck
12-04-2006, 06:42 AM
Yeah, Cashman has had to buy Wright and Pavano due to pressure about NYY lack of pitching. But that only added to the pitching woes.

veeter
12-04-2006, 11:26 AM

Relying on two injured pitchers (Wood and Prior) and a third injured pitcher in Wade Miller to bail the team out was not good, it was awful.

Ok the team lost an MVP type player (Lee) but they finished in 6th place in the worst division in MLB. The Cubs were agruably the worst team in MLB last year. That was not due to injuries it was due to a very poor job by the GM.

Regarding the Ramirez/Lee deals, he robbed the poor. Big deal. Hendry has no doubt kept his job on account of those two deals in spite of the woeful results on the field.

Another thing, Hendry and MacPhail both shouted for years about their farm system. So, where are the jewels of this much ballyhooed farm system? Another failing of Hendry.Perfectly stated, my friend.

Hangar18
12-04-2006, 11:30 AM
I can't believe the guy is still playing well. Of course, he wisely went to the NL a few years back and has stayed there. The league where, if you have a pulse you can succeed. It might be a good signing for the goofs, but they shouldn't have let him go in the first place. Just like they'll regret letting Pierre go. Man, they gave up a lot for him with nothing to show for it now. Hendry is absolutely the worst GM around.

HAHAHAHAHAH, I was just going to say the same thing. Lofton is only still around because of the bogus National League. He wouldve been Loooooooong retired had he stayed in the AL.

Hangar18
12-04-2006, 11:32 AM
The only "good" moves Hendry made were bullying the Pirates' GM for his lunch money. So where's Dave Littlefield on your list? :tongue:

Excellent point. Hendry The Predator ripped-off Lee from the Marlins and Ramirez from the Pirates. Where would that team be without those 2?

chisoxmike
12-04-2006, 11:33 AM

Another thing, Hendry and MacPhail both shouted for years about their farm system. So, where are the jewels of this much ballyhooed farm system? Another failing of Hendry.

Well said.

A lot of people seem to forget Hendry was GIVEN Lee and Ramirez. He STOLE those players from the Pirates and Marlins.

soxinem1
12-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Excellent point. Hendry The Predator ripped-off Lee from the Marlins and Ramirez from the Pirates. Where would that team be without those 2?

See the 2003 Detroit Tigers for the answer to this question....:smile:

champagne030
12-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Cashman blows, but he gets a repreive of sorts because Steinbrenner is a clown and he often steps in to personnel matters he knows nothing about. For instance, Cashman had Vlad Guerrero signed, but Steinbrenner said "No, I want Sheffield". George is always meddling and forcing him to get players he wouldn't otherwise. Theo, on the other hand, is a complete moron.

Finally, we agree about something. :smile: