PDA

View Full Version : The Super Duper Chone Figgins Maxi-Thread

bigredrudy
11-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Is it possible to acquire Mr. Figgins without giving up Joe Crede? I really like the lineup with Figgins and Podsednik at the top and Iguchi at the bottom. Thiw would satisfy Ozzie's desire to have more speed

SABRSox
11-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Is it possible to acquire Mr. Figgins without giving up Joe Crede? I really like the lineup with Figgins and Podsednik at the top and Iguchi at the bottom. Thiw would satisfy Ozzie's desire to have more speed

Most likely not. The Angels will want a 3B in return, and it will have to be either Crede or Fields. With the Angels signing Matthews Jr., Figgins will be their third basemen unless they acquire another player for that spot.

mjmcend
11-30-2006, 07:52 PM

And it would also satisfy some people's desire to have have two ****ty hitters at the top of the lineup.

chisoxmike
11-30-2006, 07:58 PM

This is now...what...the 4th thread on this? :dunno:

Chips
11-30-2006, 08:00 PM
And it would also satisfy some people's desire to have have two ****ty hitters at the top of the lineup.

****ty hitters are excellent. :redneck:

This is now...what...the 4th thread on this? :dunno:

Something like that. :rolleyes:

JohnTucker0814
11-30-2006, 08:27 PM
So if we keep Pods and get Figgins where does he play? Does figgins play the all important 10th fielder, short right?

EMachine10
11-30-2006, 08:34 PM
i still don't see why everyone likes figgins so much. i'm not all that impressed, and quite frankly, i wouldn't really want him over anyone on our team. he wasn't all that great last year

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-30-2006, 08:35 PM
So if we keep Pods and get Figgins where does he play? Does figgins play the all important 10th fielder, short right?
He can play CF, even though his arm is more of a noodle than the noodles that come from CampBells Chicken Noodle soup:redneck

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-30-2006, 08:36 PM
i still don't see why everyone likes figgins so much. i'm not all that impressed, and quite frankly, i wouldn't really want him over anyone on our team. he wasn't all that great last year
He was coming off a down season, but yeah, i wholeheartedly agree with you.

The Dude
11-30-2006, 09:29 PM

Mr. Figgins prefers you to address him as Sir Figgins.

Having Chone and Pods back to back = this scenerio each game.

:DJ
"Well here comes big Jim Thome up to bat once again with 2 outs and no one on base."

:hawk
*clenches fists tightly and punches the wall*

samram
11-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Mr. Figgins prefers you to address him as Sir Figgins.

Having Chone and Pods back to back = this scenerio each game.

:DJ
"Well here comes big Jim Thome up to bat once again with 2 outs and no one on base."

:hawk
*clenches fists tightly and punches the wall*

:D: Well played.

Ol' No. 2
11-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Maybe in addition to Chone we can get Jhonny Peralta. That's a two player start toward a whole team that can't spell their own name. Who am I missing?

A. Cavatica
11-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Maybe in addition to Chone we can get Jhonny Peralta. That's a two player start toward a whole team that can't spell their own name. Who am I missing?

Torii

getonbckthr
11-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Well we have Vazquez or is it Vasquez

Ol' No. 2
11-30-2006, 11:45 PM
ToriiToo bad Shawon Dunston is retired.

spiffie
11-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Freddy Guzman

JohnTucker0814
12-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Why not trade for Figgins... hear me out...

We are not trading Crede for Figgins straight up it would have to be Garcia and Crede for Figgins and Santana...

We all talk about pitching is the key! We would basically be getting a 23 yr old ace in the making at a very cheap price. Add McCarthy to that and you have 2 very cheap good pitchers for at least 2-3 yrs at that price. Plug Fields in at 3b and Figgins in LF at Leadoff (we lose nothing at lead off because him a Pods are pretty similar, however Chone may not have a SB slump like Pods) We lose some offense with Fields for Crede at first but we don't need offense with Konerko, Thome, Dye...

