PDA

View Full Version : Nellie Fox/Favorite player

StatManDu
12-01-2006, 03:59 PM
It's been 31 years since (Dec. 1, 1975) since the great Nelson Jacob Fox was taken from the earth far too early.

When he died, he was one of the most -- if not the most -- popular player in franchise history (along with Minnie, Looie and Billy I would assume). His popularity sustained itself through the quest to get Nellie into the Hall.

Now that Nellie is in the Hall, I am wondering how many of us still consider him our favorite player? I know my older brother does and still has everyone of his Topps cards.

Just a question: Is Nellie still your favorite plaayer?

Nellie_Fox
12-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Take a guess. :tongue:

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Seriously?

FedEx227
12-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks to my dad and his obsession with him, you betcha.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-01-2006, 04:37 PM
He played and passed away way before my time, but he's still one of my favorites.

drftnaway
12-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Raising hand.

Paulwny
12-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Yep, Nellie the best there ever was for an 11 yr old to now an old fart.

LITTLE NELL
12-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Litttle Nell my boyhood hero, and the heart of the 50s go go Sox.

SoxSon
12-01-2006, 06:01 PM
When my dad, J.C. Martin, first came up with the White Sox, we lived in an old hotel in the downtown area. Although I was too young to remember, my parents told me that Nellie Fox used to walk me to Sunday School when I was only a few years old.

I have a framed and signed picture of myself, my dad, and Nellie in my office where I work. It was taken prior to a father/son game.

I know my dad thought highly of Nellie as well.

drftnaway
12-01-2006, 11:02 PM
When my dad, J.C. Martin, first came up with the White Sox, we lived in an old hotel in the downtown area. Although I was too young to remember, my parents told me that Nellie Fox used to walk me to Sunday School when I was only a few years old.

I have a framed and signed picture of myself, my dad, and Nellie in my office where I work. It was taken prior to a father/son game.

That is so cool!

By the way, your dad was well liked too. I loved watching him catch Old Tilt.

TornLabrum
12-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Jacob Nelson Fox has always been my favorite player. When I was a kid, I was always Nellie Fox.

Also: Welcome to J.C. Martin's son. Any son of a former Sox player is a friend of ours! I always wondered how the heck he managed to hang on to Hoyt Wilhelm's knuckler....

LuvSox
12-01-2006, 11:18 PM

Welcome aboard, good sir!

tebman
12-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Nellie Fox was always my sister's and my favorite Sox player. Even though we were kids, we appreciated how he got the most out of his ability and in a lot of ways drove the team. Now that I'm old(er) I appreciate him all the more. I wanted to be a second baseman because of Nellie.

And SoxSon, Welcome! Your dad was a gifted catcher dealing with all those knucklers!

FedEx227
12-01-2006, 11:24 PM
I only wish I was able to see more footage of Fox at work. My dad use to tell me all these stories but I've never been able to actually see him work his craft outside of older highlight reels. Anybody know of any outlets? It would be a great Christmas gift for both my dad and I and keep in line with my yearly Nellie Fox memorabilia.

cbotnyse
12-01-2006, 11:28 PM
I'm just a young whipper snapper so I've never seen him play, but i know he was the face of the franchise for many years so I respect that.

ondafarm
12-02-2006, 12:04 AM
My mom founded and was first president of Nellie Fox's fan club.
She has a picture of Nellie holding me on the day I was born.

Favorite player? I guess I'd have to say yes.

1951Campbell
12-02-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm too young to have seen him play, but I have hiked out by his hometown, St. Thomas Township, PA (about 35 miles west from me), and I like to think that the view from the gas station on the Lincoln Highway where I get my post-hike jerky and Hi-C is a vantage point that Nellie once looked from too.

I think he's buried in St. Thomas, too.

http://philadelphiaathletics.org/images/eventpics/FOX28.jpg

LuvSox
12-02-2006, 01:12 AM
When my dad, J.C. Martin

Lip's head just exploded.

wassagstdu
12-02-2006, 10:47 AM
It was always a 6-4 FC for me, but I did go to Nellie's HOF induction.

I remember once sitting in a diner on the South side in the early '50s listening to the Sox on the radio. Fox was up. There was a drunk at the counter nearby and he said "He's going to hit a liner to right." or something like that. Which Nellie proceeded to do exactly. I was amazed that (a) the drunk knew so much about baseball (more than I did anyway), and (b) Fox could do what he wanted with the bat. I love to see guys hit behind the runner, and Fox was the best.

I also think he helped Aparicio become the player that he was, make the best of his native talent. We've watched a lot of talented shortstops make less of their talent than Aparicio. Joe Morgan has many times credited Fox with teaching him how to play in Houston.

I have dozens of distant relatives in Chambersburg, PA up the road a couple of miles from St. Thomas (Yes, I have made the pilgrimage) and I fantasize that Nellie might have gone hunting with one or two of them over the years.

Lip Man 1
12-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Luvsox:

I may have already spoken with this person (if he's the individual who played college baseball in the Chicago area and coached in Ohio). I worked through one of J.C.'s children when setting up his interview.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=935

Kind of ahead of the curve on this one.

And yes J.C. whom I call the 'southern gentleman' is one of the finest people around.

Lip

Jacob Nelson Fox
12-03-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm a little late checking in, but, yes, obviously, Nellie's THE MAN!

Read the "Grinder Rules" and you are reading a description of his style of play: an over-achieving, self-made winner.

A few years ago I took a pilgrimage out East to visit his home town. Saw the historical markers in Saint Thomas, visited his grave, and even found the bowling alley he owned in Chambersburg.

I had saved a newspaper article which talked about a local butcher who had a big display of his memorabilia. I called out in advance to see when he was open. He wasn't very friendly,and it turned out he had taken the display down because so many people had tried to rip it off. When I got to Nellie's grave, I discovered that someone had ripped his picture off his headstone :angry:

There sure are some jackasses in the world..........

cbotnyse
12-03-2006, 05:55 PM
My mom founded and was first president of Nellie Fox's fan club.
She has a picture of Nellie holding me on the day I was born.

Favorite player? I guess I'd have to say yes.ok you win. :smile:

Chipol
12-03-2006, 07:35 PM
A few years ago I was walking up to the ticket booth at the Oakland Coliseum to get a ticket for a Sox game there. A guy intercepted me and told me that he had a spare ticket, first base box. Sold. Turns out that the seats were owned by three generations, Gramps, Dad and Son and that one of them couldn't make it that day. Since I had my full Sox gear on, the older guy asked who my favorite all-time Sox player was, and I answered Nellie Fox. The old guy started to chuckle and his son leaned over and told me that his dad was Nellie's roommate for a couple years in the minors. For the rest of the game, the guy told me Nellie Fox stories. I only wish I had a tape recorder. Most of the stories were about Nellie's pranks. The one I remember had to do with a teammate who had a lady in every city. One time, this guy was with the lady (married) in a hotel room and Nellie climbed up the fire escape, snuck into the room, and took off with both sets of clothes.

NoNeckEra
12-04-2006, 09:28 AM
I was only 4 when the Sox won the A.L. in 1959, which means that the "Go-Go Sox" are my first memory of baseball. Though my fondest memories of that era are going to the park to see the scoreboard "explode" after a Sox home run, for some reason, it was the least likely guy to homer, Nellie Fox that captured my imagination, and he was by far, my favorite player.

Nothing gets me nostalgic like seeing a big fat #2 on a vintage Sox jersey.