PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Cubs after Jason Schmidt

DaveIsHere
11-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Heard on 670 that the Cubs may have offered hin 3-years $44 Mil.

That is nuts for an injury waiting to happen. Will fit into the rotation throwing towels I am sure, along with jacking up the free agent market.

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 12:36 PM
When is the insanity going to stop? The Cubs have ruined the marketplace with their We-Are-Desperate-Franchise signings ........ could take years for the market to settle now. $14 Million dollars a year ....... why wouldnt he take it? EASY MONEY. Put the uniform on, get free drinks all season ....
Freaking ridiculous

spiffie
11-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Heard on 670 that the Cubs may have offered hin 3-years $44 Mil.

That is nuts for an injury waiting to happen. Will fit into the rotation throwing towels I am sure, along with jacking up the free agent market.
FWIW, I saw the rumor in the SF Gate today as well, with the same numbers. If you're going to go and spend all that cash on Lee, Soriano, and Ramirez for your offense, you best have some pitching with it, and Schmidt would greatly help that rotation. Zambrano, Schmidt, Hill would be a decent 1-3, if they get one more arm who can give them any sort of solid year the Cubs might actually have a shot in the NL Central.

CaptainBallz
11-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Is there a point where other GMs are allowed to intervene and take out the loose cannon?

:KW

"Let's Roll...."

Sox Fan 35
11-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Its a good thing our GM isn't dumb enough to offer contracts like this.

11-28-2006, 12:44 PM
His better years are behind him, but he is a solid 2 or 3 starter. I've had him on my fantasy team the past 2 years and I have been dissapointed

chisoxmike
11-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Ugh.

getonbckthr
11-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Zambrano, Schmidt and Hill is a solid 1-3 then you throw in Wade Miller and Prior who if healthy are dominant. The only question is Prior and Miller aren't healthy who 4-5 Marshall, Rusch ................

QCIASOXFAN
11-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Who aren't these pukes after.:o:

soxfan13
11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
When is the insanity going to stop? The Cubs have ruined the marketplace with their We-Are-Desperate-Franchise signings ........ could take years for the market to settle now. $14 Million dollars a year ....... why wouldnt he take it? EASY MONEY. Put the uniform on, get free drinks all season ....
Freaking ridiculous

The Yankees and the Red Sox have been doing this for years. Why is it a problem when the Cubs start doing it?

ChiSoxGirl
11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
This has really reached the point of stupid. It's like one overpriced deal after another for this organization, but I guess when they figure it probably won't be their money at the end of the day (because of the impending sale of the Cubs & Tribune Co.), they're not seeing the money as an object.

By the same token, the Cubs haven't played in October since 2003, so haven't they sat back & seen the Yankees put on a fine display of how money and a high payroll doesn't buy a championship? They can have all the big-name players in the league, but when it comes right down to it, big names don't necessarily translate to chemistry on the field and in the clubhouse. If that's the case, their lack of chemistry will get them nowhere except where they've been for so long- last place.

CHISOXFAN13
11-28-2006, 01:04 PM
This has really reached the point of stupid. It's like one overpriced deal after another for this organization, but I guess when they figure it probably won't be their money at the end of the day (because of the impending sale of the Cubs & Tribune Co.), they're not seeing the money as an object.

By the same token, the Cubs haven't played in October since 2003, so haven't they sat back & seen the Yankees put on a fine display of how money and a high payroll doesn't buy a championship? They can have all the big-name players in the league, but when it comes right down to it, big names don't necessarily translate to chemistry on the field and in the clubhouse. If that's the case, their lack of chemistry will get them nowhere except where they've been for so long- last place.

Unfortunately, the Cubs are competing in a division that took only 83 wins to win it. Like it or not, these moves make them the team to beat in the NL Central.

I'm not going to sit here and bitch about them throwing money around either. There's no rule against it, so it's all sour grapes if you ask me.