We then still have 6 pitchers so we can turn around Vazquez to the Mets for Pelfrey. We have now stocked our pitching with another young ace in the making.

In '08 we are going to lose Buehrle so Pelfrey can move in as our #5 starter:

'07 Rotation:
1. Contreras
2. Buehrle
3. Garland
4. Santana
5. McCarthy

'08 Rotation
1. Contreras
2. Garland
3. Santana
4. McCarthy
5. Pelfrey

What's wrong with this option?

Craig Grebeck
12-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Figgins sucks and there's plenty of threads...

kittle42
12-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Yes! Another Chone Figgins thread!

Sox Fan 35
12-01-2006, 11:43 AM

I really don't see the Mets giving us Pelfrey for Vazquez.

jabrch
12-01-2006, 04:03 PM
We just signed a guy (Podsednik) who is almost every bit as good a player as Chone Figgins, except he is only a bad defensive player at one spot rather than 5 spots. I see no reason to give up a key piece to our team for such a small change.

chisoxmike
12-01-2006, 04:07 PM

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:
:putitontheboard

:searchfirst:

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Figgins?? What a great idea. I wonder why no one's thought of that one before?

EMachine10
12-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Figgins is no better than anybody on our team, IMO. An argument can be made that he plays multiple positions, but he does not play any of those positions better than any of our players, plus we have figgins and his name is rob mackowiak...just a tad slower, but still the same purpose

chisoxmike
12-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Figgins sucks and there's plenty of threads...

Yes, he does, and yes there are...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81777

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81647

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81486

:supernana:

eriqjaffe
12-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Somebody should start a thread about sending Joe Crede out to pick up some Fig Newtons just for the sake of a bit of variety.

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Figgins?? What a great idea. I wonder why no one's thought of that one before?
I don't think Figgin's isn't his sole intention on getting. The main intention here is getting Ervin Santana; I guess he's trying to imply a 2 player sway (Crede-Garcia, Figs-Santana).

I don't why anyone has thought of this before either! Pure Genius!:D:

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Somebody should start a thread about sending Joe Crede out to pick up some Fig Newtons just for the sake of a bit of variety.

Don't they make a variety of Fig Newton's or is it all the same bar?

spawn
12-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Why not trade for Figgins... hear me out...

We are not trading Crede for Figgins straight up it would have to be Garcia and Crede for Figgins and Santana...

KW has already stated (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061129&content_id=1747758&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) he's not trading Crede. And besides...as has already been stated, Figgins isn't worth it anyway.

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-01-2006, 05:06 PM
KW has already stated (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061129&content_id=1747758&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) he's not trading Crede. And besides...as has already been stated, Figgins isn't worth it anyway.
KW never said that. KW stated that he (himself) wasn't going to wheel and deal him. However, he did say that he will, indeed, listen to offers brought forth to him. Their is a significant difference. Also, I too agree that Fig's is just simply not worth it.

champagne030
12-01-2006, 05:16 PM
I really don't see the Mets giving us Pelfrey for Vazquez.

A person on the board thinks the Mets will give us Pelfrey and Milledge for Javy. :rolleyes:

JohnTucker0814
12-01-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm not saying I want figgins straight up for anyone.. but if the Angels INSIST we take Figgins to get Santana... so be it! I'd love to see Santana here if that means to give up Crede. Face the facts, Crede is eligible for Arb this year and next then will be getting paid big dollars. Why not use him to get a 23 yr old (same age as McCarthy but with 2 yrs of SP experience)! Plus we have Fields waiting in the wings to take over, maybe use Figgins and Fields as a platoon at 3b?

My main point was to get Santana no matter what it takes to get him. We only have 1 yr left of Garcia.

Daver
12-01-2006, 06:14 PM
I'm not saying I want figgins straight up for anyone.. but if the Angels INSIST we take Figgins to get Santana... so be it! I'd love to see Santana here if that means to give up Crede. Face the facts, Crede is eligible for Arb this year and next then will be getting paid big dollars. Why not use him to get a 23 yr old (same age as McCarthy but with 2 yrs of SP experience)! Plus we have Fields waiting in the wings to take over, maybe use Figgins and Fields as a platoon at 3b?

My main point was to get Santana no matter what it takes to get him. We only have 1 yr left of Garcia.

Neither Feilds nor Figgins is even half the defensive player Joe Crede is, combined, you are gaining little on the field as far as starting pitching, Santana for Garcia is a gain in age only, and losing a great defensive ballplayer that has a respectable bat. Can you explain to me how you make a trade that makes your team weaker and expect to contend?

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Neither Feilds nor Figgins is even half the defensive player Joe Crede is, combined, you are gaining little on the field as far as starting pitching, Santana for Garcia is a gain in age only, and losing a great defensive ballplayer that has a respectable bat. Can you explain to me how you make a trade that makes your team weaker and expect to contend?
I don't agree with you on this. Age is a big factor when it comes to pitching. Freddy Garcia seems to me as if he is losing velocity on his fastball (before the end of the season). Also, what the hell is with this "big-game" rubbish that Garcia claims to have? It makes me pissed off more and more everytime this is mentioned. Every time a pitcher goes to the mound it should be considered a "big game". A mentality of such shouldn't be tolerated in a ballclub.Ervin Santana, on the other end, is 24, and has a whole career to look forward to. Posting a 4.28 ERA is quite impressive when you are only 24, and that, my friend, puts you a lot closer towards contention than a surplus of big bats (which we have a lot). The sox won a world seriese without Crede's "2006" bat, and i bet we can do the same again. Pitching wins world series (most of the time), not 3B all-stars. Now, I know you are going to counter reply with a lost bat, but man, whats more important: A lost bat, or a 24 year old pitcher with a bright future?

Chisox003
12-01-2006, 07:27 PM
I don't agree with you on this. Age is a big factor when it comes to pitching. Freddy Garcia seems to me as if he is losing velocity on his fastball (before the end of the season). Also, what the hell is with this "big-game" rubbish that Garcia claims to have? It makes me pissed off more and more everytime this is mentioned. Every time a pitcher goes to the mound it should be considered a "big game". A mentality of such shouldn't be tolerated in a ballclub.Ervin Santana, on the other end, is 24, and has a whole career to look forward to. Posting a 4.28 ERA is quite impressive when you are only 24, and that, my friend, puts you a lot closer towards contention than a surplus of big bats (which we have a lot). The sox won a world seriese without Crede's "2006" bat, and i bet we can do the same again. Pitching wins world series (most of the time), not 3B all-stars. Now, I know you are going to counter reply with a lost bat, but man, whats more important: A lost bat, or a 24 year old pitcher with a bright future?
What? Did you read his post?

It's Crede's glove that makes him valuable. How many third baseman in baseball can play defense like Joe? Not many. How many third baseman in baseball can play defense like Joe AND hit like Joe? Few, if any at all.

If you have good pitching but nobody behind them to catch the ball, where does that leave you? Not very good, that's for sure.

Daver
12-01-2006, 07:51 PM

Re-watch the 2005 World Series, and you tell me who the MVP was.

The Sox do not win in four without Joe Crede's glove, AND his bat.

Palehose13
12-01-2006, 07:52 PM

Damn skippy.

caulfield12
12-01-2006, 11:47 PM
The numbers game. Finally, here's a surprising comparison. The diminutive Figgins might be as productive a hitter as Crede, using his speed to offset limited power. Figgins had 146 runs produced (runs scored plus RBIs minus home runs) last season to Crede's 140. He scored 17 more runs while hitting 21 fewer home runs. Plus, Crede hit into 18 double plays, while Figgins hit into six.

from chicagosports.com (phil rogers)

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-02-2006, 07:21 AM

What about Credes bad back? We aren't living in the past here. The man has a bad back, and the sox need to dump some money to losen up the payroll a bit. Now, I'm not saying Joe's the only option, but what would you do.

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-02-2006, 07:27 AM
What? Did you read his post?

