PDA

View Full Version : Pods Back For '07

Pages : [1] 2

Vives
12-01-2006, 12:20 PM
just reported by the trib:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061201soxpods,1,5182251.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

1 yr deal - $2.9M

WizardsofOzzie
12-01-2006, 12:21 PM
And more trade rumors die :redneck

SABRSox
12-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Expected, unfortunately... I guess Kenny didn't have much of a choice in this market. We'll just have to pray that we get the 2005 Pods.

Still, if we could upgrade, Pods makes a fantastic, fantastic 4th OF.

JermaineDye05
well hopefully he's being signed to bat lower in the order and a trade is on the horizon for a lead off hitter

D. TODD
That doesn't mean he's back yet. Now since he is under contract and avoided arbitration the trade talks can begin in full effect.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Well lets hope his play in odd numbered years continues. I just think he is finished.

champagne030
12-01-2006, 12:25 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061201soxpods,1,5182251.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

1 yr deal - $2.9M

Not real happy with him at leadoff, but it's better than paying some shmoe 3/$13M or some 38 year old DH $18M (DeRosa and Alf).

itsnotrequired
12-01-2006, 12:29 PM
That doesn't mean he's back yet. Now since he is under contract and avoided arbitration the trade talks can begin in full effect.

What this guy said...

I want Mags back
12-01-2006, 12:30 PM
i think its a good move for the price. who's to say he wont put '05 numbers

Jenks4Prez
12-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Great to hear!!! Scottie won us a world series game... I will always love him for that!

JermaineDye05
12-01-2006, 12:34 PM

:cleo
"I'm predicting it"

Sox Fan 35
12-01-2006, 12:35 PM
I would rather have Pods back for that than overpay for Pierre or Roberts.

Hangar18
12-01-2006, 12:36 PM
well hopefully he's being signed to bat lower in the order and a trade is on the horizon for a lead off hitter

Good one, this is a distinct possibility. Can anyone confirm Scotty being given a Very Thorough Physical exam in the last few weeks ??
Im trying to get more info myself ....... :wink:

Myrtle72
12-01-2006, 12:38 PM
And "What's the Score" just lost about half its threads... :tongue:

CaptainBallz
12-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Eh, well...we'll see what happens. I think think he's a bit of the head case and have serious reservations about him patrolling LF again and spotting the club an out in their first AB. If he can turn it around, fine, but by the sounds of that story, it has nothing to do with Kenny's confidence in Pods abilities that he's signed back on...

lakeviewsoxfan
12-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Great to hear!!! Scottie won us a world series game... I will always love him for that!

So will every CWS. Needless to say his play last year SUCKED he could not hit lefties if defense was bad and he lost a step. Hopefully he can regain the form he had back in 05. I hate this signing.

Jerko
Don't worry Hangar, he's getting his eyes checked too.........

I want Mags back
wow, Vives joined in January of this year and just made his first post. :?:

Myrtle72
12-01-2006, 12:41 PM
wow, Vives joined in January of this year and just made his first post. :?:

Vives has been waiting for this very moment.

gobears1987
12-01-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm happy with Pods.

Remember he was really screwed up by not having a spring training.

chisoxmike
12-01-2006, 12:43 PM

If there's one thing I hate more than people saying "2006 was fine and I accept our 3rd place finish becuase we won the World Series last year." is the "Keep ___ player on the team becuase he ____ in the World Series."

Signing Podsednik was a move that just had to be made. Like it or not, it seemed like he was coming back right when the offseason started. If Kenny can upgrade LF and leadoff, he will. (NOT with Manny.)

Lip Man 1
12-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Not totally unexpected given Williams' comments about 'staying pat' in the past and the cost some leadoff types got in the market. We'll see.

Like I said I can live with Pods in left field (or Mack) but I can't live with the idea of Boone Logan in the bullpen.

That area needs to be upgraded badly.

Just 'get er' done' Kenny.

Lip

chisoxmike
12-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Like I said I can live with Pods in left field (or Mack) but I can't live with the idea of Boone Logan in the bullpen.

Lip

Word. While having a productive Podsednik in the lead off spot wouldn've been a huge help this year, a lot of people seem to forget the 12, yes 12 games blown by the pitching in the 7, 8, and 9th innings. That, right there, would have put us in the playoffs.

TheOldRoman
12-01-2006, 12:50 PM
As others said, this doesn't mean he is coming back. A lot of teams would be in the market for a Podsednik (maybe not championship caibler teams), and $2.9mil is a bargain compared to the other garbage contracts given out this year. If KW finds a better leadoff man, he will be able to move Pods with no problems.

And could people PLEASE stop saying he would be a great 4th outfielder? He would be a horrible fourth outfielder. The most important thing off the bench is defense, and he is really bad at it. Also, bench players need to be able to play more than one position (because there are only 5 bench spots). Pods plays the least important defensive position, and he does it poorly. If we are going to have Scott on the bench, we might as well sign a backup DH, too.

The Dude
12-01-2006, 12:52 PM

1 yr deal - $2.9M

Can someone jack me in the face right now?:angry::angry::angry::whiner::whiner::whiner:

itsnotrequired
12-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Can someone jack me in the face right now?:angry::angry::angry::whiner::whiner::whiner:

*itsnotrequired jacks The Dude in the face*

Okay, now that we got that out of the way, what's the problem here?

DoubleO
12-01-2006, 12:56 PM
one-year, $2.9 million contract with outfielder Scott Podsednik, avoiding arbitration

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20061201&content_id=1748683&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnered=rss_cws

WizardsofOzzie
12-01-2006, 12:57 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81794

:searchfirst:

Chisox003
12-01-2006, 01:00 PM
*itsnotrequired jacks The Dude in the face*

Okay, now that we got that out of the way, what's the problem here?
Honestly.

The options weren't and still aren't very good....at all.

I think Scott will have a great year. Coming back healthy in spring training (hopefully) should make a huge difference on the entire season. If the chance for an "upgrade" comes along, I'm sure KW will jump on it at the right price.

Now though, this is fine.

LuvSox
12-01-2006, 01:01 PM
I hope they included a "Get your **** together" clause. Get on base and steal the next one!!!!!!!!!!

jenn2080
12-01-2006, 01:03 PM
I did see Pods in Len Crafters yesterday. He said his contacts will be ready in a week. He is good to go. This can only explain why they signed him for another year.

SoxxoS
12-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Good times. He is a "every other year player, so we got that going for us."

Hard to find leadoff guys like Scott in 2005, obviously. This can't hurt...1 year deal...very nice.

JB98
12-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Not totally unexpected given Williams' comments about 'staying pat' in the past and the cost some leadoff types got in the market. We'll see.

That area needs to be upgraded badly.

Just 'get er' done' Kenny.

Lip

Lip, I agree. I would much rather see the Sox pay Pods $3 million for one year, as opposed to throwing $45 million down the toilet over five years for a minimal upgrade like Juan Pierre. KW is gambling that Pods bounces back, but it's certainly a good gamble from a business perspective. If it doesn't work out, the Sox aren't stuck with a ****ty contract for the next four or five years.

I'm still concerned about our bullpen. I wasn't sad to see Cotts go. He had a horrible 2006, but I'm not sold on Boone Logan. Almost every time the kid came in with men on base, he soiled himself and walked the first hitter he faced.

Two lefties in the bullpen is a nice luxury, but I don't think it's a necessity. I'd rather have another quality right-handed arm than a second left-hander who is a bum. We have a lot of great left-handed hitters in our division (Mauer, Morneau, Hafner), and I don't think Logan can get them out. With the way Ozzie loves that lefty-righty matchup stuff, you know he'd stubbornly trot Logan out there against those guys. He proved that with Cotts last year. Morneau has his name tattooed on Neal's ass, yet Ozzie still foolishly went with that matchup time and time again.

WizardsofOzzie
12-01-2006, 01:05 PM
I did see Pods in Len Crafters yesterday. He said his contacts will be ready in a week. He is good to go. This can only explain why they signed him for another year.
I thought he was just suffering from pennies in a jar syndrome?? :redneck

Chicken Dinner
12-01-2006, 01:06 PM
I was kind of hoping for someone else.

jenn2080
I thought he was just suffering from pennies in a jar syndrome?? :redneck

He says his pennies are better too.

chisoxmike

:rolleyes: This is the kind of stuff that is causing problems.

WizardsofOzzie
12-01-2006, 01:07 PM
He says his pennies are better too.
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: Ahhhh jenn, you're a riot

Pierzynski 12
12-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Awesome.:booty:

WizardsofOzzie
12-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Interesting.:booty:
What is so interesting?? Your contribution to this thread???

EDIT: Changed your mind huh?

WizardsofOzzie
12-01-2006, 01:09 PM
How's your photoshop skills Jenn? I expect to see a picture of Pods with specs by the end of the day :D:

CPditka
12-01-2006, 01:09 PM

I love teal...

I actually had dinner with Kenny Williams last night at Outback and after we had a few Fosters, an awesome blossom, and 2 racks of Ribs a piece he told me that Pods is on his way out of town. If Juan Piere can get rediculous money, Im sure Kenny can get a few prospects or the like for Juan-lite, aka the Ghost of Pods.

I dont hate this signing. Im not sure if I like it either though. We'll see if hes on the roster in the spring.

itsnotrequired
12-01-2006, 01:11 PM

A classic conspiracy from yesteryear.

:thumbsup:

chaerulez
12-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Can't say I'm happy about this.

champagne030
12-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Honestly.

The options weren't and still aren't very good....at all.

I think Scott will have a great year. Coming back healthy in spring training (hopefully) should make a huge difference on the entire season. If the chance for an "upgrade" comes along, I'm sure KW will jump on it at the right price.

Now though, this is fine.

I guess I think of it this way:

Champagne is STARVING and goes into a restaurant. "I'll take the filet."
Waiter/waitress says, "I'm sorry, we're out of that."
Champagne: "How about the pork chop?"
Waitstaff: "We're out of that too."
Champagne: "How about the swordfish?"
Waitstaff: "We're also out of that."
Champagne: "What do you have?"
Waitstaff: "Tuna salad."
Champagne: "I guess I'll take it since I'm starving and you have nothing else."

I guess we have to take Pods because everybody else is unavailable either through crazy contracts or trade demands, but he still sucks.

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-01-2006, 01:14 PM
I want CrawFord!!! :whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

:?:...What are you guys looking at...:?:

ondafarm
12-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Ozzie said he'd like to go again with the same team. I'm presuming this now means nearly the same team, we are minus Cotts. I would like to see an upgrade on several relief spots and we have a starting pitcher as trade bait.

aryzner
12-01-2006, 01:16 PM
I gotta be honest with you guys and say I don't mind this signing at all. If Pods is back next year then great, if he gets traded for something that'll help us, that's fine, too.

I, like many others I'm sure, haven't been very concerned with our lineup as much as I've been concerned about pitching. I just want KW to make some great moves that will benefit our pitching staff. It's really all I'm concerned about right now.

champagne030
12-01-2006, 01:16 PM

My cousin, Vinny, said Pods stayed at an Holiday Inn Express last night. Maybe he remembered how to get on base, steal a base and catch a flyball.

Chrisaway
12-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Amen to the end of rediculous trade rumors. Go get em Pods.

Dolanski
12-01-2006, 01:18 PM
For those of you Pods haters, let's take a look at the free agent options of leadoff outfielders.

Gary Mathews Jr., Age: 31, 5 years/50 mill
-One good season means he gets OVERPAID. I can only imagine his agent in the room with the Angels, laughing under his breath, "Suckers!" Wow is this going to be an atrocious deal in two years when he sucks. Oh, hell, when he does nothing next year, this will be a bad deal.

Juan Pierre, Age: 30, 5 years/45 mill
-Still too much money. And again, is 9 mill a year going to be worth it when he is 35 and has to use a walker to get to 1st base? No. I see Pierre as a slight upgrade over Pods. Same "eh" defense, better hitter, slightly worse baserunner.

Dave Roberts, Age: 34,rumored 3 years/15-18 mil
-Mr. Hamstring pull himself. 5 to 6 million a year for a guy who will play probably around 100 games. Good call!

Pods, 30, 1 yr/2.9 mil
-Yeah, last season wasn't very good for him. But at 2.9 mill, we are definitely not overpaying. Lots of ifs on him, but I would rather have a single season deal for a guy with ifs, than overpaying for a bad baseball player in a few seasons. Oh, and don't underestimate the "playing for a contract next year" aspect.

champagne030
12-01-2006, 01:19 PM
For those of you Pods haters, let's take a look at the free agent options of leadoff outfielders.

-One good season means he gets OVERPAID. I can only imagine his agent in the room with the Angels, laughing under his breath, "Suckers!" Wow is this going to be an atrocious deal in two years when he sucks. Oh, hell, when he does nothing next year, this will be a bad deal.

-Still too much money. And again, is 9 mill a year going to be worth it when he is 35 and has to use a walker to get to 1st base? No. I see Pierre as a slight upgrade over Pods. Same "eh" defense, better hitter, slightly worse baserunner.

-Mr. Hamstring pull himself. 5 to 6 million a year for a guy who will play probably around 100 games. Good call!

Pods, 30, 1 yr/2.9 mil
-Yeah, last season wasn't very good for him. But at 2.9 mill, we are definitely not overpaying. Lots of ifs on him, but I would rather have a single season deal for a guy with ifs, than overpaying for a bad baseball player in a few seasons. Oh, and don't underestimate the "playing for a contract next year" aspect.

You mean like this past year?

itsnotrequired
12-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Oh, and don't underestimate the "playing for a contract next year" aspect.

Excellent point.

34rancher
12-01-2006, 01:21 PM
This is a GREAT and CHEAP solution. First off, has anyone here actaully had a hernia besides yours truly? It took me about 16 months (at age 32) to recover from that hernia. I mean I was able to walk, work, and even workout after a couple of weeks. But it did not feel like normal (it felt like I had re-injured it) for about 16 months. I kept going to the doctor (and 2 others) who lept telling me that it takes a year for 100%. People Scotty Pods had a double hernia (one high, one low) surgury last January. He was healthy enough to play, but I can promise you that he felt like I did. I look for him to easily bounce back this year. RELAX, we just saved a lot of money (on our car insurance?). This is very good news, we will have our table setter back.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-01-2006, 01:22 PM

Pods, 30, 1 yr/2.9 mil

The contract year hopefully will light a fire under him. I think we will have the same team next year sans some of the ****ty BP. I believe KW has just begun.

Hangar18
I want CrawFord!!! :whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

:?:...What are you guys looking at...:?:

At this point, I dont think Crawford is an option anymore either ........:(:

CPditka
He probably got the hernia from moving around all of those pennies. Sport hernia, yeah right.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-01-2006, 01:23 PM
You mean like this past year?

No he will be a full blown FA next year I believe he was only arb eligible this off season.

Hangar18
12-01-2006, 01:24 PM

Pods, 30, 1 yr/2.9 mil

Excellent points. Some of us did say there were 2 things that would keep him here, and contract was one of them. He was NOT going to win in arbitration ......

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-01-2006, 01:25 PM
This is a GREAT and CHEAP solution. First off, has anyone here actaully had a hernia besides yours truly? It took me about 16 months (at age 32) to recover from that hernia. I mean I was able to walk, work, and even workout after a couple of weeks. But it did not feel like normal (it felt like I had re-injured it) for about 16 months. I kept going to the doctor (and 2 others) who lept telling me that it takes a year for 100%. People Scotty Pods had a double hernia (one high, one low) surgury last January. He was healthy enough to play, but I can promise you that he felt like I did. I look for him to easily bounce back this year. RELAX, we just saved a lot of money (on our car insurance?). This is very good news, we will have our table setter back.
Can i ask you a question (since i don't know practically anything about hernias)? If he played most of the season last year, wouldn't he only be slightly better next year, on account he really didn't let the surgery heal out the way it should (intense games/practices)?

34rancher
12-01-2006, 01:25 PM
He probably got the hernia from moving around all of those pennies. Sport hernia, yeah right.

1. He had it most of 2005.
2. Then again the man is married to a beautiful woman. I got mine right after getting married...hmmmmm....

champagne030
12-01-2006, 01:26 PM
No he will be a full blown FA next year I believe he was only arb eligible this off season.

You mean like Riske after we don't offer arbitration?

JermaineDye05
12-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Good one, this is a distinct possibility. Can anyone confirm Scotty being given a Very Thorough Physical exam in the last few weeks ??

Dr Hartman-"oh Mr. Podsednik this does not look good, no it does not look good at all..."

Pods-"Oh my God what is it?"

Dr. Hartman- "The Cubs just signed Julio Lugo to play centerfield for 30 million over 2 years"

lakeviewsoxfan
12-01-2006, 01:27 PM
You mean like Riske after we don't offer arbitration?

Yes

spiffie
12-01-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm so happy that our plan seems to be to bring back the exact same team that showed absolutely no heart, will, desire, or interest the second half of the season, only now they're all another year older.

But hey, Hawk said they just haven't hit their stride yet, maybe 2007 will work out better.

I guess in some ways it's not a bad idea. Kenny put together a team everyone was sure would win 110 games and march 11-0 through the playoffs. At the end of the year it fell apart like the Bluesmobile, but the idea was still a good one. So give it one more year and cross fingers. Of course, if this year leads to another crappy second half and failure (And why have every one of Ozzie's teams sucked in the second half? You'd think since he's supposed to be the master motivator and all his resting guys for the stretch would make them tougher in August/Sept.) I expect this team to get dynamited after the 2007 season, and over 1/2 the roster get turned over before 2008.

34rancher
12-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Can i ask you a question (since i don't know practically anything about hernias)? If he played most of the season last year, wouldn't he only be slightly better next year, on account he really didn't let the surgery heal out the way it should (intense games/practices)?

From what my doctor told me after I had it (and assuming he had a patch)...after a month there really is nothing you can do to the mesh patch that is inside there, as it actually makes the abs about 4 times stonger in that region. He gave the the go ahead for pretty much normal life. It was much more a matter of discomfort and not trusting the area. You really are just cautious and kind of gimpy for a while, as you don't realize how much you use your core area until you hurt it It is a very tender feeling.

Hangar18
12-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Yes

In other words, he has become much more "trade-able" ......

spawn
12-01-2006, 01:30 PM
I haven't read every post in this thread, so if this has already been said I apologize...I'm happy to have Pods back at that price, considering where the market is on outfielders as talented as he is (see Juan Pierre).

Qdiddy
12-01-2006, 01:35 PM
This is per the Cubune, but here's the link: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061201soxpods,1,5182251.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

I guess it's only a 1yr deal, so I can live with that.

chisoxmike
12-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Welcome to this morning...

TornLabrum
12-01-2006, 01:41 PM
What I want to know is this: Does anybody ever read the ****ing thread titles before they post "hot news" here? I'm getting sick of merging threads because people don't take the time to ****ing read the ****ing thread titles. Heads are going to roll pretty soon.

Milkman43
12-01-2006, 01:41 PM
I screamed in anger when I heard the news.

Baby Fisk
12-01-2006, 01:49 PM
What I want to know is this: Does anybody ever read the ****ing thread titles before they post "hot news" here? I'm getting sick of merging threads because people don't take the time to ****ing read the ****ing thread titles. Heads are going to roll pretty soon.

Next person to start a Pods thread should be required to buy drinks for the house. I can taste the Guinness now... :gulp:

Palehose13
12-01-2006, 01:51 PM

Exactly! Pods wasn't setting the world on fire, but the Sox could have done worse. There aren't too many teams out there with a bonified lead off hitter let alone a Rickey Henderson.

oeo
12-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Why throw tons of money at guys that are going to give you the same thing as Pods? The only upgrades would be through a trade, and I really thought Kenny was going to make a trade.

Welcome back...prove us all wrong and have a monster year next year. I really hope he works his ass off this offseason to get back to form.

Mickster
12-01-2006, 02:01 PM

http://www.worldwide-web.com/JeffreyBabad/Simpsons/Nick/nick.jpg
"Hi Everybody!"

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_325392.jpg
"Hi, Dr. Nick."

ChicagoHoosier
12-01-2006, 02:06 PM

Your work is appreciated, but hopefully people will get the point. While I don't post very often, I try my best to make sure there isn't a recent thread on a topc I'm about to start. It seems that someone usually will beat me to it, so then I just add my comments to that one.

But, I think we should all thank the mods for continuing to clean up the board and merge the threads so we have a consolidated view to that subject.

Thanks mods! :gulp:

NoNeckEra
12-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Did your snowblower not start this morning or what? Sheesh.

WizardsofOzzie
12-01-2006, 02:14 PM
:DJ

Uh-Ohh

Hitmen77
12-01-2006, 02:15 PM

What this guy said...

As others said, this doesn't mean he is coming back. A lot of teams would be in the market for a Podsednik (maybe not championship caibler teams), and $2.9mil is a bargain compared to the other garbage contracts given out this year. If KW finds a better leadoff man, he will be able to move Pods with no problems.

Why is this so hard to understand??

QCIASOXFAN
12-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Bring back my "I stand by Pods thread."

Hitmen77
12-01-2006, 02:18 PM
....and why, after reading the posts that I quoted above, are people still posting this???:?:

So will every CWS. Needless to say his play last year SUCKED he could not hit lefties if defense was bad and he lost a step. Hopefully he can regain the form he had back in 05. I hate this signing.

I was kind of hoping for someone else.

Can't say I'm happy about this.

TornLabrum
12-01-2006, 02:22 PM

Sinus headache...and a whole lot of unnecessary need to merge threads when the information being posted in the new thread is right up at the top of the ****ing menu.

TornLabrum
12-01-2006, 02:23 PM
....and why, after reading the posts that I quoted above, are people still posting this???:?:

My guess is that they wanted to see if you knew how to use the multi-quote function. :redneck

spiffie
12-01-2006, 02:32 PM
To those who have asked why we automatically assume Pods is coming back, I would say because right now that is the likely default option. No one in the organization has even whispered any interest in moving him or in changing the LF position. KW has basically said he would be standing pat this offseason unless something totally overwhelmed him. Sure, he might get traded, but I fail to see why anyone looking at this would not assume that the much greater likelihood is that he will be returning to lead off and play LF for the Sox next year.

jdm2662
12-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Not too suprised here. There isn't really an upgrade out there for lead off, and with the outragous contracts given out, if Pods doesn't work this year, you won't be on the hook for the next 3-4 years. I don't necessarily like the move, but I don't hate it, either.

samram
12-01-2006, 03:16 PM
To those who have asked why we automatically assume Pods is coming back, I would say because right now that is the likely default option. No one in the organization has even whispered any interest in moving him or in changing the LF position. KW has basically said he would be standing pat this offseason unless something totally overwhelmed him. Sure, he might get traded, but I fail to see why anyone looking at this would not assume that the much greater likelihood is that he will be returning to lead off and play LF for the Sox next year.

And that sucks. I guess KW is counting on everybody who was good in 2006 to be good again and everyone who was good in 2005 and bad in 2006 to be good in 2007. I don't know how good this strategy is.

At least it's just a one year deal.

oeo
12-01-2006, 03:18 PM
And that sucks. I guess KW is counting on everybody who was good in 2006 to be good again and everyone who was good in 2005 and bad in 2006 to be good in 2007. I don't know how good this strategy is.

At least it's just a one year deal.

Who do you want him to get? Sign Roberts until he's into his upper thirties for a large amount of money, when Pods will probably give us the same thing next year?

If a deal comes along, I'm sure Kenny will still jump on it...but there are/were no upgrades through free agency.

infohawk
12-01-2006, 03:19 PM
He may very well put up better numbers, particularly in the steal department, now that he's one year removed from that double hernia operation. I also like his chances of at least hitting better than .260 in 2007. If the Sox can get .270 - .280 with 50 - 60 steals out of him, that would be terrific. Besides, he's a bargain.

Also, just because he's resigned doesn't mean KW will stop trying to make trades for a leftfielder if someone becomes available.

veeter
12-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I have a feeling Scotty is going to have a very good year.

samram
12-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Who do you want him to get? Sign Roberts until he's into his upper thirties for a large amount of money, when Pods will probably give us the same thing next year?

If a deal comes along, I'm sure Kenny will still jump on it...but there are/were no upgrades through free agency.

I didn't say there was anyone necessarily better. I just said it sucks that Pods will likely be back and leading off. I think KW thinks the same.

jsinaiko
12-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Disdaining the high-priced free agent market, the White Sox re-signed left fielder Scott Podsednik to a one year, $2.9 million contract.

Yikes! Why?

CHISOXFAN13
12-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Please look for threads or use the search button. There are 90 posts about this already.

The Critic
I'm OK with Podsednik coming back for another try, but I really hope he can play his game in 2007. Bunting, stealing, and running hard ALL the way down the line on ground balls.
I got SO tired of seeing him slow down over the last 20 feet down the line.
I hope Mackowiak or Sweeney can play LF if Podsednik doesn't return to 2005 form.

lumpyspun
oh geez...

