PDA

View Full Version : Backup catcher thread

A. Cavatica
12-01-2006, 01:06 AM
If not Stewart, who?

Doug Mirabelli is available. I think the Sox might go after him because of the likelihood of Charlie Haeger making the team; Mirabelli's had success catching. And, as a righthanded bat with some power, he would be a good partner to Pierzynski. I'd certainly prefer him to Alomar.

caulfield12
12-01-2006, 01:52 AM
David Ross
Josh Bard
Chris Coste
Mike Napoli (part of an Angels' deal?)
Gerald Laird
Mike Lieberthal (doubtful because of contract)
Mike Rivera
Chris Snyder
Tood Greene

oeo
12-01-2006, 02:16 AM
If not Stewart, who?

Doug Mirabelli is available. I think the Sox might go after him because of the likelihood of Charlie Haeger making the team; Mirabelli's had success catching. And, as a righthanded bat with some power, he would be a good partner to Pierzynski. I'd certainly prefer him to Alomar.

If Haeger is coming out of the bullpen, AJ has to learn to catch the knuckleball. Even if Mirabelli were to come here, it would be stupid to sub out AJ for Mirabelli in the 6th or 7th inning because Haeger is coming in for a couple of innings.

crazyozzie02
12-01-2006, 02:59 AM
If not Stewart, who?

How many times do we have to go over this. He would cost too much money and thus is worthless to the sox

KRS1
12-01-2006, 04:10 AM
I have no problem with Stewart making the club. I want first and foremost, a good defensive catcher when Im looking at backups, he fits that bill and then some. Next I look at how a guy calls games. I dotn know that much about his play as Ive only seen him a handful of times, but judging from the pitchers numbers who have been around him, Id say he has a good idea how to do that. Im sure he has picked up a lot from AJ and the coaches, as he is supposed to be a very cerebral player, and there's no reason for me to think he wont continue to learn and adjust quickly.

Im not saying Im against us picking up a vet who has defensive savvy, but just pointing out why I think Chris isnt as bad an option as most think. Ive always liked Ross' catch and throw ability, but I dont know much about the others listed catching D.

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-01-2006, 07:22 AM
How many times do we have to go over this. He would cost too much money and thus is worthless to the sox
Everyone nowdays cost too much.:mad:

The Immigrant
12-01-2006, 08:48 AM
Get Gerald Laird so he can stop killing us. :tongue:

Crede_Fan
12-01-2006, 08:52 AM

But think of who we could get for him midseason when Boston wants him again!!!!

:redneck

SABRSox
12-01-2006, 12:08 PM
It should be Stewart. Cheap, nice glove, great arm. I can live with the weak hitting, as he'll only be catching every fifth day. Considering the price of relief pitching, Kenny needs to focus whatever free dollars he has toward that.

Chicken Dinner
12-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Any Molina's out there?

SABRSox
12-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Any Molina's out there?

Bengie. He'll cost too much though, and would never accept a backup position.

The Immigrant
12-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Bengie. He'll cost too much though, and would never accept a backup position.

Plus, the idea of adding Molina to a lineup already featuring Konerko, Thome and Crede just might make us the slowest team in recent memory.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Plus, the idea of adding Molina to a lineup already featuring Konerko, Thome and Crede just might make us the slowest team EVER.

Fixed it for ya

CashMan
12-01-2006, 12:41 PM

About a month ago, I said he will cost about 5mill. Why would you want to pay for a backup catcher just to catch Haegar?

Lip Man 1
12-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Personally I'd try to get Rod Barajas.

Lip

Beautox
12-01-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm pro Molina, Stewart wont hit his weight(205) at the ML level, but he does have a very good glove and arm. Molina could be used in more than just a back up catcher capacity, hes a two time GGer. Quasi platoon him with AJ and Thome, and we solve our problem against LHP, he hit .358 against them. Hes also a very clutch hitter(yes i believe such a thing exists) and he handles pitching staffs very well, hes prolly looking at a deal similar to Zaun. Also hes just a nice bat to have come off the bench and he gives us a very good insurance policy if AJP goes down.

thedudeabides
12-01-2006, 02:38 PM

Lip

I'm on your team.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-01-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm pro Molina, Stewart wont hit his weight(205) at the ML level, but he does have a very good glove and arm. Molina could be used in more than just a back up catcher capacity, hes a two time GGer. Quasi platoon him with AJ and Thome, and we solve our problem against LHP, he hit .358 against them. Hes also a very clutch hitter(yes i believe such a thing exists) and he handles pitching staffs very well, hes prolly looking at a deal similar to Zaun. Also hes just a nice bat to have come off the bench and he gives us a very good insurance policy if AJP goes down.

There will be no platooning of Thome no matter how bad he sucks against LHP didn't happen last year my guess is it probabaly will not happen this year. Molina WILL not accept a back up role or platoon situation. Therefore unless we acquire a catcher via trade Chris Stewart will be our B/U backstop.

the gooch
12-01-2006, 02:52 PM
But in games that Molina is DH, we cannot pinch run for AJ because there is no backup. If AJ goes down when Padilla hits him a few more times, the Sox could be in trouble.