It's Crede's glove that makes him valuable. How many third baseman in baseball can play defense like Joe? Not many. How many third baseman in baseball can play defense like Joe AND hit like Joe? Few, if any at all.

If you have good pitching but nobody behind them to catch the ball, where does that leave you? Not very good, that's for sure.

It's not like it's some guy with no hand eye coordination behind the mound. Whoever is playing 3B has some form of talent. However, I'm not insisting on throwing Ozuna out their to play 3b ( a train wreck), but if it comes down to it, im sure Josh Fields can play defense NEAR that of Crede's. I know this is far off, but did you see the last game of the year, when Josh made that play on a bunt? He took a read on it, charged it and sidearmed it to first base. I thought that was pretty impressive.

Cuck the Fubs
12-02-2006, 07:28 AM
What about Credes bad back? We aren't living in the past here. The man has a bad back, and the sox need to dump some money to losen up the payroll a bit. Now, I'm not saying Joe's the only option, but what would you do.

I would keep Joe and get Mr. Fields ready.....Chone Figgins is no Joe Crede

jabrch
12-02-2006, 09:00 AM
The numbers game. Finally, here's a surprising comparison. The diminutive Figgins might be as productive a hitter as Crede, using his speed to offset limited power. Figgins had 146 runs produced (runs scored plus RBIs minus home runs) last season to Crede's 140. He scored 17 more runs while hitting 21 fewer home runs. Plus, Crede hit into 18 double plays, while Figgins hit into six.

from chicagosports.com (phil rogers)

That shows a clear lack of understanding of statistics if ANYONE would come close to the thought that Figgins and Crede produce about the same.

Craig Grebeck
12-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Interestingly, Crede has always been behind Figgins until 2006 in RC/G.

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/1580_227_OF_cseason_full_8_20061001.png

EMachine10
12-02-2006, 09:47 AM
i thought we were trying to get rid of a starter to plug mac into. unless we're goin six man rotation, then gettin santana (although a nice pitcher) doesn't really accomplish much. we then have to make another trade, just to free up a slot, and KW doesn't want to do that

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2006, 11:58 AM

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/1580_227_OF_cseason_full_8_20061001.pngALL RIGHT!!! GRAPHS!!!! All we need now is Homefish to project those graphs out for the next 5 years.

Jjav829
12-02-2006, 02:53 PM
i thought we were trying to get rid of a starter to plug mac into. unless we're goin six man rotation, then gettin santana (although a nice pitcher) doesn't really accomplish much. we then have to make another trade, just to free up a slot, and KW doesn't want to do that

It does accomplish something, though. It gives us a very good, young pitcher who we would control for another 4 years. That's something to value considering that Garcia and Buehrle are free agents after this year, and Vazquez after 2 years. Also the price for mediocre pitching, much less good pitching, is extremely high right now. A 24-year-old like Ervin Santana is one hell of a commodity to have, which is probably the reason why the Angels wouldn't really trade him.

jabrch
12-02-2006, 03:02 PM

It moves a higher priced pitcher for a nearly equivalent lower priced pitcher. It moves a guy about ready to be a FA (within one or two years, depending on who) and gets a guy 4 years away from FA. It enables you to have more to spend on other places.

MisterB
12-02-2006, 03:25 PM

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/1580_227_OF_cseason_full_8_20061001.png

Um...since when does 2 out of the last 5 seasons become "always"? :?:

halo
12-02-2006, 11:31 PM
I am an Angels fan and saying there is no chance for the:

Angels get:
Freddy Garcia
Joe Crede

White Sox get:
Chone Figgins
Ervin Santana

First of all Figgy could be just about = to Crede at 3B. Crede has more power and better D but Figgy is faster, can play more places than Crede and produces more runs which is the most important thing in winning championships (both of us won recently by playing "small ball"). Then you add Garcia for Santana, no way. Santana is going to be like Johan some day and shows great promise, I love Garcia and respect him but not for Ervin Santana. As you know, we rejected this trade, maybe if you tell your GM to take the Santana and Garcia part out of the trade we might consider and would probably accept this trade.

rdivaldi
12-02-2006, 11:36 PM
First of all Figgy could be just about = to Crede at 3B.

