PDA

View Full Version : Whatever did happen to Steve Bartman?

Fenway
11-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Last I heard of him was when ESPN stalked his house and workplace. Does he still live in Chicago? Has he ever been back to Wrigley Field?

I still can't believe how the Chicago media made his life into a living hell.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/031021_bartman.jpg

though if this had happened at Fenway Park somebody would have shot him by now

salty99
11-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Who cares?????????????????

Not this guy.

Palehose13
11-28-2006, 04:08 PM
No idea. I'm going to make sure I get on the horn right now and find out!

11-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Last I heard of him was when ESPN stalked his house and workplace. Does he still live in Chicago? Has he ever been back to Wrigley Field?

I still can't believe how the Chicago media made his life into a living hell.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/031021_bartman.jpg

though if this had happened at Fenway Park somebody would have shot him by now

He is still in Chicago....very well protected by Attorneys...I did read an artical on ESPN a year or so ago from a writer who did stalk him...Bartman was polite but basically said "I have been advised by my attorneys not to speak of this event"....the guy could have cashed in on this...book deals....commericals....apprearence on TV shows....but he went the road less traveled by and just layed low...95% of the world believes he did nothing wrong, but you gotta worry about that 5% that think he was at fault and want his head.

Chip Z'nuff
11-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Memories :) Light the corners of my mind, Misty water-colored memories...

lakeviewsoxfan
11-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Bartman was/is nothing but the medias whipping boy, the real culprit as all baseball fans know is Alex Gonzalez who booted a routine DP Ball.

Fenway
11-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Bartman was/is nothing but the medias whipping boy, the real culprit as all baseball fans know is Alex Gonzalez who booted a routine DP Ball.

Bartman was like the rest of us a baseball fan who loved his team.

The reality is 99% of fans totally zone out when they see a ball coming at them in the stands. I don't think Alou makes the play anyways. I feel for the guy.

Chip Z'nuff
11-28-2006, 04:26 PM
I wonder if Ozzie would be Sox Manager if it wasn't for Bartman?

Mr.1Dog
11-28-2006, 04:27 PM
If my memory serves me properly, didn't a member of WSI see him at a Sox game this past summer or the summer of 05?

chisoxmike
11-28-2006, 04:29 PM
:whocares

NonetheLoaiza
11-28-2006, 04:39 PM
The only reason I would ever hope the Cubs to win the World Series would be to hopefully make his life a little easier. Then, maybe he could cash in a little from his years of being a whipping boy by the media.

norsepalehoser
11-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Bartman was on The best damn sports show a little while ago, and someone posted that they saw him at a sox game earlier this year.

Trav
11-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Just wait until the cubs are officially eliminated from the playoffs next year. I'm sure the cubune will be doing another article on him and what could have been...:rolleyes:

areilly
11-28-2006, 05:35 PM
I worked at the same company as Bartman until May of this year and would see him around the office and out at various social functions. He seems to have gotten over everything. And he still loves the Cubs.

DumpJerry
11-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Hendry offered him $100,000,000 to stay away for 10 years.

chaerulez
11-28-2006, 05:46 PM
I wonder if Ozzie would be Sox Manager if it wasn't for Bartman?

If you are implying Ozzie only got consideration for the Sox job because the Marlins won it all, I'd have to disagree. Ozzie's name had been floating around that year after it was apparent that Manuel would be gone.

kevin57
11-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Hendry offered him $100,000,000 to stay away for 10 years.

The way Henry is spending money on talent he probably offered him $110,000,000 to play the outfield!

Goose
11-29-2006, 09:58 AM
The way Henry is spending money on talent he probably offered him $110,000,000 to play the outfield!

I heard that Hanger throws around nickels like they are manhole covers!

:tongue:

dllrbll7
11-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Bartman was on The best damn sports show a little while ago, and someone posted that they saw him at a sox game earlier this year.

Ya I saw him at a game, seemed to be over it but overall an extremely nice guy. I felt really bad for him after talking to him because I could tell he was just a normal guy who loved the cubs.

I did hear recently that he had won that ticket and was at the game by himself.

was he really on the best damn sports show? I can't believe he would go on that after trying to hide for so long.

Baby Fisk
11-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Bartman's privacy should be respected. He didn't ask for any of this ****.

alohafri
11-29-2006, 11:46 AM

And Jesus Prior who couldn't get past both and close the door.

jenn2080
11-29-2006, 11:57 AM

Agreed. I could not believe when I woke up that morning they had announced his name all over the news. Unreal. That poor guy.