I agree that the Sox need to get some guys that can hit lefties, but if Molina is an option that also splits time at DH, wouldn't Stewart still have to be on the team?

Beautox
12-01-2006, 03:05 PM
But in games that Molina is DH, we cannot pinch run for AJ because there is no backup. If AJ goes down when Padilla hits him a few more times, the Sox could be in trouble.

I agree that the Sox need to get some guys that can hit lefties, but if Molina is an option that also splits time at DH, wouldn't Stewart still have to be on the team?

lol @ Padilla

but seriously, the white sox faced more LHP than any other team in MLB, its an area that needs to be addressed, and say AJP goes down all season do you want to have Stewart as our everyday back stop? maybe we will be able to coax Sandy out of retirement (oh wait hes not retired?)

Stewart doesn't hit LHP well(.244), if he did i would be all for him and no he wouldn't have to be on the team, you would still be putting one of AJP or Jim in the line up, just getting production against lhp from one of their spots would be a huge upgrade.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Even if Stewart was to make the team as the back-up catcher, the minor leagues, especially the Knights, has no major league ready catching talent. There still needs to be a catcher signing either to a major league deal or minor league deal.

Pierzynski 12
12-01-2006, 04:37 PM
As long as Sandy Alomar isn't the backup catcher, i'm good.:wink:

SABRSox
12-01-2006, 04:59 PM

Lip

Barajas hit .156 against lefties last year. And he's going to get paid more than he's worth. Pass.

There just aren't any good options out there. It'll either be Stewart or Sandy. Hopefully Stewart.

Lip Man 1
12-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Sabr:

I'd get Barajas for his defense which supposedly is pretty good.

Lip

guillen4life13
12-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Some reporter mentioned Damian Miller from the Brewers. Don't remember who, otherwise I'd link it.

Daver
12-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Sabr:

I'd get Barajas for his defense which supposedly is pretty good.

Lip

So is Chris Stewart's, and he makes the league minimum.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 07:37 PM
So is Chris Stewart's, and he makes the league minimum.You follow the minors more than I do. When I saw him throw to 2B in September he got rid of the ball faster than anyone I've ever seen. Was that a fluke or can he do that every time?

Daver
12-01-2006, 07:45 PM
You follow the minors more than I do. When I saw him throw to 2B in September he got rid of the ball faster than anyone I've ever seen. Was that a fluke or can he do that every time?

He's consistent, but you will get an occaisional airball, you get that from A.J. now anyway. The biggest problem with Stewart will be the fact that Cooper will have to call a lot of the pitches, Chris will have to learn to relay signals quickly.

SABRSox
12-01-2006, 09:55 PM
He's consistent, but you will get an occaisional airball, you get that from A.J. now anyway. The biggest problem with Stewart will be the fact that Cooper will have to call a lot of the pitches, Chris will have to learn to relay signals quickly.

Do you think that's something he could pick up as a season progressed, though? If he's sitting next to Coop during games, talking to AJ, and if the Sox keep Sandy around in some sort of coaching capacity, I think he'd have a wealth of information to draw from.

Trav
12-01-2006, 10:05 PM
I think it is important to groom a young catcher so I'm all for bringing up this Stewart kid. The fact that everyone is in agreement that he is above average defensively makes his case that much stronger. I don't think that a solid catcher has to hit well, especially when you have a powerfull 3-4-5 in the lineup. As long as he can move a runner over, I'm happy. What I'm worried about it if AJ goes down, what happens? Getting a catcher externally will be pricey in terms of either money or talent it seems and will only get worse once the season starts.

Daver, how is Sterwart's lack of calling a game different from AJ's lack of calling a game? I'm pretty sure you are the one who said that AJ doesn't call the games that he catches, right?

Daver
12-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Do you think that's something he could pick up as a season progressed, though? If he's sitting next to Coop during games, talking to AJ, and if the Sox keep Sandy around in some sort of coaching capacity, I think he'd have a wealth of information to draw from.

I think it is important to groom a young catcher so I'm all for bringing up this Stewart kid. The fact that everyone is in agreement that he is above average defensively makes his case that much stronger. I don't think that a solid catcher has to hit well, especially when you have a powerfull 3-4-5 in the lineup. As long as he can move a runner over, I'm happy. What I'm worried about it if AJ goes down, what happens? Getting a catcher externally will be pricey in terms of either money or talent it seems and will only get worse once the season starts.

Daver, how is Sterwart's lack of calling a game different from AJ's lack of calling a game? I'm pretty sure you are the one who said that AJ doesn't call the games that he catches, right?

Combined answer.

Chris would pick up calling pitches as he got to know the staff, and know the hitters, he is going into this blind.

AJ calls pitches, there is a big difference between calling pitches and calling games, very few catchers call games anymore, the last one to do it for the Sox was Carlton Fisk.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Combined answer.

Chris would pick up calling pitches as he got to know the staff, and know the hitters, he is going into this blind.

