PDA

View Full Version : I stand by Podsednik

QCIASOXFAN
11-26-2006, 02:00 AM
I know at least 60% of the WSI community is ready for change, but I think we should give Pods one more year. The guy has unreal speed, he is a good contact hitter (most of the time) and is a bargin in left field. I understand ALL of his fielding faults. I wont try to make to many excuses, but he did have a hamstring injurie nagging him for much of the first half. I still stand by Pods.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-26-2006, 02:24 AM
I think that the Sox are gonna give him another shot because of the way the FA pool is. If there were more realistic deals, no doubt there would be a new leadoff guy.

CaptainBallz
11-26-2006, 03:00 AM
The guy has unreal speed, he is a good contact hitter (most of the time) and is a bargin in left field.

I'm not huge on bar gin, but I suggest you lay off of it. "Unreal" speed mixed with "nagging" injury, good contact, and useless fielding = No Thanks...

Next...

VenturaIsAGod
11-26-2006, 03:24 AM
Bring on Chone "Shawn" Figgins! But if not, we could do a lot worse than bringing Scotty back.

Beautox
11-26-2006, 05:41 AM
I know at least 60% of the WSI community is ready for change, but I think we should give Pods one more year. The guy has unreal speed, he is a good contact hitter (most of the time) and is a bargin in left field. I understand ALL of his fielding faults. I wont try to make to many excuses, but he did have a hamstring injurie nagging him for much of the first half. I still stand by Pods.

I don't buy Podsednik's "nagging injuries" if that was the case how was he able to pull it togeather for May with a .318 average and .443OBP to go along with 14SB/3CS? i gave him a pass for March and April because he missed a significant amount of ST, but how do you account from June onward? i think Scott has confidence issues and he has lost a step. He should be moved this offseason.

Bring on Chone "Shawn" Figgins! But if not, we could do a lot worse than bringing Scotty back.

Chone Figgins isn't much of an upgrade over Podsednik at all. Yes hes versatile but thats why we have a bench. He isn't outstanding at anyone position, and hes only 2 years younger than Scott. Scioscia started batting him 9th near the end of the season, because he was struggling just like Scott, then factor in any significant talent you would have to give up to get him and the answer becomes no.

The only person i want coming back from the Angels is 25yr old switch hitting Reggie Willits (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Reggie%20Willits&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=435065). Willits led MILB in OBP; is an excellent bunter, can steal bases all though his technique needs perfecting, and is very good in CF, i would imagine even better in LF. Hes also never repeated a level in the minors.

veeter
11-26-2006, 06:10 AM
I'm just hoping Scotty is still on his 'every other year plan'. Because if he is, he going to have one hell of a year in '07.

Lillian
11-26-2006, 06:40 AM
Regarding the comparison between Figgins and Pods, perhaps one question that we should address is; which position would Figgins be expected to play?
I understand that he is a utility guy on the Angels. However, the Sox have other utility players. I can't see Figgins playing in the infield on the Sox. Cintron, and Ozuna are both better at SS, 3rd and 2nd, all positions which Figgins has played in each of his last 3 seasons in Anaheim.
Most of us agree that we must have a true center fielder, to back up Anderson. I certainly hope the Sox wouldn't ever want Figgins there.
It looks like he would be used almost entirely as a left fielder. Let's try to just compare Pods and Figgins as left fielders. Who is better there, and why?

Regarding their offense, it is very true that both players have had very similar kinds of production, and that in any given year, could almost be interchangeable parts. Isn't the question really whether or not Pods can return to being the type of player that he was, and Figgins probably still is?
If Pods can get back to his level of play during the first half of 2005, there would be little point to replace him with anyone. The problem is that he hasn't been there for a year and a half. I would hope that Herm S. and the medical staff would be in a much better position, than any of us to determine that.
Given the two year age difference, and the lingering affects of the Hernia, you can appreciate anyone who might be a skeptic.

If Pods could just be Pods, we certainly wouldn't have to look elsewhere, especially not Free Agency. However, that is a very big "if".

