PDA

View Full Version : Sox re-sign Gload!!!

veeter
11-27-2006, 09:23 PM
As expected, the Sox wisely re-signed Ross. 1yr/ 625,000. The guy is a bargain.

JUribe1989
11-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Bargain of the year around baseball. I hope he gets more playing time in 2006. Locked and Gloaded! The bases are Gloaded! All the sayings in game threads shall continue for at least another year!

thomas35forever
11-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Good idea. I think we're pretty set at first base right now.

DumpJerry
11-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Hendry called a press conference to announce that Kenny is a fool and a wimp. Hendry said $650,000 is an embarrassment to GMs in all pro sports.

Dumpjerry held a press conference and said :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

DaleJRFan
11-27-2006, 09:28 PM
*** YEA!!! I love me some Gload!

Ok, for real... good deal, KW. I hope it is a major league contract.

Does this spell the doom of Mackowiak?

DumpJerry
11-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Does this spell the doom of Mackowiak?
Why would it?

cwsfannick
11-27-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm happy to see Ross back in the fold. He could play a major role next year especially if Paulie has any health problems next year. At the very least it is great to have a solid left handed bat off the bench.

thomas35forever
11-27-2006, 09:35 PM
:hawk
"I luuuuuuuuuuv me some Ross."

DaleJRFan
11-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Why would it?

*IF* Terrero somehow makes the team, doesn't that crowd the outfield a bit? With 11 pitchers, 8 starters, backup catcher, Ozuna, Cintron and Gload, that leaves Mack-o-wack out of the picture. I guess it was more of a question of... if Gload's contract is a MLB contract... who goes?

buehrle4cy05
11-27-2006, 09:42 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Not only did we re-sign him, but we got him for cheap.

SoxSpeed22
11-27-2006, 09:45 PM
With Gload being one of the few people that could actually get a bunt down or a sacrifice fly last year. He's a weapon off the bench, someone will probably end up getting traded ala Borchard last year.

mccoydp
11-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Good for the Sox. Ross kicks ass, especially after I saw his grand slam vs. the Orioles this past summer. :D:

The Immigrant
11-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Good for the Sox. Ross kicks ass, especially after I saw his grand slam vs. the Orioles this past summer. :D:

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Thanks for bringing back that sweet, sweet memory.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-27-2006, 09:56 PM
It seems like Ozzie finally started appreciating Gload by the end of the year, for his ability to come in and consistently produce no matter how little or much he had played up to that time. I think he'll get even more at bats in 2007 than last year.

veeter
11-27-2006, 09:57 PM
That game was a weight off every player's and fan's shoulders. The Sox needed that game, and Ross delivered.

hi im skot
11-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Time to buy a Gload jersey. :cool:

sodfatherjunior
11-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Bargain of the year around baseball. I hope he gets more playing time in 2006. Locked and Gloaded! The bases are Gloaded! All the sayings in game threads shall continue for at least another year!

Yeah he should definately get plenty of AB's between now and December 31st.

DickAllen72
11-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Gload is good. :smile:

KRS1
11-27-2006, 11:12 PM
It seems like Ozzie finally started appreciating Gload by the end of the year, for his ability to come in and consistently produce no matter how little or much he had played up to that time. I think he'll get even more at bats in 2007 than last year.

IMO, Ozzie has always liked Ross, but he still appears very under appreciated by a lot. It would have been nice to see him and Rob get more shots at LF in place of Scott, but Ozzie really likes the lidea of a speedy table setter, or felt neither could get the job done(which seems odd to me as he gave Sweeney a shot there).

Also, I love everyone on our bench, but there has to be an odd man out between Ross, Pablo, Rob, and Alex, as it is blatantly obvious we need a legit backup CF. Terrero is the obvious choice to fill that role, and it will be really hard to carry him over any of those four, but it is a problem that needs to be addressed. I dont envy Ozzie when it comes down to these situations.

delben91
11-27-2006, 11:12 PM

That was glorious. I was sitting right by the right field foul pole, about 2 sections from where the ball landed.

(In fact, someone from WSI and their family were sitting next to me, but I don't think I ever got their username.)

Glad to have you sticking around Ross!

Domeshot17
11-27-2006, 11:13 PM
I love Gload because he does all the little things. Besides the slam, my favorite memory of gload was the game AJ hit the jack at wrigley. Would have never happened had Gload not choked up with 2 strikes, and made solid contact back up the middle (yah and it helped dempster fields like cecil fielder)

KRS1
11-27-2006, 11:17 PM
That was glorious. I was sitting right by the right field foul pole, about 2 sections from where the ball landed.

(In fact, someone from WSI and their family were sitting next to me, but I don't think I ever got their username.)

