PDA

View Full Version : Stagnant Sox

Trav
11-27-2006, 04:29 PM
I enjoyed (as always) the article on the front page of the WSI. Thanks to everyone who contributes to those.

As for the article, I think Williams is going to wait until most of the big named FA are in place before pulling the trigger on a trade. Personally, I hope any trades involve players not currently in the rotation. I would love to go into the season with that same rotation and give them another shot. I could even see giving Pods another shot at leadoff and in LF with all the options we have in young OF's. Unless a true leadoff hitter in his prime comes available I'm hoping the only moves involve bullpen help and I can't see anything splashy in that department.

It would be great to have all the mediots pumping up the teams that made a big splash while downplaying KW's quiet offseason and have us surprise everyone again.

Again, I love the articles on the main page every week. Thanks so much.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-27-2006, 04:57 PM
I enjoyed (as always) the article on the front page of the WSI. Thanks to everyone who contributes to those.

As for the article, I think Williams is going to wait until most of the big named FA are in place before pulling the trigger on a trade. Personally, I hope any trades involve players not currently in the rotation. I would love to go into the season with that same rotation and give them another shot. I could even see giving Pods another shot at leadoff and in LF with all the options we have in young OF's. Unless a true leadoff hitter in his prime comes available I'm hoping the only moves involve bullpen help and I can't see anything splashy in that department.

It would be great to have all the mediots pumping up the teams that made a big splash while downplaying KW's quiet offseason and have us surprise everyone again.

Again, I love the articles on the main page every week. Thanks so much.
Trav:

I can't say much about who we are going to get, but what are we going to get is very clear in Kenny's mind. I have faith in Kenny, and I think most of us at WSI have faith in Kenny. He's going to suprise all of MLB, without a doubt. I don't want to be biased, but I truely believe Kenny IS one of the smartest/best GM's any team can have. Period.

nysox35
11-27-2006, 04:57 PM
I agree that it'll be nice to sort of sneak up on other teams a little more this year, though we won't be the forgotten team we used to be anytime soon.

I am starting to think we should go with Pods again and upgrade the Pen and SP Farm system via trading a starter.
I like our 5 starters, but I just think B Mac needs to be in the rotation. He clearly isn't a lights out reliever.

Who goes? It's a tough call, but that's where Kenny comes in.

Trav
11-27-2006, 05:35 PM
I agree that it'll be nice to sort of sneak up on other teams a little more this year, though we won't be the forgotten team we used to be anytime soon.

I am starting to think we should go with Pods again and upgrade the Pen and SP Farm system via trading a starter.
I like our 5 starters, but I just think B Mac needs to be in the rotation. He clearly isn't a lights out reliever.

Who goes? It's a tough call, but that's where Kenny comes in.

I'm not on the Macarthy for starter next year bandwagon. For sure there are worse options but leaving him in the pen for another year won't kill him.

kevin57
11-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Both Ozzie and Kenny have said that they would be content to return with the same squad as last year's. Interestingly, that was said before the Cotts' trade, so obviously, not exactly the same squad.

Kenny's history is of not staying pat. He puts the "a" in aggressive. The good news is that the Sox have talent that would entice a whole lot of teams.

ThirdBaseman
11-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Just don't trade Crede....that's all I'm saying.

jabrch
11-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Just don't trade Crede....that's all I'm saying.

Just get better - that's all I am saying.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Just get better - that's all I am saying.
Yes, please! :D:

Ziggy S
11-27-2006, 09:29 PM
McCarthy should either crack the rotation or he should start the year in Charlotte; having him in BP again would be another disaster like last season.

ondafarm
11-27-2006, 11:27 PM
I think Haeger will be in long relief and that McCarthy will be starting. This should make the fastball trio of at the backend of the bullpen (ending with the closer Jenks) that much more effective. As a hitter I would've hated to see knuckleballs floating in for one at-bat followed by blazing fastballs the next.

MRM
11-29-2006, 08:15 PM
I think Haeger will be in long relief and that McCarthy will be starting. This should make the fastball trio of at the backend of the bullpen (ending with the closer Jenks) that much more effective. As a hitter I would've hated to see knuckleballs floating in for one at-bat followed by blazing fastballs the next.

If Haeger can make the team, I'd rather see him in short relief. Get all geared up for the knuckler only to see a guy who throws 97 or vice versa.

I'm just not sure Haeger has enough control over his only effective pitch to be a MLB player. I hope he does because that brings a dimension no other team has hense no team will/should be ready for. You can't adjust to what you only see a couple of times a year. Thing is, can he get it over the plate often enough to be effective or will hitters be able to just plant their bats on their shoulders and hope for the best?

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-29-2006, 09:20 PM
If Haeger can make the team, I'd rather see him in short relief. Get all geared up for the knuckler only to see a guy who throws 97 or vice versa.

I'm just not sure Haeger has enough control over his only effective pitch to be a MLB player. I hope he does because that brings a dimension no other team has hense no team will/should be ready for. You can't adjust to what you only see a couple of times a year. Thing is, can he get it over the plate often enough to be effective or will hitters be able to just plant their bats on their shoulders and hope for the best?
WEll, im not sure if he's going to be like Wilbur Wood during the 07 season, but i can tell you this: Haeger extremely young, and i think the future is going to be quite bright for him in a sox unform

1951Campbell
11-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Someone said it in another thread, but this team won a World Series last year and 90 games this year. I don't need to see a bunch of moves just to prove that the Sox are "doing something", I need to see improvement. And clearly KW's not going to do something just to keep up appearances, and he's not going to waste money. There hasn't been an acquisition that's been "must have" for the Sox and they've slept on. We'll see how things go, ya know?