QCIASOXFAN
:unsure: Where did you here this??

jenn2080
12-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi welcome to the search function located to the right of this page. It is a pretty cool tool.

chisoxmike
12-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Disdaining the high-priced free agent market, the White Sox re-signed left fielder Scott Podsednik to a one year, $2.9 million contract.

Yikes! Why?

That's 3... :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Grzegorz
12-01-2006, 03:43 PM

Absolutely; a good signing.

TornLabrum
12-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Hey gang! I just heard the Sox re-signed Podsednik! :angry:

DeadMoney
12-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Considering the amount of money that has been shelled out to FA leadoff hitters this off-season, this is a bargain. As a few people have said, because of his injury in '06, he seemed (to me at least) to be laboring and favoring the problem. He was always running very gingerly and if that has fully healed (which I presume it has by now), he should be at least able to offer a speed threat that, before this signing, we didn't have.

I also believe that if a Figgins/Santana for Crede/Garcia (or something to bring Figgins in, since he seems like the odd man out in LA), Pods would be a good fit for the bottom of the order with Figgins leading off. This also gives the Sox many options for this type of deal (if we dropped Crede from the equation), Figgins could play CF, or 3B and it would allow Anderson, Pods and Fields to battle for a starting spot. It also (with the news of McCarthy definitely moving back to the starting spot) opens a possible trade of Garcia for Figgins (while keeping Crede) and moving Figgins to CF. I guess my point is that this opens a lot of different possibilities and if nothing else, it's a cheap risk (I know 2.9 mil doesn't sound cheap, but with the market this off-season, it is). And for those of you suggesting that this might lead to a Pods trade, I just don't see him going anywhere.

The last thing this does is, it puts the Sox in a much stronger bargaining position when trying to get someone via trade. Now, Kenny can always pull the, "well, we don't need [your guy], so if you don't want [insert player], they find someone else to deal with."

chisoxmike
12-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Hey gang! I just heard the Sox re-signed Podsednik! :angry:

You should start a thread about it! :thumbsup:

SoxxoS
12-01-2006, 03:46 PM
The Japanese just bombed Pearl Harbor.

chisoxmike
12-01-2006, 03:46 PM
The Japanese just bombed Pearl Harbor.

:rolling:

Flight #24
12-01-2006, 03:53 PM
As long as we're playing this game, here's a guaranteed crowd-pleaser....

The White Sox won the World Series!!!!!
:bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp: :supernana: :happybday :gulp: :gulp:

TheOldRoman
12-01-2006, 03:54 PM
If the Sox keep Podsednik, I hope they bring in Brady Clark as the fourth outfielder. He can play all 3 positions, and takes a lot of walks. He has good speed, but he doesn't steal bases. Worst case scenario, he steps in if Pods is bad and gets on base a lot.

Craig Grebeck
12-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Ryan Church anyone? Excellent fourth outfielder

soxinem1
12-01-2006, 04:08 PM

That's the best logic to have. Not only is the price right, but he can be traded too.....

A bit of a reality break. You cannot have All-Stars at every position.

Wait, he is an All-Star. Okay, perennial All-Stars then.

But if we could get a lead-off man and bat Pods ninth, that would be better. You can do a lot worse with 30-40 SB's and 45-50 RBI's from your #9 hitter.

JermaineDye05
12-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Ryan Church anyone? Excellent fourth outfielder

I can vouch for this one, he was crazy clutch for me in MLB The Show

chisoxmike
12-01-2006, 04:13 PM
I can vouch for this one, he was crazy clutch for me in MLB The Show

Um, you're...joking...right?

spawn
12-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi welcome to the search function located to the right of this page. It is a pretty cool tool.
It's funny...when I hear news like this, I automatically assume someone at WSI has already found it and posted it, so the first thing I do is look for any threads on the subject.

SABRSox
12-01-2006, 04:24 PM
That's 3... :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

As much as I hate seeing 3 threads about the same thing, I love seeing my tag in action.

mjmcend
12-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Considering the amount of money that has been shelled out to FA leadoff hitters this off-season, this is a bargain. As a few people have said, because of his injury in '06, he seemed (to me at least) to be laboring and favoring the problem. He was always running very gingerly and if that has fully healed (which I presume it has by now), he should be at least able to offer a speed threat that, before this signing, we didn't have.

I also believe that if a Figgins/Santana for Crede/Garcia (or something to bring Figgins in, since he seems like the odd man out in LA), Pods would be a good fit for the bottom of the order with Figgins leading off. This also gives the Sox many options for this type of deal (if we dropped Crede from the equation), Figgins could play CF, or 3B and it would allow Anderson, Pods and Fields to battle for a starting spot. It also (with the news of McCarthy definitely moving back to the starting spot) opens a possible trade of Garcia for Figgins (while keeping Crede) and moving Figgins to CF. I guess my point is that this opens a lot of different possibilities and if nothing else, it's a cheap risk (I know 2.9 mil doesn't sound cheap, but with the market this off-season, it is). And for those of you suggesting that this might lead to a Pods trade, I just don't see him going anywhere.

Excellent idea. Lets trade a starter signed ot a below market one-year deal for Chone. Then coupled with Pods and Uribe, we can field the worst combined 8-9-1 hitters in the majors.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 04:28 PM
The Japanese just bombed Pearl Harbor.http://www.carpenoctem.tv/haunt/ca/img/belushi.jpg The Japanese?

FedEx227
12-01-2006, 04:31 PM

Totally agreed. In-fact we might as well trade Crede for Geoff Blum, Crede didn't win us any games, what a punk.

JermaineDye05
12-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Um, you're...joking...right?

yeah I forgot the teal my bad

Nellie_Fox
12-01-2006, 04:34 PM
But if we could get a lead-off man and bat Pods ninth, that would be better. You can do a lot worse with 30-40 SB's and 45-50 RBI's from your #9 hitter.Remember that dropping him from leadoff to ninth in the order would give him roughly 150 fewer plate appearances, dropping his opportunities for SB (although oddly increasing his RBI opportunities.)

Link to source (http://www.actasports.com/sows.php)

kidmccarthy
12-01-2006, 04:37 PM
I will judge this move when all of us should, THE END OF SPRING TRAINING!!
Seriously, Kenny Williams is our GM. Don't you know that by now? Who knows what the roster will look like by opening day. I will reserve judgement on all deals til march, unless we get Arod.:D:

Dolanski
12-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Boiling this signing down:

We got the poor man's Juan Pierre for the Tony Graffanino price. $6 million a year difference (2.9 mil vs. 9 mil) for a slight drop off in offense. Worth it if you ask me.

samram
12-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Boiling this signing down:

We got the poor man's Juan Pierre for the Tony Graffanino price. $6 million a year difference (2.9 mil vs. 9 mil) for a slight drop off in offense. Worth it if you ask me.

The "bargain" only matters if it allows the team to improve in other areas. If the rest of the team stays the same, then all you have is a bad leadoff man at a small price. I'm not sure that helps the team win games, which is, after all, the object.

jabrch
12-01-2006, 05:00 PM
For 3mm, worst case he is a fine 4th OF. I'd take that over paying 15mm for Dave Roberts to sit on the DL for 50+ games for 3 years. I'd take it over 9mm for Pierre and I'd take it over most team's 4th OF.

I'd rather have Soriano, Drew, Lee, etc. but those were guys who'd cost 15mm. It isn't a price that management felt was worth it. That would have limited us too much in other areas. I trust Kenny. He's done a fine job assembling teams that have won 189 games in the past two years. I don't see any reason why next years' team won't be somewhere in that 90-100 win area. More often than not, that gets you into the post season.

TheOldRoman
12-01-2006, 05:13 PM
For 3mm, worst case he is a fine 4th OF. I'd take that over paying 15mm for Dave Roberts to sit on the DL for 50+ games for 3 years. I'd take it over 9mm for Pierre and I'd take it over most team's 4th OF.
:thud:

bafiarocks03
12-01-2006, 05:13 PM
:supernana: i have one word to sayy

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOO!!:bandance: PeanutButterJellyTimeeee!:bandance:

Lip Man 1
12-01-2006, 05:16 PM
"I'm not going to force anything, but I would like to put one more quality arm in the bullpen," --Kenny Williams to Scott Merkin, Whitesox.com

Lip

spiffie
12-01-2006, 05:17 PM
The "bargain" only matters if it allows the team to improve in other areas. If the rest of the team stays the same, then all you have is a bad leadoff man at a small price. I'm not sure that helps the team win games, which is, after all, the object.
THANK YOU!

This is what my problem has been all offseason. Every possible area of improvement has been pooh-poohed with the idea that something else is more in need of improvement. And the circle seems to just keep looping in on itself without anything seemingly being viable.

Yay. Pods is cheap. We signed a mediocre player cheap. Will the team be any better because Pods is cheap? Considering that there are really no prospects to improve any other position, any of the starting rotation, or any real upgrades available on the FA market for the bullpen, the fact that we saved money by signing Podsednik for cheap seems like good news only for Jerry and his partners. This isn't a "Jerry is cheap" rant. He has shown no fear to open up the purse to get the guys Kenny Williams asks for. I just fear that Kenny is enamored with the team he built and very reluctant to make any changes.

Basically it seems like any hope for improvement is all being put in the basket of trading either Freddy or Javier. And the groundwork is being laid for that not to happen either with the talk about not trading any starter and how they won't hesitate to send McCarthy to Charlotte next year to keep him starting if need be. At this point I think one has to conclude it is a reasonable possibility that the exact same team, with the exceptions of David Aardsma and Chris Stewart replacing Neal Cotts and Sandy Alomar (and the returns of Boone Logan and Sean Tracey), will be coming back for 2007. I know some people would be very happy about that. After all, they were supposed to win it all in 2006, so surely 2007 should work out just fine, right?

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 05:23 PM
THANK YOU!

This is what my problem has been all offseason. Every possible area of improvement has been pooh-poohed with the idea that something else is more in need of improvement. And the circle seems to just keep looping in on itself without anything seemingly being viable.

Yay. Pods is cheap. We signed a mediocre player cheap. Will the team be any better because Pods is cheap? Considering that there are really no prospects to improve any other position, any of the starting rotation, or any real upgrades available on the FA market for the bullpen, the fact that we saved money by signing Podsednik for cheap seems like good news only for Jerry and his partners. This isn't a "Jerry is cheap" rant. He has shown no fear to open up the purse to get the guys Kenny Williams asks for. I just fear that Kenny is enamored with the team he built and very reluctant to make any changes.

Basically it seems like any hope for improvement is all being put in the basket of trading either Freddy or Javier. And the groundwork is being laid for that not to happen either with the talk about not trading any starter and how they won't hesitate to send McCarthy to Charlotte next year to keep him starting if need be. At this point I think one has to conclude it is a reasonable possibility that the exact same team, with the exceptions of David Aardsma and Chris Stewart replacing Neal Cotts and Sandy Alomar (and the returns of Boone Logan and Sean Tracey), will be coming back for 2007. I know some people would be very happy about that. After all, they were supposed to win it all in 2006, so surely 2007 should work out just fine, right?We're here............\/
http://www.reformation.org/december-calendar.jpg

oeo
12-01-2006, 05:25 PM

But you have no idea if we will have a bad leadoff hitter next year. He could be good. 2005 wasn't even the best season of his career, he had a much better year in 2003. So he is capable of repeating his 2005. I guess we'll see if he really did "lose a step", or due to his surgery he couldn't stay in form over the offseason. But I do think he can get his bunting back to 2005 form, and get his OBP back up.

We need to hope we get the good Pods. The chances of us getting the good one are just as good as getting the bad one according to his career numbers. Let's wait until we see about a month of play before we call him a bad leadoff hitter. He can be bad, but he can also be good...hopefully he's tearing up the basepaths again.

spiffie
12-01-2006, 05:32 PM
But you have no idea if we will have a bad leadoff hitter next year. He could be good. 2005 wasn't even the best season of his career, he had a much better year in 2003. So he is capable of repeating his 2005. I guess we'll see if he really did "lose a step", or due to his surgery he couldn't stay in form over the offseason. But I do think he can get his bunting back to 2005 form, and get his OBP back up.

We need to hope we get the good Pods. The chances of us getting the good one are just as good as getting the bad one according to his career numbers. Let's wait until we see about a month of play before we call him a bad leadoff hitter. He can be bad, but he can also be good...hopefully he's tearing up the basepaths again.
The problem is that you're assuming his dropoff from after the first half of 2005 is some sort of random thing, like he flipped a coin and suddenly became "Bad Pods" for the next 220 or so games.

