PDA

View Full Version : P. Rogers names 13 candidates to replace Pods

caulfield12
11-25-2006, 12:17 AM
and/or Anderson and suggests a Uribe/Pods/prospects deal for Vizquel...

Some interesting new names that haven't been discussed much around here lately...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-061125rogers,1,2137639.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

crazyozzie02
11-25-2006, 12:17 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-061125rogers,1,2137639.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Its an intresting read, but ray durham in the outfield, im mean come on

BanditJimmy
11-25-2006, 01:01 AM
I would make that deal with SF in a heart beat if it involved a mid level prospect.

FedEx227
11-25-2006, 02:16 AM
Um, where did Phil get the idea that...

1) Durham can play OF

2) Durham wants to play OF

3) Anybody wants Durham to play OF

He's played all of 1 game in his pro career in the OF.

Beautox
11-25-2006, 03:57 AM
Phil is just throwing stuff against a wall hoping it sticks.

In a recent article he was suggesting we send Uribe + Pods and Sweeney to the Giants for Vizquel, good one Phil :smile:.

The Giants would be lucky to get Uribe and someone like Rogo, since Niekro hasn't exactly lived up to the hype.

Grzegorz
11-25-2006, 05:02 AM
Hmm, Rocco Baldelli...

"We certainly can't outspend them. But even though they're stocking up, I'm not afraid of them." -- Brewers manager Ned Yost on the Cubs.

I love it!

A. Cavatica
11-25-2006, 10:54 AM
Phil is just throwing stuff against a wall hoping it sticks.

In a recent article he was suggesting we send Uribe + Pods and Sweeney to the Giants for Vizquel, good one Phil :smile:.

The Giants would be lucky to get Uribe and someone like Rogo, since Niekro hasn't exactly lived up to the hype.

I'd hesitate about Uribe for Vizquel straight up, given their ages.

MrX
11-25-2006, 11:33 AM
J.D. Drew-to-the-Red Sox was supposed to be a done deal but still hasn't been announced. Maybe agent Scott Boras just wants to give the Cubs more time to up the ante. ...
Please let this be true. They will turn into the Texas Rangers with worse starting pitching.

Gavin
11-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Man-ram
Burrell
Andruw Jones
Baldelli
Chone Figgins
Geoff Jenkins
Jacque Jones
Floyd
Lofton
Delucci
Preston Wilson
Darin Erstad
Ray Durham

caulfield12
11-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Please let this be true. They will turn into the Texas Rangers with worse starting pitching.

Schilling
Wakefield
Papelbon
Gyroball
Beckett

The Rangers don't even have a #2 starter. The Red Sox, on paper, have one of the best rotations in baseball, if healthy.

BanditJimmy
11-25-2006, 02:51 PM
I'd hesitate about Uribe for Vizquel straight up, given their ages.

You're kidding right?

They both are signed for 1 yr deals at about the same price.

Ask yourself the question, who would take for 1 (one) year to play SS for you in 2007?

caulfield12
11-25-2006, 03:00 PM
I guess the issue is we don't seem to have a replacement in Valido anymore, so we would have to start all over again at SS in the FA market.

Then again, who's to say we wouldn't have to do the same thing with another subpar year from Uribe?

MrX
11-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Schilling
Wakefield
Papelbon
Gyroball
Beckett

The Rangers don't even have a #2 starter. The Red Sox, on paper, have one of the best rotations in baseball, if healthy.
I was talking about the part where he says the Cubs may be involved.

maurice
11-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Phil, when did you get possessed by Sam Smith?

Ol' No. 2
11-27-2006, 04:57 PM
The Red Sox, on paper, have one of the best rotations in baseball, if healthy.You can say that about a lot of 3rd place teams.

caulfield12
11-27-2006, 05:53 PM
You can say that about a lot of 3rd place teams.

Including the 2006 White Sox...lol!

Flight #24
11-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Schilling - About to retire
Wakefield - Aging & injured
Papelbon - Youngster, hasn't started and just had arm problems
Gyroball - unknown both performance-wise and culturally, and no pressure after costing up to $100M
Beckett - One of the worst in the AL last year

Yup, that's pretty sweet right there.

oeo
11-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Schilling
Wakefield
Papelbon
Gyroball
Beckett

Schilling is over-the-hill, Wakefield is a knuckleballer, Papelbon (although a good closer) has not shown that he can start yet, Gyroball hasn't thrown an MLB pitch yet, and Beckett is so overrated he makes Kerry Wood look like a no-name (that guy is living off his 2003 postseason). Sounds like they put together a bunch of question marks to me...

caulfield12
11-27-2006, 06:58 PM
However, you can do the same thing with the White Sox rotation (like one of the WSI headline articles)

Garland...18 game winner two years in a row, but "average" ERA, no strikeout pitch and has yet to put together two halves of a season

Buehrle...the next Mark Hampton or Denny Neagle? is he injured, has he completely lost the feel for his change, will he get 2-3 MPH back on his fastball and will he be able to adjust to Questec AND other teams "figuring out" the tip-off in his delivery?

Contreras...ace or 56 year old? will he pitch like he did against Detroit coming down the stretch or regress to first half 2005 form?

Vazquez...see Beckett, minus 3-4 MPH on the fastball

Garcia...is he done as a power pitcher or was his fastball showing signs of recovery late in the season? does he even want to stay in Chicago?

McCarthy...??? will the real Brandon please stand up!

oeo
11-27-2006, 07:00 PM
However, you can do the same thing with the White Sox rotation (like one of the WSI headline articles)

Garland...18 game winner two years in a row, but "average" ERA, no strikeout pitch and has yet to put together two halves of a season

Buehrle...the next Mark Hampton or Denny Neagle? is he injured, has he completely lost the feel for his change, will he get 2-3 MPH back on his fastball and will he be able to adjust to Questec AND other teams "figuring out" the tip-off in his delivery?

Contreras...ace or 56 year old? will he pitch like he did against Detroit coming down the stretch or regress to first half 2005 form?

Vazquez...see Beckett, minus 3-4 MPH on the fastball

Garcia...is he done as a power pitcher or was his fastball showing signs of recovery late in the season? does he even want to stay in Chicago?

McCarthy...??? will the real Brandon please stand up!

I never said the Sox had one of the best rotations in baseball. You said that the Red Sox did, though. And that's a pretty bold statement. I'll take our 5 over their 5 anyday.

caulfield12
11-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Yes, on paper...of course, you could do the same thing with the Cubs if all of their starters were healthy, especially Prior and Miller.

There are 10-12 teams that can make the argument that they look very good on paper, the rest are strong 1-3 (maybe) but are a crapshoot filling out of the rest of the rotation.

maurice
11-27-2006, 09:47 PM
I'll take our 5 over their 5 anyday.

And so would the Red Sox.