:bong:

halo
12-02-2006, 11:37 PM
:bong:

what the heck

Evman5
12-02-2006, 11:37 PM
First of all Figgy could be just about = to Crede at 3B. Crede has more power and better D but Figgy is faster, can play more places than Crede and produces more runs which is the most important thing in winning championships (both of us won recently by playing "small ball").

I am pretty sure you will not find a single person on this board that would rather have Chone Figgins as our third basemen. Secondly, if you are comparing the two at third base, why would Chone Figgins being able to "play more places than Crede" be an advantage or have anything to do with who plays third base better? We already have Chone figgins on our team, only he goes by Scott Podsednik.

JermaineDye05
12-02-2006, 11:39 PM
what the heck

its a pipe dream to say figgins is = to crede at 3rd

JermaineDye05
12-02-2006, 11:40 PM
I almost forgot...

what's the score?

jabrch
12-02-2006, 11:42 PM
First of all Figgy could be just about = to Crede at 3B.

Scott Podsednik is about = to Figgins. Joe Crede would be your second best hitter, and your best defensive player.

The fact that fans here seem to dislike this deal as much as you seem to dislike it, leads me to believe it is probably a fair deal at the end of the day.

halo
12-02-2006, 11:44 PM
I am pretty sure you will not find a single person on this board that would rather have Chone Figgins as our third basemen. Secondly, if you are comparing the two at third base, why would Chone Figgins being able to "play more places than Crede" be an advantage or have anything to do with who plays third base better? We already have Chone figgins on our team, only he goes by Scott Podsednik.

so your saying Pods is = to Figgy

Figgy has more speed, better avg, more versitile

Domeshot17
12-02-2006, 11:45 PM
we all over value our players

figgins pods about equal in average speed and obp, figgins is more versatile, end of the day they are about the same player

jabrch
12-02-2006, 11:49 PM

About the same speed. About the same average. And nobody gives a crap about his versatility. We don't need him to play every position, only one well. He doesn't do that anywhere near the level of Crede.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-02-2006, 11:50 PM
I'd prefer not to have anyone on our team that we'd be compelled to call "Figgy".

crazyozzie02
12-02-2006, 11:51 PM
dont listen to him. Hes just an Angels fan. But wait....Maybe he heard the GM of the Angels talking to Kenny on the phone in an airport telling him no dice.

Evman5

He has a slightly better career avg, they are both very similar in obp and I don't really no how you are going to tell me Figgy has more speed when Pods has the most steals of any player over the past 3 years. If we really want to nitpick I guess you can give Figgins a small edge. But as was just stated, they are basically the same player.

PalehosePlanet
Santana is going to be like Johan some day

If he's so great then why is it that EVERY time you guys are rumored in a trade you're dangling none other than Ervin Santana. First for Ramirez, then Tejada, then Soriano and now Crede.

fusillirob1983
12-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Rob Mackowiak plays more positions than Chone, no way we're giving you Mackowiak!

Oldschoolsoxguy
12-03-2006, 01:16 AM
You Chicago guys need to understand a couple of things.The first is that Angel fans are the West Coast version of cub fans.They are just as stupid and baseball ignorant as the lapdogs that root for the little teady bears.
They also believe everything they read from the local rags.An Angel beat writer has been printing the Crede for Figgins horsedump for almost a month running.You guys think you have it bad with Mariotti,Morrissey and Cowley back home but those goofs are sportswriter hall of famers compared to the stiffs out here.

QCIASOXFAN
12-03-2006, 01:35 AM
You Chicago guys need to understand a couple of things.The first is that Angel fans are the West Coast version of cub fans.They are just as stupid and baseball ignorant as the lapdogs that root for the little teady bears.
They also believe everything they read from the local rags.An Angel beat writer has been printing the Crede for Figgins horsedump for almost a month running.You guys think you have it bad with Mariotti,Morrissey and Cowley back home but those goofs are sportswriter hall of famers compared to the stiffs out here.
:unsure: I guess preach on man.

oeo
12-03-2006, 02:49 AM

Angels get:
Freddy Garcia
Joe Crede

White Sox get:
Chone Figgins
Ervin Santana

First of all Figgy could be just about = to Crede at 3B. Crede has more power and better D but Figgy is faster, can play more places than Crede and produces more runs which is the most important thing in winning championships (both of us won recently by playing "small ball"). Then you add Garcia for Santana, no way. Santana is going to be like Johan some day and shows great promise, I love Garcia and respect him but not for Ervin Santana. As you know, we rejected this trade, maybe if you tell your GM to take the Santana and Garcia part out of the trade we might consider and would probably accept this trade.

Who are you and why do you talk?

patbooyah
12-03-2006, 03:23 AM
what the heck

my nomination for post of the year. this had me laughing out loud.

DaleJRFan
12-03-2006, 03:47 AM

Angels get:
Freddy Garcia
Joe Crede

White Sox get:
Chone Figgins
Ervin Santana

You are right. If this trade happened, Kenny Williams should be fired immediately. Not only would he be trading a rising star and arguably the Sox best all-around player, but he would be doing so to recieve an overhyped, zero bat speed, marginally competent defender who can't do anything exceedingly well in Chone Figgins. The Sox already have a lightning fast utility player who doesn't have a primary position, but at least he can hit for an average better than 250... and his name is Pablo Ozuna.

When was the last time Ervin Santana had a perfect game through 7.2 innings... oh wait, that was Freddy Garcia. How many complete game ALCS wins does Santana have?? None you say? Right, again... it was Garcia.

Ervin Santana can't hold Johan Santana's jock. The only thing they share in their respective MLB careers is their last name and that's it. I actually hope Ervin stays with the Angels for a few more years. At least I know a few more 3-2 hangers will be thrown to Konerko with men on base.

Anyway, let's recap.

Power: Crede >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Figgins
Average: Crede >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Figgins
Defense: Crede >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Figgins
Arm: Crede >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Figgins
Speed: Who the hell cares...

Pablo Ozuna >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chone Figgins

The only way to even you bull**** trade concept weight would be:
Angels get: Crede + Garcia
Sox get: Vlad, Shields, Santana, Figgins... (eh, you can keep Figgins) and CASH.

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-03-2006, 07:36 AM

I copletely agree that this trade would be extremely lopsided, and Crede is way much better. But for 1, we need speed. Our team is a bunch of clodhoppers running around a diamond. I actually remember a conflict of moving Dye to 3-4 just so we get some speed in. Speed is one category I'd like to see the sox improve on, but (like you said) not via Figs.

Second off, you cannot compare and contrast Pablo with Figgins. Pablo is a banch player for a reason. But then again, if we had Figgins he might work out of the bench. Also, have you ever seen Pablo play ANY positions? He's a liability in everywhere he goes [however, he made some nasty plays which i thought were amazing (Throwing out Casey on a base hit.)]. But seriously, Pablo is a butcher practically everywhere he goes. I do like Ozuna better than Figgins for plenty of reasons, but mostly because he blows gum bubbles on a run to first base.:cool:

voodoochile
12-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Rob Mackowiak plays more positions than Chone, no way we're giving you Mackowiak!

Yeah, starting CF who can hit for a bit of power aren't cheap...:wink:

cbone
12-03-2006, 08:38 AM
First of all Figgy could be just about = to Crede at 3B. Crede has more power and better D but Figgy is faster, can play more places than Crede and produces more runs which is the most important thing in winning championships (both of us won recently by playing "small ball").