It is more likely he will be bad Pods due to the fact that he is a speed guy who has suffered a major injury that impacts the only thing he does better than average. Sure, it's possible that he will be perfectly healthy and return to May 2005 form. But to say that it's an either/or thing seems like a thought based more on heart than head. I hope I'm wrong. I'd LOVE to see Pods swiping bases at will and running amuck and constantly being in scoring position for the heart of the order. But if you asked me to bet a loved one's life on which I think Pods will be next year, I'd go with the Pods we saw last year, a step slower, unable to play long stretches at a high level.

spiffie
12-01-2006, 05:33 PM
We're here............\/
http://www.reformation.org/december-calendar.jpg
Your picture didn't work.

oeo
12-01-2006, 05:35 PM

Who would you have liked them to sign? There was no one out there. Pierre isn't an improvement, Matthews had a career year and will never match that again, Roberts is like 50, and Soriano only went for an 8-year contract worth $136 mil. The Dodgers will regret Pierre, the Angels will really regret ever signing Matthews, and the Flubs will be regretting their decision in a couple of years.

Pods can put up the same numbers as a Pierre, Matthews, or Roberts...at a cheaper pricetag. So you'd rather they would have just went out and spent money for someone that isn't going to do a much better job, when we can get Pods for cheaper? This makes no sense.

oeo
12-01-2006, 05:41 PM
The problem is that you're assuming his dropoff from after the first half of 2005 is some sort of random thing, like he flipped a coin and suddenly became "Bad Pods" for the next 220 or so games.

It is more likely he will be bad Pods due to the fact that he is a speed guy who has suffered a major injury that impacts the only thing he does better than average. Sure, it's possible that he will be perfectly healthy and return to May 2005 form. But to say that it's an either/or thing seems like a thought based more on heart than head. I hope I'm wrong. I'd LOVE to see Pods swiping bases at will and running amuck and constantly being in scoring position for the heart of the order. But if you asked me to bet a loved one's life on which I think Pods will be next year, I'd go with the Pods we saw last year, a step slower, unable to play long stretches at a high level.

I'm not saying that he will be good, I only said that he can be good. I'm going to wait until next year before I say that he has actually lost a step. It's quite possible that due to his surgery, he could not do his normal activities during the offseason to keep in shape. I mean, the guy didn't even have a Spring Training. From all reports, he's a hard worker, and I'm sure he will bust ass this offseason so he can come back at 100%.

This is the same thing with Freddy...it's probably true that he's lost velocity for good, but it's also possible that due to the postseason and the WBC, his arm was just too fatigued.

samram
12-01-2006, 05:42 PM

Ok, but he hasn't shown any ability to overcome the injury and that injury affects his only real skill. That's why the chances of getting either the good or bad Pods aren't equal. He adds nothing else to the team. If he tears up the basepaths this season, that would be great, but I would bet against it.

JB98
12-01-2006, 05:44 PM
THANK YOU!

Basically it seems like any hope for improvement is all being put in the basket of trading either Freddy or Javier. And the groundwork is being laid for that not to happen either with the talk about not trading any starter and how they won't hesitate to send McCarthy to Charlotte next year to keep him starting if need be. At this point I think one has to conclude it is a reasonable possibility that the exact same team, with the exceptions of David Aardsma and Chris Stewart replacing Neal Cotts and Sandy Alomar (and the returns of Boone Logan and Sean Tracey), will be coming back for 2007. I know some people would be very happy about that. After all, they were supposed to win it all in 2006, so surely 2007 should work out just fine, right?

Here's the thing: We're only committed to Podsednik for one more year. If he blows again in 2007, Sweeney/Fields/Owens should be ready to take the job in 2008. We can fill the position from within a year from now, without committing a ****load of money toward mediocre, aging players like Pierre and Roberts. Bringing back Pods doesn't necessarily make us better in 2007, but it gives us payroll flexibility for the long term.

I still think we're going to see a starting pitcher dealt for a relief pitcher and an upgrade at either CF and SS. It's too early in the offseason to assume we're going to back to battle with the same cast we had in 2006.

oeo
12-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Ok, but he hasn't shown any ability to overcome the injury and that injury affects his only real skill. That's why the chances of getting either the good or bad Pods aren't equal. He adds nothing else to the team. If he tears up the basepaths this season, that would be great, but I would bet against it.

Again, let's wait and see if he is permanently slower. He didn't have much of an offseason to keep his legs in shape, and pretty much no Spring Training. IMO, he doesn't need to be the basestealer he was, as long as he can get on base, he can be driven in. It would be nice for him to have that, and I think it's possible that he can, but I'd much rather he bring up his OBP and steal only 20 bases than steal 80 and return with a .330 OBP.

He needs to get off to a fast start in 2007, though. If he doesn't, he will start pressuring himself and the fans will start pressuring him...which isn't good for anything. If things aren't working, hopefully Kenny can make a deal at midseason.

jsinaiko
12-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Or 29 or whatever he was. At any rate, he's 33 or so now and has lost at least one step. He's toast as far as I'm concerned.

Those who talk about his 2005 stats must mean his first-half of 2005 stats. he did very little in the second half except worry about his groin.

He must hold some sort of record for a leadoff guy striking out.

I've seen all I need to of Pods. Hopefully, this is just the beginning, not the end.

The team has dough. I agree that the free agent market is WAY too dear this year, but there are still a lot of trades to be made and I'm sure KW isn't finished yet.

Anyhow, this guy is not taking anyone to the post season again.

spiffie
12-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Who would you have liked them to sign? There was no one out there. Pierre isn't an improvement, Matthews had a career year and will never match that again, Roberts is like 50, and Soriano only went for an 8-year contract worth $136 mil. The Dodgers will regret Pierre, the Angels will really regret ever signing Matthews, and the Flubs will be regretting their decision in a couple of years.

Pods can put up the same numbers as a Pierre, Matthews, or Roberts...at a cheaper pricetag. So you'd rather they would have just went out and spent money for someone that isn't going to do a much better job, when we can get Pods for cheaper? This makes no sense.
Most of what you said is correct. The problem is that you can say that about every single position. There are no great players waiting to be signed for one year deal at 5mm. You can say about the pen why go sign these guys when surely some of the young pitchers should be able to give you not much worse performance for cheap. Why try to upgrade SS since Uribe gives you 20 HR? The problem is that those minor upgrades are the sort of tweaking that may need to be done for this team to get back to the postseason. I wonder if the time off has made everyone forget the team that we all watched the last few months of 2006, and how absolutely painful it was to watch. I say this because most people seem to be coming to the position that what they want to see happen is the exact same team go out and try it again.

But hey, hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe we'll get Pods 2005, Uribe 2004, Anderson from the minors, and the pitching staff all flashing back to October 2005. That would be wonderful, and I'd be delighted to watch it. Nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong about every fear I have for this team right now.

ondafarm
12-01-2006, 05:56 PM
The other factor here is that having an experienced player in a critical position, and to me lead-off hitter is critical to winning the WS again, is good for the transition to a younger player like Owens. If the two of them split some time and perhaps its Owens in the minors for the first half of the season and then called up in August when Scotty has slowed down, then I see this as good. Pods is a bargain if he can recreate 2005, even if he has half a good season and can help Owens learn to take his spot next year.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Most of what you said is correct. The problem is that you can say that about every single position. There are no great players waiting to be signed for one year deal at 5mm. You can say about the pen why go sign these guys when surely some of the young pitchers should be able to give you not much worse performance for cheap. Why try to upgrade SS since Uribe gives you 20 HR? The problem is that those minor upgrades are the sort of tweaking that may need to be done for this team to get back to the postseason. I wonder if the time off has made everyone forget the team that we all watched the last few months of 2006, and how absolutely painful it was to watch. I say this because most people seem to be coming to the position that what they want to see happen is the exact same team go out and try it again.

But hey, hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe we'll get Pods 2005, Uribe 2004, Anderson from the minors, and the pitching staff all flashing back to October 2005. That would be wonderful, and I'd be delighted to watch it. Nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong about every fear I have for this team right now.You dodged the basic question. Who else were they going to get? People keep clamoring for Somebody Else, but I checked baseball-reference.com and they don't have any listing for Somebody Else.

spiffie
12-01-2006, 06:03 PM
You dodged the basic question. Who else were they going to get? People keep clamoring for Somebody Else, but I checked baseball-reference.com and they don't have any listing for Somebody Else.
The basic question has been answered in 50 other threads in WTS. At some point I would have preferred they bite the bullet and if need be "overpay" for an upgrade. Particularly in the bullpen I would have liked to see it. I feel like right now you have a $90 million dollar team that will be hard pressed to win more than 90 games. If an extra 5 million or so would be what puts the team over the hump, then that's worthwhile spending, even if the contract itself is out of line with what one "should" pay. How much is it worth saving a couple million by giving Boone Logan or Charlie Haeger a job over Justin Speier or Chad Bradford or any of the other top relief guys on the market this year? Is it worth losing maybe only half of the 15-20 games our bullpen gave away last year? When you have a very good team like the Sox do have, I think it's worth paying to make the minor upgrade needed to get those couple extra wins.

oeo
12-01-2006, 06:05 PM
But hey, hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe we'll get Pods 2005, Uribe 2004, Anderson from the minors, and the pitching staff all flashing back to October 2005. That would be wonderful, and I'd be delighted to watch it. Nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong about every fear I have for this team right now.

Name one team that doesn't have question marks. We really have no idea what to expect. Last year, we thought we were going in with no question marks, and off to another championship...and we all know how that turned out. Kenny takes risks, and this is just another example of that. If he feels Pods can do the job, I'll trust his word. Pods also has a lot to prove next year, so he needs to be ready to go from day one, and I'm sure he will be.

oeo
12-01-2006, 06:08 PM
The basic question has been answered in 50 other threads in WTS. At some point I would have preferred they bite the bullet and if need be "overpay" for an upgrade. Particularly in the bullpen I would have liked to see it. I feel like right now you have a $90 million dollar team that will be hard pressed to win more than 90 games. If an extra 5 million or so would be what puts the team over the hump, then that's worthwhile spending, even if the contract itself is out of line with what one "should" pay. How much is it worth saving a couple million by giving Boone Logan or Charlie Haeger a job over Justin Speier or Chad Bradford or any of the other top relief guys on the market this year? Is it worth losing maybe only half of the 15-20 games our bullpen gave away last year? When you have a very good team like the Sox do have, I think it's worth paying to make the minor upgrade needed to get those couple extra wins.

And this is where we started...there were no upgrades. They were all lateral moves for a higher price.

As for the bullpen, I still hate the idea of throwing money at relievers. Sometimes they're great, sometimes they're awful. Relievers are getting way too much money for that type of inconsistency.

Frater Perdurabo
12-01-2006, 06:20 PM
I do not believe the Sox would sign Pods just to trade him away, unless there was another deal brewing to acquire a premium leadoff hitter like Ichiro or Furcal. If Pods produces like he did in 2005, the Sox will be fine.

How about Garcia and Uribe to the Dodgers for Furcal to lead off (since they signed Pierre for that role), with Pods moving to #9?

TheOldRoman
12-01-2006, 06:31 PM
THANK YOU!

You are looking at things the wrong way.
Reinsdorf as mad a lot of mistakes in his day, but he has been much better lately. He made good on his word that, when the fans came out, he put the money back into the team. This team had a payroll of nearly $100 million this year, and at very worst, it will be lower by a few million in 07. It isn't like the old evil miser is hoarding the money and putting the Devil Rays out on the field.

This free agent market is horrible, and the insanity of the Cubs and Red Sox got the ball rolling for the most ridiculous offseason ever. Alfonso Soriano and Carloss Lee are not elite players. Jason Schmidt and Barry Zito are no longer elite pitchers. However, the Soriano and Matsuzaka deals drove all prices way up. Now, obviously, elite talent should get more money than lesser talent, but do you really think that when better free agents hit the market next year and after they will be getting $25-30 million a year?
No, the prices will go back down. When talent is less scarce, contracts wont be as high. Why should the Sox throw money at lesser talent? It won't just hurt them this year, it will hurt them in future years when better talent is on the market (possibly cheaper). It is one thing to pay Soriano $18 million for 07, but would it be wise to pay him that much in 4 years? 8 years? Will the oft-injured, 34 year old Dave Roberts be worth $6 million in 09? Hell no. You could argue that those two would be upgrades over Pods, but they wouldn't be worth the pricetag. In getting into the bidding to improve the team marginally this year, you are hurting the team for the next few years.

