PDA

View Full Version : Sammy will catch McGriff

34rancher
03-07-2002, 12:03 AM
Check this out. Can this be true? I was always under the impression that Ruth was the all-time strikeout leader....
By the end of this season, the Cubs could have two of the top ten all time strikeout leaders.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/alltime/leaders?breakdown=2&type=0&sort=11&year=0

cheeses_h_rice
03-07-2002, 12:11 AM
Looks like it won't take too much for them to get there...59 for McGriff and 67 for Sham-ME. Heck, they can probably do it before the All-Star break.

34rancher
03-07-2002, 12:13 AM
I also saw that Delino Deshields is in the top 20 caught stealing players all time. Yeah, they are going to win it all with them.

CLR01
03-07-2002, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by 34rancher
Check this out. Can this be true? I was always under the impression that Ruth was the all-time strikeout leader....
By the end of this season, the Cubs could have two of the top ten all time strikeout leaders.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/alltime/leaders?breakdown=2&type=0&sort=11&year=0

I've got $500 that says he pops out of the dugout and waves to the fans when he does it.

MattSharp
03-07-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by 34rancher
I was always under the impression that Ruth was the all-time strikeout leader....

Why do people always think this? I don't mean to single you out because everyone I know thinks this...

Ruth is 61st on the list. He did lead the majors 4 times in his career. But consider this....

Pitching was better back then and hitters weren't as good. Also Rtuh NEVER struck out more than 93 times in one year.

Sammy Sosa: 9 times
Mark McGwire: 10 times

But Barry Bonds: ONCE......

I just thought that was amazing.

But NO Babe Ruth is not in the Top 50 in all time Ks...

DrCrawdad
03-07-2002, 12:13 PM
Add to that the Cubbie have . . .

Alex Gonzalez at SS who whiffed 149 times last year and has 758 career SO's.

Todd Hundley at Catcher. He's a terrible catcher. Hundley whiffed 89 times last year and has 895 career SO's.

If I had the time I'd like to see how the Cubs compare with other teams as far as SO's.

Lisa
03-07-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
I've got $500 that says he pops out of the dugout and waves to the fans when he does it.

*****!

duke of dorwood
03-07-2002, 03:28 PM
:walk

Wait til they see MY heat

34rancher
03-07-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

Why do people always think this? I don't mean to single you out because everyone I know thinks this...

Ruth is 61st on the list. He did lead the majors 4 times in his career. But consider this....

Pitching was better back then and hitters weren't as good. Also Rtuh NEVER struck out more than 93 times in one year.

Sammy Sosa: 9 times
Mark McGwire: 10 times

But Barry Bonds: ONCE......

I just thought that was amazing.

But NO Babe Ruth is not in the Top 50 in all time Ks...

No prob. I think I heard it somewhere, but a myth is just that until proven true or false. When I found this, that is what I thought so strange. One of those "Did you Know's" That I did not.

34rancher
03-07-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by CLR01

Tell you what I have $500 that says he thumps his chest, blows kisses, grabs a bottle, and proclaims it official Sammy "I am the Greatest, not Verry Vonds" Sosa day!

doublem23
03-07-2002, 07:15 PM
I also like seeing Frank at #257 on the list... :smile:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/alltime/leaders?sort=11&year=0&breakdown=2&type=0&page=6

guillen4life13
03-07-2002, 09:18 PM
idk. back then, did they throw as much breaking stuff, and trick pitches as they do now? they must be much harder to make contact on, thus probably making the strikeout rate even higher. and now, they throw faster. nowadays, you have knuckleballs, screwballs, split-fingered f-balls, curveballs, and palmballs, among others. they all have weird movement that makes it harder to hit. imo, it's probably easier to strike out now, so babe ruth would probably be right up there if he were a hitter now.

Daver
03-07-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
idk. back then, did they throw as much breaking stuff, and trick pitches as they do now? they must be much harder to make contact on, thus probably making the strikeout rate even higher. and now, they throw faster. nowadays, you have knuckleballs, screwballs, split-fingered f-balls, curveballs, and palmballs, among others. they all have weird movement that makes it harder to hit. imo, it's probably easier to strike out now, so babe ruth would probably be right up there if he were a hitter now.

I doubt that,in fact I highly doubt it,in Ruth's day the strike zone was the numbers to the knees,and the mound was higher,though the strike zone has never "officially" changed,it is not called the way it should be nowadays.Greg Maddux would have a huge ERA if he pitched in the 20's,because they did not call the "phantom" corners that he relies on for strikes.

Cheryl
03-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

Well, there was the spitball/shineball/other foreign substance ball. It was banned in '20 (?) but certain veteran pitchers were allowed to continue to use it until they retired.