PDA

View Full Version : Ex Sox Bradford expected to get $10m/3 years

caulfield12
11-28-2006, 10:34 PM
From the Orioles....talk about rebuilding a bullpen the expense way!

Baez, Bradford, Jamie Walker and probably Scott Williamson (first bargain of the offseason at $900K?)...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/29/sports/baseball/29mets.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Is Riske worth that kind of money? I think we're better off trying to find someone else, but the pickings are decreasing a little each day.

from mlbtraderumors.com

"Anybody think it's a little odd that the O's traded Chris Britton for a reclamation project and are now probably spending about $8M a year for Bradford and Danys Baez? (Odd? Yes. In character? Absolutely.)"

MUsoxfan
11-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Might as well pay these guys like starters.....they'll certainly be eating up innings with the crap that goes Baltimore sends to the mound in the 1st inning

SoxFanPrope
11-29-2006, 12:03 AM
At least the O's are overpaying for something a little more useful this year.

DaleJRFan
11-29-2006, 12:07 AM
Might as well pay these guys like starters.....they'll certainly be eating up innings with the crap that goes Baltimore sends to the mound in the 1st inning

Their rotation isn't all that bad... at least not as awful as you make it sound... they have a bit of fifth starter syndrom though. At least there's no more Lopez or Chen.

Erik Bedard
Kris Benson
Daniel Cabrera
Jaret Wright
Adam Loewen / Hayden Penn

FedEx227
11-29-2006, 12:22 AM
It's better than its been in recent years. Lets not forget they peddle Rodrigo Lopez and Bruce Chen out there on a regular basis.

SOX ADDICT '73
11-29-2006, 12:30 AM
I have a theory about pitchers like Bradford, Byung Hyun Kim, and even Shingo: their deliveries are so bizarre, and the umpires are so astonished when the ball ends up anywhere near the plate, that they manage to get a pretty generous strike zone. I think the ump figures, "That's probably as close as this freakazoid is going to get, so unless I want to be here all day...STEE-RIKE!"

I guess Shingo's problem was that, in year 2, his pitches weren't even close enough to be called "sorta strikes."

FedEx227
11-29-2006, 12:33 AM
I have a theory about pitchers like Bradford, Byung Hyun Kim, and even Shingo: their deliveries are so bizarre, and the umpires are so astonished when the ball ends up anywhere near the plate, that they manage to get a pretty generous strike zone. I think the ump figures, "That's probably as close as this freakazoid is going to get, so unless I want to be here all day...STEE-RIKE!"

I guess Shingo's problem was that, in year 2, his pitches weren't even close enough to be called "sorta strikes."

I suppose that would work, but Bradford is known more as a groundball pitcher his career high K total is only 62.

While guys like Kim had 113 Ks in a season as relievers.

MUsoxfan
11-29-2006, 01:29 AM
Their rotation isn't all that bad... at least not as awful as you make it sound... they have a bit of fifth starter syndrom though. At least there's no more Lopez or Chen.

Erik Bedard
Kris Benson
Daniel Cabrera
Jaret Wright
Adam Loewen / Hayden Penn

It's minimally better than last year. Bedard is good, but no more than a 4/5 starter on a handful of teams. Cabrera has flashes of brilliance, but if I'm not mistaken spent a chunk of last year back in the minors. Wright is...well....nobody's sure. He may be better back with Leo.

caulfield12
11-29-2006, 06:33 AM
It's minimally better than last year. Bedard is good, but no more than a 4/5 starter on a handful of teams. Cabrera has flashes of brilliance, but if I'm not mistaken spent a chunk of last year back in the minors. Wright is...well....nobody's sure. He may be better back with Leo.

Bedard used to be a 4/5 until he came into his own this season. He pitched better than anyone on the White Sox the first half of the season and toyed with us in our match-ups. If he went on the market, he would get more interest than any of our starters, more than the beloved Jon Garland.

The Immigrant
11-29-2006, 09:16 AM
It sure seemed like every left-handed starter toyed with our White Sox last year.