Mr.1Dog
11-29-2006, 11:59 AM
He was shacked up in Northbrook, at his parents house, and they had 24 hour police guard in front of his house. It was just really an uncalled for situation.

wilburaga
11-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Meanwhile, another game altering fan has moved on quite nicely.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/14/sports/baseball/14maier.html?ex=1302667200&en=3f1dfbfe4d4dc061&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

W

Railsplitter
11-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Bartman was a subject for "TheTop 5 Reasons You Can't Blame..."

DumpJerry
11-29-2006, 12:54 PM
I still don't get why the hatred was for Bartman only. Several guys were going for that ball and one of the others, not Bartman, wound up with it. The guy who got the ball managed to keep his name out of the media even though he sold it for a recipe. The guy who got it is a lawyer, maybe he threatened to sue anyone who published his name.

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2006, 01:24 PM
And Jesus Prior who couldn't get past both and close the door.Not to mention bonehead Dusty for not lifting Prior until it was way too late.

QCIASOXFAN
11-29-2006, 01:34 PM
I worked at the same company as Bartman until May of this year and would see him around the office and out at various social functions. He seems to have gotten over everything. And he still loves the Cubs.
:o: That is crazy.

AuroraSoxFan
11-29-2006, 01:37 PM
He was shacked up in Northbrook, at his parents house, and they had 24 hour police guard in front of his house. It was just really an uncalled for situation.

So there was a potentially violent situation that was created from a situation that occurred in the "friendly confines??" SHOCKING

Anyway, I always felt bad for the dude. Can't blame 98 plus years of failure on a guy that reached for a ball. Not so sure Alou would have caught it anyway. Really is sad that he had to deal with so much over a damn ball.

The morons in DET who threw full beers at players didn't have to deal with any of that even though it kicked off a brawl. Wasn't there an instance in NY w/ fans throwing batteries too? I also recall an iceball that whacked a ref upside the head incredibly hard. (i think that was NY too). None of those idiots had to go through what Bartman did and all he did was reach for a damn ball.

kittle42
11-29-2006, 01:55 PM
He's eating dinner with hangar.

house215
11-29-2006, 04:42 PM
He still lives up in the northern suburbs. He actually lives a few blocks from my parents and they see him every now and again at church.

Oblong
11-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Bartman and Buckner are very good examples to tell if someone really knows what they are talking about. If the person blames either of them for something, then you know right away to disregard anything else they say.

I remember being very upset when this happened because of how he was treated. It's when I realized that many/most of the Cub fans I saw on TV were a bunch of idiots. I remember Lester Munson in particular. That was very irresponsible on the media's part. This guy's life was in danger.

TommyJohn
11-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Bartman and Buckner are very good examples to tell if someone really knows what they are talking about. If the person blames either of them for something, then you know right away to disregard anything else they say.

I remember being very upset when this happened because of how he was treated. It's when I realized that many/most of the Cub fans I saw on TV were a bunch of idiots. I remember Lester Munson in particular. That was very irresponsible on the media's part. This guy's life was in danger.

Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers what a complete SOB
Lester Munson has been to the guy. Munson just truly deserves to, I don't
know. Experience something similar. He is just being a king****, schoolyard
bully about it. I'd love to see a bigger guy get in Munson's face about it.

And don't get me started on Mariotti. You can't count the number of
uncalled-for cheap shots he has taken at Bartman. He's a prick, but I
think we knew that already.

I think it has to do with looks. If Bartman looked less like Woody Allen and
more like James Bond, I don't think he would have to put up with half of this
garbage. Then again, there is Buckner, so I could be wrong. However, I
think that Lester Munson's bullying threats, Jay Mariotti's obsession
and Harry Tinybrain's attitude have to do with the fact that he is this
small nerdy guy who won't fight back. (Full disclosure: I am a small, nerdy
guy very similar in build to Bartman, so before any Armchair Freudian Expert
suggests it, feeling smart while doing so; yes I feel a kinship.) Seriously,
if he were some huge jock type I wonder if their attitude would be different.

UofCSoxFan
11-29-2006, 09:39 PM
What is NEVER brought up (besides the error of a gold glove calliber ss on a double play ball, a stud pitcher falling apart, dusty leaving him in too long, and the fact that the Cubs also blew the lead in game 7) is that if the umpire, who was 4 feet away, thought that Alou would have caught the ball had fans not interfered, he could have called the batter out. A sox game ended this year that way.

I mean seriously, what is the guy suppossed to do, watch as the ball comes down towards his head, keep his hands at his side, and let the ball doink him in the head, when Alou can't reach it? It's not like he interfered with a double down the line or anything.

jdm2662
11-29-2006, 10:19 PM
What is NEVER brought up (besides the error of a gold glove calliber ss on a double play ball, a stud pitcher falling apart, dusty leaving him in too long, and the fact that the Cubs also blew the lead in game 7) is that if the umpire, who was 4 feet away, thought that Alou would have caught the ball had fans not interfered, he could have called the batter out. A sox game ended this year that way.

