PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to Ed Herrmann

StatManDu
11-30-2006, 01:31 PM
On this date in 1964, the Sox made one of the wisest pickups of the 1960s when they snared catcher Ed Herrmann from the Milwaukee Braves’ organization in the first-year minor league draft. A left-handed hitter, Herrmann made it to the Sox in 1967. By 1969, he was the Sox regular catcher and such a force behind the plate he was nicknamed “Fort Herrmann.” An All-Star in 1974, Herrmann is one of just four catchers to reach double figures in homers in a season five times. “Sup-Herrmann’s” 19 homers in 1970 were the most ever by a left-handed hitting catcher in Sox history.

Here are the White Sox catchers who reached double figures in homers in a season:
No. Catcher........................................... ............Years
10. Carlton Fisk.............................................. 1982-1991
6. Sherm Lollar.........................................195 2; 1955-59
5. ED HERRMANN.............................1970-72; 1974-75
5. Ron Karkovice......................................... ...1992-1996
2. John Romano............................................ ..1965-1966
2. A.J. Pierzynski........................................ .....2005-2006
1. Les Moss.............................................. ...............1956
1. Tom Egan.............................................. ..............1971
1. Brian Downing........................................... ..........1974
1. Jim Essian............................................ ................1977
1. Charles Johnson........................................... ........2000

Chicken Dinner
11-30-2006, 02:04 PM
He didn't die did he?? Usually that's when you have a tribute.

StatManDu
11-30-2006, 02:08 PM
just a little something to commemorate the anniversary of his joining the franchise

lakeviewsoxfan
11-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Wasn't this person warned not post **** like this

Minnie Me
11-30-2006, 02:37 PM
This just proves the sorry state of Sox catching thru the years.
JC Martin were art thou now.

Lip Man 1
11-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Ed Herrmann WSI Interview:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2285

Lip

StatManDu
11-30-2006, 03:03 PM
That was a wonderful interview. Extremely informative. Just a tremendously accessible man. I remember when I was doing some research on Herrmann for the Sox and the All-Star Game and couldn't get a clear cut reason as to why he passed on his selection in 1974. I googled him, found his site, emailed him the question and he responded in a timely and informative fashion. Just class, all the way.

“Rather than go and let everyone know how bad my foot was, I got a ticket and went to California to relax and get well so (teammate) Brian Downing didn't have to catch many games (in the second half),” Herrmann said in answer to my question.

DumpJerry
11-30-2006, 04:20 PM
When I was a wee one, my parents would take my brother and me to The Urinal. It was ok there. Ernie Banks would give autographs to the wee ones during BP, we never went to the bleachers ("it's too dangerous there" my mom would explain).

Then one day when I was 9 year old, my dad decided I was ready for real baseball. We went to Comiskey and I thought it was pretty much like The Urinal, except there were no "dangerous" bleachers. All that changed when Herrmann went yard. My dad "forgot" to tell me about a minor difference between the two parks. Around the second firework explosion, the Whte Sox got Dumpjerry as a fan.

It was all Ed Herrmann's fault!

StatManDu
11-30-2006, 04:34 PM
"Wasn't this person warned not post **** like this?

I assume this is supposed to read "Wasn't this person warned not TO post **** like this?"

I was "warned" by the powers that be not to link to blogs and then told not to post information that was along the same vein but completely different to that of another poster even though that is done frequently in this forum.

If any of the information I have posted since then is in violation of the rules, let me know and I will abide. I just want to go by the same rules everyone else does.

Thanks.

michned
11-30-2006, 04:50 PM
First off, I'm glad he's still with us. He truly is one of my all time favorites because I became a fan when he was in his prime.

Two things stick out about Ed Herrmann - seeing him leg out a triple, and I swear his legs were moving but his body wasn't going anywhere, and seeing a play at the plate, might have been Campaneris, whose spikes ripped the side of his pants from top to bottom.

SoxFanSince67
11-30-2006, 08:36 PM
I guess it was 69 or 70 when the Sox had "Photo Night." Before the game they let fans onto the field to take photos of Sox players lined up along the left field foul line. I have a black and white of me standing next to Ed Hermann. Most of the players stood there with little interest, but Ed put his hand on my shoulder, smiled and posed for the photo that my dad took. That photo is now part of my Sox history shrine.

TornLabrum
11-30-2006, 09:35 PM
"Wasn't this person warned not post **** like this?

I assume this is supposed to read "Wasn't this person warned not TO post **** like this?"

I was "warned" by the powers that be not to link to blogs and then told not to post information that was along the same vein but completely different to that of another poster even though that is done frequently in this forum.

If any of the information I have posted since then is in violation of the rules, let me know and I will abide. I just want to go by the same rules everyone else does.

Thanks.

I bet to differ with you about what you were told not to post. I didn't warn you not to post this day in Sox history stuff. I said something to the effect of "Why post that kind of stuff when somebody here has been doing it for a long time." The major rule violation was the blog link. Nothing else you've done since is a rule violation unless you are posting copyrighted material as your own, or posting over what would be considered fair use of copyrighted material.

TornLabrum
11-30-2006, 09:37 PM
The one play I'll always remember "Fort" Herrmann for was a play at the plate where Bert Campaneris came charging towards the plate and slid spikes high right into Herrmann. When the dust had settled, the outer seam of Herrmann's pants had been split from the bottom all the way to his waist.

StatManDu
11-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Your exact words were "we don't need another" so out of respect for your wishes, I stopped and started posting other things.

Lip Man 1
12-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Uh-Oh!

Lip

TornLabrum
12-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Sometimes I forget to preface my personal feelings by stating that that I am speaking for myself and not as a mod. He misunderstood apparently, and that's my fault. However, as I did point out, anyone who has been around long enough knows that Lip has been doing this for quite awhile. Why would we need another series of this date in Sox history threads?

Sometimes I assume too much. I figured that if someone has something different to contribute to a particular date, they could add it to an existing thread, and that people would realize that.

Steelrod
12-01-2006, 01:33 PM
19 Homers and ripped pants. Forget the tribute and get him a bronze statue!

NoNeckEra
12-01-2006, 02:03 PM
How come no one's mentioned Herrmann's greatest contribution to the Sox that era:
The creation of the "Big White Machine" in 1970 pictured on this site frequently. It was a take off on the "Big Red Machine" of the Cincinnati Reds that year.

As I recall, they'd roll that noisy jalopy out of the center field bullpen after each Sox home win that year. Too bad they made it thru the whole year on one tank of gas!

StatManDu
12-01-2006, 03:53 PM
What if I posted material that was different to the material he is posting. That would be like if he had one opinion on Joe Crede and I had another, right?

I've noticed he's working a day ahead and doesn't have much of the stuff I have.

Would that be OK?

Would you rather I just not post on this site anymore? I have posted some lists previously and people have really gotten into them based on the views and the replies.

Lip Man 1
12-01-2006, 05:26 PM
StatMan:

I post them a day ahead of time because it's well known that members of the Chicago media (many of whom I know) post and read the site regularly. I give them a 24 hour head start in case something of mine gives them an idea to do a story or mention it in a column. That has happened in the past which means it would be printed or talked about on the day of the anniversary.

Lip

Lip Man 1
12-01-2006, 05:26 PM
NoNeck:

Because it's talked about in his interview with WSI including the story of how it all came about and a picture of it.

Lip

lakeviewsoxfan
12-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Wow Lip I cannot believe you have competetion. By the way thanks I really appreciate reading your threads.

StatManDu
12-01-2006, 06:20 PM
No, no, no ... I am not competing. One of the board mods made it clear Lip is the only one who can do this so I don't do it.

misty60481
12-01-2006, 08:40 PM
He hit all his home runs in old Comiskey,, if he was playing in new park you would have to almost double the numbers----

TornLabrum
12-01-2006, 10:59 PM
What if I posted material that was different to the material he is posting. That would be like if he had one opinion on Joe Crede and I had another, right?

I've noticed he's working a day ahead and doesn't have much of the stuff I have.

Would that be OK?

Would you rather I just not post on this site anymore? I have posted some lists previously and people have really gotten into them based on the views and the replies.

As I said, add it to the existing thread...and of course no links to your blog.

StatManDu
12-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Are those baseball cards people often include with their posts, copyrighted material? Because if they aren't, I'd like to include them with posts a la the MInoso card in a thread above. If they are, I won't.

jsinaiko
12-02-2006, 01:12 PM
I always felt he was under-rated in an era of great backstops (Bench, Munson, Darryl Porter, Ted Simmons, Young Fisk, etc.).

He was a brick wall on the 3rd base line - nobody could run through him.

And he caught Wilbur Wood without a hitch.

And, in the tradition of Sherm Lollar, he was the slowest runner in the American Leauge.

I always enjoyed watching him do his job.