PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 Holds from 2006 (who would you get?)

caulfield12
11-30-2006, 08:27 AM
Let's say you wanted to go out and get the "hottest" set-up man on the market. Would it be wise to do so?

Linebrink, Zumaya, Rincon, Speier, Kiko Calero, Tankersley and Howry I'm assuming would be prohibitively expensive or impossibilities.

Not sure about Brandon Lyon, that would be tough.

Which leaves you another list:

Heilman
Proctor
Vizcaino (yes, that one)
Wheeler
Arthur Rhodes
Chad Qualls
Mike Timlin
Salomon Torres
Jose Mesa
Scott Schoeneweis (4.88 ERA)
Kyle Farnsworth

I'm going to wipe out Vizcaino, Farnsworth and Scott right off the bat. Timlin will probably be needed as insurance for Hansen and Del Carmen if they move Papelbon to starter.

Wheeler and Qualls? Well, we were better than them in the World Series, not sure about acquiring either one of those guys.

That leaves Heilman, Proctor, Rhodes, Torres and Mesa.

The first two would be expensive, although they could come back in a trade for one of our starters.

Rhodes would be the obvious choice as a lefty. After him, I'd go with Steve Kline.

Torres does a lot of what Haeger does, except he's a veteran. Mesa has the former closer pedigree but terribly erratic results (think Armando Benitez).

Probably, I go with Torres here because it provides insurance to the starting rotation and he's simply a better choice than Haeger at this point. In 2008 or 2009, I might think differently.

But, overall, I would be happy to add Rhodes and Torres and feel pretty confident with the bullpen.

caulfield12
11-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Still waiting for a reply...

JohnTucker0814
12-01-2006, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Viz back with the Sox... I need his autograph on my 16x20 WS Photo!!!!

guillen4life13
12-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Say no to Mesa!

DaleJRFan
12-01-2006, 05:04 PM
I just noticed that Akinori Otsuka gave up ZERO ER aginst righthanded batters last year, ZERO. WOW. Any way the Sox could pry him away from Texas??

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-01-2006, 05:05 PM
I kind of like Torres, as well as Proctor

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-01-2006, 05:06 PM
I just noticed that Akinori Otsuka gave up ZERO ER aginst righthanded batters last year, ZERO. WOW. Any way the Sox could pry him away from Texas??

Ya we just need to give up Jolly Green Jon up in the process:whiner:...screw that :whiner: