PDA

View Full Version : another insane contract Adam Eaton gets 24M for 3 years

Fenway
11-27-2006, 05:26 PM
8 million a year????? The Phillies are insane

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2677728

caulfield12
11-27-2006, 05:47 PM
There goes the bait of using our starters to get Jimmy Rollins (Garcia probably).

champagne030
11-27-2006, 06:41 PM

Right in line with Boston forking over $50M just to talk to some guy who may be the next Hideki Irabu and the Cubs paying $17M for a 39 year old DH with a full no trade clause.

oeo
11-27-2006, 06:45 PM
There goes the bait of using our starters to get Jimmy Rollins (Garcia probably).

All these guys going for so much money are just driving up our guys' price tags. I mean, if Adam ****ing Eaton is getting 8M a year, we should get a lot in return for Garcia or Vazquez.

buehrle4cy05
11-27-2006, 06:46 PM
:o:

This deal is Eric Milton bad.

LuvSox
11-27-2006, 06:57 PM

Right in line with Boston forking over $50M just to talk to some guy who may be the next Hideki Irabu and the Cubs paying $17M for a 39 year old DH with a full no trade clause.

:rolling:

WizardsofOzzie
11-27-2006, 06:57 PM
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: 8 million a year for a guy coming off a season with a 5.12 ERA. Could we post this in the worst FA signing of all time thread?

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-27-2006, 07:02 PM
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: 8 million a year for a guy coming off a season with a 5.12 ERA. Could we post this in the worst FA signing of all time thread?

Hells yeah:bandance:

Fenway
11-27-2006, 07:03 PM

and he going to be pitching in the bandbox known as Citizens Bank Park :o:

FedEx227
11-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Damn at this pace I'm going to quit school and set up a pitching mound in my backyard. Apparently you don't even need to be half-way decent to get 8-9 million now. God damn.

Does anybody now realize how smart Williams is? It's like he sense this free-agent market was going to be a complete mess and just stayed cleared.

Flight #24
11-27-2006, 07:15 PM
:garcia: :contreras: :jon :burly :vazquez:

Come and get 'em! Priced like an Eaton but performs like pitchers signable at twice the price!

I love what this is doing for Kenny's trade prospects. If a team wants to try and contend in '07, it makes perfect sense to deal a couple of hotshot pitching prospects who are 1-2 years away for one of the Sox guys.

If this keeps up, Texas will be begging to send Danks & Masset & Otsuka over for Freddy or Javy.

Foulke You
11-27-2006, 07:30 PM

Come and get 'em! Priced like an Eaton but performs like pitchers signable at twice the price!

I love what this is doing for Kenny's trade prospects. If a team wants to try and contend in '07, it makes perfect sense to deal a couple of hotshot pitching prospects who are 1-2 years away for one of the Sox guys.

If this keeps up, Texas will be begging to send Danks & Masset & Otsuka over for Freddy or Javy.
I hope the Rangers get an itchy trade finger and look to deal Michael Young for pitching. If we're gonna deal, I don't want prospects, I want someone who can help us win in 2007. Michael Young could be that impact player we're looking for. Otsuka is a nice reliever but I don't think we could land both him AND Young straight up for Javy or Freddy. We'd have to expand the deal to include Uribe, Anderson, or Sweeney.

BTW, Eaton getting $8 million per year is absolutely insane. This is almost Chan Ho Park/Darren Dreifort bad as far as contracts. The only thing separating it is the years aren't as many.

FedEx227
11-27-2006, 07:32 PM
BTW, Eaton getting $8 million per year is absolutely insane. This is almost Chan Ho Park/Darren Dreifort bad as far as contracts. The only thing separating it is the years aren't as many.

But the lack of real talent is definitely there.

What's even more funny is Park/Dreifort actually had good years/potential at the time of their bone-headed singings... Eaton just blows, on many, many levels.

The Immigrant
11-27-2006, 07:43 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think this contract is "insane". A bit rich, sure, but that's just a product of the inflated free agent market. Eaton had decent numbers in the NL (where he's now returning) and was a workhorse each of his last three years in San Diego. I'd expect his ERA next year to be right around 4.50.

Chan Ho Park got $65 million over 5 years, so that's obviously not the right comparison.

The right comparison? Paul Byrd earned $7 million in 2006. Jon Lieber, he of the 5 ERA with the Phils, earned $7.5 million last year.

Foulke You
11-27-2006, 07:51 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think this contract is "insane". A bit rich, sure, but that's just a product of the inflated free agent market. Eaton had decent numbers in the NL (where he's now returning) and was a workhorse each of his last three years in San Diego. I'd expect his ERA next year to be right around 4.50.

Chan Ho Park got $65 million over 5 years, so that's obviously not the right comparison.

The right comparison? Paul Byrd earned $7 million in 2006. Jon Lieber, he of the 5 ERA with the Phils, earned $7.5 million last year.
You have some valid points, but I would make the argument that Byrd and Lieber are higher calibur pitchers than Eaton. I would also make the argument that "good for the NL" is still not worthy of a $8 million/yr contract.

Flight #24
11-27-2006, 08:22 PM

IMO the market's just a lot higher than we're used to. So it's not so much that $8M is a ton for Eaton, it's that $8M doesn't buy you what it used to, and that the Sox guys are absolute steals. Eaton's probably along the lines of a $4-5M guy, but that's in a world where the top guys get $10-12M. Those guys will now get $17-20M so $8 for Eaton's about right.

