PDA

View Full Version : stop being depressing

bouldersox
03-06-2002, 08:47 PM
I'm very disappointed to see Hal Vickery's comments about his "doubts" for the 2002 season. At a time when spring training begins and hope springs eternal, and sox fans begin to come back to this board, they are greeted with a depressing opening column from hal. shake it off, hal! we expect more from you.

no matter how bad last season was, no matter how awful the sox performed in the 2000 playoffs, you can not take June, 2000 away from me. That was a month to remember for any true sox fan. and i want that feeling again in 2002!

I expect great things from the sox this year. i think they'll be stronger coming out of the gate than they were in 2001! i think buerele will be strong again, ritchie was a good pick up and parque will increase his velocity in spring training! i'm hopeful about frank being back in old form. i love valentin's and ordonez's attitude! i hope crede makes manuel's decision to send him back to the minors an extremely tough one.

we sox fans have a ton to be hopeful for in 2002. let's pick up the chatter, and push the sox onto victory!!!

Daver
03-06-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by bouldersox
I'm very disappointed to see Hal Vickery's comments about his "doubts" for the 2002 season. At a time when spring training begins and hope springs eternal, and sox fans begin to come back to this board, they are greeted with a depressing opening column from hal. shake it off, hal! we expect more from you.

no matter how bad last season was, no matter how awful the sox performed in the 2000 playoffs, you can not take June, 2000 away from me. That was a month to remember for any true sox fan. and i want that feeling again in 2002!

I expect great things from the sox this year. i think they'll be stronger coming out of the gate than they were in 2001! i think buerele will be strong again, ritchie was a good pick up and parque will increase his velocity in spring training! i'm hopeful about frank being back in old form. i love valentin's and ordonez's attitude! i hope crede makes manuel's decision to send him back to the minors an extremely tough one.

we sox fans have a ton to be hopeful for in 2002. let's pick up the chatter, and push the sox onto victory!!!

Welcome aboard.

A good dose of reality hurts no one,unless they are sCrUBS fans.

czalgosz
03-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Well, if you look hard enough, fans from every team can find something to be doubtful about. Even Yankee fans can find flaws with their team. I could easily imagine a scenario where El Duque gets traded, Wells gets injured again and simply hangs it up, and Clemens starts showing his age. Then the big holes in the Yankees middle relief become obvious, and suddenly they are the 2000 Cleveland Indians.

At this time of year, every player is a question mark. There's no such thing as a sure thing in sports. It's March, for Pete's sake. I'm just going to enjoy the fact that they're playing baseball again, and not even look at the standings until May 1.

Cheryl
03-06-2002, 08:58 PM
Welcome to WSI!

So you know, there's already a thread on this subject:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8152

PaleHoseGeorge
03-06-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz ...I'm just going to enjoy the fact that they're playing baseball again, and not even look at the standings until May 1. [/B]

Unfortunately, history suggests that most everything has largely been decided by May 1. The great start of the 2000 Sox and the lousy start by the 2001 team are two great examples.

Championships aren't won in April, but they sure are lost.

czalgosz
03-06-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Unfortunately, history suggests that most everything has largely been decided by May 1. The great start of the 2000 Sox and the lousy start by the 2001 team are two great examples.

Well, the A's were 8-18 at the end of April, and ended up winning 102 games. It's hard to compete after a bad April, but not impossible.

What killed the Sox was that they had a terrible April and a terrible May.

RKMeibalane
03-06-2002, 09:15 PM
I think we all need to keep things in perspective. It's March. Yeah, I know that this team has problems, but there is more than enough time to fix them. Right now, the pitching staff can't get anybody out, but other teams are having similar problems. I mean, look what the Sox did to the Cubs. No one is playing top-notch baseball right now. It's too early.

Let's appriciate the fact that for the moment, all is well in Sox land. No one has held out of camp as Frank did last season, and there is no David Wells to ruin the fun for everyone. He can do that in the Yankee clubhouse. Jerry Manuel probably spoke too soon with regard to his opening day line-up, but that no worse than Sammy Sosa claiming that the Scrubs are World Series material.

Chisox_cali
03-06-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Thats so true...

May 1, 2000 Sox 17-9 :smile:
May 1, 2001 Sox 8-16 :whiner: