PDA

View Full Version : If Reinsdorf moved the Sox to Mexico...

PaleHoseGeorge
03-06-2002, 07:50 PM
...what would you do?

doublem23
03-06-2002, 07:59 PM
Jeez... I don't know... I probably would become (at best), a passive baseball fan.. much like I am a passive hockey fan. I don't think I'd drop the sport completely because I do love it, but I doubt I could ever root for another team as zealously I do the Sox.

Probably, though, I'd most support the Cardinals because they are the Scrubbies' biggest rival.

Daver
03-06-2002, 08:01 PM
Hunting Jerry down with a laser sighted bow comes to mind..........

Paulwny
03-06-2002, 08:02 PM
PHG, you're either bored or you've been hitting the sauce.

Jerry_Manuel
03-06-2002, 08:03 PM
Think any die hards would move to Mexico?

doublem23
03-06-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
PHG, you're either bored or you've been hitting the sauce.

French fries are a harsh mistress... :D:

Lisa
03-06-2002, 08:04 PM
I'm with Daver - kill JR before he signs that deal.

Mexico? :?:

czalgosz
03-06-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Lisa
I'm with Daver - kill JR before he signs that deal.

Mexico? :?:

There has been talk in the past of moving a team to Mexico City, but there's a lot of problems with that, mainly with the economy of the area - there aren't a whole lot of people in Mexico City who could afford a $15 ticket. They still would probably do better than the Expos, IMO.

But I would still follow them, mainly because I don't live in Chicago any more. If I still lived in Illinois, I'm sure I'd have a much different perspective.

longshot7
03-06-2002, 08:09 PM
what about "move to mexico"?

Yo quiero taco bell.

Cheryl
03-06-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

There has been talk in the past of moving a team to Mexico City, but there's a lot of problems with that, mainly with the economy of the area - there aren't a whole lot of people in Mexico City who could afford a $15 ticket. They still would probably do better than the Expos, IMO.

There's lots of wealthy people in Mexico City. There's just more dirt poor ones. There's not much in between, and the really wealthy ones try to keep a low profile.

Me? Flyers. Cougars. Cheetahs. I probably wouldn't be more than a casual fan of any of them, but I'd go to more minor league games than I do now.

Daver
03-06-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

There's lots of wealthy people in Mexico City. There's just more dirt poor ones. There's not much in between, and the really wealthy ones try to keep a low profile.

Me? Flyers. Cougars. Cheetahs. I probably wouldn't be more than a casual fan of any of them, but I'd go to more minor league games than I do now.

Don't forget the Jackhammers,who will play their innaugral season this year.

Cheryl
03-06-2002, 08:34 PM
The new Joliet team? You're right, I forgot about them.

RedPinStripes
03-06-2002, 08:37 PM
I'd become a Cards Fan and still hate the Cubs. I think Daver's idea would be my fist action though. I have more detail to my plan though. I can't say anymore on this.

Streets
03-06-2002, 08:41 PM
Don't forget the new team coming into Gary, don't know the name of it yet.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-06-2002, 08:43 PM
I picked Mexico because I figured everyone who posts here would have to follow the team from long distance.

I'm surprised more fans wouldn't simply give up on MLB altogether.

Spiff
03-06-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I picked Mexico because I figured everyone who posts here would have to follow the team from long distance.

Hey there are some of us who already do...I've never even been to Comiskey.

czalgosz
03-06-2002, 08:49 PM

What made you think of such a scenario? Are you just looking for something to be angry about?

cheeses_h_rice
03-06-2002, 08:50 PM
For some reason, I'm never able to vote in these polls from my home computer (FWC has heard this lament before...can't figure it out).

Anyway, I'd still be a Sox fan, but I would probably start rooting more for the Brewers. I love Wisconsin (if I move anywhere, it'd be there), it's only 90 miles away, and they are in NL Central playing my most despised team many, many times a year.