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-26-2006, 07:16 AM
The only person i want coming back from the Angels is 25yr old switch hitting Reggie Willits (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Reggie%20Willits&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=435065). Willits led MILB in OBP; is an excellent bunter, can steal bases all though his technique needs perfecting, and is very good in CF, i would imagine even better in LF. Hes also never repeated a level in the minors.

Willits only played in 28 games and only 45 At-bats....We all remember what kind of start Pablo had first half(.415-.435), before injuring his hamstring during interleague play (Third game of Astro series). Sure he may look like lightning in a bottle now, but how will those numbers look with 120 more games in the bigs?

chaerulez
11-26-2006, 07:46 AM
Willits only played in 28 games and only 45 At-bats....We all remember what kind of start Pablo had first half(.415-.435), before injuring his hamstring during interleague play (Third game of Astro series). Sure he may look like lightning in a bottle now, but how will those numbers look with 120 more games in the bigs?

Players who have shown good plate discipline in the minors, I think that almost always transfers into the major league level. Matt Murton had a .380 minor league OBP and so far he's had a .370 OBP in the majors. Kevin Youkillis had a .444 minor league OBP, and it has dropped to .379 OBP in the majors, but that's still a good OBP. Putting Willits in as an everyday player might be a risk for a team that is contending for the World Series, but I would rather have him than Pods. Now, am I saying that's who I want? No, but I guess that's how much I don't want Pods back.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Players who have shown good plate discipline in the minors, I think that almost always transfers into the major league level. Matt Murton had a .380 minor league OBP and so far he's had a .370 OBP in the majors. Kevin Youkillis had a .444 minor league OBP, and it has dropped to .379 OBP in the majors, but that's still a good OBP. Putting Willits in as an everyday player might be a risk for a team that is contending for the World Series, but I would rather have him than Pods. Now, am I saying that's who I want? No, but I guess that's how much I don't want Pods back.

A risk? Depends.Lets revise the following questions:

To which degree are you putting this risk at?

You think? How do you know for sure? I'm sure that their has been times where minor leaguers' have great OBP, but it just doesn't show in the majors.

Is Pods worth the liability in LF (and pretty much everything else) again? Probably, but who knows for sure? I cannot predict the future.

Is KW going to leave LF untouched? Don't know, and that is where this discussion seems indecisive.

DaveIsHere
11-26-2006, 08:14 AM
I am down with giving Pods another chance as long as we address Centerfield. If Pods isnt getting it done then we can attempt to address it during the season.

I dont want to trade away solid position in order to address one hole and creating another.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-26-2006, 08:16 AM
I am down with giving Pods another chance as long as we address Centerfield. If Pods isnt getting it done then we can attempt to address it during the season.

I dont want to trade away solid position in order to address one hole and creating another.
That is where most Crawford-heads are lost in utter confusion:smile:

soxinem1
11-26-2006, 08:22 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We could do a lot worse than Pods, and with the way the market is shaping up, the only way we upgrade LF is through a trade. The problem with that is, even the remotely attainable LF'ers are not even close to being lead-off men other than Kenny Lofton, and he is not more than a 110-120 game a year guy now, if that.

I think the White Sox will end up making a trade with the Rangers, who need at least two major league-proven starters (and three if Padilla walks). As it stands, the AL West has no favorite and they know they sorely need the pitching.

The Phillies are another team that may give up Jimmy Rollins (if Pat Burrell were part of the deal) for one of the Sox starters and another player or two.

Thus, it may be quite possible that Pods stays. But the main thing is it is way too early in the off-season to start making the 2007 line-up. Remember, KW is the GM who has the knack for deals late in the off-season.

Now, if we can just get people to stop the Carl Crawford or Vernon Wells as a lead-off man stuff, we'll be headed in the right direction.

itsnotrequired
11-26-2006, 08:23 AM

What needs to be addressed in center field? To me, all that needs to be addressed is adding some razor wire to keep Mackowiak out of there on a regular basis.

samram
11-26-2006, 08:54 AM
The guy has unreal speed

No, not close.

he is a good contact hitter (most of the time)

Not really.

and is a bargin in left field.

No, he's just mediocre.

DaveIsHere
11-26-2006, 08:57 AM
What needs to be addressed in center field? To me, all that needs to be addressed is adding some razor wire to keep Mackowiak out of there on a regular basis.

I love Mack, but I agree, I will puke if they stick him out there AT ALL this season. Make a decision: Brian everyday or someone else EVERY DAY. not this seemingly alcohol induced platoon.

MRM
11-26-2006, 09:02 AM
The guy has unreal speed, he is a good contact hitter (most of the time)

Good contact hitters don't strike out 96 times when hitting lead off.

Beautox
11-26-2006, 09:13 AM

Agreed, plate discipline always transfers to the ML level, maybe not right out of the gate because a player is nervous and in a new environment, but given time to adjust their discipline will return.

As for making Willits an everyday player on the white sox, i wouldn't have a problem with it. We afforded Podsednik that opportunity at age 29 when in the previous year he put up this line (.244/.313/.364) with 58BB/105SO and 70SB/13CS. I would think we could afford to give Willits the same opportunity when he has posted very solid numbers in his short time in the bigs (.267/.411/.289) 11BB/10SO 4SB/3CS in 28 games. His numbers down at AAA were very impressive (.327/.448/.426) 77BB/50SO 31SB/15CS 3HR.

I wish Ozzie and the FO would come to the realization that the white sox hit alot of home runs; 200+ for the last how many years? why not have men on base when we hit those said home runs? Willits isn't one dimensional he draws alot of walks and is an excellent bunter, he has the raw tools to steal bases and he very good defensively.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Agreed, plate discipline always transfers to the ML level, maybe not right out of the gate because a player is nervous and in a new environment, but given time to adjust their discipline will return.

As for making Willits an everyday player on the white sox, i wouldn't have a problem with it. We afforded Podsednik that opportunity at age 29 when in the previous year he put up this line (.244/.313/.364) with 58BB/105SO and 70SB/13CS. I would think we could afford to give Willits the same opportunity when he has posted very solid numbers in his short time in the bigs (.267/.411/.289) 11BB/10SO 4SB/3CS in 28 games. His numbers down at AAA were very impressive (.327/.448/.426) 77BB/50SO 31SB/15CS 3HR.

I wish Ozzie and the FO would come to the realization that the white sox hit alot of home runs; 200+ for the last how many years? why not have men on base when we hit those said home runs? Willits isn't one dimensional he draws alot of walks and is an excellent bunter, he has the raw tools to steal bases and he very good defensively.

To say always is a bit extreme. The minors and the majors are 2 different concepts a player has to get used to. Now, I'm not knocking you that saying always is utter rubbish. But on ground terms, saying always is a little bit indecisive.

Beautox
11-26-2006, 09:29 AM
To say always is a bit extreme. The minors and the majors are 2 different concepts a player has to get used to. Now, I'm not knocking that saying always is utter rubbish. But on ground terms, saying always is a little bit indecisive.
Do me a favor Cuck, go find 3 players who's OBP skills haven't transfered to the ML with more than 150ABs. Players don't just lose their batting eye and strike zone judgment, if anything it gets better because the major league strike zone is tighter.

Also AAA isn't even the real testing ground; AA is where all the real talent is at, AAA is just a waiting room for players. For proof take a look at Dan Uggla and Hanley Ramirez, infact just look at 85% of the Marlins roster last year.

lizard6king6
11-26-2006, 09:32 AM
I liked Pods the day we got him and I wil always like Pods. I think at least 1 more year would be a good idea but baseball is a buisness so only time will tell. Whatever happens, in KW I trust.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Do me a favor Cuck, go find 3 players who's OBP skills haven't transfered to the ML with more than 150ABs. Players don't just lose their batting eye and strike zone judgment, if anything it gets better because the major league strike zone is tighter.

Also AAA isn't even the real testing ground; AA is where all the real talent is at, AAA is just a waiting room for players. For proof take a look at Dan Uggla and Hanley Ramirez, infact just look at 85% of the Marlins roster last year.

Can this be true for Joe Borchard? :?:
Man why did we give him to the Marlins? His numbers are through the roof.

The major league hitting zone gets tighter, which means there are fewer balls, less walks, and less pitches that are hittable. You just totally contradicted yourself.

Jjav829
11-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Can this be true for Joe Borchard? :?:
Man why did we give him to the Marlins? His numbers are through the roof.

The major league hitting zone gets tighter, which means there are fewer balls, less walks, and less pitches that are hittable. You just totally contradicted yourself.

Huh? How does a tighter strike zone lead to fewer balls and less walks? It's the exact opposite.

And Joe Borchard's plate discipline transferred pretty accurately to the big leagues.

But on ground terms, saying always is a little bit indecisive.
"Always" seems pretty decisive to me. :?:

I'm really not sure what you're trying to argue, but you should probably quit now before you're too far behind.

Beautox
11-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Huh? How does a tighter strike zone lead to fewer

I'm really not sure what you're trying to argue, but you should probably quit now before you're too far behind.

lol too late :rolleyes:

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Huh? How does a tighter strike zone lead to fewer balls and less walks? It's the exact opposite.

And Joe Borchard's plate discipline transferred pretty accurately to the big leagues.

What the hell are you smoking? Tighter strike zones are due to better pitchers.

Better pitchers>batters

You don't all of a sudden get better in the bigs when you come from the minors. That's proposterous, and that's exactly what Botox or whatever the hell's his name stated.

Beautox
11-26-2006, 10:24 AM

Better pitchers>batters

You don't all of a sudden get better in the bigs when you come from the minors. That's proposterous, and that's exactly what Botox or whatever the hell's his name stated.

Wrong. Strike Zones are indicative to better umpiring. For example in the minors this past year umps went on strike and so they had to be replaced with high school and JuCo umps, whos strike zones were more lax than the umpires they had replaced.

Next, when you play against better competion you get better its as simple as that, at AA someone might have a very nasty 12-6 hook but more often than not they don't get it over for a strike, in the bigs they do. Secondly you can easily look up and see my name is Beautox...n00b.

russ99
11-26-2006, 10:30 AM
I'd love to see Pods (and Uribe) stay on the team in 07, but I also think Kenny needs to find some alternatives in case one or both players has a late 2006-like start to next season.

The Sox need better production next year from those two positions than what we saw in August and September.

Maybe trading for some talented (minor league?) backups would be the way to go. Also, while Cintron and Mack could handle the jobs, I'm not sure if they could be full-time starters. They're too valuable as bench players.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Wrong. Strike Zones are indicative to better umpiring. For example in the minors this past year umps went on strike and so they had to be replaced with high school and JuCo umps, whos strike zones were more lax than the umpires they had replaced.

Next, when you play against better competion you get better its as simple as that, at AA someone might have a very nasty 12-6 hook but more often than not they don't get it over for a strike, in the bigs they do. Secondly you can easily look up and see my name is Beautox...n00b.
Ok sweet. So if I go play football with the Chicago Bears I'll become all pro and become ripped?

Beautox
11-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Ok sweet. So if I go play football with the Chicago Bears I'll become all pro and become ripped?

*shakes head*

Well seeing how your 16 and haven't finished maturing, i doubt you would last long with them but i digress.

jabrch
11-26-2006, 10:37 AM
I'd love to upgrade over Pods. But I wouldn't like to spend 100mm on 6 years of Carlos Lee of whatever Garry Matthews Jr. just got. Figgins is absolutely no improvement over Pods. If we don't aquire a major improvement, Pods, at about 3mm, is a serviceable LF at his worst (2006) and a very good one at his best (2005).

If there's nothing better, I'll take him, and not complain about it. Remember back one year he had a fantastic season. It's not outrageous that he could do it again.

chaerulez
11-26-2006, 10:46 AM

Better pitchers>batters

A tight strike zone means an umpire's zone is smaller. I don't see how that's a debate. Borchard had an average OBP of .347 in the minors and now has a .284 OBP in the majors. However, the drop in OBP isn't because he wasn't taking walks. He can't HIT. In fact in 2006 he averaged more walks per plate apperance than he did in 2005 in AAA. In fact I would say there are more players that get better plate patience after they get a MLB career started, than ones that "lose" their plate patience. Look at the top active OBP players that aren't aided by steroids. Helton, Pujols, Berkman, Abreu, Manny, Thome, Giles all have similar or better OBP's in the majors than the minors. If someone's OBP doesn't translate from the minor league level to the majors is almost always because they can't HIT. Players all of a sudden dont' forget how to take a walk or work the count.

