PDA

View Full Version : Dave Roberts to sign with Giants

Pierzynski 12
11-24-2006, 10:02 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=535007

buehrle4cy05
11-24-2006, 10:03 PM
It doesn't give a money figure, but I'll take a stab at it and say it was a 3-year, $26 million contract.

Which is ridiculous.

PalehosePlanet
11-24-2006, 10:14 PM
What he should get is 2-3 years and 7-12 million, but unfortunately I'm sure it will be in the 3 yr 24-30 million range. Disgusting......

Collusion is coming back next year --- guaranteed!

Mohoney
11-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Looking at this realistically, if Roberts is getting anywhere over $4 million per, I'll gladly just hang on to Podsednik and hope he cuts down on the backward Ks.

Foulke You
11-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Good, I was afraid the Sox might sign him for stupid money. He just isn't worth it. The Giants can have him, he'll fit right in with all of their old players.

caulfield12
11-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Assuming its between $21 and $15 million over 3 years, it's still too rich for the White Sox IMO....mostly because of his age, injury history, lack of familiarity with the AL, the fact that his career has been worse than Gary Matthews and suddenly he's viewed as a legit starter? But he's a "speed" player running into the mid 30's barrier...there's a reason there is only one 36 year old and one 37 year old WR in the NFL (McCardell and Rod Smith).

Palehose13
11-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Looking at this realistically, if Roberts is getting anywhere over $4 million per, I'll gladly just hang on to Podsednik and hope he cuts down on the backward Ks.

I'm with your line of thinking.

Foulke You
11-24-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm with your line of thinking.
Count me in too. Pods is looking more and more like a bargain everyday.

Frater Perdurabo
11-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Yeah, maybe it's worth keeping Pods after all.

Michael Young may be out of the question; he reportedly wants to play for Ron Washington.

So, perhaps "Plan B" would be to get Omar Vizquel for Uribe and a prospect (irony intended given that Vizquel was "Plan A" before 2005).

Pods/Vizquel sets the table for Dye/Thome/PK; Iguchi would rake batting 8th. That lineup also affords the Sox the luxury to bat Anderson ninth strictly for his defense.

caulfield12
11-25-2006, 12:05 AM
We're in a difficult position with Uribe...I'm not sure another team would take him back as a starter, although SF does need to get younger. I guess going from Bonds to Roberts is some kind of progress, letting Alou go, but they're still a veteran team combined with a bunch of inexperienced players.

Our hotshot SS prospect really hit a brick wall this year (Valido), at one point, he looked like a pretty sure thing (along with Liotta). The best young SS available would be probably be Brandon Wood, if Bill Stonehenge would actually let a prospect go.

Other options continue to be Lugo, Rollins, Furcal and Christian Guzman. Just kidding about that last one folks.

Hey, that should be in the worst FA signing list, now that I think about it.

If we had to give up Broadway to do it, no way.

gf2020
11-25-2006, 03:43 AM
As per: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/11/25/GIANTS.TMP

The Giants and Roberts are zeroing in on a three-year contract valued between $5 million and $6 million a season. A source said Roberts is ready to accept the Giants' offer, and he is awaiting final word from the team.

What a strange world we live in. I'm sure KW is sorry the market turned out like this. With the Tigers looking like they are going to be around a while and a much better crop of free agents next year and with a lot of our own free agents coming up, it's probably best not to make a mistake in a long term investment this year.

I'd rather have Pods than nearly all of these marginal options who are getting multi-year deals.

BanditJimmy
11-25-2006, 04:04 AM
The SB% success rate between Pods and Roberts is night and day in favor of Roberts. And the glove heavily favors Roberts. But I would not go out and give him $6 million per season.

Re: Pods
I will not be surprised if some stupid judge awards Pods $4-$5 million in arbitration just based on the idiotic market the owners have created this off-season.

I am Ok with one more year of Pods as long as we can plug some good protection in the 2 hole (Young, Vizquel, Tejada, etc). You have Pods and Iguchi hitting 1 and 2 come spring training..... you are setting yourself up for disaster again.