Should the Sox spend every penny this year? They don't have to. I wouldn't mind them spending it on one year deals for BP and such, but they need to have money to spend in the future. If you are throwing out tens of millions in multi-year contracts for moderate upgrades this year, that is money you won't have to spend two years from now. I wouldn't be furious of the Sox didn't max out the payroll this year so they have more flexibility to improve in the future.

This team is good, and can't be improved much as it is. KW is addressing the bullpen. Our starting pitchers will come back to form, and there are no improvements over them in the market, anyway. If our rotation in 06 performed even close to 05, and the bullpen was better, we would have popped champagne four more times. We can improve in other areas, and KW is looking at them, but it is not 100% essential. If the rotation and BP are great, can the Sox win in 07 with a mediocre Podsednik? Damn straight. It would be nice to upgrade, but it just isn't there at a reasonable price.

lizard6king6
12-01-2006, 06:33 PM
I havent read all the post but all I can say I am very happy with this move. I think hes awesome on and off the field. I just hope he can get those on the field numbers up. For the price its a great deal!

TheOldRoman
12-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Or 29 or whatever he was. At any rate, he's 33 or so now and has lost at least one step. He's toast as far as I'm concerned.
Give or take 3 years.:rolleyes:
Talk out of your ass much?

fusillirob1983
12-01-2006, 06:42 PM
He must hold some sort of record for a leadoff guy striking out.

Pods didn't play too well last year, but some past leadoff hitters that struck out more frequently than him are Soriano, Granderson, and Corey Patterson.

I don't think he's better than any of them, I'm just saying he doesn't strike out as much as you believe.

I bolded past to reference that Patterson didn't lead off in 2006 and avoid a post informing me of it.

tstrike2000
12-01-2006, 06:44 PM
How about Garcia and Uribe to the Dodgers for Furcal to lead off (since they signed Pierre for that role), with Pods moving to #9?

That might be a little bit of an upgrade. However, if Anderson and Pods are 8, 9 and struggle for any length of time like last season, that's 2 automatic outs. That would still be better than the Uribe, Anderson, Pods trio that was 3 automatic outs for a lot of the season.

jabrch
12-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Next year Vernon Wells is a FA. As much as I hate thinking about next year in December of this year, I'd much rather save our big FA investment for Vernon Wells than blow it on something stupid like spending the same amount of money for about 100 games of JD Drew, blowing it on Soriano's 40/40/40 or spending $16mm per for Carlos Lee.

Pods for one year is not the worst thing in the world.

champagne030
12-01-2006, 06:50 PM
I do not believe the Sox would sign Pods just to trade him away, unless there was another deal brewing to acquire a premium leadoff hitter like Ichiro or Furcal. If Pods produces like he did in 2005, the Sox will be fine.

Of course they're not. There's no market for a piece of **** LF. The Sox would be lucky to receive a low level prospect in return for Pods. The delusions of some that he's a ****ing hot commodity are insane.

TheOldRoman
12-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Of course they're not. There's no market for a piece of **** LF. The Sox would be lucky to receive a low level prospect in return for Pods. The delusions of some that he's a ****ing hot commodity are insane.
Hahaha, I get it. You are a really cool, important person who thinks so highly of himself that he calls peoples pieces of **** because he doesn't like the way they play professional baseball.

:dumbass:

Besides that, if you had followed the free agent market at all this year, you would realize that comprable players are getting three times what we are paying Pods. Your delusions that you have anything intelligent to say are insane.

champagne030
12-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Hahaha, I get it. You are a really cool, important person who thinks so highly of himself that he calls peoples pieces of **** because he doesn't like the way they play professional baseball.

:dumbass:

Besides that, if you had followed the free agent market at all this year, you would realize that comprable players are getting three times what we are paying Pods. Your delusions that you have anything intelligent to say are insane.

Yeah, I'm cool because I point out that Pods is a below average defensive outfielder and leadoff hitter.

No, comparable players are not getting three times what we are paying him.

Frater Perdurabo
12-01-2006, 07:16 PM
That might be a little bit of an upgrade. However, if Anderson and Pods are 8, 9 and struggle for any length of time like last season, that's 2 automatic outs. That would still be better than the Uribe, Anderson, Pods trio that was 3 automatic outs for a lot of the season.

I think Anderson will improve on his own, just because he's wiser and more experienced and still has tremendous talent. Also, pretneding the Garcia + Uribe for Furcal trade I proposed happened, I think Anderson would improve even more not having to hit behind Uribe. I also think that Pods as the #9 hitter would get better pitches to hit because pitchers wouldn't want to walk him to then risk a stolen base while trying to pitch to Furcal, who in turn would see a steady diet of fastballs with Pods on base in front of him.

I think an 8-9-1 of Anderson, Pods and Furcal would generate a ton of RISP for Iguchi, Dye, Thome, PK and Crede to knock home.

jabrch
12-01-2006, 07:20 PM

That's just plain ridiculous.

jabrch
12-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I'm cool because I point out that Pods is a below average defensive outfielder and leadoff hitter.

Actually, they are. Look at his 3 year numbers.

champagne030
12-01-2006, 07:21 PM
That's just plain ridiculous.

How?

12-01-2006, 07:23 PM
It is a 1 year deal folks! Not much to lose here.

Give this guy a break, let time tell if he will be the Pods of 2005 or 2006.

TheOldRoman
12-01-2006, 07:25 PM

1. You didn't "point out" that he was a below average defensive outfielder and leadoff hitter. You called him a piece of ****. That is beyond saying a player isn't good. Calling someone a piece of **** because they don't play baseball up to your standard makes you a blowhard.

2. Pierre is getting $9 million a year, and he is comparable to Podsednik. Dave Roberts is getting $6 mil a year, and when healthy, he is comparable to Podsednik.

champagne030
12-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Actually, they are. Look at his 3 year numbers.

We could argue back and forth offensive numbers all day. You seem to think they're comparable and I think someone else is a step above. Now, defensively - no comparison. One is money with the glove and also plays a far more difficult position in CF. The positive for Pods is the said player is the only player in MLB with a worse OF arm. I don't call them comparable players.

jabrch
12-01-2006, 07:29 PM
How?

He's put up seasons of .290/.351 and .314/.379 with a lot of SBs in his 4 seasons as a starter. How do you not see him having more value than 2.9mm given what Pierre got, what Lugo is going to get, and what Roberts is going to get?

jabrch
12-01-2006, 07:30 PM
We could argue back and forth offensive numbers all day. You seem to think they're comparable and I think someone else is a step above. Now, defensively - no comparison. One is money with the glove and also plays a far more difficult position in CF. The positive for Pods is the said player is the only player in MLB with a worse OF arm. I don't call them comparable players.

Look at the numbers, there is no arguement. They are clearly comparable in many ways. Pierre is a crappy CF. Pods is a crappy LF. There's no way that determines a 6mm salary difference.

champagne030
12-01-2006, 07:30 PM
1. You didn't "point out" that he was a below average defensive outfielder and leadoff hitter. You called him a piece of ****. That is beyond saying a player isn't good. Calling someone a piece of **** because they don't play baseball up to your standard makes you a blowhard.

2. Pierre is getting $9 million a year, and he is comparable to Podsednik. Dave Roberts is getting $6 mil a year, and when healthy, he is comparable to Podsednik.

See my other post. Pierre and Pods are not comparable players.

Sorry for any confusion. I wasn't getting personal with Pods. I usually call a below average players a POS - it has nothing to do with a player personally.

champagne030
12-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Look at the numbers, there is no arguement. They are clearly comparable in many ways. Pierre is a crappy CF. Pods is a crappy LF. There's no way that determines a 6mm salary difference.

Are you out of your mind? Pierre is far, far, far from a crappy CF.

FedEx227
12-01-2006, 07:34 PM

Um. You should considering watching him play CF, he's terrible. CF NEED to have rocket arms, Pierre obviously does not have that. Add that in with his horrible range and you got another CF who dives occassionally and gets rewarded heavily for it.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Are you out of your mind? Pierre is far, far, far from a crappy CF.There's more to playing CF than just catching the ball. When he played in Florida it was a track meet every time a ball was hit to him. You can't be a decent CF if you need a relay to get the ball to second base.

champagne030
12-01-2006, 07:39 PM

I'm not saying I would have paid Pierre that kind of money, but nobody would come close to paying that to Pods. Do you really think that Pods would settle for $3M/year if he or his agent thought they were comparable players? Why wouldn't Pods just go to arbitration and get $5/6M if they are comparable players? Had he taken the Sox to arbitration and they declined he probably would've signed the same type of deal with someone like the Rockies.

champagne030
12-01-2006, 07:40 PM
There's more to playing CF than just catching the ball. When he played in Florida it was a track meet every time a ball was hit to him. You can't be a decent CF if you need a relay to get the ball to second base.

And Pods needs a relay man to get the ball to second.

FedEx227
12-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Do you even know what you're arguing about anymore?

We signed Pods to a one-year deal... that's all. We did not pencil him into the lineup card for 162 games yet, we haven't even broke for spring training.

Also, he's not great, plain and simple, but I do agree hes comparable to Pierre/Roberts, using the money argument is completely irrelevant with this offseason because teams have thrown money to players obviously not deserving.

So no other teams had interest in Podsednik thats fine... its about the same amount of interest other teams had in Bobby Jenks. Because the Yankees or Orioles don't covet a guy doesn't make him ineffective. For the price we're paying, we got a bargain, we can hopefully focus on either finding a equal money trade for him or to helping out some other positions. Pods is a mediocre player, there's no doubt about that, but he's shown flashes of being great which is exactly what Roberts/Pierre have to offer, only Pods comes at a fraction of the price and without much risk involved.

And Pods needs a relay man to get the ball to second.
We know. And that makes Pierre a great CFers...HOW? By comparison? Nobody said Pods was a good outfielder.

jabrch
12-01-2006, 07:44 PM

You must not see him much. He has the worst CF arm in baseball. He doesn't have incredible lateral range despite his speed, and he has to play middle-deep to get back on balls, so lots of balls drop in front of him. He really is a bad CF.

In any case, the marginal difference even between an above average CF, if he were that, doesn't begin to cover the difference between 2.9mm and 9mm.

jabrch
12-01-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm not saying I would have paid Pierre that kind of money, but nobody would come close to paying that to Pods. Do you really think that Pods would settle for $3M/year if he or his agent thought they were comparable players? Why wouldn't Pods just go to arbitration and get $5/6M if they are comparable players? Had he taken the Sox to arbitration and they declined he probably would've signed the same type of deal with someone like the Rockies.

Because you don't get paid in your second year of arbitration based on what FAs are making. You get paid based on what other 2nd year arbitration players who performed like you do. Scott is getting paid for last year. That has nothing to do with his value, or with who he compares to. That's how the MLB payscale works.

If Podsednik was a FA this year, he'd be getting the same type of money that Lofton/Roberts get, and possibly more.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Because you don't get paid in your second year of arbitration based on what FAs are making. You get paid based on what other 2nd year arbitration players who performed like you do. Scott is getting paid for last year. That has nothing to do with his value, or with who he compares to. That's how the MLB payscale works.

If Podsednik was a FA this year, he'd be getting the same type of money that Lofton/Roberts get, and possibly more.But....Pierre had 200 hits!!!:redneck

champagne030
12-01-2006, 07:54 PM

If Podsednik was a FA this year, he'd be getting the same type of money that Lofton/Roberts get, and possibly more.

I thought you got paid on what other players with the same amount of MLB experience were being paid?

jabrch
12-01-2006, 07:59 PM
I thought you got paid on what other players with the same amount of MLB experience were being paid?

A 2nd year arbitration player will get paid based on other second year arbitration players make. But his VALUE is much higher than his salary if you compare him to the FA leadoff hitters like Pierre/Roberts/Lofton who will get 2-3 times that, for fairly similar productivity.

Palehose13
12-01-2006, 07:59 PM

:o: I think you might be the one out of your mind.

jsinaiko
12-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Give or take 3 years.:rolleyes:
Talk out of your ass much?

Excuse me? He's lost a step and he's at least 33.

What is it about this guy that reccomends him? His great defense? his clutch hitting? His strike outs? C'mon. get real.

Palehose13
12-01-2006, 08:02 PM

What is it about this guy that reccomends him? His great defense? his clutch hitting? His strike outs? C'mon. get real.