hi im skot
11-26-2006, 10:58 AM
While I agree that we could do far worse than Podsednik, I'm starting to wonder if he's still a good guy to have in the clubhouse. This guy always appeared to be moping; he obviously had his troubles this year, but continued to pout when things went wrong.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Buehrle, like Podsednik, has a disappointing year. Buehrle, like Podsednik, takes responsibility for his struggles, but unlike Podsednik, continues to keep a good attitude. This guy was always loose, joking around with teammates and kept a smile on his face. I guarantee Buehrle and Podsednik were (and are) just as frustrated with their performances this season, but at least Mark continued to be a bright spot (from what we fans can tell) in the clubhouse. I could see Podesednik becoming an issue in the clubhouse if he wants to continue to feel sorry for himself.

I love Scott and will be forever grateful for the spark he provided in 2005, but if he wants to keep up the pouting, I'll pass.

Beautox
11-26-2006, 11:00 AM
He can't HIT.

Thats not entirely true. When Joe failed to gain any sense of pitch recognition, he became a guess hitter. when he guess right it goes a very long distance as seen on 08/30/04

Jjav829
11-26-2006, 11:05 AM

Better pitchers>batters

Cuck_The_Fubs, do you understand what a "tight strike zone" means? It's referring to what is called a ball and what is called a strike. The tightness of the zone is how high and low, and how far inside and outside the umpire is calling pitches. A tighter strike zone means that pitchers aren't getting those few inches off the sides of the zone called strikes.

Let me also clarify for you the term plate discipline, another term with which you seem to be having trouble. Plate discipline refers to how willing a batter is to take pitches and recognize what is and isn't a strike. An extremely disciplined hitter is better able to see balls and strikes and isn't as willing to expand his zone to reach for a pitch. That type of thing generally does not leave a hitter. If a hitter is a hacker in the minors, he's usually going to be a hacker in the majors. Likewise, if a hitter is patient in the minors, he's usually going to be patient in the majors. That doesn't mean they are going to be as good at each level, but their approach at the plate is usually not going to change much.

Palehose13
11-26-2006, 11:47 AM
This is what I believe:

The Sox need better offensive production from one of these three positions (LF, CF, SS) next year. I also believe that KW will do something to address at least one of these positions.

Sorry, Anderson-heads...not sold on him yet.

batmanZoSo
11-26-2006, 12:09 PM
I stood by that train in vain long enough. I want Crawdad.

Palehose13
11-26-2006, 12:20 PM
I stood by that train in vain long enough. I want Crawdad.

So you're a Crawford-head too that doesn't realize...well, I'm still trying to figure out what holes would be created by getting Crawford, but yeah he's #1 on my list.

whitesoxfan1986
11-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Let me also clarify for you the term plate discipline, another term with which you seem to be having trouble. Plate discipline refers to how willing a batter is to take pitches and recognize what is and isn't a strike. An extremely disciplined hitter is better able to see balls and strikes and isn't as willing to expand his zone to reach for a pitch. That type of thing generally does not leave a hitter. If a hitter is a hacker in the minors, he's usually going to be a hacker in the majors. Likewise, if a hitter is patient in the minors, he's usually going to be patient in the majors. That doesn't mean they are going to be as good at each level, but their approach at the plate is usually not going to change much.

Then by that statement the Sox should trade Josh Fields now while his value is still high because he is going to be Borchard all over again.

Palehose13
11-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Then by that statement the Sox should trade Josh Fields now while his value is still high because he is going to be Borchard all over again.

:?:

I think you read a little too much into that.

chaerulez
11-26-2006, 01:22 PM
People perceive me as a mentally challenged person on this forum. I'm entirely ok with that

No, you just don't seem to get the idea that when the phrase "tight strike zone" is used it is used in reference to an umpire and not a player.

Great analysis of his comments.

I want Mags back
11-26-2006, 02:06 PM
i think hes coimng back. we wonr find anyone cheaper

Jjav829
11-26-2006, 08:09 PM

I never said a player can't improve his plate discipline over time, or that as a hitter starts to become more of a threat, he won't see less good pitches. It's far more likely that a player becomes more patient than less patient. You're generally not going to see a player who has great plate discipline suddenly lose that discipline at the major league level. It's possible he might press early on in an effort to show he belongs and swing at bad pitches, but in due time, that discipline will usually show itself.

Palehose13
11-28-2006, 12:15 PM
We don't have too much good baseball discussion going on(especially when Ross Gload is getting everyone excited) and to let this die because of a few posts is a travesty.

I'm saying at least one of the three(LF, CF, SS) has to be improved offensively. I am anxious to see what KW is going to do.

maurice
11-28-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm saying at least one of the three(LF, CF, SS) has to be improved offensively.

It's a frustrating situation. Usually, it's very easy to get an offensive upgrade in LF, especially a slugger. There's absolutely no reason to have a LF who can't produce offensively, since it's the opposite of a premium defensive position. KW's problem is that the interim LF also is the leadoff hitter, and good leadoff hitters are hard to acquire.

With mediocre players getting huge contracts this offseason, it's trade or nothing. KW has some valuable chips to trade, but can he find a partner who can offer an acceptable leadoff hitter? Based on his recent comments to the Cubune, he's been getting some sad offers. On the bright side, things have to heat up after the FA sweepstakes is done.

Palehose13
11-28-2006, 12:55 PM
It's a frustrating situation. Usually, it's very easy to get an offensive upgrade in LF, especially a slugger. There's absolutely no reason to have a LF who can't produce offensively, since it's the opposite of a premium defensive position. KW's problem is that the interim LF also is the leadoff hitter, and good leadoff hitters are hard to acquire.

With mediocre players getting huge contracts this offseason, it's trade or nothing. KW has some valuable chips to trade, but can he find a partner who can offer an acceptable leadoff hitter? Based on his recent comments to the Cubune, he's been getting some sad offers. On the bright side, things have to heat up after the FA sweepstakes is done.

I agree with you completely and that is one reason why I think Podsednik will stay. It may be just easier to upgrade CF and/or SS instead of trying to get a new leadoff hitter.

maurice
11-28-2006, 01:10 PM
If KW sticks with Podsednik (what's the opposite of deeppink?), could this be the year that he finally lands Vizquel?

Ozzie would be thrilled. He gets his long-time buddy, upgrades his small-ball game, and also gets to move Iguchi down in the order.

KW also would be thrilled, because he would be continuing his quest to acquire every player on the 1999 Cleveland Jndjans roster. Wait, aren't Manny Ramirez and Jaret Wright available this offseason?

MRM
11-29-2006, 07:03 PM
If KW sticks with Podsednik (what's the opposite of deeppink?), could this be the year that he finally lands Vizquel?

Ozzie would be thrilled. He gets his long-time buddy, upgrades his small-ball game, and also gets to move Iguchi down in the order.

KW also would be thrilled, because he would be continuing his quest to acquire every player on the 1999 Cleveland Jndjans roster. Wait, aren't Manny Ramirez and Jaret Wright available this offseason?

I made a joke about getting Manny a few days ago, then today I see a rumor that the Sox are potentially interested in him and the other Sox are lessening their demands for him. Hmmm...

Put Manny in left, ARod at SS give up two starters and the farm to get them. I'm all for it. Don't need a speedy leadoff hitter when 1 thru 9 are all great hitters with power :D:

Heck, in a lineup like that ARod could hit leadoff or 7th and really would have no room to complain about either, lol.

Mohoney
12-01-2006, 04:32 AM
Good contact hitters don't strike out 96 times when hitting lead off.

I have to think that at least 40 of those were looking. That can be cut down.

If he can get to an area with less than 70 Ks, with his speed, I'll definitely keep him and hope that guys like Mark Buehrle, Javy Vazquez, and Brandon McCarthy show me more than what they showed me in 2006. Those guys are not above blame, either.