:gulp:

Daver
03-06-2002, 08:54 PM

Giving up on the game because of the stupidity of an individual accomplishes nothing PHG,the team may be gone,but the game would live on.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-06-2002, 08:54 PM
What made you think of such a scenario? Are you just looking for something to be angry about?

There has been countless threads on the email list speculating on Reinsdorf's long-term "Mexico City Blanco Sox". It's strictly tongue-in-cheek. I want to see how many Sox fans would become Cubs fans or some other type of fan, or how many would simply give up baseball.

The other poll asked what you would do if you couldn't be a Sox fan. By definition, everyone here already is. My poll question asks Sox fans to pick what action they would take if the Sox moved far, far away.

As expected, the results are very different (i.e. nobody is picking up the Cubs as their new favorite team).

czalgosz
03-06-2002, 08:58 PM

There has been countless threads on the email list speculating on Reinsdorf's long-term "Mexico City Blanco Sox". It's strictly tongue-in-cheek. I want to see how many Sox fans would become Cubs fans or some other type of fan, or how many would simply give up baseball.

The other poll asked what you would do if you couldn't be a Sox fan. By definition, everyone here already is. My poll question asks Sox fans to pick what action they would take if the Sox moved far, far away.

As expected, the results are very different (i.e. nobody is picking up the Cubs as their new favorite team).

I see. Boy, If Reinsdorf is complaining about the fans in Chicago, imagine him talking about the fans in Mexico City -

:reinsy

Well, I would field a winning team, but apparently the people of Mexico City are more concerned with sustenance than fielding a championship baseball club! They must be crazy to think that I can compete on this income.

RedPinStripes
03-06-2002, 09:07 PM

I'm too much of a baseball freak to give up on it. I tried in 95 and that lasted a year. By the way George.......This is one F-ED up poll :D:

Spiff
03-06-2002, 09:09 PM

I see. Boy, If Reinsdorf is complaining about the fans in Chicago, imagine him talking about the fans in Mexico City -

Well, I would field a winning team, but apparently the people of Mexico City are more concerned with sustenance than fielding a championship baseball club! They must be crazy to think that I can compete on this income.

lol that is POTW material right there

PaleHoseGeorge
03-06-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I'm too much of a baseball freak to give up on it. I tried in 95 and that lasted a year. By the way George.......This is one F-ED up poll :D:

Oh sure, shoot the messenger! :smile:

"Okay, let's see... I keep roughly half of my original Sox fans, plus I pick up another 90 million Mexicans... 'Blanco Sox' has a nice ring to it!"

hsc1
03-06-2002, 11:12 PM
i guess i would take up residence in cancun and learn to se hablo espanol....hey at least its a valid excuse to put the house on the market and move out of the cold....lol....

FarWestChicago
03-06-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by hsc1
i guess i would take up residence in cancun and learn to se hablo espanol....hey at least its a valid excuse to put the house on the market and move out of the cold....lol.... LOL!! This is the best one I've heard yet. :D:

voodoochile
03-07-2002, 12:36 AM
VIVA LOS WHITE SOX!!!

How do you say "World Series Champions by the end of 2006" in Spanish?

bjmarte
03-07-2002, 01:08 AM
I probably would pay alot less attention to baseball overall. But I would probably root for the Cardinals, that way I could keep my hatred for the Cubs.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-07-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
VIVA LOS WHITE SOX!!!

How do you say "World Series Champions by the end of 2006" in Spanish?

Manos dice(says) :
:manos

"Campiones de Serie mundial al fin del ano 2006"
"Viva Los Medias Blancas!"

idseer
03-07-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Jeez... I don't know... I probably would become (at best), a passive baseball fan.. much like I am a passive hockey fan. I don't think I'd drop the sport completely because I do love it, but I doubt I could ever root for another team as zealously I do the Sox.

Probably, though, I'd most support the Cardinals because they are the Scrubbies' biggest rival.

i'm with dblM on this ... except for the cardinal part.

there would be no reason to follow the sox if they move imo. after all, the whole reason you become a fan (usually) is the hometown attraction. if they leave, what are they except a bunch of strangers from various parts of the world playing in some distant town. who cares????
i assume that those that would still follow them faithfully just love the name 'white sox'.

the game has already lost much of it's 'wonder' for me anyway after going thru all the crap (non-baseball) and changes over the last 30 or so years.

maybe if they came up with another chicago team, i'd begin all over, but with the cubs there i doubt that'd happen.

Soxboyrob
03-07-2002, 11:07 AM
I chose that I'd become a Cub fan, mostly because I have to be able to readily attend a team's games to really be a fan, and I doubt I'd want to commute to Mexico to attend games. I'm not a huge fan of Wrigley but I'd have to just deal with it.

Hey, wait a minute....why weren't one of the choices of teams to root for "whichever team is currently playing the Cubs?" Then, I could go to the Wrigley Urinal and root for a new favorite team every week or two.

voodoochile
03-07-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck

Manos dice(says) :
:manos

"Campiones de Serie mundial al fin del ano 2006"
"Viva Los Medias Blancas!"

Well then - What Manos Said...

voodoochile
03-07-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
I chose that I'd become a Cub fan, mostly because I have to be able to readily attend a team's games to really be a fan, and I doubt I'd want to commute to Mexico to attend games. I'm not a huge fan of Wrigley but I'd have to just deal with it.

Hey, wait a minute....why weren't one of the choices of teams to root for "whichever team is currently playing the Cubs?" Then, I could go to the Wrigley Urinal and root for a new favorite team every week or two.

We wouldn't have to commute to Mexico... We could wait for them to play the flubbies, the Brewers, the Toons, the Reds, the Tigers or the Royals...

I think being a fan goes deeper than rooting for the home team. It isn't just the love of the name White Sox, it is feeling connected to something greater than yourself. Feeling that when you scream louder, breath hard to the point of hyperventalating (during tense times), whip your remote at the TV, get the shakes during tense times and laugh so hard you cry after big wins - that you are part of the team in a way. I guess it comes down to the question - "What does it mean to be a fan?"

I know at the end of close Bears games, I am so wound up that I am physically shaking - well I used to be before Mikey and his boy Wanny ruined most of the experience. You have to live and die with your teams. The old 12th man in football isn't confined to home game, if you are a diehard fan...

Procol Harum
03-07-2002, 11:56 AM
If the Sox were to become the Ciudad Mexico El Blancos Soxos (geez, let's hope JR doesn't get wind of this sure-fire profit maker) there would about as much connection as there would've been with the St. Petersburg Sox (hey, maybe JR was really thinking of moving them to Russia...it's a domed stadium natural). I'd have to opt for the Brew Crew--It's much closer than St. Louis, Milwaukee is a nicer place to visit, Miller Park is a pretty swell venue and it's easier on the wallet than Comiskey (tickets and food run about 10-15% cheaper and parking is less than half Sox parking prices), and I could still root for them to beat the Scrubs. But then I start to think about the fact that I'd be giving the money to JR's love slave, Bud Selig, the beloved "commissioner" who is probably doing more than any one human to screw up the greatest game on Earth. Hey, those Detroit Tigers....
"Blast! The Sox would have OWNED the NW Russian and Baltic Republic markets by now..."

idseer
03-07-2002, 12:04 PM

I think being a fan goes deeper than rooting for the home team. It isn't just the love of the name White Sox, it is feeling connected to something greater than yourself. Feeling that when you scream louder, breath hard to the point of hyperventalating (during tense times), whip your remote at the TV, get the shakes during tense times and laugh so hard you cry after big wins - that you are part of the team in a way. I guess it comes down to the question - "What does it mean to be a fan?"

