PDA

View Full Version : Sullivan On Cowley...

The Wall
11-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Saw this interesting bit in NewYork Post so take it for what it is:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11222006/sports/yankees/why_we_snubbed_jeter_for_award_yankees_george_king .htm

In 2003, when he worked for the Daily Southtown, Cowley left Carlos Delgado and Vernon Wells off his ballot. Chicago chapter chairman Paul Sullivan suspended Cowley from voting the following year because he didn't think Cowley took the voting seriously and "embarrassed" the Chicago chapter.

Thats Pual Sullivan of the mouthpiece of the same cubune.

FedEx227
11-25-2006, 03:20 AM
When Sullivan is calling your credibility into question... WOW

Mohoney
11-25-2006, 04:13 AM
How in the hell is Paul Sullivan a chairman for ANYTHING except a Cubbie cheer brigade?

I GUARANTEE that Paul Sullivan votes Sammy Sosa in on the first ballot. He makes Cowley look like Einstein.

MarySwiss
11-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Well, here we go again with that good ol' fashioned NYY indignity-fest! So what else is new?

IMO, if these guys are allowed to vote, it's up to them who they want to vote for, and if people don't like it, tough.

Gregory Pratt
11-25-2006, 11:12 AM
How in the hell is Paul Sullivan a chairman for ANYTHING except a Cubbie cheer brigade?

I GUARANTEE that Paul Sullivan votes Sammy Sosa in on the first ballot. He makes Cowley look like Einstein.

Sosa has the numbers to be a first-ballot HOFer. I wouldn't vote for him (he's an obvious juicer if ever there were was one) but it isn't wholly indefensible. At least there are no stories on him that REALLY show his juicing like with Bonds.

SOXPHILE
11-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Sosa has the numbers to be a first-ballot HOFer. I wouldn't vote for him (he's an obvious juicer if ever there were was one) but it isn't wholly indefensible. At least there are no stories on him that REALLY show his juicing like with Bonds.

No, it is wholly indefensible. He went through a complete body transformation from 1991-1998. He went from a skinny, base stealer, .220 hitter, to a bloated, puffed up "home run hitter". Just because there aren't (yet) the stories surrounding him like there are with Bonds, just wait a few years. Bonds got more scrutiny than him due to Bonds being a complete, unapolgetic jackass to everyone-fans, media, fellow players, etc. Sosa was and is a jerk to his own teamates and many in the media, but was able to sell a phony image of himself to the fans, as this sweet, happy, go lucky player who just wanted to make everyone happy too, and the (Tribune led) Chicago media spoon fed it to the blue sheep, and the rest of the country who in turn happily slurped it up. Wait a few years, because this steroids -HGH issue isn't going away anytime soon, and when many of his former teamates begin retiring, the stories will start coming.

DrCrawdad
11-26-2006, 11:13 AM
No, it is wholly indefensible. He went through a complete body transformation from 1991-1998. He went from a skinny, base stealer, .220 hitter, to a bloated, puffed up "home run hitter". Just because there aren't (yet) the stories surrounding him like there are with Bonds, just wait a few years. Bonds got more scrutiny than him due to Bonds being a complete, unapolgetic jackass to everyone-fans, media, fellow players, etc. Sosa was and is a jerk to his own teamates and many in the media, but was able to sell a phony image of himself to the fans, as this sweet, happy, go lucky player who just wanted to make everyone happy too, and the (Tribune led) Chicago media spoon fed it to the blue sheep, and the rest of the country who in turn happily slurped it up. Wait a few years, because this steroids -HGH issue isn't going away anytime soon, and when many of his former teamates begin retiring, the stories will start coming.

I agree. It will be interesting to sit back and watch the reactions to the stories of Sosa's usage of performance enhancing drugs and then remember the medias treatment of Sosa AND Cubbie fans denial when Sosa wore a Cubbie uniform.

When those stories come out I wish someone would play tapes of the Sosa denials and the local medias refusing to press him. Then there was the local medias disgusting giggling at Sosa's (not-so-artful) dodges.

IMHO Bruce LeVineline and Les Grobstein were two of the biggest Sosa-steroid deniers in town. These two both refused to take Sosa to task when he was caught cheating (with the corked bat) and both stood by their guy's lame denial of the corked bat.

Save McCuddy's
11-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Call me the first Paul Sullivan Apologist.

When a writer is assigned the beat of a particular team, in this case the CUBS, he does not have to be treated with the lack of respect that we assign to that club. It's his job to report the news as it specifically relates to them. He is not a cubune homer. In fact, he was kicked off the cub beat back in '99 or so for criticizing personnel decisions, etc. The Tribune "demoted" him as punishment to beat write for our pale hose. Not surprisingly, that's the hierarchy of positions in that paper. At any rate, he served his time with us and was restored to the top spot and has been relegated to the hell of covering that ridiculous team. To his credit, he remained critical of Baker, Hendry and that sad club the past three years.

As far as Cowley is concerned -- weak explanation on his voting habits.

#1 - No, not just anyone could have been plugged into Jeter's spot and turned in similar numbers. Where does he get this idea?

#2 - The idea that the Yankee line-up was loaded is a bit off base. Jeter carried that team when Sheffield and Matsui went down and A-Rod was struggling. Our line-up was loaded. With Thome as the focal point for the majority of the season and Crede's big year, we featured 4 big time middle of the order hitters. I love JD, but there's no way I could say that he single handedly carried our team.

#3 - Along the same lines, Mauer was the main man in the Twin line-up and played a far more important defensive position than Morneau. I have no idea how 15 writers felt he was the more valuable than not only every other player in the AL, but more importantly than the most important player in his own line-up.

WizardsofOzzie
11-30-2006, 11:58 AM
The testimony that Sosa gave about steroids (or lack thereof since he "forgot" how to speak english for a day) will go hand in hand with how it affects McGwire. Many people have already said they won't vote McGwire into the hall, and i expect to see the same thing happen to Sosa. They might get in someday down the road (god i hope not) but the won't be first ballot

the gooch
11-30-2006, 05:12 PM

When a writer is assigned the beat of a particular team, in this case the CUBS, he does not have to be treated with the lack of respect that we assign to that club. It's his job to report the news as it specifically relates to them. He is not a cubune homer. In fact, he was kicked off the cub beat back in '99 or so for criticizing personnel decisions, etc. The Tribune "demoted" him as punishment to beat write for our pale hose. Not surprisingly, that's the hierarchy of positions in that paper. At any rate, he served his time with us and was restored to the top spot and has been relegated to the hell of covering that ridiculous team. To his credit, he remained critical of Baker, Hendry and that sad club the past three years.

As far as Cowley is concerned -- weak explanation on his voting habits.

#1 - No, not just anyone could have been plugged into Jeter's spot and turned in similar numbers. Where does he get this idea?

#2 - The idea that the Yankee line-up was loaded is a bit off base. Jeter carried that team when Sheffield and Matsui went down and A-Rod was struggling. Our line-up was loaded. With Thome as the focal point for the majority of the season and Crede's big year, we featured 4 big time middle of the order hitters. I love JD, but there's no way I could say that he single handedly carried our team.

#3 - Along the same lines, Mauer was the main man in the Twin line-up and played a far more important defensive position than Morneau. I have no idea how 15 writers felt he was the more valuable than not only every other player in the AL, but more importantly than the most important player in his own line-up.Couldn't disagree more with the 2nd one.
Jeter had numbers good enough to be MVP. But there is no way you can say he carried the damn team.

When you play shortstop, and the guy to your right gets votes for MVP, and the guy you throw the ball to at first base gets votes for MVP, and your double-play partner at 2nd gets votes for MVP, along with two other players on your team, you were not carrying the team by yourself.

What's that? two all-star outfielders got injured and you replaced only one with another all-star outfielder? boo freaking hoo. How did they ever get by with only 7 all-star position players (former and current) in their lineup?

The Twins had 4 exceptional players this past year: Santana, Nathan, Mauer, Morneau.
The Yankees? ... more than 4.
Jeter carried the team? Hearing someone say that hurts me more than hearing that damn Day-O chant at Comiskey.

The Wall
12-01-2006, 05:43 PM

Save us the agony...there have been plenty of 're-education' incidents of him floating around and him towing the company line each n every time including last season.

If he was so critical, why was he doing it? Its not like he cant go and ask for a change of reporting duties.