So any offensive move Kenny makes this offseason needs to be for either a 1 or 2 hitter.

Mohoney
11-25-2006, 04:27 AM
I am Ok with one more year of Pods as long as we can plug some good protection in the 2 hole (Young, Vizquel, Tejada, etc). You have Pods and Iguchi hitting 1 and 2 come spring training..... you are setting yourself up for disaster again.

That 1,2 won us our 1st World Series title in 88 years. I think that automatically labeling it as disaster is a little extreme.

Lillian
11-25-2006, 05:00 AM
The SB% success rate between Pods and Roberts is night and day in favor of Roberts. And the glove heavily favors Roberts. But I would not go out and give him $6 million per season.

Re: Pods
I will not be surprised if some stupid judge awards Pods $4-$5 million in arbitration just based on the idiotic market the owners have created this off-season.

I was reading the rules on Arbitration, and I'm confused about something.
What happens if both the player and the team submit their desired salary figures, and the arbiters decide upon a number that management doesn't want to pay. Can the team elect not to keep the player, and let him become a free agent?

caulfield12
11-25-2006, 06:05 AM
No, once the team agrees to go to arbitration, they're "stuck."

They can agree to a "midpoint" number between that of the team and the player, but the overall effect has always been to raise the salaries and leave a bad taste in the player's mouth, so usually they don't want it to get to "final decision" time.

FoxsMightyMite
11-25-2006, 07:53 AM
No, once the team agrees to go to arbitration, they're "stuck."

They can agree to a "midpoint" number between that of the team and the player, but the overall effect has always been to raise the salaries and leave a bad taste in the player's mouth, so usually they don't want it to get to "final decision" time.

I heard that baseball's arbitration rules were influenced by Bill Veeck. Supposedly, he sat down with a star pitcher under the conditions that the pitcher would write down the min he would accept and Veeck would write the max he would pay and they'd split the difference. Veeck's number came in higher so they did.

Norberto7
12-02-2006, 02:36 PM
It's official...3/$18 million.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-giants-roberts&prov=ap&type=lgns

jabrch
12-02-2006, 02:47 PM
It's official...3/$18 million.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-giants-roberts&prov=ap&type=lgns

That's nuts for a guy who is always injured.

Fenway
12-02-2006, 02:57 PM
If Dave Roberts doesn't make this steal in the 9th inning of Game 4 2004 ALCS.....:o: The greatest comeback in baseball history NEVER HAPPENS

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/john_donovan/10/21/alcs.wrapup/p1_roberts_getty.jpg

Jjav829
12-02-2006, 02:58 PM
That 1,2 won us our 1st World Series title in 88 years. I think that automatically labeling it as disaster is a little extreme.

Great pitching, defense and timely hitting won us our 1st World Series. It just so happens Pods and Iguchi were our 1-2 for that World Series. I'm not saying they didn't play a part in it, but let's not act like they were the sole reason.

And on the other end, automatically labeling Pods-Iguchi as a 1-2 a disaster is going a little overboard. There are better and there are worse. We won't know exactly where Pods-Iguchi falls until the year is played out (assuming that is our 1-2 for the 07 season).

Jerome
12-02-2006, 05:03 PM
This looks like another solid San Francisco Giants aquisition

what do they love about players on the brink of retirement so much?

SouthSide_HitMen
12-02-2006, 05:26 PM
what do they love about players on the brink of retirement so much?

Hard to figure, especially after their excuse (http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/b/bb/180px-Pbpbaker.jpg) has long since left the organization.

buehrle4cy05
12-02-2006, 05:54 PM
So how long until they sign Luis Gonzalez?

jabrch
12-02-2006, 07:44 PM
If Dave Roberts doesn't make this steal in the 9th inning of Game 4 2004 ALCS.....:o: The greatest comeback in baseball history NEVER HAPPENS

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/john_donovan/10/21/alcs.wrapup/p1_roberts_getty.jpg

Who Cares?

I'm still confused about why we need so much Red Sox talk here.