I mean seriously, what is the guy suppossed to do, watch as the ball comes down towards his head, keep his hands at his side, and let the ball doink him in the head, when Alou can't reach it? It's not like he interfered with a double down the line or anything.

Fan interference could have not been called in this case. Once the ball is in the stands, it's fair game for the fans. When it's still in the field of play, which was the case in that Sox-Minne game, fan interference can be called. And, it was called rightfully so.

MRM
11-29-2006, 11:23 PM
Who cares?

Bill Naharodny
11-30-2006, 12:45 AM
So there was a potentially violent situation that was created from a situation that occurred in the "friendly confines??" SHOCKING

Anyway, I always felt bad for the dude. Can't blame 98 plus years of failure on a guy that reached for a ball. Not so sure Alou would have caught it anyway. Really is sad that he had to deal with so much over a damn ball.

Bartman was a big Cub fan, right? Well, no wonder he went for the ball. I'm sure he was surprised to see "Half-Speed" Alou anywhere near the wall, actually exerting effort to catch a fly ball.

minutia
11-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Steve Bartman, the goat for the new millennium.

minutia
11-30-2006, 11:01 AM

Thank you, no one ever remembers that the Cubs had a whole other game to play that they lost. Plus, ir that team had any kind of leadership or coaching, a visit would have been made to the mound to calm Prior down or pull him. I realize that there bullpen has always been thin but Prior was young and very riled up. A manager out there saying "hey, let it go, you can get this guy out" could have made all of the difference.

miker
11-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Never underestimate the media's ability and constant desire to make someone's life a living hell.

This incident should tell you everything you need to know about the press, Cubs fans and human behavior.

TommyJohn
11-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Never underestimate the media's ability and constant desire to make someone's life a living hell.

This incident should tell you everything you need to know about the press, Cubs fans and human behavior.

None of it good.

But I won't say all, just "some." Unfortunately, those "some" make all the
difference.

Chip Z'nuff
11-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Heres a steve bartman interview.... NOT!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmb9QccZwuI

itsnotrequired
11-30-2006, 12:38 PM
I saw Steve Bartman at the local Arby's having a sit down with a lobster and an outer space potato monster. They all appeared to be deep in conversation so I continued on to my destination.

Frater Perdurabo
11-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Heres a steve bartman interview.... NOT!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmb9QccZwuI

Thanks for making my day!

:rolling:

RealFan
12-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Though I agree with everyone that Bartman is not to be blamed for the Cubs eventual collapse that season, I do differ on one issue. Most Sox fans (that I know) would NOT have zoned out if that ball was hit to them and they were sitting down the line. In that very same season, a similar play occurred at Fenway and ESPN carried footage that clearly showed a number of Red Sox fans backing away from the ball to let one of their players make a catch over the seats in foul territory.

If Bartman had been a kid, I would 100% agree with everyone on this post. But the fact that he was/is a diehard fan suggest that he should have known better.

However, for anyone to lay that season's eventual demise at the feet of Bartman is cruel and illogical. As pointed out by everyone else, Baker was outmanaged, and Gonzales should have turned a DP to get the Flubs out of their "situation."

NonetheLoaiza
12-01-2006, 11:54 AM
But the fact that he was/is a diehard fan suggest that he should have known better.

Seriously? Just because you might be a die hard fan doesn't mean you have the innate sense to back away from a ball that is going into the stands right at you. Different people react differently, especially if a foul ball is coming right at you, with 4 other people reaching over you doing the same thing. Because hes a die hard Cubs fan means he should have gone into the game thinking, 'if a ball comes near me, and has a chance to be caught, i should back away from it'? I disagree.

dllrbll7
12-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Seriously? Just because you might be a die hard fan doesn't mean you have the innate sense to back away from a ball that is going into the stands right at you. Different people react differently, especially if a foul ball is coming right at you, with 4 other people reaching over you doing the same thing. Because hes a die hard Cubs fan means he should have gone into the game thinking, 'if a ball comes near me, and has a chance to be caught, i should back away from it'? I disagree.

Everyone seems to forget that at wrigley the stands are ~5' off the field, so in no way would Alou have been in his field of vision.

RealFan
12-01-2006, 05:00 PM

Do you remember that kid who leaned over the railing in New York and interfered with what was eventually called a Yankees HR about seven or eight years ago? That was what woke me up to fans in the first row and their ability to influence a game.