I hear we're going after this guy.

http://www.alexross.com/FF1045-Baseball-Bugs.jpg

hose
12-03-2006, 08:39 AM

Angels get:
Freddy Garcia
Joe Crede

White Sox get:
Chone Figgins
Ervin Santana

If the Angels decide to make this trade Kenny will toss in Mark Buehrle. Now that's Crede, Garcia and Mark Buehrle which by itself is a deal, but wait there's more.
Call Kenny in the next 24 hours to confirm the deal and Ryan Sweeney will be added to the trade, operators standing by, hurry.

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2006, 09:11 AM
You are right. If this trade happened, Kenny Williams should be fired immediately. Not only would he be trading a rising star and arguably the Sox best all-around player, but he would be doing so to recieve an overhyped, zero bat speed, marginally competent defender who can't do anything exceedingly well in Chone Figgins. The Sox already have a lightning fast utility player who doesn't have a primary position, but at least he can hit for an average better than 250... and his name is Pablo Ozuna.

When was the last time Ervin Santana had a perfect game through 7.2 innings... oh wait, that was Freddy Garcia. How many complete game ALCS wins does Santana have?? None you say? Right, again... it was Garcia.

Ervin Santana can't hold Johan Santana's jock. The only thing they share in their respective MLB careers is their last name and that's it. I actually hope Ervin stays with the Angels for a few more years. At least I know a few more 3-2 hangers will be thrown to Konerko with men on base.

Anyway, let's recap.

Power: Crede >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Figgins
Average: Crede >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Figgins
Defense: Crede >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Figgins
Arm: Crede >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Figgins

The only way to even you bull**** trade concept weight would be:
Angels get: Crede + Garcia
Sox get: Vlad, Shields, Santana, Figgins... (eh, you can keep Figgins) and CASH.
So jaded. I'd do the deal in a second just to get Santana. He's young and cheap. Crede will be overpaid, and his offensive production isn't all it's made out to be.

DaleJRFan
12-03-2006, 09:21 AM
So jaded. I'd do the deal in a second just to get Santana. He's young and cheap. Crede will be overpaid, and his offensive production isn't all it's made out to be.

...you cannot compare and contrast Pablo with Figgins. Pablo is a banch player for a reason...

I think you both missed the intended humor of my post and the fact that I was trying to out-do the ridiculousness of the thread's starter... :redneck

caulfield12
12-03-2006, 09:22 AM

Obviously Crede FOR Figgins alone isn't going anywhere, but Santana for Garcia probably balances it out, considering we would have four years of Santana for only two of Crede AND we have a capable replacement who's going to be much cheaper. That extra money can be used to improve the bullpen and still gives us the flexibility to trade another starter to open a spot for Brandon (most likely Garland or Vazquez).

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Obviously Crede FOR Figgins alone isn't going anywhere, but Santana for Garcia probably balances it out, considering we would have four years of Santana for only two of Crede AND we have a capable replacement who's going to be much cheaper. That extra money can be used to improve the bullpen and still gives us the flexibility to trade another starter to open a spot for Brandon (most likely Garland or Vazquez).
Garland: HELL NO!

SOXSINCE'70
12-03-2006, 09:27 AM
I'd prefer not to have anyone on our team that we'd be compelled to call "Figgy".

Same here.Figgy?? What the **** is a "Figgy"??
Oh,that's right.In "We Wish You A Merry Christmas",
the song does mention "figgy pudding".:tongue:

SOXSINCE'70
12-03-2006, 09:29 AM
I hear we're going after this guy.

http://www.alexross.com/FF1045-Baseball-Bugs.jpg
Sign him up,Kenny.:D: :D:

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2006, 09:29 AM
...why? He had one good season. He may bring back the largest return of the five starters, and he's not any better than the rest of them.

TornLabrum
12-03-2006, 09:30 AM
...why? He had one good season. He may bring back the largest return of the five starters, and he's not any better than the rest of them.

One?

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-03-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm sorry my friend, but Garland had more than just 1 good season. He's getting steadily better, too. Why would you give that up?

