PDA

View Full Version : Zaun, Jays have deal: Report

Fenway
11-28-2006, 10:26 AM
The Blue Jays and catcher Gregg Zaun have capped a bizarre 24 hours by agreeing in principle Tuesday on a $7.25-million, two-year contract, according to the Canadian Press.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1164711546500&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064

Beautox
11-28-2006, 10:32 AM
...:(: If there was one position we have no depth at and i wanted KW to overspend, it was back up catcher. I would've loved to have Zaun locked up for 2 possibly even 3 years. If AJP goes down we have no one. Zaun destroys LHP .373AVG, he also had a 4.34CERA for '06 and 3.79CERA for '05.

DumpJerry
11-28-2006, 11:09 AM
...:(: If there was one position we have no depth at and i wanted KW to overspend, it was back up catcher. I would've loved to have Zaun locked up for 2 possibly even 3 years. If AJP goes down we have no one. Zaun destroys LHP .373AVG, he also had a 4.34CERA for '06 and 3.79CERA for '05.
:tool
Don't forget, I have to approve all contracts. Isn't that right, Mr. Kuhn?
:reinsy
It's good to have friends in high places.
:sopranos
We know the value of friendship.

Beautox
11-28-2006, 11:29 AM
:tongue:

CLR01
11-28-2006, 11:35 AM

The Sox don't need to be paying a bu catcher $3.5 million/year.

Chisox003
11-28-2006, 11:49 AM
...:(: If there was one position we have no depth at and i wanted KW to overspend, it was back up catcher.
What's so hard to understand about that?

chaerulez
11-28-2006, 12:23 PM

Zaun hits LHPs very well. Of course I wouldn't do a strict platoon when we have AJP, but at least once a week against a LHP putting Zaun would be nice as AJP would have to sit anyway due to the position. And being that catcher is a very physically demanding position what are the Sox options if AJP goes down for a couple weeks or even more? I don't think paying a backup catcher 3 million a year for 3 years would've hurt the Sox so much that they become financally strapped. After all, basically that's a veteran relief pitchers salary.

Beautox
11-28-2006, 12:31 PM

The Sox don't need to be paying a bu catcher $3.5 million/year.

I don't think paying a back up catcher that could start on most teams, who calls a very good game and destroys LHP and is great insurance if AJP goes down is such a horrible idea.

The white sox faced more LHP than any other team in MLB, and we were pretty ineffective against them, a platoon of AJP and Zaun would put up a line like this.

338/.418/.554 with 15-20HRs thats Joe Mauer/Brian McCann territory.

and there combinded CERA for '05 3.76 and '06 4.40.

Also Zaun could platoon with Thome against LHP, so he could be very useful too us.

caulfield12
11-28-2006, 12:35 PM

If you had to choose, though, would you put that $10 million (theoretically available) into a back-up catcher or two relievers?

The one luxury of an extra starter is the ability to deal that pitcher to fill a need...maybe KW will find someone he projects higher than Stewart when he pulls the trigger on a pitching deal.

Beautox
11-28-2006, 12:54 PM
If you had to choose, though, would you put that $10 million (theoretically available) into a back-up catcher or two relievers?

The one luxury of an extra starter is the ability to deal that pitcher to fill a need...maybe KW will find someone he projects higher than Stewart when he pulls the trigger on a pitching deal.

well your not going to get 2 relievers for 10mil, not in this market. But you could get a very good back up catcher/dh that destroys lhp and calls a very good game for 4.5mil.

You figure were going to have 10mil+ coming off the books next year just from a starter; add to it that we nearly had 3mil fans and the white sox are a hot ticket in Chicago with much of the season ticket holders renewing. We could easily afford a back up catcher/dh, that is a great insurance policy for AJP and would put the sox in a better position to win.

Chris Stewart is a great defensive catcher but isn't got to hit his weight(205) at the ML level, thats not acceptable.

The twins obviously got the memo, when they signed Redmond.

buehrle4cy05
11-28-2006, 04:45 PM
If the Sox were to sign Zaun...

Somber Signing

spiffie
11-28-2006, 05:24 PM

If Kenny spent $10 million on two relievers this board would explode with people complaining about how we overpaid.