Grzegorz
12-01-2006, 05:01 AM
2006 Figgins:
G: 155; AB: 604; R: 93; H: 161; 2B: 23; 3B: 8; HR: 9; RBI: 62; SB: 52; CS: 16; BB: 65
SO: 100; BA: .267; OBP: .336; SLG: .376

2006 Podsednik:
G: 139; AB: 524; R: 86; H: 137; 2B: 27; 3B: 6; HR: 3; RBI: 45; SB: 40; CS: 19; BB: 54
SO: 96; BA: .261; OBP: .330; SLG: .353

Sure Podsednik needs to improve, especially in the field, but how exactly is Chone Figgins a significant upgrade over Pods? Unless Figgins comes over in a deal that addresses a number of White Sox issues I fail to see how people on this board look at Figgins as a difference maker based on performance.

MRM
12-01-2006, 11:59 PM
I have to think that at least 40 of those were looking. That can be cut down.

If he can get to an area with less than 70 Ks, with his speed, I'll definitely keep him and hope that guys like Mark Buehrle, Javy Vazquez, and Brandon McCarthy show me more than what they showed me in 2006. Those guys are not above blame, either.

I don't oppose having Pods at all, especially considering the alternatives. Looks like the front office agrees with todays re-signing. cutting down the SOs isn't as easy as it sound's, though. He's averaged 102 per 162 games for his career. It's not a new phenomenon.

Just get on base, Pods. Don't even need that many steals anymore. Just get on and run the bases well when the ball is put in play behind you and I'll be happy.

MRM
12-02-2006, 12:03 AM
2006 Figgins:
G: 155; AB: 604; R: 93; H: 161; 2B: 23; 3B: 8; HR: 9; RBI: 62; SB: 52; CS: 16; BB: 65
SO: 100; BA: .267; OBP: .336; SLG: .376

2006 Podsednik:
G: 139; AB: 524; R: 86; H: 137; 2B: 27; 3B: 6; HR: 3; RBI: 45; SB: 40; CS: 19; BB: 54
SO: 96; BA: .261; OBP: .330; SLG: .353

Sure Podsednik needs to improve, especially in the field, but how exactly is Chone Figgins a significant upgrade over Pods? Unless Figgins comes over in a deal that addresses a number of White Sox issues I fail to see how people on this board look at Figgins as a difference maker based on performance.

This has been addressed multiple times in multiple threads now. If you look at their 162 game averages they are IDENTICAL. Basically, anyone who doesn't like Pods at all makes excuses and rationalizes why Figgins is somehow better. To anyone objective, they are the same guy. There is zero way to justify Figgins over Pods with any kind of credibility.

Tragg
12-04-2006, 08:19 AM

I'm with you. I'd like an upgrade over Pods, but Figgins isn't much of one and Figgins would cost us talent.

Hangar18
12-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Pods is with us in 07, so we have no choice to pull badly for him. You know the comparisons are going to be there right out of the box Opening Day
the $2million man vs. the $136 million man. The SOX think theyve made a small tweak in him ............ Lets Go Pods!

soxfanatlanta
12-04-2006, 08:11 PM
I never said a player can't improve his plate discipline over time, or that as a hitter starts to become more of a threat, he won't see less good pitches. It's far more likely that a player becomes more patient than less patient. You're generally not going to see a player who has great plate discipline suddenly lose that discipline at the major league level. It's possible he might press early on in an effort to show he belongs and swing at bad pitches, but in due time, that discipline will usually show itself.

I have always wanted to see an example of a player who makes long term progress of their discipline, but I come up empty? Can you site a player?

Like him or not, Pods is here for another year; I just hope Ozzie and KW are willing to pull the plug on him if he does not improve; they need a plan B for left field.

schmitty9800
12-05-2006, 12:47 AM
I have always wanted to see an example of a player who makes long term progress of their discipline, but I come up empty? Can you site a player?
Easily: Joe Crede. He didn't become an effective major league hitter until he learned how to lay off bad balls. Now he's one of the tougher outs we've got.

rbeze09
12-07-2006, 10:28 AM
well we got wily taveras, apparently....ive been calling podsednik's head, but i didnt want to get a leadoff man at this cost

hi im skot
12-07-2006, 10:39 AM
well we got wily taveras, apparently....ive been calling podsednik's head, but i didnt want to get a leadoff man at this cost

Yeah, um...scratch that.

rbeze09
12-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Yeah, um...scratch that.

thank god

Palehose13
12-07-2006, 01:22 PM

Yeah, um...scratch that.

thank god

What did I miss?