PDA

View Full Version : Lugo offered by Cubs?

caulfield12
12-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Crasnick: Cubs Make Offer To Lugo

A rumor from yesterday that I neglected to mention: ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reported that the Cubs have made Julio Lugo a multi-year offer.
We all know how Lou Piniella loves Lugo, and that he'd be willing to play center field now that the market for shortstops is shrinking. Today's Chicago newspapers - the Tribune, Sun-Times, Daily Herald, and Southtown - made no mention of an offer to Lugo.

from mlbtraderumors.com

Any interest in Emil Brown for the White Sox in LF?

Any interest in Lugo?

Apparently, they want Soriano in LF and Lugo for CF...

oeo
12-01-2006, 02:10 AM

A rumor from yesterday that I neglected to mention: ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reported that the Cubs have made Julio Lugo a multi-year offer.
We all know how Lou Piniella loves Lugo, and that he'd be willing to play center field now that the market for shortstops is shrinking. Today's Chicago newspapers - the Tribune, Sun-Times, Daily Herald, and Southtown - made no mention of an offer to Lugo.

from mlbtraderumors.com

Any interest in Lugo?

Put those two together with Jones, and that could, quite possibly, be the worst defensive outfield ever. That should be very interesting to say the least.

I'm going to be rolling on the floor laughing when they don't make the playoffs this year after spending a ****load of money.

FedEx227
12-01-2006, 02:21 AM
Put those two together with Jones, and that could, quite possibly, be the worst defensive outfield ever. That should be very interesting to say the least.

I'm going to be rolling on the floor laughing when they don't make the playoffs this year after spending a ****load of money.

you're obviously forgetting rule #1 of baseball success

Dingers >>>>>>>>>> Defense and pitching

itsnotrequired
12-01-2006, 08:17 AM

from mlbtraderumors.com

Any interest in Lugo?

I stopped reading after I saw those words...

jenn2080
12-01-2006, 08:38 AM

I think they passed a **** load of money years ago when they kept Wood and Prior.

russ99
12-01-2006, 10:13 AM
I think they passed a **** load of money years ago when they kept Wood and Prior.

Lugo is nowhere near the kind of player the media is making him out to be, or the salary he's sure to command in this psycho free-agent cashout.

The Scrubs can have him.

WizardsofOzzie
12-01-2006, 10:44 AM

Dear god, do they really think they can just sign anyone and put him where they have to fill a hole? Next thing you hear, they are going to be trotting Manny to SS and move Soriano to catcher to make room for Pie

champagne030
12-01-2006, 11:03 AM

from mlbtraderumors.com

Any interest in Lugo?

I'm still trying to figure out which OF defense, from LF to RF, is worse: Murton, Alf and Jones or Alf, Lugo and Jones. Either way, their guy botching plays in CF means that Mack is no longer the worst defensive CF in the history of baseball. :mg:

Hangar18
12-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Lugo is nowhere near the kind of player the media is making him out to be, or the salary he's sure to command in this psycho free-agent cashout.

You hit the nail on the head right there my friend.
Suddenly, I've heard more about Julio Lugo and how fantastic he can be, than ever. Wonder why that is?

SABRSox
12-01-2006, 11:53 AM
You hit the nail on the head right there my friend.
Suddenly, I've heard more about Julio Lugo and how fantastic he can be, than ever. Wonder why that is?

That could be a number of things, and the fact the Cubs are owned by the Tribune is just a small one of those things. All of that is besides the fact that when he's healthy (and motivated), he's a pretty damn good hitter.

palehozenychicty
12-01-2006, 12:14 PM
That could be a number of things, and the fact the Cubs are owned by the Tribune is just a small one of those things. All of that is besides the fact that when he's healthy (and motivated), he's a pretty damn good hitter.

But he plays shortstop and can't catch the ball. Useless. Give me Uribe over Lugo.

SABRSox
12-01-2006, 12:15 PM
But he plays shortstop and can't catch the ball. Useless. Give me Uribe over Lugo.

I never said he could field. That's always been the knock against him. But the Cubs have made it clear that pitching and defense is not a priority.

dickallen15
12-01-2006, 06:16 PM
The Cubs have had success with wife beaters in the past, I actually heard several weeks ago the White Sox were interested in Lugo to play CF. The Sox haven't had much luck with wife beaters though.

downstairs
12-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Shhhhhhh. Don't tell sweet Lou and the Cubbies that Lugo isn't a pitcher!

Tekijawa
12-03-2006, 04:21 PM

With the pitching staff the Cubs have you won't need outfielders, you'll just have to be sure that the fans throw all the home runs back so that you don't have to spend 10's of millions of dollars a year more on all the balls hit out to Waveland...

Fenway
12-04-2006, 11:34 AM
more Lugo rumors

From the Globe's Gordon Edes: The chatter among the early arrivals at the winter meetings in Orlando was that the Red Sox are in the best position to sign free agent Julio Lugo. The Mets like him as a second baseman, the Cubs considered him as a center fielder, and the Dodgers offered him salary arbitration, but indications are Lugo would prefer to play short and bat leadoff for the Red Sox. He will come at a premium, however. Outfielders Gary Matthews (five years, $50 million) and Juan Pierre (5 years, $44 million) are both leadoff men, and may have set the market for Lugo, who is believed to be looking for a contract in the four-year, $40 million range.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/thebuzz/