It was down the left field line at Camden.

oeo
11-27-2006, 11:23 PM
IMO, Ozzie has always liked Ross, but he still appears very under appreciated by a lot. It would have been nice to see him and Rob get more shots at LF in place of Scott, but Ozzie really likes the lidea of a speedy table setter, or felt neither could get the job done(which seems odd to me as he gave Sweeney a shot there).

Also, I love everyone on our bench, but there has to be an odd man out between Ross, Pablo, Rob, and Alex, as it is blatantly obvious we need a legit backup CF. Terrero is the obvious choice to fill that role, and it will be really hard to carry him over any of those four, but it is a problem that needs to be addressed. I dont envy Ozzie when it comes down to these situations.

Gload is a terrible OF. IMO, that's why he never got a bigger role, and probably never will. If he could play the OF, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot at leadoff. Maybe too much to ask for, but it would be a cheap option if we couldn't get anyone through trade. Of course it probably wouldn't be the best choice, but last year with Pods struggling could have been the time to give him a shot. This is all moot since he can't play the OF, though.

soxstarter
11-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Ross was beginning to become one of my new favorite White Sox players. Glad to see him "locked and Gloaded":cool: for next year!

KRS1
11-27-2006, 11:31 PM
Gload is a terrible OF. IMO, that's why he never got a bigger role, and probably never will. If he could play the OF, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot at leadoff. Maybe too much to ask for, but it would be a cheap option if we couldn't get anyone through trade.

Up until last season, I would have no complaints with what you said at all. However, he looked a lot better in the OF in 06' than ever before. He made some pretty good plays in RF last year, which previously seemed impossible. I have no problem seeing him spend time in LF, and considering Ozzie used him more in RF, he must have showed something in ways of improvement(yeah I know, Ozzie also used Rob in CF).

MUsoxfan
11-28-2006, 12:24 AM
I'm totally surprised he re-upped with the Sox. I kinda got the impression he wasn't too happy here because of his very infrequent playing time. I was sure he'd bolt to a NL team. I'm glad he didn't

DumpJerry
11-28-2006, 12:33 AM
I'm totally surprised he re-upped with the Sox. I kinda got the impression he wasn't too happy here because of his very infrequent playing time. I was sure he'd bolt to a NL team. I'm glad he didn't
He wants another ring. The Tigers won't be in the World Series every year.

oeo
11-28-2006, 12:36 AM

I've read somewhere (don't remember exactly), that he said he would rather be on a winning team and be on the bench, then go to a losing team and play everyday.

crazyozzie02
11-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Im with all of you. I love ross gload since the start becasue i think that he is one of the best bench players in the leauge and could be a starter somewhere else too. I was just hoping it was going to be more like a 2 year deal. oh well

CaptainBallz
11-28-2006, 01:03 AM
This is good news...

G-Load '07...

tstrike2000
11-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Ross has always been able to flat out hit. Although limited defensively, he's a great bench guy to have on the team.

Man Soo Lee
11-28-2006, 04:29 AM

He's still three years away from free agency, so he didn't have a choice.

aryzner
11-28-2006, 04:52 AM
Ross Gload is a pimp, he's awesome. Very glad to have him back.

Grzegorz
11-28-2006, 05:37 AM
Great signing for the team he's can apply the fundamentals and he's better defensively than given credit for at first base.

Funny all the love about this signing considering earlier in 2006 everyone wanted this guy shipped out of town.

The White Sox needs players like this; they're winners because they keep their mouths shut, apply the fundamentals, and play hard.

The idea about the Gload jersey is a good one.

delben91
11-28-2006, 06:26 AM
It was down the left field line at Camden.

You are of course correct, I was foolishly backwards due to my "late night" posting.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-28-2006, 06:45 AM
Ross Gload is a pimp, he's awesome. Very glad to have him back.
I digress, but my uncle thinks he look like a drunk!:drunken::kukoo::bs:
And by the way, I'm so happy Gload is going to be back!:cool:

jenn2080
11-28-2006, 08:17 AM
**** YEAH! :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Let's get Gloaded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the best news since Cotts getting traded.

Rocky Soprano
11-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Good move, as long as I never have to see him in the outfield.

skottyj242
11-28-2006, 10:23 AM
I don't understand all the Gload love around here. Who cares?

Jerko
11-28-2006, 10:46 AM

I agree. Just gives Ozzie more ammo to have some ****ed up lineup in there 6 days a week.

INSox56
11-28-2006, 10:52 AM
I've read somewhere (don't remember exactly), that he said he would rather be on a winning team and be on the bench, then go to a losing team and play everyday.

You are correct, sir...he's said that on a few occasions.