Wrong. Birthdate 3/18/76

He is currently 30.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 08:02 PM

What is it about this guy that reccomends him? His great defense? his clutch hitting? His strike outs? C'mon. get real.If only there was some kind of information superhighway where we could look up his actual age.

jsinaiko
12-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Pods didn't play too well last year, but some past leadoff hitters that struck out more frequently than him are Soriano, Granderson, and Corey Patterson.

I don't think he's better than any of them, I'm just saying he doesn't strike out as much as you believe.

I bolded past to reference that Patterson didn't lead off in 2006 and avoid a post informing me of it.

Soriano had his Ks but he had his dingers too - nobody can fault his production, overpriced though he may be. As for Corey Patterson - who did he lead off for? The Waveland Avenue Mensa Society.

I think Granderson has potential - he needs more discipline. I just think Pods is over the hill. Whatever he was - in 2005 and 2003 - he won't be again. I understand the economics of it, and am not accusing Jerry and KW of being cheap - a complaint that many of us made for many years - but ther are alternatives, including the rumored Figgins deal, or Michael Young from the Rangers. It may be that neither of these guys are available for a price worth paying, but the rumers about deals for them persist. That stuff desn't come from a vaccuum. Someone is putting it out there. I'd rather see Figgins or Young in the 1 hole. And they aren't gonna sign Crede - may as well try to get something for him.

It's the Crede situation that makes me believe that KW is nowhere near finished.

champagne030
12-01-2006, 08:09 PM
:o: I think you might be the one out of your mind.

Well, I stated earlier in this thread that the only OF arm in baseball worse than Pods is Pierre. I absolutely disagree that Pierre gets bad jumps and doesn't track down balls in the gap. Maybe I have lost my mind after watching Pods and Mack botch routine flyball after routine flyball. Pods' defense makes me wish for the days that Fisk played out there.

Palehose13
12-01-2006, 08:10 PM
As for Corey Patterson - who did he lead off for? The Waveland Avenue Mensa Society.

Um, try Baltimore.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Um, try Baltimore.Facts are apparently not his strong suit.

jsinaiko
12-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Wrong. Birthdate 3/18/76

He is currently 30.

How is it that he was a 29-year-old rookie in 2003 then?

Do you believe Contreras stated birth date?

All of which is irrelevant - he's still lost a step, can't field, and is a mope.

Let me put it this way, which lousy fielder would you rather have in left? Pods, or Carlos Lee (as long as we don't have a lead-off hitter)?

jsinaiko
12-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Um, try Baltimore.

He batted SEVENTH for the Birds. Lead-off for the Cubs.

The FACT is, Pods is a bum.

And please can the insults. It's inappropriate and doesn't prove anything. It certainly doesn't advance your argument.

fusillirob1983
12-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Soriano had his Ks but he had his dingers too - nobody can fault his production, overpriced though he may be. As for Corey Patterson - who did he lead off for? The Waveland Avenue Mensa Society.

I think Granderson has potential - he needs more discipline. I just think Pods is over the hill. Whatever he was - in 2005 and 2003 - he won't be again.

In my original post, all I said is that Pods doesn't strike out as much as other leadoff hitters, and then I gave examples.

I'm fully aware of the context of the other players' situations, just pointing out that Pods holds no records for leadoff hitters with strikeouts.

jsinaiko
12-01-2006, 08:25 PM
I was being factious. I am sure there is a lead-off hitter somewhere who K'd more than Pods - Patterson certainly.

jabrch
12-01-2006, 08:33 PM
The FACT is, Pods is a bum.

And please can the insults. It's inappropriate and doesn't prove anything. It certainly doesn't advance your argument.

Pot - meet kettle.

jabrch
12-01-2006, 08:35 PM
I was being factious.

No you weren't.

Palehose13
12-01-2006, 08:39 PM

All of which is irrelevant - he's still lost a step, can't field, and is a mope.

Let me put it this way, which lousy fielder would you rather have in left? Pods, or Carlos Lee (as long as we don't have a lead-off hitter)?

Are you kidding me? Pods was born in the USA. I am sure he didn't forge his birth certificate. Perhaps people were exaggerating a bit when they were saying "30 year old rookie". He was 27 which is pretty old for a rookie.

I would rather have Pods for 3 milion and still be able to afford guys like AJ, PK, etc. instead of CLee for 15 million.

edit: and where do you get off calling him a mope? he is a great guy.

fusillirob1983
12-01-2006, 08:41 PM
I was being factious. I am sure there is a lead-off hitter somewhere who K'd more than Pods - Patterson certainly.

I'm sure there are too. I named them earlier. There may be more.

TheOldRoman
12-01-2006, 08:59 PM

Pods 1000x over. He isn't fat and lazy, and he doesn't have a bad attitude. He isn't selfish, doesn't put up all his stats in garbage time, and, most importantly, ISN'T MAKING $16 MILLION THIS YEAR.

jsinaiko
12-01-2006, 09:44 PM
You miss the point. Nobody here is suggesting that KW should shell out what LA did for Pierre. I happen to like the guy, but not for that kind of dough.

You are right - Pods works hard. he also gets very, very down on himself, to the point where it hurts much more than it helps. He also took his offensive troubles to the poutfield last season - he was a complete butcher. Carlos May was better out there, and that ain't saying much. OK, if it was between Pods and Jorge Orta in LF - if you remember that experiment - I'd take Pods. but let's face it - he was a major liability in the OF, especially considering the fact that the CF was inexperienced - he really didn't help Anderson - a much, much better fielder - at all.

Furthermore, he had an truly awful OBA for a lead-off guy, and didn't use whatever speed he may have left to much advantage.

I understand that these are just my (and Ozzie's andmost baseball types) opinions. But they are legit.

The fact that KW signed him for a lousy year, at 2.9, and used the signing to complain about the price of everyone else out there could be considered damning with faint praise.

Honestly, I was never in love with the deal to begin with. I know that Ozzie couldn't stand Lee, and we needed a lead-off guy, but even with Pods "speed" we were very much a station-to-station team last season, and it cost us. We looked - and this isn't just my opinion - more like the thumping 2004 team than the 2005 WS champs. Lotta power, decent pitching, but no speed and lousy fundamental play. And sorry to say, Pods was a major contributor to the bad fundamentals.

So yeah, I'm not pleased to see him back. I considered him a liability in 06. The inconsistency he's shown his entire short MLB career, plus his age - 30, 33, whatever - doesn't indicate that he'll be back. If he has a April to July of 2005 type season in 2007 I'll be happy to eat my words, but no matter how decent a human being he may be, I wouldn't bet the farm that he's gonna do anything to help in 07.

munchman33
12-01-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm fine with this. $3 million is the going market rate for a backup outfielder.

Now lets go get our starter.

fusillirob1983
12-01-2006, 10:00 PM
You miss the point. Nobody here is suggesting that KW should shell out what LA did for Pierre. I happen to like the guy, but not for that kind of dough.

You are right - Pods works hard. he also gets very, very down on himself, to the point where it hurts much more than it helps. He also took his offensive troubles to the poutfield last season - he was a complete butcher. Carlos May was better out there, and that ain't saying much. OK, if it was between Pods and Jorge Orta in LF - if you remember that experiment - I'd take Pods. but let's face it - he was a major liability in the OF, especially considering the fact that the CF was inexperienced - he really didn't help Anderson - a much, much better fielder - at all.

Furthermore, he had an truly awful OBA for a lead-off guy, and didn't use whatever speed he may have left to much advantage.

I understand that these are just my (and Ozzie's andmost baseball types) opinions. But they are legit.

The fact that KW signed him for a lousy year, at 2.9, and used the signing to complain about the price of everyone else out there could be considered damning with faint praise.

Honestly, I was never in love with the deal to begin with. I know that Ozzie couldn't stand Lee, and we needed a lead-off guy, but even with Pods "speed" we were very much a station-to-station team last season, and it cost us. We looked - and this isn't just my opinion - more like the thumping 2004 team than the 2005 WS champs. Lotta power, decent pitching, but no speed and lousy fundamental play. And sorry to say, Pods was a major contributor to the bad fundamentals.

So yeah, I'm not pleased to see him back. I considered him a liability in 06. The inconsistency he's shown his entire short MLB career, plus his age - 30, 33, whatever - doesn't indicate that he'll be back. If he has a April to July of 2005 type season in 2007 I'll be happy to eat my words, but no matter how decent a human being he may be, I wouldn't bet the farm that he's gonna do anything to help in 07.

I agree that Pods isn't that great. We know, within some range, what we're getting with Pods. We were able to get him for a much lower price than comparable players, for whom you also said you didn't want to dish out a bunch of money. I don't know any other players we could find to lead off and still give us flexibility to possibly upgrade shortstop, the bullpen, maybe pay Crede, etc.

With that said, do you have any alternatives KW could have looked at other than resigning Pods?

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 10:09 PM
I agree that Pods isn't that great. We know, within some range, what we're getting with Pods. We were able to get him for a much lower price than comparable players, for whom you also said you didn't want to dish out a bunch of money. I don't know any other players we could find to lead off and still give us flexibility to possibly upgrade shortstop, the bullpen, maybe pay Crede, etc.

With that said, do you have any alternatives KW could have looked at other than resigning Pods?Everybody's favorite player: Somebody Else. He hits. He bunts. He runs. He's got a rocket arm. What's not to like?

cbotnyse
12-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Everybody's favorite player: Somebody Else. He hits. He bunts. He runs. He's got a rocket arm. What's not to like?allow me to chime in here.....are you talking about Pods in this post? He did all those things in 2005, 2006 not so much. If he is back at the top of the lineup in 2007 I hope he turns it around, big time. We need him.

Brian26
12-01-2006, 10:20 PM
allow me to chime in here.....are you talking about Pods in this post? He did all those things in 2005, 2006 not so much.

Everything except the rocket arm. :D:

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 10:22 PM
allow me to chime in here.....are you talking about Pods in this post? He did all those things in 2005, 2006 not so much. If he is back at the top of the lineup in 2007 I hope he turns it around, big time. We need him.I'm talking about everybody's favorite player. We need to replace Pods with Somebody Else. We need to replace Uribe with Somebody Else.

Funny thing, though. I've searched baseball-reference.com and I can't find a listing for Somebody Else.

cbotnyse
12-01-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm talking about everybody's favorite player. We need to replace Pods with Somebody Else. We need to replace Uribe with Somebody Else.

Funny thing, though. I've searched baseball-reference.com and I can't find a listing for Somebody Else.thats why I stay out of the clubhouse in the offseason. :cool:

CLR01
12-01-2006, 10:32 PM

Excellent contribution.

See ya later. :thumbsup:

slavko
12-01-2006, 11:16 PM

How about Ralph Garr? (Shudder.)

Seriously, he was injured, he didn't have a spring training, he hit a couple of homers in the post-season and got power-happy. All these things can be fixed. He beats the alternatives, at least until Kenny finds a better one.

jsinaiko
12-01-2006, 11:30 PM
It's interesting that you mention "power-hungry."

I think that makes a lot of sense. If you look at his numbers, he did the same thing in 2004 with the Brewers. After having a 2005-type season in 03 to win the Rookie of the Year, and then went for the pump in 04, his numbers took a dive and got traded to the Sox for Lee.

I remember him saying in the Spring of 05 that he wasn't going to make that mistake again, and he didn't in 05.

I still think he's lost a step.

HomeFish
12-01-2006, 11:44 PM
I still think he's lost a step.

Probably.

But apart from that and his other weaknesses, he has the huge advantage of actually existing, of being reality. This is not something that can be said of any other reasonable alternative. Those calling for Podsednik's removal should propose who we bat leadoff instead. And there's no answer to that question except

a) somebody who isn't MLB ready
b) somebody who is not worth the salary they'd command on the FA market; or
c) somebody who cannot realistically be traded for.

cbotnyse
12-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Probably.

But apart from that and his other weaknesses, he has the huge advantage of actually existing, of being reality. This is not something that can be said of any other reasonable alternative. Those calling for Podsednik's removal should propose who we bat leadoff instead. And there's no answer to that question except

c) somebody who cannot realistically be traded for.welcome back:bandance: you sound optimistic as ever. :redneck

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Probably.

c) somebody who cannot realistically be traded for.Sure there is: Somebody Else. And he can pitch, too.

HomeFish
12-01-2006, 11:59 PM
Sure there is: Somebody Else. And he can pitch, too.

Yeah, but he's a Boras client, so forget about it.