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 01:07 PM
The Yankees and the Red Sox have been doing this for years. Why is it a problem when the Cubs start doing it?

Because its just one more team doing it. The Yankees and RedSox do more out of rivalry between each other. With another team doing it, now youve got guys who are "average" pitchers making Roger Clemens money .......

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Unfortunately, the Cubs are competing in a division that took only 83 wins to win it. Like it or not, these moves make them the team to beat in the NL Central.

I'm not going to sit here and bitch about them throwing money around either. There's no rule against it, so it's all sour grapes if you ask me.

Hey, if they sign Schmidt, they are the NL Central winners. they have to play it out, but who is going to stop them? Cincinnati? HAHAHAHA. Pittsburgh? Thats 30 wins right there ..........

Luke
11-28-2006, 01:13 PM
That certainly pumps up the trade value on one of our starters. I think Kenny is just sitting back waiting to see what chips fall.

soxfan13
11-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Because its just one more team doing it. The Yankees and RedSox do more out of rivalry between each other. With another team doing it, now youve got guys who are "average" pitchers making Roger Clemens money .......

But every SINGLE quote of yours on this topic blames the Cubs for spiraling salaries. Guess what? Its been happening for years except now more teams are involved. Thats just the way it is.

DaleJRFan
11-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Zambrano, Schmidt and Hill is a solid 1-3 then you throw in Wade Miller and Prior who if healthy are dominant. The only question is Prior and Miller aren't healthy who 4-5 Marshall, Rusch ................

Glendon Rusch won't be pitching this season, I don't think. He has a nerve problem that surfaced last year and he needs a year's worth of time off & rehab. Maybe the story changed, but I remember reading this last year and even saw an interview with him about it.

If the Cubs can sign Schmidt, their rotation will be pretty good, if not dominant in the NL central... Zambrano, Schmidt, Hill, Prior/Miller/Marshall. And they have a pretty good bullpen too.

But 14 million?? Good. Thanks a bunch, Jim Hnedry. Let the Scrubs drive up the price of starting pitching. All this will do is make Garcia, Vazquez and maybe even Buehrle more valuable in trade.

cbrownson13
11-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Really, those numbers aren't all that rediculous for this market. If Adam Eaton is getting 8 mil/year don't you think Schmidt is at least worth 12-13 mil/year?

Hell, Carlos Lee got one of the premier contracts in the league and has never hit more than 40HR's. Is that even considered a premier power hitter in this era?

You can't blame the Cubs for trying to improve their team by giving away big contracts. The White Sox are lucky enough to have some pretty good contracts on their team compared to what players are getting now. However, if the White Sox had a staff like the Cubs do and were in need of pitching, I would be all for signing Schmidt at that price rather than signing someone like Adam Eaton or Lilly for what he's asking for. (9mil/year)

infohawk
11-28-2006, 01:58 PM
If you ask me (and none of you have:D:) the greatest competitive asset a team can have in this kind of inflated, money-crazed market is roster flexibility due to reasonable contracts. Spending huge dollars can greatly increase a team's chances to win now, but there is a sense of immediacy before the contracts (many of which are backloaded) become tremendous liabilities that can hamstring a team for years. If for whatever reason a team underperforms in the first season or two after taking on these huge contracts, not only does their window close, but they can have significant problems making necessary changes because the contracts can be impediments. I like the way KW is proceeding. He's following the Brave's model of being able to turn over your roster as needed. A team like the Sox will be in a great financial position to benefit from bad contracts offered by other teams when KW acquires a player via trade and the other team picks up half of the remaining contract amount. Think Contreras and Thome. In my opinion, the more bad contracts there are now, the more it will benefit the 2008 - 2010 Chicago White Sox.

D. TODD
11-28-2006, 01:58 PM
He is defiantly what they need with that pitching staff with what's available, and with the market what it is that price does not surprise me that much. Javy & Freddy should bring in a good haul on the trade market, and if the Angels rumor goes through you can count on both of them being traded I believe.