WizardsofOzzie
12-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Sigh......:tealpolice:

...why? He had one good season. He may bring back the largest return of the five starters, and he's not any better than the rest of them. annnnnd one more time :tealpolice:

WizardsofOzzie
12-03-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm sorry my friend, but Garland had more than just 1 good season. He's getting steadily better, too. Why would you give that up?
He's not that much of a Crede fan either from what i've gathered

esbrechtel
12-03-2006, 10:18 AM
another shawn (i refuse to spell out chone...) figgins thread :supernana:
the WSI drinking team should take a drink everytime someone starts a new "figgy" thread...

esbrechtel
12-03-2006, 10:22 AM
JUST SAY NO TO
http://www.realgmbaseball.com/images/mlb/4.2/wiretap/photos/Figgins_Chone_laa_1.jpg

esbrechtel
12-03-2006, 10:23 AM
geoff blum :D:

TornLabrum
12-03-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm getting sick of all the Figgins threads, far too many whose name sounds like he should be a Hobbitt. From here on out, put all your Figgins speculation here.

caulfield12
12-03-2006, 11:02 AM
now the thread title reminds me of a woman's item...lol, oh well

chisoxmike
12-03-2006, 11:04 AM

Angels get:
Freddy Garcia
Joe Crede

White Sox get:
Chone Figgins
Ervin Santana

We don't want the trade to happen.

Oh yeah...

:AJ:
"Hi."

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm sorry my friend, but Garland had more than just 1 good season.
It depends on what you define as "good." Obviously, 2005 was a good season. But he has been right at league average in ERA (.15 below this season). He is an innings eater who is highly dependent on good luck (BABIP) because he doesn't strike many guys out. Of all our starters, he would bring the best return. Freddy has velocity issues. Buehrle doesn't have the "stuff" Jon does, and is only signed through '07. Vazquez has been pretty bad and his value has plummeted. Contreras has age concerns.

If we can get young, cheap, and good pitching for Garland, pull the trigger. Texas would adore him because of his ability to induce the groundball. Although this season, he was giving up flyballs at a much higher rate than in 2005.
He's getting steadily better, too.
How so? By looking at his stats it is fairly clear that 2005 was an aberration, and 2006 is the norm.
Why would you give that up?
I like that he's an innings eater, but he makes ten million next year and twelve right after. The way the market is right now, we could get some serious prospects while giving us some payroll flexibility.
He's not that much of a Crede fan either from what i've gathered
I like Joe. I think he's a pretty good player. But his bat is replacable. An .828 OPS out of 3B isn't irreplacable. In 2006 he was around 10-12 in stats for 3rd basemen. I appreciate his defense, but if young pitching can be had, go for it.

ChiSoxLifer
12-03-2006, 04:43 PM
http://edu.audiotap.com/mylife/tie/album/images/stop_sign_jpg.jpg

Please, no more.

Flight #24
12-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Not to restart a dead thread, but because it's an Angels-Sox rumor, I figured this is the best/most fitting spot to put it. If not, it can be split out.

Supposedly the Halos have said no-go to dealing Ervin Santana. The Sox have countered by asking for John Lackey (signed through '09 at $4.5 - $7 - $9M) in trade for Crede. I can only imagine that that would then enable them to deal 2 of Garcia/Buehrle/Vazquez, or maybe even deal Garland in a deal for more return.

Would the Spankees bite on 2 of Buehrle/Garcia/Garland+Uribe for ARod? (probably not)

Sargeant79
12-06-2006, 10:57 AM
While I would rather have Santana, I wouldn't hesitate to trade Crede for a solid young starter like Lackey.

My guess is that the Angels wouldn't do that without more coming back from us. While they are certainly hard up for offense, I'm sure they understand the skyrocketing value of young starting pitching just as well as everyone else.

sox1970
12-06-2006, 11:14 AM

Agreed. He's 27 years old. He's won 18 games the last two years. He's untouchable in my mind.

Buehrle is a tougher decision, but I hope he stays. He needs to bounce back next year, and I think he will. I just don't want to see the Sox trade a guy that they drafted and gives 230 innings every year. That's very difficult to replace.