PDA

View Full Version : Will KW do anything?

soxwon
12-03-2006, 11:15 AM
This week the winter meetings, we have to do some trade.
Im getting bored with no action, Will this be the week we land Michael Young?
What do you predict will happen?

ondafarm
12-03-2006, 11:40 AM
I hope he dumps all the players just to please all the people writing threads like this.

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-03-2006, 11:44 AM
This is the week when the news WSI has been expecting for months.......CHONE FIGGINS (Figgy) will finally be on the South Side!!!! :redneck

Grzegorz
12-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Of course he'll do something; he's KW damn it!!!

I expect to see a starter moved; it's a seller's market when it comes to pitching.

WhiteSox5187
12-03-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm expecting a contract offer from Mr. Williams any day now...:D:

Who knows what will happen? He won't make a move just for the sake of making a move. Figgins? Maybe. It seems to me it's the move you least expect. So. I don't know. He'll do something though.

CHIsoxNation
12-03-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm anxious to see Schmidt, Zito and some other free agent SPs get signed hopefully right away. I doubt Kenny makes any move with our pitching until those guys are off the table. I think if any of our pitchers are dealt, it will be to one of the NY teams for some young pitching and relief help in return.

buehrle4cy05
12-03-2006, 12:11 PM
I feel like all these "reported" moves have been smoke & mirrors. He's got something up his sleeve that nobody is expecting.

Baby Fisk
12-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Something will happen.

CPditka
12-03-2006, 12:20 PM
We dont have to do anything, we probably have the best rotation for the price right now of any team. We are in a position of power not them. If ted Lily is turning down 4 year 37 mil, Eaton gets 3 Years 24 Mil, Randy Wolf gets 8 Mil then we my friend are where we want to be. Unless KW gets a deal that he cant refuse there is no need to make a deal. Teams should be begging for pitchers if they are smart. Who wants Gil Meche or Ted Lily and their 4.5+ ERA at 8-10 Mil per year. We got 5 guys at that price who are apt to put up way better numbers than that.

SOXBOY
12-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Kenny doesn't need to do anything right now.The Sox go in to S.T will six starters so what.Pitching wins as we all know from '05 so just relax and wait for the final roster in Mar.

HomeFish
12-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Apart from Bartolo Colon, which, iirc, was orchestrated more by the Yankees than by KW, has Kenny actually done anything big at the winter meetings? Perhaps my memory is faulty.

I just seem to remember that every year, we get excited about the winter meetings, and every year the big moves all come before and after the winter meetings, not during.

HomeFish
12-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Kenny doesn't need to do anything right now.

Bullpen?

champagne030
12-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Bullpen?

LF, SS, CF or 4th OF who can play CF, #2 catcher, leadoff man.......

pearso66
12-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Apart from Bartolo Colon, which, iirc, was orchestrated more by the Yankees than by KW, has Kenny actually done anything big at the winter meetings? Perhaps my memory is faulty.

I just seem to remember that every year, we get excited about the winter meetings, and every year the big moves all come before and after the winter meetings, not during.

He traded Carlos Lee for Pods and Viscaino on the last day of the winter meetings 2 days ago, and while it's not a big move, last year he got Mackowiak on the last day of the winter meetings for Marte.

chisoxmike
12-03-2006, 01:53 PM
LF, SS, CF or 4th OF who can play CF, #2 catcher, leadoff man.......

We have a LF, CF, and a SS.

halo
12-03-2006, 01:53 PM
This is the week when the news WSI has been expecting for months.......CHONE FIGGINS (Figgy) will finally be on the South Side!!!! :redneck

the only way you get Figgy is a Crede for Figgins straight up trade, not the Garcia for Santna part.

oeo
12-03-2006, 02:08 PM
the only way you get Figgy is a Crede for Figgins straight up trade, not the Garcia for Santna part.

Yeah, one of the better overall thirdbaseman for a utility man. Great trade. Figgins is not that good, you can keep dreaming.

Crede won the Silver Slugger, AND was ripped off a Gold Glove this year. Just because he's underrated does not mean his value is equal to Chone ****ing Figgins. *****...

chisoxmike
12-03-2006, 02:15 PM

STOP SAYING FIGGY!:dtroll:

RKMeibalane
12-03-2006, 02:54 PM
I hope he dumps all the players just to please all the people writing threads like this.

My eyes... :o:

Brian26
12-03-2006, 03:28 PM

Typical Homefish.

