PDA

View Full Version : Fielding Range Stats

asboog
12-01-2006, 12:09 PM
I know there is a stat that measures a players fielding range. What is it and where can I find out a players individual stats. Thanks.

itsnotrequired
12-01-2006, 12:16 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?statType=3&teamPosCode=all&timeFrame=1&c_id=mlb&sitSplit=&venueID=&Submit=Submit&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2006&&sortByStat=RF

ondafarm
12-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Here: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=cws&baseballScope=CHA&teamPosCode=all&statType=3&timeSubFrame=2006&sitSplit=&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

are the White Sox 2006 fielding stats with their range factors, RF, second to last column.

To calculate the RF divide the put outs + assists (PO + A) by Innings played (INN) and multiply by 9.

Thus it is the number of outs they are responsible for defensively per game.

ondafarm
12-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Unfortunately, Range Factor gets corrupted by position. Center Fielders record more put outs than corner outfielders (unless you are Tori Hunter.) 1st basemen get a lot of put outs for simply catching the ball, catchers get more than their fair share and some pitching staffs do alot of strikeuts and deflate guys numbers. Defensive subs often have grossly high numbers as well.

asboog
12-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Unfortunately, Range Factor gets corrupted by position. Center Fielders record more put outs than corner outfielders (unless you are Tori Hunter.) 1st basemen get a lot of put outs for simply catching the ball, catchers get more than their fair share and some pitching staffs do alot of strikeuts and deflate guys numbers. Defensive subs often have grossly high numbers as well.

Yeah I was looking at that and was confused by all the first basemen with these huge numbers. Thanks for you help it was useful in a conversation I was having.

maurice
12-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Pierzynski: 15th
Konerko: 12th
Iguchi: 18th
Uribe: 8th
Crede: 2nd
Podsednik: 54th
Anderson: 3rd
Dye: 42nd

Mackowiak would have been 40th among OF but missed the cutoff by 4 games.

Keep in mind ODF's comments and that all 3 OF positions are grouped together.

FedEx227
12-01-2006, 03:33 PM
I think Zone Rating is a far superior stat then Fielding Range. Range as said above becomes corrupted by position, while Zone Rating puts every fielder on a level playing field.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Unfortunately, Range Factor gets corrupted by position. Center Fielders record more put outs than corner outfielders (unless you are Tori Hunter.) 1st basemen get a lot of put outs for simply catching the ball, catchers get more than their fair share and some pitching staffs do alot of strikeuts and deflate guys numbers. Defensive subs often have grossly high numbers as well.It also gets corrupted by your pitching staff, i.e. lots of GB pitchers raise RF for infielders and lower them for OF. It's among the most worthless stats there are.

FedEx227
12-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Exactly. Range factor is no different then looking at errors/assists, instead it just adds two numbers together. Thats why I like percentage/average stats like Zone Rating (The amount of balls fielded in your particular zone).

lumpyspun
12-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Anderson: 3rd
Dye: 42nd

Mackowiak would have been 40th among OF but missed the cutoff by 4 games.

Keep in mind ODF's comments and that all 3 OF positions are grouped together.

yea, but where was rowand ranked?

asboog
12-01-2006, 03:49 PM
I think Zone Rating is a far superior stat then Fielding Range. Range as said above becomes corrupted by position, while Zone Rating puts every fielder on a level playing field.

Then how do you calculate Zone rating?

ondafarm
12-01-2006, 04:29 PM
It also gets corrupted by your pitching staff, i.e. lots of GB pitchers raise RF for infielders and lower them for OF. . . Not to mention Astroturf, which ups the numbers for corner infielders and outfielders but sinks middle infielders, all by quite large factors.

ondafarm
12-01-2006, 04:33 PM
yea, but where was rowand ranked?

Same criteria in 2005 he was the 13th outfielder.

ARow 2.57 (2005)
BA 2.87 (2006)

FedEx227
12-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Then how do you calculate Zone rating?

It dictates zones based on parks. http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/dialed_in/discussion/what_is_zone_rating/

that will tell you all you need to know.

asboog
12-01-2006, 07:00 PM
It dictates zones based on parks. http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/dialed_in/discussion/what_is_zone_rating/

that will tell you all you need to know.

Thanks

jabrch
12-01-2006, 07:36 PM
If you take the RF and Divide it by the ZR and then add UZR/(E/TC), you will get a statistic that is equally as telling as any of those stats are individually.

Defensive statistics still suck.

Daver
12-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Defensive statistics still suck.

So do offensive statistics if you get right down to it, they tell you what a player does, it does not tell you when he did it, and what the circumstances are.

Brian26
12-01-2006, 08:55 PM
So do offensive statistics if you get right down to it, they tell you what a player does, it does not tell you when he did it, and what the circumstances are.

Your guy Ken Harrelson has a saying about that :D: