PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox closing in on J.D. Drew

Fenway
11-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Progress made in talks with Drew (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/11/25/progress_made_in_drew_talks)

Don't be deceived by the silence. The Red Sox are quietly but aggressively trying to close a deal for outfielder J.D. Drew, who opted out of the last three years and $33 million of his contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers to become a free agent. (By Gordon Edes)

looks like he will get the money they wouldn't give to Damon. Also means Trot Nixon needs a job. ( he will be a nice pickup for somebody )

Brian26
11-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Progress made in talks with Drew (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/11/25/progress_made_in_drew_talks)

Don't be deceived by the silence. The Red Sox are quietly but aggressively trying to close a deal for outfielder J.D. Drew, who opted out of the last three years and $33 million of his contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers to become a free agent. (By Gordon Edes)

looks like he will get the money they wouldn't give to Damon. Also means Trot Nixon needs a job. ( he will be a nice pickup for somebody )

I was just thinking about Kenny Williams' fascination with Trot Nixon. He was supposedly after him about three years ago. It doesn't help much in regards to team speed, and Trot primarily plays RF, so it's not really a good fit.

getonbckthr
11-25-2006, 12:30 PM
I was just thinking about Kenny Williams' fascination with Trot Nixon. He was supposedly after him about three years ago. It doesn't help much in regards to team speed, and Trot primarily plays RF, so it's not really a good fit.
Could always either put Trot or JD in LF.

jabrch
11-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Could always either put Trot or JD in LF.

NO THANKS. Nixon is a platoon player - not a starter. He's MISERABLE vs LHP. I don't even like him vs RHP, but I can't stand him vs LHP. I don't want to see this asshat anywhere near the Sox.

Just an aside, I can't help but notice the significant drop in power that Nixon had starting in 2004, and the fact that he's started to get hurt a bit more, averaging about 90 games per year since then. I have no idea why this might be - but whatever it is, I don't want him.

His only valuable skill is that he doesn't swing at a lot of bad pitches. That alone is not enough to waste $, a roster spot, and ABs on him.

caulfield12
11-25-2006, 01:23 PM
If he signs Drew for $15 million plus per season after passing on Damon (creating this problem in the first place) and Mr. Gyroball goes south on him, I'm going to laugh when he goes into one of his occasional Epstein rants about not being able to compete financially with the Evil Empire.

Fenway
11-25-2006, 01:37 PM
If he signs Drew for $15 million plus per season after passing on Damon (creating this problem in the first place) and Mr. Gyroball goes south on him, I'm going to laugh when he goes into one of his occasional Epstein rants about not being able to compete financially with the Evil Empire.

The Red Sox are saying payroll will be about $148M( the cap level for the tax )

I wish the Red Sox would **** about not being able to keep up with NYY. The reality is 28 other teams can't keep up with Boston. Boston doesn't have any revenue problems.

caulfield12
11-25-2006, 01:45 PM
The Red Sox are saying payroll will be about $148M( the cap level for the tax )

I wish the Red Sox would **** about not being able to keep up with NYY. The reality is 28 other teams can't keep up with Boston. Boston doesn't have any revenue problems.

If it's not that, he's complaining about how the poor play of his team impacted his nuptials last summer, lol.

All of these "young proteges" are not doing so hot. Daniels is really struggling now in Texas with that team, I guess Ricciardi has done okay in Toronto (but the backing of Gibbons?) but it will be a fiasco if he gives up Vernon Wells for anything less than top value in return.

DePodesta didn't have the greatest stay in LA either.

Ryan, Beane and Dombrowski are more from that "next generation" that used to be the young guns 10 years ago.

jabrch
11-25-2006, 02:31 PM
If it's not that, he's complaining about how the poor play of his team impacted his nuptials last summer, lol.

All of these "young proteges" are not doing so hot. Daniels is really struggling now in Texas with that team, I guess Ricciardi has done okay in Toronto (but the backing of Gibbons?) but it will be a fiasco if he gives up Vernon Wells for anything less than top value in return.

DePodesta didn't have the greatest stay in LA either.

Ryan, Beane and Dombrowski are more from that "next generation" that used to be the young guns 10 years ago.

Re-inventing the game may not have been as easy as the propeller heads thought it would be?

Fenway
11-29-2006, 11:03 AM
Watch this deal carefully because if it happens then Manny is going somewhere

Red Sox, Drew close to deal (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/11/29/sox_drew_close)

The Red Sox are nearing the completion of a deal with J.D. Drew that would pay Drew $14 million a year for a total of around $70 million.

oeo
11-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Watch this deal carefully because if it happens then Manny is going somewhere

Red Sox, Drew close to deal (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/11/29/sox_drew_close)

The Red Sox are nearing the completion of a deal with J.D. Drew that would pay Drew $14 million a year for a total of around $70 million.

I can't believe they're replacing Manny with J.D. Drew. That lineup is going to lose a lot without Manny, especially Ortiz.

palehozenychicty
11-29-2006, 11:27 AM
I can't believe they're replacing Manny with J.D. Drew. That lineup is going to lose a lot without Manny, especially Ortiz.

Exactly. The moves that the Sawx have made since the '04 WS have been really really stupid. Damon for Crisp for possibly J.D. Drew :o: , Wily Mo, Cabrera for Renteria, dumped Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez for Beckett, who has done little outside of the 2003 postseason, Meredith and Bard for Mirabelli. It's official. Epstein doesn't know what he's doing. Period.

Fenway
11-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Exactly. The moves that the Sawx have made since the '04 WS have been really really stupid. Damon for Crisp for possibly J.D. Drew :o: , Wily Mo, Cabrera for Renteria, dumped Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez for Beckett, who has done little outside of the 2003 postseason, Meredith and Bard for Mirabelli. It's official. Epstein doesn't know what he's doing. Period.

I think is in way over his head. If Boston does not make the post-season he may well be gone.

A Boston columnist is begging the Red Sox NOT to make the deal

Red Sox’ fascination with Drew obscene
(http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=169382)By Gerry Callahan
(http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=169382)If all the rumors are true, the Red Sox this week will sign a veteran player with power, patience, speed, a rocket arm and an OBP that lets off a...

Paulwny
11-29-2006, 01:51 PM

Yep, Ortiz won't see a strike.

Craig Grebeck
11-29-2006, 04:11 PM
I think is in way over his head. If Boston does not make the post-season he may well be gone.

A Boston columnist is begging the Red Sox NOT to make the deal

Red Sox’ fascination with Drew obscene
(http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=169382)By Gerry Callahan
If all the rumors are true, the Red Sox this week will sign a veteran player with power, patience, speed, a rocket arm and an OBP that lets off a...
That may very well be the worst article I've ever read. He lambastes them for not signing Alex Gonzalez, but won't advocate signing a CF with insane production. Good choice Gerry.

Fenway
11-29-2006, 04:17 PM
That may very well be the worst article I've ever read. He lambastes them for not signing Alex Gonzalez, but won't advocate signing a CF with insane production. Good choice Gerry.

Routine for the "Knights of the Keyboard"

Callahan has way too much influence in this market as he is also a co-host of WEEI's morning drive show

caulfield12
11-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Who was the CF with insane production? I hope you're not referring to Damon OR Drew?

Alex Gonzalez going so easily was a little puzzling, and they're losing Loretta as well, not to mention the age of Lowell.

The Red Sox are actually starting to resemble the 90's Dodgers teams with Strawberry, Eric Davis...tons of talent and no team to speak of. Ironic, then, that Drew would be coming from an obscene deal in LA that he had the temerity to walk away from for an even worse deal in Boston...he's just not a good match for that market, he will be eaten alive and become the whipping boy for all those who want to see Golden Boy Esptein gone.

It's annoying when geeky sportswriters keep referring to Elin Nordegren (Tiger's wife) with such envy. C'mon guys, leave her alone. I can just see another lawsuit from Team Woods.