PDA

View Full Version : Were any of you at Andy Hawkins no-hitter in 1990?

soxinem1
11-30-2006, 06:08 PM
As I attended every game that last year in Comiskey, I remember this one with such extreme pleasure. I even watch the tape from time to time.

It was one of those wierd days weather-wise. It was warm in the sun, but when the clouds passed, the warmth went away. PLus, the windy conditions that day actually gave me a slight wind burn.

I remember Jim Leyritz blowing the catch in LF, and Stump Merrill blowing his stack looking at Bob Rosenberg in the old scorers box like he was crazy when the first booted play of the inning was quickly ruled a hit. But my favorite of the defensive lapses was the ball Jesse Barfield chucked on Ivan Calderon's fly ball. Andy Hawkins looked like his kidney was just extracted after that play.

The one thing that made this game so special was that it put the White Sox in first place. It just seemed like the old place was trying to push one last magical season out of itself, because that team played a ton of thrillers that year. And if anyone was around in 1989, it was a refreshing season, as just about all of the local and national sportswriters picked the Sox to repeat the last place finish of 1989. I think only Hawk Harrelson, in his first year back in the booth, was the only media person who really said he liked the team.

This game really sticks in my memory like yesterday. I also rememebr getting to the park before the gates opened and photographing everything, including all the restrooms, for the crowds were picking up, and as the last games ever in Comiskey were getting closer and closer, it was probably one of the last opportunities to do such a thing. Calderon himself accompanied me in early that day, so I never broke my ticket (unlike today, when they scan them and leave them intact). One of my favorite pictures I have framed is the Sun-Times headline 'Hitless Wonders' showing Ozzie scoring. Also incased in the frame is my mint ticket, looking like the day it was printed.

Does anyone else have any memories of this game?

ewokpelts
11-30-2006, 06:25 PM
I remember watching it on tv.
I was, however, at the game where Jordan had BP. Day Camp day.

Woofer
11-30-2006, 06:50 PM
This was the last game that I went to at the old park. I remember thinking that we were watching history. I wish that I had brought a camera, because it would be great to have some photos.

maurice
11-30-2006, 06:52 PM
I was there. It was bat day.

Woofer
11-30-2006, 06:56 PM
I think you are right. I realized I was too old to get one, and still too young to buy a beer!

eastchicagosoxfan
11-30-2006, 07:19 PM
I was there. Right field upper deck. It was surreal.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-30-2006, 08:20 PM
I was there. It was bat day.

I bought tickets for me and my two brothers (one being a Yankee fan :angry: - both are Cubs fans :(: ) early in the season - the final season at Comiskey Park :(: :angry: . We were in the second row of the lower deck RF seats.

This was the first and only no hitter I have ever been to. The best thing about it was the White Sox won and we attended history.

The Yankees weren't the only ones making errors as Robin Ventura had two errors on the day.

Just another low scoring game and great time at the best ballpark I have ever been to.

WHITE SOX 8TH: Karkovice popped to second; Fletcher popped to
second; Sosa reached on an error by Blowers; Sosa stole second;
Guillen walked; Johnson walked [Sosa to third, Guillen to
second]; Ventura reached on an error by Leyritz [Sosa scored
(unearned), Guillen scored (unearned) (no RBI), Johnson scored
(unearned) (no RBI), Ventura to second]; Calderon reached on an
error by Barfield [Ventura scored (unearned), Calderon to
second]; Pasqua popped to shortstop; 4 R, 0 H, 3 E, 1 LOB.
Yankees 0, White Sox 4.

Lip Man 1
11-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Paul Sullivan told me in his WSI Interview that he was at that game and that it was one of his favorite Sox moments.

Lip

SOXPHILE
11-30-2006, 08:32 PM
I remember it being a strange couple of days. I didn't go to that game, but I had gone the night before, and it was extremely hot and humid, no breeze. The crowd was pretty rowdy, as I saw numerous fights, and there were alot of Yankees fans there. At one point, security cleared out an entire section of the left field upper deck. I was coming back from the restroom, and saw dozens of people lined up on the ramp against the wall. It sucked because the Sox got down early 7-0, and wound up losing something like 7-4. Then, the next day, while at a barbeque, I remember hearing Hawkins had a no hitter going, and was feeling pretty disgusted. It wasn't until later that night on the news that I found out what happened.

dungball
11-30-2006, 08:55 PM
I was at the game in the upper deck in right. Thought I was seeing history until a few years later when an official rule change stating that it was no longer a no hitter due to 9 innings were not pitched. I sat next to a guy from Minnesota who drove down to see the ball park before it was history and talked baseball the whole game. Thanks for bring up a good memory.:wink:

DumpJerry
11-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah, 'ole Dump was there. Took my camera, I have a picture of the line score on the scoreboard somewhere. Hibbard was perfect until the 6th inning that day.