So do I think that a diehard fan like Bartman should have been more aware of both, his surroundings and the nuances of the game - absolutely. As I said, ESPN ran a clip of a Red Sox playoff game before the Bartman incident which clearly showed a row of Red Sox fans backing away from the railing to allow a catch to be made in their favor. And they are just as close to the field as the fans are in Wrigley.

But let's be clear here - Bartman is not to blame for what happened to the Cubs. That goes to Baker, Prior, Gonzales, etc.

Oblong
12-01-2006, 05:52 PM
I haven't seen the footage in a long time but weren't there other fans going after it too? I remember thinking that at the time.

Trav
12-01-2006, 09:10 PM
I haven't seen the footage in a long time but weren't there other fans going after it too? I remember thinking that at the time.

You are correct. Also, wasn't he listening to the game on his walkman? Wouldn't he be hearing the play by play telling him that Alou was making a play on the ball? I don't buy all that "you would reach for it too" crap. Maybe in a game that doesn't mean anything, you may not be paying close attention to the situation and everything. But not here, no way. If you are a fan, you get out of the way and you try and give your guy the easiest play possible.

Hokiesox
12-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Fan interference could have not been called in this case. Once the ball is in the stands, it's fair game for the fans. When it's still in the field of play, which was the case in that Sox-Minne game, fan interference can be called. And, it was called rightfully so.

This is 100% correct. Once the ball is in the stands, the fans have a right to the ball. A players momentum can carry him into the stands to make the play, but if a fan touches it, too bad for the player.

FedEx227
12-01-2006, 11:30 PM

Yes, there were plently of people. I remember hearing in an interview the guy next to him saying he was glad Bartman had hit it, because this guy's hand was right below his and he would've been turned into the scapegoat.

RadioheadRocks
12-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Yes, there were plently of people. I remember hearing in an interview the guy next to him saying he was glad Bartman had hit it, because this guy's hand was right below his and he would've been turned into the scapegoat.

The epitome of class, wouldn't you say? :rolleyes:

TommyJohn
12-02-2006, 04:53 PM

And then Jay Mariotti would obsess over him and Lester Munson would've
threatened to kill him instead of Bartman.

NonetheLoaiza
12-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Do you remember that kid who leaned over the railing in New York and interfered with what was eventually called a Yankees HR about seven or eight years ago? That was what woke me up to fans in the first row and their ability to influence a game.

So do I think that a diehard fan like Bartman should have been more aware of both, his surroundings and the nuances of the game - absolutely. As I said, ESPN ran a clip of a Red Sox playoff game before the Bartman incident which clearly showed a row of Red Sox fans backing away from the railing to allow a catch to be made in their favor. And they are just as close to the field as the fans are in Wrigley.

But let's be clear here - Bartman is not to blame for what happened to the Cubs. That goes to Baker, Prior, Gonzales, etc.

You make a good point, but I just think that these things are hit and miss, so to speak. You could be prepared for the situation, but you never know what is going to happen until it happens. The wind could have blown that ball back towards the field of play, and at first, it looked like it was headed right for him, but then drifted more towards the field. That ball was in the stands, and it's up to Alou to catch it, not for Bartman to realize that he shouldn't. I understand where you are coming from, though.

WhiteSox5187
12-03-2006, 05:01 AM
There is a milli-second delay on a radio broadcast to what's happening in the field, so like, you can be listening to the game at the game and there will be a slight delay. I think this idea of "Oh, smart fans should back off" there comes a part where instinct takes over. Some people's instinct is to back away from a ball coming at them, for other people it's to put their hands up. I consider myself a very die hard fan of the White Sox, but in a pre-Bartman era I would have put my hands out too. Now after Bartman in any critical game I think it's in everybody's heads, especially in Chicago, don't reach for it!!

Poor Bartman. People tend to forget that there was another game after that. And shame on the Tribune for printing his name! It was the Tribune that first printed it as I recall.

TommyJohn
12-03-2006, 10:07 AM
There is a milli-second delay on a radio broadcast to what's happening in the field, so like, you can be listening to the game at the game and there will be a slight delay. I think this idea of "Oh, smart fans should back off" there comes a part where instinct takes over. Some people's instinct is to back away from a ball coming at them, for other people it's to put their hands up. I consider myself a very die hard fan of the White Sox, but in a pre-Bartman era I would have put my hands out too. Now after Bartman in any critical game I think it's in everybody's heads, especially in Chicago, don't reach for it!!

Poor Bartman. People tend to forget that there was another game after that. And shame on the Tribune for printing his name! It was the Tribune that first printed it as I recall.

It was actually the Sun-Times.

RealFan
12-03-2006, 05:12 PM
It was actually the Sun-Times.

You are both wrong. His name was on the radio and TV that very same night. As for which paper printed his name first, it was the Tribune.