DeadMoney
12-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Just a few things I organized that I thought I'd share:
- Pods only had about 2.5 less hits per week then a guy (Pierre) who's making 4.4 million more next year. (Pierre also did happen to have 175 more at bats then Pods, or about 6.5 per week.)
- They had the same OBP last year.
- They are IMO equal liabilities in the OF.
- If Pods can get 21 more hits next year (with last year's amount of at-bats) he would hit .300. That comes out to .78 more hits per week. (Less then 1 hit per week more). Which, when you look at full season stats, you have to realize that 1 hit per week is normally the difference between a .260 and .300 average, which ultimately is the difference between a 3 million dollar contract and a 10 million dollar contract.

If you can not see that Pods is not a bargain at 4.6 million less then Pierre next year (and with much less risk - with a 1 year deal), or wanted to overpay for a lead off hitter in a trade, then I'm not sure what you're looking for. Yes, Pods was frustrating last year, but I could just not understand paying a guy 4.6 million more for example, to get what possibly amounts to only 1-2 more hits per week (even though Pierre had 2.5, which is a relatively high amount, I say 1-2 because of his much higher AB total, and I think Pods will - if fully healthy - get more AB's and play better at the same time).

PalehosePlanet
12-02-2006, 01:45 AM
Despite a bad year last year, Pods could have still gone to arbitration and gotten at least 4 million a year. I think he took 2.9 because he genuinely feels horrible for not contributing/hurting us last year. I think there is a good chance he'll play with a chip on his shoulder again -- even if as a platoon player.

thomas35forever
12-02-2006, 02:01 AM
I guess this puts any talk of who'll be our leftfielder next year to rest. Also, I can't believe Homefish is back.

TheVulture
12-02-2006, 04:27 AM
I don't see why everyone assumes this means the Sox still won't make a trade for a LF. This is KW we're talking about. Signing Pods cheap only strengthens his hand. He won't have to make any desperate moves, but at the same time he still has flexibility if the opportunity arises. I still see a couple big moves, and given Uribe's defensive prowess at a more important position as well as the greater amount of options available to acquire an outfielder, I still wouldn't be surprised to see Pods replaced. Like PH13 said, LF CF and SS are the offensive holes, but LF is the only one of three that is a defensive one as well. I think KW will still be looking to trade a SP for an OF and a RP and probably another move that will shock everyone. You know he likes to make some trades.

TheVulture
12-02-2006, 04:40 AM
"Obviously what this signing says is I support him as our leadoff man and our primary left fielder," General Manager Ken Williams said on a conference call Friday.
I guess I could be mistaken.

Lillian
12-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Aside from all of the things that have been mentioned regarding what kind of reasonable expectations we should have for Pods, do you really that left field is a position that we should try to bolster? It seems to me that we have so many options weith good players on the current roster, that left field should be a very low priority, where trades or free agents are involved.

Even if Pods struggles, what's wrong with giving guys like Mackowiak, or Gload some playing time out there. If Crede is not traded and everyone is healthy, there wouldn't be many other chances for those guys to hit, and they are both pretty decent hitters. As you know by now, I personally think that Gload is a terrific hitter, and I don't buy the idea that he would suddenly fall way off his performance level, if given a chance for more playing time. He does not struggle against lefties, therefore the matchups aren't the reason that he has hit so well in his limited time. You have to consider that his lack of at bats is a handicap, not an advantage. It seems reasonable to me, that he could actually hit better if given a chance to get more at bats, and sharpen his eye, and his timing.

Then there are the two best minor league position players in the organization. What would be so bad about giving Fields, and Sweeney some playing time in left?

Heck, even Pablo might be alright, given a chance to get more comfortable in the outfield. He seemed to have improved his defense out there last year. After all, it is a new position for him.
Terrero is another guy who could be in the mix. He is a genuine 5 tool talent, though he hasn't yet shown much at the Major League level. He had been very highly regarded til last year.

The Pods issue with me is simply whether or not he can be an effective lead off hitter. If not, then we need to replace either one of 3 possible positions with a good leadoff hitter, ie SS, CF or LF.

jabrch
12-02-2006, 09:56 AM
I guess this puts any talk of who'll be our leftfielder next year to rest. Also, I can't believe Homefish is back.

No - LF is still wide open. There are lots of things that can heppen to Pods still, including getting the job, but also including losing the job, platooning, or getting traded. This was his 2nd arbitration year. Signing him to that deal was a no-brainer at that price regardless of what Kenny intends on doing with him.

Part of this is a leverage game. Kenny can't say, "Well, we still really want to dump Pods and get a new LF" because other GMs will know that he's more desperate. If he can upgrade, at a reasonable price, I am sure he will. If not, Pods comes to camp and competees with Sweeney at least, possibly others, for a job.

soxtalker
12-02-2006, 10:11 AM
This is a long thread, and I've read most of it. Lots of good points. In particular, I agree that a) other things can happen, b) Pod's last year may have been poor because of his injury, and c) that this improves KW's bargaining power.

Also, I wonder what KW's famous (3-year?) board looks like. If he's got someone like Sweeney (or one of the other fielder - Owens, maybe even Fields, depending on Crede's situtation) set to make the transition from minors to the big leagues, signing Pods for one year puts him in a position to affect that transition. Someone other than Pods probably requires a longer-term commitment.

TaylorStSox
12-02-2006, 11:26 AM

Here's the thing... You're not an athlete that gets paid to run. So, your experience is completely irrelevant.

Pods sucks. This was a lateral move for a team that really wasn't even as good as their record.

tstrike2000
12-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Pods sucks. This was a lateral move for a team that really wasn't even as good as their record.

I go back and forth. I agree that the Sox would need to "overpay" to get someone of quality caliber for leadoff. However, I'm sick of people saying, "Oh, he's an every other year player, so he could be better in '07" and "I love him and so glad he's back because he won Game 2 of the World Series." We need to look at the here and now. In 4 halves of baseball for us over 2 seasons, he's barely put together 2 good halves. The second half of '06 he was a player who couldn't hit, field, or run with zero confidence. Looking at the past 4 seasons with Milwaukee and the Sox, I have to agree this was a lateral and maybe even a step backward. For an extremely underachieving team in the second half, I still feel we need a better catalyst at the top of the order. Even if it's someone with slightly comparable numbers, we need someone who exudes confidence up at the plate, in crucial situations, in the field, and in the clubhouse.

jabrch
12-02-2006, 12:28 PM

Pods doesn't suck if you look at his numbers over 4 years. He's had two very good seasons.

This was a lateral move - because we kept the same guy. But he had his worst season last year. So if he has an average season for him, or a good season, it's a major improvement.

And can you explain to me why the team wasn't as good as their record? This team was more talented than their record, they just didn't get their pitching to perform to expectations.

jabrch
12-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Would someone in the anti-pods camp please tell me what player has already signed elsewhere who Kenny should have signed and then tell me what deals Kenny is now handcuffed from making because he gave Podsednik 3mm?

Pods at 3mm is a no risk insurance option in case nothing else happens. We should know by now that Kenny is not standing pat, and that he is looking at tons of options. It amazes me that people would bitch in December about a 3mm contract for a worst-case serviceable starting OF who may or may not still have that role, or any role with this team in just a few months.

jsinaiko
12-02-2006, 12:45 PM
In real life seasons don't merge - his numbers show he was good for two seasons and he was lousy for two seasons.

And just because he's done it "every other year" doesn't mean he'll do it in 07 - especially after injuries and the fact that he isn't getting any younger, whether he's 33 or 30 or whatever.

It's nice that folks like the guy - I do too - but that doesn't change the facts on the ground.

Look - KW has his 3 and 5 year plans. Well, he had better be looking a totally revamping the OF, because if he doesn't like what the FAs are asking for this year, baring injury, what does he think Dye will want next year? Do we want two out of thee outfielders to be rookies and/or sophomores in 08 (Anderson, Sweeney, Someone Else)?

Without Dye, the Sox have a really, lousy outfield. As it is, it's tough to win it all when two out of three of your outfielders are mediocre at best.

Hey - maybe Anderson will show what everyone thought he'd show in 06, but don't hold your breath. Maybe Pods will play like he did for ONE-HALF (not a full) season in 05. That's ONE-Half a season - he wasn't so hot from August to October in 05. I'm glad he won a WS game for us. That was over a year ago.

Does any of this mean that KW should have sold the farm for Roberts or Pierre? NO. But we really, really need to hope, as many posters here are, that KW is not through yet.

Next week is a big one. KW has shown that he's good at keeping his cards close to his vest. I don't see Pods as a fourth outfielder, but with his small salary (hey - I'd take it), Pods is good trade-bait. I'm still holding out for Figgins in one deal and Young in another.

OzzyTrain
12-02-2006, 02:09 PM
As my Dad said, the year after Paulie got married he stunk, so maybe Pods will pick it up.

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2006, 02:13 PM
As my Dad said, the year after Paulie got married he stunk, so maybe Pods will pick it up.Did he mention pennies?:redneck

Beer Can Chicken
12-02-2006, 02:22 PM
I've been reading many posts in this thread that say that Pods sucks BUT he is good trade bait. This begs the question...

If he sucks, how in hell is he good trade bait? You know what you get in return for a player that sucks? Another player that sucks.

jsinaiko
12-02-2006, 02:35 PM
I've been reading many posts in this thread that say that Pods sucks BUT he is good trade bait. This begs the question...

If he sucks, how in hell is he good trade bait? You know what you get in return for a player that sucks? Another player that sucks.

We say he sucks - what GM listens to us? It's KW's gig to turn a sows ear into a silk purse - it won't be the first time.

How did the Sox end up with Jorge Bell?

If you listened to SF fans, AJ was the worst catcher since Todd Hundley. And look at the contract the Bees gave to Todd! I rest my case.

jabrch
12-02-2006, 03:38 PM
In real life seasons don't merge - his numbers show he was good for two seasons and he was lousy for two seasons.

And just because he's done it "every other year" doesn't mean he'll do it in 07 - especially after injuries and the fact that he isn't getting any younger, whether he's 33 or 30 or whatever.

It's nice that folks like the guy - I do too - but that doesn't change the facts on the ground.

Look - KW has his 3 and 5 year plans. Well, he had better be looking a totally revamping the OF, because if he doesn't like what the FAs are asking for this year, baring injury, what does he think Dye will want next year? Do we want two out of thee outfielders to be rookies and/or sophomores in 08 (Anderson, Sweeney, Someone Else)?

Without Dye, the Sox have a really, lousy outfield. As it is, it's tough to win it all when two out of three of your outfielders are mediocre at best.

Hey - maybe Anderson will show what everyone thought he'd show in 06, but don't hold your breath. Maybe Pods will play like he did for ONE-HALF (not a full) season in 05. That's ONE-Half a season - he wasn't so hot from August to October in 05. I'm glad he won a WS game for us. That was over a year ago.

Does any of this mean that KW should have sold the farm for Roberts or Pierre? NO. But we really, really need to hope, as many posters here are, that KW is not through yet.

Next week is a big one. KW has shown that he's good at keeping his cards close to his vest. I don't see Pods as a fourth outfielder, but with his small salary (hey - I'd take it), Pods is good trade-bait. I'm still holding out for Figgins in one deal and Young in another.

You must live in a sad sad world...everything seems so dreary to you. This team, as it was, won 90 games last year, with the pitching underperforming and Pods and Anderson not having good years. Freaking relax - it is December. Stop crying about how terrible things are. Nobody cares.

jabrch
12-02-2006, 03:42 PM

Most people aren't saying he sucks. Because...he doesn't. 2 of his past four seasons were awesome seasons. I can list lots of guys who suck - and he's not one of them.

dickallen15
12-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Most people aren't saying he sucks. Because...he doesn't. 2 of his past four seasons were awesome seasons. I can list lots of guys who suck - and he's not one of them.
How in the world can anyone say Pods 2005 season was "awesome". He scored 80 runs and drove in 25. He was caught stealing as many times as he had been caught his 2 years in Milwaukee, combined.

jabrch
12-02-2006, 04:18 PM
How in the world can anyone say Pods 2005 season was "awesome". He scored 80 runs and drove in 25. He was caught stealing as many times as he had been caught his 2 years in Milwaukee, combined.

Are you kidding? .290/.351 with 59 SBS? That's not awesome? Runs? RBI? Those are poor things to measure him by, since they aren't things he directly controls. Even with all those CS, he still had a 72% success rate - that isn't terrible considering the volume of successes he had.

If you don't think his 2005 season was awesome (at a cost of only $700,000), then you are going to be one hard person to please.