I've been a huge fan since 04. I'm glad he got some time up here in 05 to get a ring...after recovering from shoulder injury in 05, he DOMINATED in AAA and was sad he didn't really come up much after that, if at all. Awesome to see him staying!

jenn2080
11-28-2006, 10:55 AM
I agree. Just gives Ozzie more ammo to have some ****ed up lineup in there 6 days a week.

He was actually being a smart ass.

Jerko I am very disappointed in your lack of Ross love.

Jjav829
11-28-2006, 10:56 AM

It's actually a really nice signing. Gload is a hell of a bench player to have around. He's just overvalued by a lot of people around here who think he would be able to put up similar numbers if he played everyday.

skottyj242
11-28-2006, 10:56 AM

Were you referring to moi?

D. TODD
11-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Solid bat of the bench, so I'm glad he is back, if that is his only role for the team. He didn't have many options as he has very little demand across the league. Remember he cleared waivers about a year ago when nobody claimed him for the league minimum. The price is cheap so welcome back Gload.

jenn2080
11-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Were you referring to moi?

Yes I was.

skottyj242
11-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Maybe I can get my Gload jersey signed at SoxFest next year.

DumpJerry
11-28-2006, 11:04 AM

I was at that game sitting in the their version of the Club Level, the ball landed near us in the LEFT Field corner.

It was fantastic. The Red Sox fans who were behind us monitoring the AL East were gleeful. The place was full of Red Sox and Yankee fans. I guess they go to other teams' ballparks in the AL East to make sure they lose.

Jerko
11-28-2006, 11:06 AM

Sorry.

maurice
11-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Gload could continue to improve in the OF. He injured and then re-injured his left shoulder in 2005, which restricted him to 1B. If it stays healthy, he can get more reps in the OF and get better. It's not like his OF defense sucks because he's slow.

soxinem1
11-28-2006, 12:17 PM

Where? I like him as much as anyone, but unless there is an injury, or he's forced to play LF, there is no room for more than a day off here and there.

I want Mags back
11-28-2006, 12:37 PM
1yr/ 625,000.

alright. money well spent

itsnotrequired
11-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Gload signing = good.

skottyj242
11-28-2006, 12:44 PM
I saw some idiot last year at a game in a road black Gload jersey, who the hell spends hard earned money on a Gload jersey?

peeonwrigley
11-28-2006, 12:45 PM
I saw some idiot last year at a game in a road black Gload jersey, who the hell spends hard earned money on a Gload jersey?

Ma and Pa Gload?

jenn2080
11-28-2006, 12:55 PM

You? :D:

popilius
11-28-2006, 12:56 PM
I had always been praising Gload to friends and family. This past July 28th was my wedding night- at the reception, we made a call and checked the Sox score. Gload hit a grand slam in the ninth to beat Baltimore that game.

So, a memorable night for me got even better!

:gulp:

skottyj242
11-28-2006, 01:14 PM
You? :D:

Oh yeah, I forgot.:D:

HawkDJ
11-28-2006, 01:20 PM

I saw someone here in the dining hall at UNC wearing a Ross Gload jersey. I was shocked when I saw it. Rarely do a see White Sox gear in Chapel Hill but what are the chances of a Ross Gload jersey? So I approached him. Turns out he's Gload's cousin. Pretty cool.

jenn2080
11-28-2006, 01:30 PM
I saw someone here in the dining hall at UNC wearing a Ross Gload jersey. I was shocked when I saw it. Rarely do a see White Sox gear in Chapel Hill but what are the chances of a Ross Gload jersey? So I approached him. Turns out he's Gload's cousin. Pretty cool.

If you see that guy again make sure you tell him that Ross should be playing 8 of 9 positions.

Palehose13
11-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Dear Kenny,

Please do something soon. Folks here at WSI are pissing their pants about Ross Freaking Gload. It's not that I dislike the guy, it's just that people are acting like it is the re-signing of Paul Konerko. Ross is a decent back up first baseman and defensive replacement for PK, but hows 'bout keeping him out of the outfield? Remember that cubs game when he played RF a few years ago...brutal. Gload in the OF makes Mack look like Willie Mays. So please, Kenny, for our sanity here at WSI do something soon before I am forced to watch...hockey. :mg:

Sincerely,
Palehose13
Moderator and resident loser, WSI

oeo
11-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Up until last season, I would have no complaints with what you said at all. However, he looked a lot better in the OF in 06' than ever before. He made some pretty good plays in RF last year, which previously seemed impossible. I have no problem seeing him spend time in LF, and considering Ozzie used him more in RF, he must have showed something in ways of improvement(yeah I know, Ozzie also used Rob in CF).

He basically blew the third game against the Astros last year. After not being able to get to the ball, he just stood there instead of picking up a live ball and getting it back in. This was in extra innings, and that baserunner ended up scoring the winning run.