AJ calls pitches, there is a big difference between calling pitches and calling games, very few catchers call games anymore, the last one to do it for the Sox was Carlton Fisk.If the Sox had a very young staff it would be a different situation, but with the veteran staff they have, Stewart won't have to worry about managing pitchers. He can just concentrate on his own game. He's not that much of a hitter, but neither was Widger.

1951Campbell
12-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Mirabelli?

Haeger's probably gonna come out of the pen, right? I can see Mirabelli being Wakefield's caddy--that was a good role for him in Boston. But you don't sign a caddy just for a knuckler coming out of the bullpen. Just a waste.

Daver
12-01-2006, 11:12 PM
If the Sox had a very young staff it would be a different situation, but with the veteran staff they have, Stewart won't have to worry about managing pitchers. He can just concentrate on his own game. He's not that much of a hitter, but neither was Widger.

Calling pitches is not really managing pitchers, that is part of it, but it is more knowing the hitters tendencies, and using that as to the situation, EG; if there is a runner on first and two outs, and the catcher knows the batter is a first pitch swinger, call for a breaking ball away, it accomplishes two things, it freezes the baserunner, as well as giving the hitter a chance to swing at a bad pitch, or it prompts the runner to attempt to steal, and a chance to throw him out running.

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Calling pitches is not really managing pitchers, that is part of it, but it is more knowing the hitters tendencies, and using that as to the situation, EG; if there is a runner on first and two outs, and the catcher knows the batter is a first pitch swinger, call for a breaking ball away, it accomplishes two things, it freezes the baserunner, as well as giving the hitter a chance to swing at a bad pitch, or it prompts the runner to attempt to steal, and a chance to throw him out running.Right. But pitches can be called from the dugout. What I was referring to was if the Sox had a young staff, they might be better off with a gnarly old catcher instead, and Stewart might not be such a good choice. But with a veteran staff, a young catcher can learn from them.

Trav
12-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Combined answer.

AJ calls pitches, there is a big difference between calling pitches and calling games, very few catchers call games anymore, the last one to do it for the Sox was Carlton Fisk.

That's a good point and a difference I should have realized a long time ago. I guess I thought of the two aspects of catching as the same.

Daver
12-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Right. But pitches can be called from the dugout. What I was referring to was if the Sox had a young staff, they might be better off with a gnarly old catcher instead, and Stewart might not be such a good choice. But with a veteran staff, a young catcher can learn from them.

I don't know what a catcher can learn from a pitcher, feel free to enlighten me.

ondafarm
12-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Gotta agree with Daver here. ((Note to self: That's not a bad strategy even without the catching thread.)) (I digress.) Managing a pitching staff is about a lot more than calling pitches. Sure that's important. I once heard that catching is one part being a cheerleader, one part confessor, one part teacher, one part DI, and at least one part psycholgist. There were pitchers I babied, there were pitchers I bullied, but most of them I did both to, quite regularly. When the manager came out we had a signal to each other to play good cop bad cop, although for the first few weeks we sometimes took over each other's lines. All of that is learnt and major league pitchers are even more resistant than any minor league kid.

That was the biggest problem I had was Josh Paul, he was pretty much clueless about managing pitchers.

Jerome
12-02-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm all for bringing up Stewart but I really really hope he doesn't completely suck like BA did at the plate for his first few months, because we rode AJ very heavily last year, I don't think Ozzie wants to play him in as many games as he did last year. (He might want to, but I don't think it's the smartest thing to do).

Sox Fan 35
12-02-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm all for bringing up Stewart but I really really hope he doesn't completely suck like BA did at the plate for his first few months, because we rode AJ very heavily last year, I don't think Ozzie wants to play him in as many games as he did last year. (He might want to, but I don't think it's the smartest thing to do).

You don't need much hitting from your back-up. I would rather give Stewart the job than overpay for a free agent.

Brian26
12-02-2006, 08:58 PM
I don't know what a catcher can learn from a pitcher, feel free to enlighten me.

:osuna :XL
"What to order at Taco Burrito King."

WhiteSox5187
12-03-2006, 06:03 AM
I played catcher in high school and i hit .310. I hearby recommend myself as the Sox back up catcher.:D: :bandance:

maurice
12-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Stewart has an excellent arm. He does occasionally let a pitch get by him, though.

FWIW, he called pitches in Charlotte, though I can understand if Coop doesn't trust him to do it in MLB . . . at least not right away.

FWIW #2, Stewart did not usually catch Haeger at Charlotte.

FWIW #3, he will very likely "suck at the plate" if he's in MLB in 2007.

Dick Allen
12-04-2006, 02:53 PM
In his Sunday column, Phil Rogers mentioned Damian Miller as a possibility since the Brewers just traded for a catcher. May not be a bad option if the price is right.

santo=dorf
12-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Get Jose Molina.

Signed for one more year for around $1.3 million, with the exception of last season he hits LHP pretty well, has a great arm and can throw out base runners, pretty good handling the staff, but my primary concern is his conditioning. He could be a stop gap for Chris Stewart for next season.

Mathis and Napoli are pushing him out the doors and the Angels might release him in Spring Training.