Jjav829
12-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Man, a lot of overreaction in this thread. This was a move Kenny had to make. He couldn't risk losing Pods before having a capable replacement on the roster. This signing in no way prevents us from finding another leadoff hitter. It's a relatively cheap deal. If we find a better leadoff hitter, there would be some other teams who wouldn't mind trading for Pods.

I doubt anyone would say they wouldn't rather have someone better than Pods, but that is easier said than done. There aren't a lot of really good leadoff hitters out there. The teams that have those who do the job extremely well aren't exactly jumping to trade them.

Look at the free agent market and find someone who makes more sense.
- Soriano - Ha. Yeah, right...
- Dave Roberts. Probably will have a better year in 07 than Pods. But $3 million and 2 more guaranteed years better? Nope.
- Juan Pierre - Similiar player. A little more consistent and you know he'll always be on the field. But worth $9 million for 5 years? Not a chance.
- Kenny Lofton, Julio Lugo or Shannon Stewart? None of the 3 really make much sense. Lofton and Stewart aren't good bets to make it through a full season and Lugo will likely be overpaid like every other player this offseason.

As for the trade market, it would be hard to find a match there. Reyes, Ramirez, Rollins, Damon and Sizemore aren't going anywhere. The same can probably be said for Furcal, Roberts and Lopez. Ichiro might be available at the trade deadline, but he certainly doesn't seem to be on the block right now. Crawford could possibly be had right now, but it's going to take a lot.

The realistic alternatives just aren't much better. It makes sense to hold onto Podsednik for now and let things develop. If something better comes along, and it makes sense, I'm sure Kenny wouldn't hesitate to improve the position.

mccoydp
12-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Pods will be fine, as long as his podsgroin and podshernia are no longer a factor. :cool:

jabrch
12-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Great post JJAV. That was exactly the case. There is no better available player to us this year, at this point. This deal doesn't preclude us from anything else. Pods would be easy to move if something better comes, or he can be the 4th OF at only 3mm. Kenny had no chioice - and this deal is all upside for us if he performs as he did in 2005 or 2003.

dickallen15
12-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Are you kidding? .290/.351 with 59 SBS? That's not awesome? Runs? RBI? Those are poor things to measure him by, since they aren't things he directly controls. Even with all those CS, he still had a 72% success rate - that isn't terrible considering the volume of successes he had.

If you don't think his 2005 season was awesome (at a cost of only $700,000), then you are going to be one hard person to please.
Considering the major league OBP was .335 in 2005, I hardly think .351 is "awesome" especially when you consider many times he got on base, he got himself out. I can't believe RBIs aren't something he controls at least somewhat. The guy was hitless with the bases loaded in 2005 with 1 RBI. He got it with a walk. I just don't understand how that season could be considered "awesome", and the season before when he scored more runs, drove in more runs, stole more bases, and was thrown out a lot less could be considered terrible or at least poor. Podsednik's 2005 season is truely one of the most overrrated in baseball history.

dickallen15
12-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Pods has a career OBP of .342. The major league OBP during his career is .339. This means Pods gets on base 3 times more than the average player per 1000 plate appearances. Considering pitchers bat in the NL, his OBP is most likely below the major league average for non pitchers. Considering how many times he gets CS and picked off,(I'm fully aware some of the times he gets picked off does count as a CS, but not all), has no power, does not drive in many runs, and is a poor defender, he is a below average major league baseball player, and not a quality lead off hitter. Therefore he should be paid accordingly.

jsinaiko
12-02-2006, 04:48 PM
You must live in a sad sad world...everything seems so dreary to you. This team, as it was, won 90 games last year, with the pitching underperforming and Pods and Anderson not having good years. Freaking relax - it is December. Stop crying about how terrible things are. Nobody cares.

I live in a happy world - the REAL world - not Cubsworld, where every player on the team is great by default, because he happens to be a Killer Cubbie.

I just don't happen to think very highly of Pods - it's a legit opinion, shared by others, and backed up by the numbers, so excuse me for breathing! :smile:

Many of the posts here have convinced me that KW did have to do this, for the sake (hopefully) of a later trade or as a fail-safe move if nothing develops. Doesn't mean I have to be in love with the guy.

Please don't get me wrong - I don't think he's a clubhouse cancer, I'm sure he's a decent human being, he has a lovely Playboy Playmate wife, and the girls love him.

I just think that the Sox will have a much better chance of beating Detroit and Cleveland, not to say the diminished Twinkies with a better left fielder and a better lead-off guy.

The vitriol that has come out of some these posts is amazing. You'd think I was calling Luke Appling an injury prone complainer and bum!

Nobody is "crying about how terrible things are." Lighten up and learn how to debate without putting words into outer people's mouths please.

jsinaiko
12-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Pods has a career OBP of .342. The major league OBP during his career is .339. This means Pods gets on base 3 times more than the average player per 1000 plate appearances. Considering pitchers bat in the NL, his OBP is most likely below the major league average for non pitchers. Considering how many times he gets CS and picked off,(I'm fully aware some of the times he gets picked off does count as a CS, but not all), has no power, does not drive in many runs, and is a poor defender, he is a below average major league baseball player, and not a quality lead off hitter. Therefore he should be paid accordingly.

Very well put. I suppose he COULD have a good year in 07. It's the OBA that really tells the story. We can argue whether his steals are crucial or not, but the fact is, he just doesn't get on base enough to be the sort of quality leadoff man we want.

champagne030
12-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Great post JJAV. That was exactly the case. There is no better available player to us this year, at this point. This deal doesn't preclude us from anything else. Pods would be easy to move if something better comes, or he can be the 4th OF at only 3mm. Kenny had no chioice - and this deal is all upside for us if he performs as he did in 2005 or 2003.

Maybe part of my problem is that Kenny got put into this box. I agree Pierre, Roberts, ect are all receiving way too much money. They're a step up from Pods, but it would be wrong to sign them for the years they're getting. It just sucks that Kenny is in this box where FA options are getting crazy money and we don't have an alternative ready from the minors.

No, this deal doesn't preclude us from doing anything else, but it just sucks if we don't get another leadoff hitter that we'll have a below average leadoff hitter and a bad fielding LF.

Pods would be an absolute terrible 4th OF. He can only play LF and is a bad defensive player.

Sure Pods would be easy to move. So is anyone....pay part of their salary or take nothing in return. I'm curious as to what type of 1 for 1 talent you think we could receive for Pods in a trade.

jsinaiko
12-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Sure Pods would be easy to move. So is anyone....pay part of their salary or take nothing in return. I'm curious as to what type of 1 for 1 talent you think we could receive for Pods in a trade.

I see him as a throw-in in one of the deals. Give him to LA along with Garcia and Crede for Figgins and Santana AND a highly-rated prospect or two.

I still trust KW. You know that Pods was in Ozzie's doghouse for most of the 2nd half last year, so he's well aware of any doubts other members of the brain trust may have.

Bucky F. Dent
12-02-2006, 05:39 PM
I hope this does not mean the chance at Carl Crawford has passed.

QCIASOXFAN
12-02-2006, 05:42 PM
I think it may have IMO. You never know with Kenny though, he likes to get crazy.

soxinem1
12-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Remember that dropping him from leadoff to ninth in the order would give him roughly 150 fewer plate appearances, dropping his opportunities for SB (although oddly increasing his RBI opportunities.)

Link to source (http://www.actasports.com/sows.php)

True, but Lance Johnson was a great lower order hitter for some time with the White Sox. And Lance was not a huge OBP or BB guy either. Could work.

Frontman
12-02-2006, 06:37 PM
I see him as a throw-in in one of the deals. Give him to LA along with Garcia and Crede for Figgins and Santana AND a highly-rated prospect or two.

I still trust KW. You know that Pods was in Ozzie's doghouse for most of the 2nd half last year, so he's well aware of any doubts other members of the brain trust may have.

I thought that Garcia/Crede for Figgins/Santana deal was rumor mill only, and was squashed this week by KW.

KW can't trade both Crede and Pods! Who's left to bring the women to the ballpark to swoon over?!?!??!

:wink:

PaleHoseGeorge
12-02-2006, 06:43 PM
The realistic alternatives just aren't much better. It makes sense to hold onto Podsednik for now and let things develop. If something better comes along, and it makes sense, I'm sure Kenny wouldn't hesitate to improve the position.

Exactly. And the price was right, too. If something better should become available, either this winter or even next summer, KW figures to have what is necessary in trade bait and/or cash to get the job done. Meanwhile the Sox *need* Podsednik because there aren't any suitable alternatives available to put into his 2007 season plans.

jsinaiko
12-02-2006, 08:06 PM
I thought that Garcia/Crede for Figgins/Santana deal was rumor mill only, and was squashed this week by KW.

KW can't trade both Crede and Pods! Who's left to bring the women to the ballpark to swoon over?!?!??!

:wink:

Maybe they'll like Fields and Sweeney.

I wasn't aware that KW quashed the Figgins deal talk.

Even if he did, he's not going to announce what he's working on or has in mind. It'll happen (or won't) next week.

jabrch
12-02-2006, 08:36 PM

If it does, then that opportunity never existed anyhow. But with the GMs meetings in Orlando just about to start, I'd be completely stunned if Carl Crawford is off the table for discussions. He's one of the big trade pieces that Tampa has to improve their team. They could hold us up for a pretty strong package if they want to move Crawford.

jabrch
12-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Considering the major league OBP was .335 in 2005, I hardly think .351 is "awesome" especially when you consider many times he got on base, he got himself

Fine - you don't think .290/.351 with 50 SBs is awesome. Who would you have wanted leading off in 2005 who cost 700K or less, who was available to this team? How many extra bases do you plan on getting per season from their larger OBP?

munchman33
12-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Why not sign Shannon Stewart and have him and Pods battle all year for playing time? Keep the hot stick in the game. No slumps from the leadoff position.

jabrch
12-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Why not sign Shannon Stewart and have him and Pods battle all year for playing time? Keep the hot stick in the game. No slumps from the leadoff position.

He's always hurt. I'd really rather not give him any sort of money. If we were going to spend 3mm for Pods to platoon with Stewart for about 6mm, I'd have rather seen us just give the damn 10mm to Pierre or Matthews Jr. I don't think that Stewart helps us much at this point in his career. The walks are nice - but not enough to make it worth the cost and the injuries.

tomgordon1
12-03-2006, 12:32 AM
It's too late. Pods is gonna be in left field for the whole year, no one would be battling him. Now, it's up to center field. I don't think sticking a rookie there, such as Sweeney, or keep Anderson, will help us go to the playoffs next year. I'm shocked that Kenny isn't trying to pursue Rowand. All the fans want him back and he wants to come back. Having Pods, Rowand, and Dye in the outfield would be amazing. But according to Kenny, he's confident with the squad right now. And if that turns out to be a failure, then it's his problem when the fans complain about not making any moves. He may have something up his sleeve but we can't count on it.

jabrch
12-03-2006, 12:46 AM
I'm shocked that Kenny isn't trying to pursue Rowand. All the fans want him back and he wants to come back.

He's not good. .280/.330/.445 is not anything we should be looking for.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-03-2006, 12:52 AM
It's too late. Pods is gonna be in left field for the whole year, no one would be battling him. Now, it's up to center field. I don't think sticking a rookie there, such as Sweeney, or keep Anderson, will help us go to the playoffs next year. I'm shocked that Kenny isn't trying to pursue Rowand. All the fans want him back and he wants to come back. Having Pods, Rowand, and Dye in the outfield would be amazing. But according to Kenny, he's confident with the squad right now. And if that turns out to be a failure, then it's his problem when the fans complain about not making any moves. He may have something up his sleeve but we can't count on it.

Rowand is an overrated offensive player. And for the googleplex time he is not coming back.

Bucky F. Dent
12-03-2006, 07:54 AM
If it does, then that opportunity never existed anyhow. But with the GMs meetings in Orlando just about to start, I'd be completely stunned if Carl Crawford is off the table for discussions. He's one of the big trade pieces that Tampa has to improve their team. They could hold us up for a pretty strong package if they want to move Crawford.

Given the weakness of our outfield/lead off combo, it seems to me that we need to be prepared to offer that package.

jabrch
12-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Given the weakness of our outfield/lead off combo, it seems to me that we need to be prepared to offer that package.

That package might be something like McCarthy and Fields. I'm not sure KW would give up two guys who project to be starters for one guy. He might - and I personally hope he does, but Kenny's goal is to keep this team a contender for every season, not to just mortgage the future for one season.

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2006, 10:14 AM
I'd rather go after Baldelli than Crawford, considering the players needed to pull off such a deal. But I don't see a good match between the two teams, seeing as they're both dealing from a position of strength and will be stubborn.