It was exactly what I thought it would be given the following facts:

1. Comiskey's last birthday.
2. The Yankees' last visit.

Sox could not lose on Comiskey's last birthday. The Yankees, the most storied team in MLB (sorry, Tribune Company) had to do something special for all those old Yanks watching from Above.

StatManDu
11-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks for bringing up this topic. I love it.

I worked the game. Of the 600 or so I've worked, that one ranks as one of my favorites. That whole season ranks as my second favorite ever -- behind, of course, 2005.

In defense of Bob Rosenberg, he did not make that call immediately and then change it. The "hit" was flashed by someone who did not wait for the call. I do remember Merrill spewing venom and tobacco juice at the press box. Bob had it right all along.

One thing not known about that game is that Bob neglected to notice Dave Gallagher coming into the game as a defensive replacement in the ninth inning. I don't think Gallie was added to the official box until well after the game ended -- maybe even the next day.

Just a beautiful, wild, weird wonderful day.

What is often lost in this game was just how good White Sox starter Greg Hibbard was. He retired the first 16 he faced and was just dominating. It really was a clinic on how to pitch. He didn't get the win but was he was every bit as good -- if not better -- than Hawkins that day.

soxwon
11-30-2006, 11:31 PM
yes i was there, have the ticket to prove it.

tebman
12-01-2006, 07:31 AM
I watched that game on TV. It was one of those days in which the TV was on in the background so that I could check on the game, and as it went on and I saw that a no-hitter was in progress, I paid more attention.

It was clear that it was a weird game. After Guillen and Johnson walked, I knew it was a cheap no-hitter, but there was a strage vibe going on. Then Leyritz drops Ventura's fly ball and clears the bases! :o: I can't remember who was doing the play-by-play, or if I had the radio on instead of the TV audio, but I clearly remember hearing an astonished "He dropped the ball! He dropped the ball!" I sat there with my mouth open. Then I laughed. :D:

An incredible day. It's become one of those stories I bore my kids with.

Madvora
12-01-2006, 08:50 AM
After Guillen and Johnson walked, I knew it was a cheap no-hitter
Cheap? That's the difference between a no hitter and a perfect game.

mrwag
12-01-2006, 09:05 AM
I watched that game on TV. It was one of those days in which the TV was on in the background so that I could check on the game, and as it went on and I saw that a no-hitter was in progress, I paid more attention.

It was clear that it was a weird game. After Guillen and Johnson walked, I knew it was a cheap no-hitter, but there was a strage vibe going on. Then Leyritz drops Ventura's fly ball and clears the bases! :o: I can't remember who was doing the play-by-play, or if I had the radio on instead of the TV audio, but I clearly remember hearing an astonished "He dropped the ball! He dropped the ball!" I sat there with my mouth open. Then I laughed. :D:

An incredible day. It's become one of those stories I bore my kids with.

Hawn and Wimpy. I remember it like yesterday.. Ahh, what a season.

twentywontowin
12-01-2006, 09:39 AM
I was there and still have the bat from Bat Day. I was a little kid and went with my dad.

I got the newspaper from the next day as well that he saved:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a141/slowcamaro/9.jpg

Moses_Scurry
12-01-2006, 11:25 AM
I was listening to the game at my part-time job.

FWIW I was at the infamous "Lee Stevens homerun off Thigpen" that year :angry: .

IIRC, that was the season that there was something like 7 no-hitters including 2 on the same night, a losing no-hitter, and one of Nolan Ryan's no-hitters.

What a crazy fun season!!!

34 Inch Stick
12-01-2006, 11:36 AM
No, but I was at one of Dan Pasqua's one hitters.

Lip Man 1
12-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Here's what even a tad more bizarre. Eleven days later Melido Perez threw a six inning rain shortened no hitter at the Yanks in New York. The Yanks starter that night....

Yep...

Andy Hawkins.

Lip

downstairs
12-01-2006, 12:14 PM
I was like 14 at the time. I remember once it got to the 5th or so, I scrounged around for a blank tape and taped the radio (WMAQ?) on my box radio.

I still have the tape, and listened to it a few weeks ago while packing my house.

It was truly a bizarre game, especially considering the circumstances....

Lip Man 1
12-01-2006, 12:21 PM
The other thing about that game was that the Sox starter Greg Hibbard had a no hitter going for the first 5 1/3 innings!