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 01:40 PM
He basically blew the third game against the Astros last year. After not being able to get to the ball, he just stood there instead of picking up a live ball and getting it back in. This was in extra innings, and that baserunner ended up scoring the winning run.

He also allowed the SOX to get swept at Wrigley with his play in RF ...
brutal

champagne030
11-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Gload could continue to improve in the OF. He injured and then re-injured his left shoulder in 2005, which restricted him to 1B. If it stays healthy, he can get more reps in the OF and get better. It's not like his OF defense sucks because he's slow.

You're correct. His outfield defense doesn't suck because he's slow, it sucks for the same reason as Mack's does - neither of them can judge a flyball to save their lives.

Gload = pinch hitter and late inning defensive sub for PK.

oeo
11-28-2006, 01:53 PM
You're correct. His outfield defense doesn't suck because he's slow, it sucks for the same reason as Mack's does - neither of them can judge a flyball to save their lives.

Gload = pinch hitter and late inning defensive sub for PK.

Mackowiak can judge flyballs...

He can't play CF, but he can play the corners quite well. Mackowiak is much more valuable to this team than Gload ever will be, why doesn't he get all this love? It's not his fault that Ozzie threw him out in center everyday; he knows he sucks out there...Ozzie, OTOH, hasn't figured that out yet.

champagne030
11-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Mackowiak can judge flyballs...

He can't play CF, but he can play the corners quite well.

Actually, no he cannot "play the corners quite well". He does better with less ground to cover, but still gets a terrible read on the ball. He plays comparable defense to Pods, but with a better arm.

maurice
11-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Dear Kenny,
Please do something soon....

:D:

Dear Santa,

All we want for Christmas is . . .
- A good SS or OF who can lead off
- Another good relief pitcher, preferably a lefty
- A great pitching prospect for the '08 rotation
- A breakout season for our youngest players in '07
- Continued health for Thome, Dye, etc.
- A solid replacement for Jimbo's
- Plenty of churros
- Green seats
. . .

Perhaps this needs its own thread.

Palehose13
11-28-2006, 02:01 PM
:D:

Dear Santa,

All we want for Christmas is . . .
- A good SS or OF who can lead off
- Another good relief pitcher, preferably a lefty
- A great pitching prospect for the '08 rotation
- A breakout season for our youngest players in '07
- Continued health for Thome, Dye, etc.
- A solid replacement for Jimbo's
- Plenty of churros
- Green seats
. . .

Perhaps this needs its own thread.

Sounds like a plan to me!

oeo
11-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Actually, no he cannot "play the corners quite well". He does better with less ground to cover, but still gets a terrible read on the ball. He plays comparable defense to Pods, but with a better arm.

I wasn't implying that he was a Gold Glove outfielder, but he can play the corners, which is more than you can say about Gload.

soxinem1
11-28-2006, 05:56 PM

In all fairness, he has not had a lot of MLB experience in the OF, other than an extended stretch in RF when Ordonez was out in 2004. He actually has pretty decent foot speed, but his reads often look clumsy.

Maybe he should have went to winter ball. At the very least, he should be shagging flyballs hard during BP!! :rolleyes:

Frankfan4life
11-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Smart move for the Sox to sign Gload. I'm happy with it. I only wish it could have been longer than 1 year.

One thing I've always been curious about is why does Gload appear to be wearing the Big Hurt's pants.

tomgordon1
11-29-2006, 02:00 AM
I really think Gload should be an everyday player. He's got so much to show but never gets that time. Gload can play left. I think it should be up to Spring Training to determine who gets the outfield spots.

As for the bullpen, Boone Logan should be given the spot. People criticized him too much and it was his rookie season. You can't expect a rookie to dominate in the MLB, just because they were great in the minors. Kenny needs to do his best to improve this team.

oeo
11-29-2006, 02:08 AM
I really think Gload should be an everyday player. He's got so much to show but never gets that time. Gload can play left. I think it should be up to Spring Training to determine who gets the outfield spots.

As for the bullpen, Boone Logan should be given the spot. People criticized him too much and it was his rookie season. You can't expect a rookie to dominate in the MLB, just because they were great in the minors. Kenny needs to do his best to improve this team.

Boone Logan had a surprising show in Spring Training, that's why he made the team. Unfortunately, success in Spring Training does not equate to success during the regular season. Not only can he not pitch at the big league level, but he couldn't even execute routine plays on the field (a game in Tampa Bay comes to mind). And apparently he also has a ****ty attitude to go with his ****ty pitching.

IMO, Logan is not, and never will be, a good big league pitcher, and I hope to God that he is not in our plans for next year (or ever for that matter).

tomgordon1
11-30-2006, 12:21 AM
My point is that Logan deserves one more chance with us to prove himself. We can always replace a reliever. Kenny did a hell of a job to pick up MacDougal and Riske.