WizardsofOzzie
11-28-2006, 02:03 PM
The real question is, how much are ticket prices going to go up at Wrigley with all this money being dished out by the cubs. Someone has to pay for it, and it usually starts with the fans.

SoxxoS
11-28-2006, 02:16 PM
This is called "pumping money into the franchise at no cost to the Tribune because they are just generating a buzz to sell the team and wont have to pay these contracts all the way through anyway" approach.

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 02:21 PM
But every SINGLE quote of yours on this topic blames the Cubs for spiraling salaries.

I blame the Cubs for re-energizing the spiraling salaries THIS YEAR

soxfan13
11-28-2006, 02:23 PM
I blame the Cubs for re-energizing the spiraling salaries THIS YEAR

Do you honestly think this wouldnt have happened without the Cubs paying Soriano because Soriano would have gotten that money somewhere else then.

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 02:25 PM
In my opinion, the more bad contracts there are now, the more it will benefit the 2008 - 2010 Chicago White Sox.

interesting ......

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Do you honestly think this wouldnt have happened without the Cubs paying Soriano because Soriano would have gotten that money somewhere else then.

......... I honestly believe the Astros would NOT have paid $100 Million for Carlos Lee ........ the Cubs in just a few signings, have raised the bar.

Jason Schmidt .....is he really worth $14 Million dollars a year?

Anyone that Kenny will want this offseason, hes going to have to overspend is my fear

ChiSoxlukes
11-28-2006, 02:28 PM
This is fine by me. The Cubs get a guy who is injury prone annnnnnnnnddddd
it makes Zito worth about 16-18 million. That means that Freddy Garcia or Vazquez or Buehrle just became even bigger trade bait. I expect KW to get a starting everyday player, a good bullpen guy, and a future starting pitcher with one of those guys.

Ol' No. 2
11-28-2006, 02:30 PM
......... I honestly believe the Astros would NOT have paid $100 Million for Carlos Lee ........ the Cubs in just a few signings, have raised the bar.

Anyone that Kenny will want this offseason, hes going to have to overspend is my fearTime to change the tinfoil, Henry.

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Time to change the tinfoil, Henry.

your right ...... not sure Why I (and other mlb owners apparently) was so shocked at the 8 years, $136 Million given to Soriano

soxfan13
11-28-2006, 02:35 PM
your right ...... not sure Why I (and other mlb owners apparently) was so shocked at the 8 years, $136 Million given to Soriano

You must have talked to every owner huh?

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 02:36 PM
You must have talked to every owner huh?

Take my word for it, they werent happy

soxfan13
11-28-2006, 02:38 PM

I guess I must take your word for it because if they were so unhappy . They would have put a stop to it there and not pay what they did for Lee and Matthews

Craig Grebeck
11-28-2006, 02:41 PM
I'd rather not. Where were you last year when J.P. Ricciardi was handing out insane contracts? Oh, blaming the Cubs for third world hunger I'd presume.

areilly
11-28-2006, 02:42 PM
They're overpaying, but I agree that signing Schmidt would give them the best on-paper chance at the NL Central. The Cardinals won the division last year with what was basically a one-man rotation and I don't foresee them getting stupid this offseason, nor do I see El Caballo carrying the Astros either.

Hangar18
I guess I must take your word for it because if they were so unhappy . They would have put a stop to it there and not pay what they did for Lee and Matthews

.........OR, in a more likely scenario, they would realize they would now be Forced to pay higher prices at the Pump, regardless.

caulfield12
If you ask me (and none of you have:D:) the greatest competitive asset a team can have in this kind of inflated, money-crazed market is roster flexibility due to reasonable contracts. Spending huge dollars can greatly increase a team's chances to win now, but there is a sense of immediacy before the contracts (many of which are backloaded) become tremendous liabilities that can hamstring a team for years. If for whatever reason a team underperforms in the first season or two after taking on these huge contracts, not only does their window close, but they can have significant problems making necessary changes because the contracts can be impediments. I like the way KW is proceeding. He's following the Brave's model of being able to turn over your roster as needed. A team like the Sox will be in a great financial position to benefit from bad contracts offered by other teams when KW acquires a player via trade and the other team picks up half of the remaining contract amount. Think Contreras and Thome. In my opinion, the more bad contracts there are now, the more it will benefit the 2008 - 2010 Chicago White Sox.

