PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Alderson rips cubs

veeter
12-01-2006, 09:10 AM
In Paul Sullivan's article today, he quoted Padres CEO Alderson on the Soriano contract, "I don't know what justifies that contract, other than a lousy won-loss record over the last several years." I'm sure he speaks for any cost conscious owner or G.M. It's nice to know that cub loathing is expanding from Sox fans, to a national group. When this spending spree fails, IMO Hendry will be regarded as one of the worst G.M.'s in Chicago history.

Madvora
12-01-2006, 09:57 AM
When this spending spree fails
I love it. Right you are

Flight #24
12-01-2006, 10:13 AM
"I don't know what justifies that contract, other than a lousy won-loss record over the last several years."

In that case, shouldn't the Cubs be fielding a Yankees x 2 payroll?

veeter
12-01-2006, 11:29 AM
As flubsessed as this sounds, I hope the ramifications are, that teams want nothing to do with the cubs in any trade talks. Punish them for a few years for this irresponsible action. Not that the cubs have anything to trade.

infohawk
12-01-2006, 11:39 AM
If they don't get any pitching this offseason, they are going to look even more foolish. Their biggest problem is that they don't have any reliable, experienced starters beyond Zambrano. I'm sure they are counting on the free agent market to provide them with arms. The way the price of even mediocre starters is escalating, I don't know if the Cubs will be able to make a splash in the pitching department. Imagine shelling out all that money for Soriano, overspending for DeRosa and giving Ramirez that huge contract, but leaving your club devoid of solid pitching. All you end up with is a loser with huge money tied up in a small handful of players. They are in the position where they might as well literally break the bank because they HAVE to get some decent pitching into their rotation. In a way, it would be like protecting their investment in Soriano and, to a lesser extent, Ramirez. If you're going to spend your way to winning, you've got to follow through.

Hangar18
12-01-2006, 11:41 AM
In Paul Sullivan's article today, he quoted Padres CEO Alderson on the Soriano contract, "I don't know what justifies that contract, other than a lousy won-loss record over the last several years." I'm sure he speaks for any cost conscious owner or G.M. It's nice to know that cub loathing is expanding from Sox fans, to a national group. When this spending spree fails, IMO Hendry will be regarded as one of the worst G.M.'s in Chicago history.

Heh heh. We were just talking about this the other day werent we?
Like I said before (and was ripped for it), a very large contingent of MLB owners are very upset at the Lovable Losers right now ..... for driving up the Free Agent Market this offseason. Carlos Lee can thank Jim Hendry for the extra money hes getting from the Astros.

Hangar18
12-01-2006, 11:43 AM
As flubsessed as this sounds, I hope the ramifications are, that teams want nothing to do with the cubs in any trade talks. Punish them for a few years for this irresponsible action. Not that the cubs have anything to trade.

I like your forward thinking here. You can bet some owners arent going to be as "helpful" to that team in the near future. GOOD.

SABRSox
12-01-2006, 11:56 AM
I like your forward thinking here. You can bet some owners arent going to be as "helpful" to that team in the near future. GOOD.

I actually think that teams will be more inclined to trade with the Cubs, considering they've got a guy who prefers coaching veterans, know the Cubs don't care about adding contracts, and have prospects being blocked by said veterans.

I'm thinking that Murton or Pie could be had pretty cheap at the moment.

The Immigrant
12-01-2006, 12:12 PM
I actually think that teams will be more inclined to trade with the Cubs, considering they've got a guy who prefers coaching veterans, know the Cubs don't care about adding contracts, and have prospects being blocked by said veterans.

I'm thinking that Murton or Pie could be had pretty cheap at the moment.

I agree with you. The Cubs are like a drunken sailor spending on shore leave, and if they are desperate to fill holes other teams will be all too happy to take advantage.

Three pitching prospects for a year of Juan Pierre? Sold!

NonetheLoaiza
12-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Jim Hendry = Steve Phillips.

Fenway
12-01-2006, 01:25 PM
The Cubs are doing the exact same thing John Harrington did with the Red Sox before the team was sold. Harrington ordered Duquette to spend whatever he had to ( turned out to be Manny ) to win at all cost in 2001 and inflate the value of the team.

You think for a moment the Tribune cares about Soriano's contract in 2 or 3 years? That is going to be the new owners problem.

Steelrod
12-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Link?

veeter
12-01-2006, 03:07 PM
I don't know how to do that stuff. It was in today's trib.

oeo
12-01-2006, 03:12 PM
The Cubs are doing the exact same thing John Harrington did with the Red Sox before the team was sold. Harrington ordered Duquette to spend whatever he had to ( turned out to be Manny ) to win at all cost in 2001 and inflate the value of the team.

You think for a moment the Tribune cares about Soriano's contract in 2 or 3 years? That is going to be the new owners problem.

It's not just the Tribune and a new owner that it effects, though. They've inflated the whole free agent market. There cannot be many happy teams with the Flubs right now. They did the same thing last year with Howry and Eyre, and now relievers cost an arm and a leg. There's no way the Sox re-sign Dye next year (or Crede in a couple years) after what outfielders are going for now. Just another reason to hate that team, I guess.

Beautox
12-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Alderson said, "Even the sale wouldn't justify it. If anyone's interested in the Cubs, they are buying a brand. They aren't buying the composition of specific players on the field. The Cubs are a brand, like the Red Sox or Yankees. link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_heyman/11/29/wednesday/2.html)

veeter
12-01-2006, 03:30 PM
link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_heyman/11/29/wednesday/2.html)Thanks Beautox.

Steelrod
12-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Baseball owners and teams are at the mercy of their dumbest competitor. Any financial move effects all players above or below them when it comes to comparing salaries to signing players or arbitration. Free agency is not supposed to count but it does!

Trav
12-02-2006, 12:11 AM
People trade with the Blue Jays after what they did last year. People trade with the Yankees and BoSox after what they do every year. Teams overpay, especially when they have more money than brains or if they have to. Like Toronto has to. It seems like every year the market gets driven up by someone and this year it's Hendry. Why would they treat him different than they have any idiot GM?

How Hendry still has a job is beyond me. The only surprise bigger than that is their pitching coach was retained.

Hitmen77
12-02-2006, 12:22 AM
I agree with you. The Cubs are like a drunken sailor spending on shore leave, and if they are desperate to fill holes other teams will be all too happy to take advantage.

Three pitching prospects for a year of Juan Pierre? Sold!

Yeah, but they got a 66-win season for his services.

Domeshot17
12-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Its just the way its going to be. You want the top Free Agents on the market, you are going to have to pay a major premium. Who would thought moving to the OF would be the best thing Soriano could have done. He went from a subpar 2b to a pretty good defensive OF (with a cannon for an arm). He isnt worth half of his contract, but it did help him.

The only way things will ever change is if a Salary Cap was to be put in place, which will never be agreed on by the mlbpa.

Kenny has done well with adding the middle tier guys at good value, but eventually we are either going to have to start paying some big bucks, or hope our minor league system goes from one of the worst in producing pro players to one of the best.

DumpJerry
12-02-2006, 02:49 PM

Cotts for Aardsma.

Mark my words.