Nice way of giving KW absolutely no credit for stealing Colon. KW completely orchestrated that, and NYY went along with it as a favor to the Sox for blocking a Red Sox waiver claim the year before.

veeter
12-03-2006, 03:43 PM
I like the fact that even mediocre pichers, such as Lilly and, at this point Schimdt, are perceived as so valuable. Because the Sox may be able to ship Vasquez or Contreras, rather than Freddy or MB, and still reap huge benefits. Kenny holds all the cards, and has probably had this very moment on his three year board for, well...three years.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-03-2006, 03:47 PM

What do you think of Grossman?

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-03-2006, 04:30 PM
What do you think of Grossman?
He sucks... I want him to stop being such a mental case because these turnovers and interceptions are driving me crazy.

DickAllen72
12-03-2006, 04:37 PM

The most I would offer for Figgins straight up is Rob Mackowiak and the Angels would certainly turn that down.

A fair trade would be Crede + Mackowiak for Santana and Figgins. Angels say no? We'll add Garcia, the Angels add Shields. Still no deal??? See ya!

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-03-2006, 04:41 PM
The most I would offer for Figgins straight up is Rob Mackowiak and the Angels would certainly turn that down.

A fair trade would be Crede + Mackowiak for Santana and Figgins. Angels say no? We'll add Garcia, the Angels add Shields. Still no deal??? See ya!
Hell, I wouldn't waste Mackowiak for Fig Newton on a trade. Crede-Santana, or Garcia-Santana, if anything. Sweeney is probably a better bet than Fig Newton (well, maybe)

SOXSINCE'70
12-03-2006, 04:42 PM

PLEASE,DEAR GOD,STOP NOW!!!!:praying: :praying:

SOXSINCE'70
12-03-2006, 04:46 PM
:tealpolice:
"1 Adam-12,1 Adam-12,a violation;see the mods".
:tealtutor:

ondafarm
12-03-2006, 04:58 PM
:tealpolice:
"1 Adam-12,1 Adam-12,a violation;see the mods".
:tealtutor:

Drat!! Busted again. I hope you are enjoying my misery.

CubsfansareDRUNK
12-03-2006, 05:04 PM
He better do something, because with this current "squad" we finished 3rd place last year...

HomeFish
12-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Typical Homefish.

Nice way of giving KW absolutely no credit for stealing Colon. KW completely orchestrated that, and NYY went along with it as a favor to the Sox for blocking a Red Sox waiver claim the year before.

I swear, everything I say gets interpreted in the worst possible way by the folks around here. I didn't mean to diss KW; the Yankees orchestrating the Colon deal is how I was taught that deal went down (in fact, I think I read it first at WSI). Even if that is reality, then its not a knock against KW, because he beat out 27 other teams to be the beneficiary, and that had to take something. And I don't think that something was Jeff Liefer.

If you have evidence that the trade went down some other way, please let me know and I'll adjust my views accordingly.

jabrch
12-03-2006, 06:04 PM
I swear, everything I say gets interpreted in the worst possible way by the folks around here.

His neighbors always said that Jeffrey Dahmer was a bad dinner guest too. I wonder why that is?

ondafarm
12-03-2006, 06:13 PM
His neighbors always said that Jeffrey Dahmer was a bad dinner guest too. I wonder why that is?

Knock it off!!! I don't agree with everything Homefish posts but he deserves a certain amount of respect as does every poster. If you really dislike his posts, then put him on your ignore list.

jabrch
12-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Knock it off!!! I don't agree with everything Homefish posts but he deserves a certain amount of respect as does every poster. If you really dislike his posts, then put him on your ignore list.

You've got mail.

Hitmen77
12-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Some good quotes from KW in this Sun-Times article:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/157336,CST-SPT-sox03.article

I don't anticipate anything on the free-agent market falling back to us because it's just beyond ridiculous,'' Williams said. ''It's less about money than it is the talent matching up with the amount of dollars.

"... This offseason will lead to an eventual market correction. It may not be next year or the year after, but a lot of people will get burned by this. And it won't be an agreement or anything like that. It will be because people are broke.''

Fake Chet Lemon
12-04-2006, 12:52 PM
I think Kenny looked at this year free agents, calculated the stupid-money that would be spent, and he's content to stand pat with this team, (some minor moves) and throw the bank at Ichiro a year from now. Super-hero Kenny for sure looks more than one-year out. I say nothing major this week.

Ichiro!!!

Foulke You
12-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey, it could be worse, they could be calling him "C-Fig" :cool:

ajismyhero
12-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Hey, it could be worse, they could be calling him "C-Fig" :cool:

LMAO!! :D:

12-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Not too many trades happen at these meetings, but there are a lot of seeds dropped "Call me when you get back so we can talk more about...."

tony1972
12-04-2006, 03:50 PM
I don't want KW to do something just to do something..(think Todd Ritchie, David Wells, etc.)...

sometimes the best moves you make are the ones you don't...