Thome, but we're not getting anything like half for Contreras or Vazquez.

The only player we might have to subsidize in a trade at this point MIGHT be Uribe...3 years ago, the contract most Sox fans were concerned with was Konerko, but that obviously changed.

soxfan13
11-28-2006, 02:44 PM
.........OR, in a more likely scenario, they would realize they would now be Forced to pay higher prices at the Pump, regardless.

You are just wrong. Like I said before the Cubs payed up but if they didnt someone else would have.

caulfield12
11-28-2006, 02:45 PM

Anyone that Kenny will want this offseason, hes going to have to overspend is my fear

Which is why he's only going to add a bullpen pitcher (or two) or back-up catcher...IF IF IF he doesn't add them through a trade of one of the starters.

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 02:45 PM
I'd rather not. Where were you last year when J.P. Ricciardi was handing out insane contracts? Oh, blaming the Cubs for third world hunger I'd presume.

Lets leave hunger out of this. Were there as many ridiculous contracts last year as this year? If you would've told me Juan Pierre was getting $45 Million this year, I wouldve laughed at you ........

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Which is why he's only going to add a bullpen pitcher (or two) or back-up catcher...IF IF IF he doesn't add them through a trade of one of the starters.

and thats fine ..... spend wisely. But where is that line drawn, between spend wisely/dont spend at all. Can you imagine if Konerkos contract were up this year instead of last year?

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 02:50 PM
You are just wrong. Like I said before the Cubs payed up but if they didnt someone else would have.

Supposedly, the max offered him, was about $100M by the Giants .....
that was blown out of the water obviously .....

soxfan13
11-28-2006, 02:51 PM
and thats fine ..... spend wisely. But where is that line drawn, between spend wisely/dont spend at all. Can you imagine if Konerkos contract were up this year instead of last year?

It is drawn where the owners decide to draw it. Nobody had twisted these teams arms into paying these prices. Dont say the Cubs did.

soxfan13
11-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Supposedly, the max offered him, was about $100M by the Giants .....
that was blown out of the water obviously .....

How many years? Supposedly the Cubs offered 2 more years.

caulfield12
11-28-2006, 03:14 PM

Then they would cut their losses and do the same thing they did with Magglio or C-Lee. At some point, a player is no longer beneficial to retain from a cost/benefit analysis perspective. This might happen with Dye, with Crede, with Buehrle or Garcia.

Only KW knows what that number or line that can't be crossed ultimately is....last year, we were led to believe Garland or Contreras were going to bolt (or at least the one that didn't sign first) and we got both under contract.

That says something about players wanting to stick around and be a part of this organization. It also gives us the edge when it comes down to $5-10 million on a $50-100 million contract and the White Sox are the more competitive team, better media market/endorsements and Ozzie's presence.

The way KW operates, I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Crede signed an extension tomorrow. I also wouldn't be surprised if Crede was no longer with the Sox tomorrow.

He's made almost all the right moves in the last three seasons or so, I'm willing to wait until January before making premature evaluations of the offseason.

chisoxmike
11-28-2006, 03:26 PM
The real question is, how much are ticket prices going to go up at Wrigley with all this money being dished out by the cubs. Someone has to pay for it, and it usually starts with the fans.

They already said there will be NO ticket increase in 2007.

Hitmen77
11-28-2006, 03:44 PM
They're overpaying, but I agree that signing Schmidt would give them the best on-paper chance at the NL Central. The Cardinals won the division last year with what was basically a one-man rotation and I don't foresee them getting stupid this offseason, nor do I see El Caballo carrying the Astros either.