But it increases the value of cheap young pitching, and that's something the Sox will need more of in the next few years as their current core either gets paid at the new market rates or ages to the point where they have to find replacements. Which is why it's the perfect time for Kenny to deal one to a team that has good young pitching but wants to contend this year and can't wait. Texas is a great fit, the Mets could be a good one, and I'm sure there are other teams as well. IMO the guy who'll go is Javy because he's under control for 2 years and improved through the year. Plus I'd bet KW thinks he can resign Freddy cheaper with the Ozzie connection and because he's just had a kid and likely would love to stay in Chicago.

thomas35forever
11-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Does anybody now realize how smart Williams is? It's like he sense this free-agent market was going to be a complete mess and just stayed cleared.
Hats off to Kenny for that.:thumbsup:

palehozenychicty
11-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Damn at this pace I'm going to quit school and set up a pitching mound in my backyard. Apparently you don't even need to be half-way decent to get 8-9 million now. God damn.

Which is why I laugh at all the people who say that they are worried about the Sox not jumping the gun right now. We'll be fine and will field a very good, rested team in 2007.

spiffie
11-27-2006, 11:17 PM

Some points of disagreement with this:

-In all his NL seasons the only year he posted an ERA below the league average was 2000. Even in his very best year, where he went 9-12 with a 4.08 ERA the NL average was 3.94.

-He's only gone over 135 innings twice in his career (2003, 2004). In 2005 he only started 22 games and pitched 128 2/3 innings.

-He's not even Jon Lieber. Lieber, before signing with Philly, had posted above-average ERA's 4 out of the last 5 years, and had shown that he could pitch 200+ innings in a season before that (1999-2001).

Grzegorz
11-28-2006, 04:46 AM
IMO the market's just a lot higher than we're used to. So it's not so much that $8M is a ton for Eaton, it's that $8M doesn't buy you what it used to

This is a matter of semantics; anyway you look at it $8M is a too much for Adam Eaton.

But it increases the value of cheap young pitching, and that's something the Sox will need more of in the next few years as their current core either gets paid at the new market rates or ages to the point where they have to find replacements. Which is why it's the perfect time for Kenny to deal one to a team that has good young pitching but wants to contend this year and can't wait.

I totally agree with you here; that is why I see some of the rostered players being moved for young pitching talent.

tstrike2000
11-28-2006, 08:23 AM

Yep, very common these days for a starting pitcher to a get big multi-year deal and have an over 4.00-50 career ERA based on "potential" or one good year. Darren Dreifort syndrome signing.

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 08:38 AM

I love what this is doing for Kenny's trade prospects.

thats about the only good thing thats gonna happen. We need to move/replace Vazquez, or were not going anywhere in 07

caulfield12
11-28-2006, 08:48 AM
How can you be certain he won't pitch like he did the last two months, when he was the most consistent pitcher on the team?

How do you know Buehrle or Contreras will pitch at 2005 or first three months of 2006 levels?

Flight #24
11-28-2006, 09:48 AM
This is a matter of semantics; anyway you look at it $8M is a too much for Adam Eaton.

What someone is worth can be looked at in 2 ways:

1 is that it's what someone's willing to pay, in which case being given a contract automatically validates the #.

2 and what I think you're referring to is that $8M can be spent in a way that better improves the team. My point is that that may not be true based on where the market for FAs is moving. What was a $3M guy is now a $6-8M guy.

Now if your point is that in absolute terms $8M is too much to pay for an average SP, then pretty much every baseball player can be said to be overvalued.

INSox56
11-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Good...one more pitching hole they'll need to replace. Once Padilla goes to another team, they'll be begging for pitching via trade. I wonder if/hope that Kenny waits until that happens so he can look at the best possible deals out there from a multitude of teams.

sox1970
11-28-2006, 10:02 AM
thats about the only good thing thats gonna happen. We need to move/replace Vazquez, or were not going anywhere in 07

I tend to think Buehrle and Contreras sucking for four months was a much bigger problem than Vazquez. The Sox played .500 ball when Vazquez pitched. I'll take that from my 5th starter any time. Granted, I think the expectations should be higher for a guy making a ton of money, but he still pitched like a .500 pitcher from the 5th spot in the rotation. If Buehrle and Contreras are back, the Sox need to play .667 ball when they take the hill.

PaulDrake
11-28-2006, 12:36 PM

The right comparison? Paul Byrd earned $7 million in 2006. Jon Lieber, he of the 5 ERA with the Phils, earned $7.5 million last year. 86 starts and 511 innings pitched over 3 years qualifies as being a workhorse?

The Immigrant
11-28-2006, 12:52 PM
86 starts and 511 innings pitched over 3 years qualifies as being a workhorse?

He averaged 32 starts and 190 innings in 2003 and 2004. He spent the second half of 2005 on the DL and then had surgery, which is why the numbers you cite are misleading.

By your methodology, Jon Lieber had 62 starts and 390 innings pitched over the last 3 years (he missed all of 2003 with an injury). Gee, this is fun...

PaulDrake
11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
He averaged 32 starts and 190 innings in 2003 and 2004. He spent the second half of 2005 on the DL and then had surgery, which is why the numbers you cite are misleading.

I merely used the years you mentioned, "a workhorse each of his last three years in San Diego" was how you put it. So now you want to just include two years. I'm still not impressed with those numbers, even in this modern era where the complete game is going the way of the dodo bird. I'm sorry, to me the guy is neither a workhorse or a good pitcher. Insanity reigns this off season.

Fenway
11-28-2006, 01:40 PM
A Philly columnist is not impressed and takes a shot at the Tribune

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/16112424.htm

Gillick just got outbid by a Tribune Company subsidiary that wouldn't hesitate to pitch a third of its Chicago Tribune editorial staff off the El platform while hiring big-ticket manager Lou Piniella, re-upping Aramis Ramirez for $75 million and rolling a $136 million Soriano grenade into the free-agent parade.