A double no hitter for the first five innings!

Lip

Bob G
12-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Yes - I was at the game. I remember walking down the ramp after the game thinking to myself I will probably never see another game where a pitcher no hits a team and loses. Incredible...

Calcio23
12-02-2006, 12:09 AM
I was at a friend's birthday party, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I saw the highlights on one of the TV sportscasts that day. Truly amazing and indicative of a crazy magical final season at Old Comiskey. Unfortunately for me, I never went to the old palace for a baseball game, but I did see many a soccer game there as a kid. Not ever seeing a Sox game there still leaves a void in me. My first Sox game was the next year in the new place and seeing a corner of Old Comiskey torn up made me sick inside.

I only wish I could ever get my hands on a copy of that game. I'd wear it out!

DumpJerry
12-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Here's what even a tad more bizarre. Eleven days later Melido Perez threw a six inning rain shortened no hitter at the Yanks in New York. The Yanks starter that night....

Yep...

Andy Hawkins.

Lip
Even more amazing: on his next outing afer the no-no at Comiskey, Hawkins went 10 innings against the Twins and lost 1-0. That year was the year King George would have had a stroke or heart attack if it was possible because the Yanks were about as bad a baseball team can be. That year proved to most of us that George truly indeed was heartless because he lived to tell about it.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-02-2006, 05:50 PM
I took the future Mrs. PHG to that game, the first baseball game she ever attended. Needless to say, she was bored. Fortunately her father knew the significance of the event when she called him to explain how she saw a pitcher throw a no-hitter and LOSE the game. I knew I was off on the right foot with him.
:wink:

Brian26
12-02-2006, 08:06 PM
As I attended every game that last year in Comiskey, I remember this one with such extreme pleasure. I even watch the tape from time to time.

That was a great series against the Yankees. The Friday night game had the most incredible 9th inning I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure I still have a tape of this. Calderon began the inning by spearing a line drive off Mattingly's bat for a diving catch in left center. The second out came right after that with Ventura catching a ball up against the thirdbase camera well, with a couple of beverages falling on his head, and Guillen was right there and showed the ump that Ventura's glove had the ball in it. Someone singled to right after that, but Sosa cut the ball off and made a solid throw to 2nd to hold them at first in what should have been a double. And then to end the inning, Sosa caught a flyball to right.

soxinem1
12-02-2006, 08:46 PM
That year was the year King George would have had a stroke or heart attack if it was possible because the Yanks were about as bad a baseball team can be. That year proved to most of us that George truly indeed was heartless because he lived to tell about it.

Funny you mention Steinbrenner. That was also the year when the Sox had three lefties in the pen (Patterson, Edwards, and Radinsky) and after the White Sox swept a four game set in NY that July George announced that the White Sox could have any player on the NYY roster in exchange for one of the lefties.

DumpJerry
12-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Funny you mention Steinbrenner. That was also the year when the Sox had three lefties in the pen (Patterson, Edwards, and Radinsky) and after the White Sox swept a four game set in NY that July George announced that the White Sox could have any player on the NYY roster in exchange for one of the lefties.
How generous of him. Was Costanza included?

Hangar18
12-04-2006, 11:11 AM
I remember watching that game on tv, and realizing how Bizarre that year was turning out for us, thinking that might be the year for us .......

to tell the truth, that game epitomized the entire season, the SOX were winning some very improbable games. I remember the year before being very down on the team, the SOX fanbase becoming very lethargic. I remember they brought up a bunch of rookies and started playing them late in the 2nd half, and they started beating everyone, having one of the best 2nd half records,
and I thought hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm about 1990. Nobody expected much, and neither did I,
but I remember they started off red-hot and kept winning, early on, they came back against KC I think, and won a game in the bottom of the 9th, I happened to watch it, and remembering jumping around as the winning run scored from 3rd, the park mostly empty, but the fans that were there were loud as heck ............ and thats when Wimpy coined that term "The SOX win it .........
come back in the 9th .......Who are these guys?!!" and that was their rallying cry the rest of the year

soxinem1
12-04-2006, 08:14 PM
but I remember they started off red-hot and kept winning, early on, they came back against KC I think, and won a game in the bottom of the 9th, I happened to watch it, and remembering jumping around as the winning run scored from 3rd, the park mostly empty, but the fans that were there were loud as heck ............ and thats when Wimpy coined that term "The SOX win it .........
come back in the 9th .......Who are these guys?!!" and that was their rallying cry the rest of the year

Yes, that was when Scott Fletcher scored from 3B on a sac fly to SS-LF.