Why not? I would think that franchise is getting a huge infusion of cash with the new ballpark and the World Series win.

PennStater98r
11-28-2006, 04:09 PM

I just don't agree with this at all. The Cardinals have yet to make a single move, and they are the World Champs. Before you cite the 83 wins the Cards had to take their division - their team got everyone healthy right about the time that the playoffs started. I still think the Cardinals are the team to beat in the NL Central.

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 04:20 PM
I still think the Cardinals are the team to beat in the NL Central.

No offense ..... but I think the Cardinals are phonier than a $3 bill.
Everyone in that division is phony ...

munchman33
11-28-2006, 06:15 PM
No offense ..... but I think the Cardinals are phonier than a $3 bill.
Everyone in that division is phony ...

But they signed Kip Wells....

Beer Can Chicken
11-28-2006, 07:43 PM
If I was a Cubs fan and the Cubs sign Schmidt to top off the deals they already inked, I'd be pretty darn excited for 2007.
I'm sure a couple of these deals will backfire in a couple of years but if you win once its all worth it.

Beer Can Chicken
11-28-2006, 07:52 PM
This is called "pumping money into the franchise at no cost to the Tribune because they are just generating a buzz to sell the team and wont have to pay these contracts all the way through anyway" approach.

I think this is actually a good theory but with a bit of a different angle. The Cubs don't need a 'buzz', they are already one of the most popular teams in MLB, they will have PLENTY of suitors. I think the Tribune was planning on selling in the next couple of years anyway. They are pretty much going all out now by spending as much $$$ as possible. If the Cubs succeed the Tribune Co. wins and can keep the team or sell for huge profits. If they dont win they sell the team as they were planning to do anyway and leave the new owner to deal with the ridiculous contracts.

veeter
11-28-2006, 09:05 PM
I don't care who the cubs sign, they'll never win.

Lip Man 1
11-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Hangar:

Regarding your comments about MLB salaries going up, the bottom line is if the Sox want to contend they pay the piper...period. They get the players they have to to try to win.

If an ownership change is needed to run with the 'big dogs' then so be it.

Survival of the fittest Henry, that's life.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
11-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Hangar:

Regarding your comments about MLB salaries going up, the bottom line is if the Sox want to contend they pay the piper...period. They get the players they have to to try to win.

If an ownership change is needed to run with the 'big dogs' then so be it.

Survival of the fittest Henry, that's life.

Lip

Lip, I understand that the Sox - just as any other team that wishes to contend - will have to pay more money to their players. It's there just aren't many players on the free agent market this year that would significantly improve the Sox.

Would Zito look nice in pinstripes? Yes, but is he that much better than Buehrle (especially since Zito has seen his numbers helped by the fact that he's pitched half his starts in a pitcher-friendly park)?

I wouldn't want Soriano on the Sox even at half the annual salary for half the number of years as he just signed with the Cubs.

Schmidt? Too injury-prone. I prefer the upside of the current Sox starters.

Are there any iron-clad, rock-solid relievers on the free-agent market?

I guess Greg Zaun would have been a very nice addition as a backup catcher.

The bottom line for me is that most of the players who I think could help the Sox the most would have to be acquired/pried away in a trade (Ichiro, Wells, A-Rod, Willis, Crawford, Young, etc.)

Hitmen77
11-29-2006, 08:21 AM
I know some of you guys have already handed the '07 NL Central crown to the Cubs, but can we just relax a bit and not spend the entire winter wetting our pants about that team on the North Side?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-061128cubs,1,2874549.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

WizardsofOzzie
11-29-2006, 09:38 AM
I know some of you guys have already handed the '07 NL Central crown to the Cubs, but can we just relax a bit and not spend the entire winter wetting our pants about that team on the North Side?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-061128cubs,1,2874549.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

Hmmmm, it was reported last night on ESPN that they indeed had offered a deal. Ohhhhh well