I know at the end of close Bears games, I am so wound up that I am physically shaking - well I used to be before Mikey and his boy Wanny ruined most of the experience. You have to live and die with your teams. The old 12th man in football isn't confined to home game, if you are a diehard fan...

i agree all those emotions are a part of being a fan. and that you live and die with your team. i guess i just feel that once they leave ... they're dead ... and so is my emotional attachment. i wonder how many la dodger fans are still residents of brooklyn?

the reason i can still be a fan and yet live in central pa is that chicago is and always will be my hometown rooting interest. but think about it ... what possible attachment could i still find as an absentee fan of a team that is no longer there?
i'd still love the game, but mostly to play it. not to watch immensely rich strangers play in some distant city in which i have no personal attachment.

i would guess everyone here who turned to another team may indeed follow that team, but i doubt they will ever have that same emotional attachment you described.

living here in state college i have become a nittany lion fan. you almost can't help it. but as much as i follow them now (along with my wife who IS a penn state fan since birth) they'll never mean anywhere near to me what notre dame does. and if ND disappeared ... i be nothing more than a casual college FB fan

voodoochile
03-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by idseer

i agree all those emotions are a part of being a fan. and that you live and die with your team. i guess i just feel that once they leave ... they're dead ... and so is my emotional attachment. i wonder how many la dodger fans are still residents of brooklyn?

the reason i can still be a fan and yet live in central pa is that chicago is and always will be my hometown rooting interest. but think about it ... what possible attachment could i still find as an absentee fan of a team that is no longer there?
i'd still love the game, but mostly to play it. not to watch immensely rich strangers play in some distant city in which i have no personal attachment.

i would guess everyone here who turned to another team may indeed follow that team, but i doubt they will ever have that same emotional attachment you described.

living here in state college i have become a nittany lion fan. you almost can't help it. but as much as i follow them now (along with my wife who IS a penn state fan since birth) they'll never mean anywhere near to me what notre dame does. and if ND disappeared ... i be nothing more than a casual college FB fan

All valid points. I don't know how long I would stay a diehard fan if the Sox moved far away. Eventually my interest would wane and I would only follow them casually, I am sure. Baseball has been trying to kill of my interest for a long time. That would eventually be the final straw... Hopefully they Sox can redo the stadium, get a serious marketing plan together and the team can finally finish a 5 year plan... I remain optimistic, but who knows what darkness lurks in the heart of JR?

:KW
"I do, but I'll never tell, because I am the pet poodle holding the bag."

RedPinStripes
03-07-2002, 12:44 PM
If the Sox were to move to Mexico, I could never be a fan because that is what would make me boycott anthing that has to do with riensdorf. Similar to what some Sox fans have already done.

RedPinStripes
03-07-2002, 12:46 PM
Just imagine if JR saw this thread.............

"You fans ARE idiots!!!!!"

Paulwny
03-07-2002, 01:30 PM

All valid points. I don't know how long I would stay a diehard fan if the Sox moved far away. Eventually my interest would wane and I would only follow them casually, I am sure.
."

When player turn over occurs the team won't have the same feel and most of us wouldn't be sox fans.

idseer
03-07-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

When player turn over occurs the team won't have the same feel and most of us wouldn't be sox fans.

good point! i'd still care about the remaining players till that dissolved.

hsc1
03-07-2002, 11:25 PM
farwest.. feel free to drop in and visit anytime....maybe my season tickets will be cheaper with the exchange rates huh???? lol

Nellie_Fox
03-09-2002, 03:21 AM
Being a Sox fan for this long has been so painful on so many levels, I'd have to just pack it in. It takes the loyalty I built as a little kid to put up with at least three threats to move (to Seattle, Milwaukee and Tampa) and the strikes. I think an actual move would end it.

Now I'm sure Czal will remind me (in front of everyone) about how I said I was done after the '94 strike.

FarWestChicago
03-09-2002, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Now I'm sure Czal will remind me (in front of everyone) about how I said I was done after the '94 strike. I'm sure he would. :smile:

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-09-2002, 10:23 AM
Half price Corona and Burrito Mondays.
Bring your own water Tuesdays.
The marketing ideas are endless.

ihatethecubs
03-09-2002, 07:02 PM
...what would you do?

lets go cook county cheetahs!