Jaffar
12-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Once teams have overpaid for Schmidt and Zito then Kenny will check out all the offers for our starters and let somebody overpay (in trade) for a possible 1 year rental. Same goes for Crede and that's why we'll here his name just as often as the starting staff.

Hangar18
12-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Not too many trades happen at these meetings, but there are a lot of seeds dropped "Call me when you get back so we can talk more about...."

........Jim Hendry has the Marlins, Pirates, DevilRays at the bar, getting them loaded drunk to see what trades he can pull off

Frontman
12-04-2006, 06:18 PM
"This just in. Kenny Williams, upon returning from the Dominican Republic, was all smiles as he reports that he has signed Sammy Sosa, to return to the Southside...."

Let the nightmares commence. Makes as much sense as bringing "C-Figgy" to the southside........

:wink:

Front

santo=dorf
12-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Yeah, one of the better overall thirdbaseman for a utility man. Great trade. Figgins is not that good, you can keep dreaming.

Crede won the Silver Slugger, AND was ripped off a Gold Glove this year. Just because he's underrated does not mean his value is equal to Chone ****ing Figgins. *****...
It's extremely hypocritical for one to say Crede got jobbed for the GG and then brag how he won the Silver Slugger, especially in the same sentence.

I don't know who's more overrated; Crede, or Garland.

soxinem1
12-04-2006, 08:26 PM
How about Jeff Cirillo as a back up INF/OF? He can hit, and play decently at several positions.

Just a thought.....

Lip Man 1
12-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Sox:

Can he pitch middle relief? In my opinion the Sox need one or two reliable arms for that area more then anything else right now.

Lip

areilly
12-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Sox:

Can he pitch middle relief? In my opinion the Sox need one or two reliable arms for that area more then anything else right now.

Lip

I doubt he can, but I don't see how strengthening the team in one area is mutually exclusive of strengthening the team in another.

soxinem1
12-05-2006, 06:57 AM
Sox:

Lip

No he cannot, but having a quality .300 hitter who can play 3B, SS, 2B and LF for about 900K a year is a coup.

I couldn't agree more about the need for RP. Keith Foulke and Darren Oliver should be on the radar. I always thought Oliver was more effective out of the pen since he was with TEX. Both of them could probably be had for around what Politte and Hermanson were paid in 2006.

ondafarm
12-05-2006, 10:43 AM
This week the winter meetings, we have to do some trade.
Im getting bored with no action, . . .?

Obviously, the White Sox are in the business to provide you with entertainment during the offseason.

If you are that desperate, get yourself a fantasy team.

SABRSox
12-05-2006, 10:59 AM
In wake of the Carpenter extension, I expect one of Kenny's biggest moves this off-season will be to extend Mark Buehrle. Just a hunch.

Ol' No. 2
12-05-2006, 11:10 AM
In wake of the Carpenter extension, I expect one of Kenny's biggest moves this off-season will be to extend Mark Buehrle. Just a hunch.I found this little nugget buried in an article on the Sox website (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061204&content_id=1750901&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws):
Buehrle and Garcia both have one year left on their respective contracts, but Williams begged off a question Monday in regard to contract extensions being broached with either pitcher. It's an indirect approach Williams rarely takes, but he was honoring an agreement made with one of the two pitchers not to talk about the negotiations.

SABRSox
12-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Buehrle and Garcia both have one year left on their respective contracts, but Williams begged off a question Monday in regard to contract extensions being broached with either pitcher. It's an indirect approach Williams rarely takes, but he was honoring an agreement made with one of the two pitchers not to talk about the negotiations.

So he's extending Garcia...

Lip Man 1
12-05-2006, 12:37 PM
AReilly:

It appears to me (again this is my opinion) that the budget for the 2007 White Sox in the wake of the inflated market is becomming an issue. That means the Sox have to prioritize their needs and act accordingly.

If my guess is correct, solving the gaping hole at middle relief is far more important then another backup infielder since they already have Cintron and Gload under contract.

Yes teams can 'upgrade' at more then one area. The question is, can the Sox afford, or have the will, to do that.

Lip

Bob G
12-05-2006, 05:19 PM
I heard this morning on the radio that KW was trying to find out what it would take to get Vernon Wells. I think this would be a great pick up if it happens - he's one of the best CF's in the game. The Blue Jays are looking for a SP - like just about everyone else except us.