PDA

View Full Version : Cubs fans are Stupidly Loyal?

ChiSoxLifer
11-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Ok call me Cubsessed if you want. If you don't like threads of this type then don't read this post and move on. Anyways, I found this article to be pretty much dead on and pretty amusing.
Here's the link:

Stupidly Loyal (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/em_swift/11/21/cubs.tribune/index.html)

Palehose13
11-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Ok call me Cubsessed if you want. If you don't like threads of this type then don't read this post and move on. Anyways, I found this article to be pretty much dead on and pretty amusing.
Here's the link:

Stupidly Loyal (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/em_swift/11/21/cubs.tribune/index.html)

Cubsessed. Don't get defensive. You told me I could do it.

BTW...I kinda have to read every thread. Get that? EVERY THREAD. Every little POS that gets spewed from the fingers to the keyboard. :tongue:

:redneck I heart pain pills.

LuvSox
11-27-2006, 03:10 PM
I heart scotch + pain pills.

Palehose13
11-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Lifer-

If you didn't realize it...I'm just ****ing with you.

and I really am on pain pills.

WizardsofOzzie
11-27-2006, 03:13 PM
*yawn* Nothing that any smart person who follows baseball dosen't already know.

FielderJones
11-27-2006, 03:28 PM
*yawn* Nothing that any smart person who follows baseball dosen't already know.

But a sharp break from the Cubune-led conventional wisdom that most media continue to spew out. And don't forget, many people are not smart and don't follow baseball. We call them Cub fans. :tongue:

chisoxmike
11-27-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm glad someone in the national media is pointing it out, not just Sox fans. :bandance:

WizardsofOzzie
11-27-2006, 03:31 PM
But a sharp break from the Cubune-led conventional wisdom that most media continue to spew out. And don't forget, many people are not smart and don't follow baseball. We call them Cub fans. :tongue:
2 very good points :thumbsup:

WhiteSox5187
11-27-2006, 03:46 PM
There is a HUGE difference between Cub fans and the people who go to Wrigley. That has to be pointed out. I have a lot of friends who are Cub fans and who have in recent years boycotted the Cubs and stopped going to Wrigley, the problem is for every Cub fan who does there are three people from out of town who are more than willing take those tickets and down their five hundred bucks at Wrigley.

So are Cubs fans stupidly loyal? Meh, loyalty I think is a good thing. I have no problem with a Cubs fan who watches every game on TV and follows the team yet admits that they suck and won't go to Wrigley. But again, Wrigley Field is not full of Cubs fans. It's full of tourists. And I say this because I know that, I worked at Wrigley in 2004 (I also worked at Comiskey too) and the place was loaded with tourists. Real Cub fans I've discovered rarely go to Wrigley unless the team is good.

Hangar18
11-27-2006, 04:38 PM
I like how, very quietly, media articles frequently make light of the fact there were LOTS OF EMPTY SEATS at wrigley in August and September. YET, all we heard late in the season, from WGN, the Trib, the panderer Pat Hughes and the buffoon Ron Santo, was "look how many people are still here, late in the game" or "Not many have left, you gotta hand it to these fans-so loyal" What a bunch of cockamamie. Then again, I laughed at them back when it happened, and mocked them here and other sites .....

Hangar18
11-27-2006, 04:40 PM
So are Cubs fans stupidly loyal?

Short answer.

YES

ChiSoxLifer
11-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Lifer-

If you didn't realize it...I'm just ****ing with you.

and I really am on pain pills.

No offense taken and hope you get off the pain pills soon enough. I guess if I lived in Milwaukee I'd need some too.

DumpJerry
11-27-2006, 09:43 PM
If Cub fans are "stupidly loyal" as the article posits, what am I for going to Sox games in certain years during the 70's and 80's when we were pretty much out of the race by Memorial Day?

The article is saying what the Cub fans were saying on Sportsblad radio when the Soriano signing took place. Nothing new.

StillMissOzzie
11-28-2006, 02:41 AM
If Cub fans are "stupidly loyal" as the article posits, what am I for going to Sox games in certain years during the 70's and 80's when we were pretty much out of the race by Memorial Day?

The article is saying what the Cub fans were saying on Sportsblad radio when the Soriano signing took place. Nothing new.

You don't need to go back that far. IIRC, either 2001 or 2002, the Sox had already dug themself a big hole. But I digress...

I liked the part in the SI story about, referring to the Cubs' committment of some $250M to Soriano, Ramirez, DeRosa, Blanco, Wood, and new manager Lou Piniella as "...putting very expensive lipstick on a pig...", as he assumes that the Cubs and/or Tribune will be sold before Lou's contact is done.

SMO
:gulp:

Grzegorz
11-28-2006, 05:48 AM
I'll never knock Cubs fans for being loyal; loyalty is a virtue.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-28-2006, 07:37 AM
I'll never knock Cubs fans for being loyal; loyalty is a virtue.
Being loyal to the team, or the Bud?
Is stupidity a virtue?

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 09:51 AM

Hey, dont sell yourself short here my friend. Since 1950, the Chicago White Sox have had 36 WINNING seasons. That other team? 14. HAHHAAHA. THAT why your a SOX fan

Heck. Since 1950, the White Sox have had 15 90-win seasons. That "storied" other team? 3!

Grzegorz
11-28-2006, 09:55 AM

Being loyal to the team; as someone pointed out earlier there are Chicago Cubs fans and there are Wrigley field fans. There is a big difference between the two.

Is stupidity a virtue?

Is ignorance bliss??? :D:

Lip Man 1
11-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Hangar:

Just wondering...is that counting the year of the 'extra game?' LOL

:D:

Lip

Hangar18
11-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Hangar:

Just wondering...is that counting the year of the 'extra game?' LOL

:D:

Lip

heh heh. No Sir. My stats are for the standard 162 game Schedule

Palehose13
11-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Is stupidity a virtue?

With your screen name and constantly using the "anti-cub" logo you are in a way showing loyalty to that team.

The opposite of love is indifference.

Railsplitter
11-29-2006, 10:27 AM
There is a HUGE difference between Cub fans and the people who go to Wrigley. That has to be pointed out. I have a lot of friends who are Cub fans and who have in recent years boycotted the Cubs and stopped going to Wrigley, the problem is for every Cub fan who does there are three people from out of town who are more than willing take those tickets and down their five hundred bucks at Wrigley.

So are Cubs fans stupidly loyal? Meh, loyalty I think is a good thing. I have no problem with a Cubs fan who watches every game on TV and follows the team yet admits that they suck and won't go to Wrigley. But again, Wrigley Field is not full of Cubs fans. It's full of tourists. And I say this because I know that, I worked at Wrigley in 2004 (I also worked at Comiskey too) and the place was loaded with tourists. Real Cub fans I've discovered rarely go to Wrigley unless the team is good.

Short verison: Cubs' attendance is inflated by Cable Carpetbaggers.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-29-2006, 05:43 PM
With your screen name and constantly using the "anti-cub" logo you are in a way showing loyalty to that team.

The opposite of love is indifference.
As a 16 year old, it is my job to give hell to all cubs fans, and cheer my ass off for the sox! Lol..jk...but really:smile:. It's as simple as that.