PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik and arbitration

bigredrudy
11-24-2006, 01:17 PM
If something is going to happen regarding a leadoff hitter it will happen before December 20th. That is the date that the Sox have to offer Pods a contract or else he becomes a free agent. If Pods is offered a contract on that date Pods could go into arbitration. A substaantial increase in salary will be the result. If the Sox do something regarding a leadoff hitter than the Sox will undoubtedly let Podsednik go. Otherwise they will almost be compelled to offer Podsednik a contract if they don't have another leadoff hitter

White Sox Randy
11-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Can't the Sox make their deals and offer Pods arbitration ? Can't they sign him and then later trade him ? Am I missing something ?

bigredrudy
11-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Can't the Sox make their deals and offer Pods arbitration ? Can't they sign him and then later trade him ? Am I missing something ?
Yes the Sox could make their deals and offer Pods a contract. Yes they could sign him and later trade him. But I think if they get a leadoff hitter before kDecember 20th, they would proabaly not offer him a contract. It is all about money don't you know?

White Sox Randy
11-24-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm in favor of offering Pods and Riske arbitration. That way they could trade them and get something back or atleast get a draft pick.

Why get nothing at all ?

DoItForDanPasqua
11-24-2006, 02:09 PM
The arbitrator is going to be looking at things like Juan Pierre getting 5 years/44 million and award Pods a nice amount of money. If that happens, the Sox may not want to pay that salary and he would be harder to trade.

JohnTucker0814
11-24-2006, 04:58 PM
The arbitrator is going to be looking at things like Juan Pierre getting 5 years/44 million and award Pods a nice amount of money. If that happens, the Sox may not want to pay that salary and he would be harder to trade.

My understanding of Arbitration is that the team offers Podsednek a contract and if he doesn't like it, Pods says what he thinks he should get. The arbitrator has to choose between one of the two... I don't think the arbitrator makes up a figure... am I wrong?

caulfield12
11-24-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm in favor of offering Pods and Riske arbitration. That way they could trade them and get something back or atleast get a draft pick.

Why get nothing at all ?

The compensation only occurs if the club offers arbitration and the player turns it down, instead signing with another ballclub.

The problem would be that if we didn't want Pods on the team, we offered arbitration, he won, say, $6 million for the 2007 season and we were unable to trade him and had a $6 million bench player who couldn't even come off the bench and get you a guaranteed steal. Whether another team would sign him would also depend on whether he was a Type A or B FA, which would be another factor making him a bad player to be stuck with.

Of course, for that to happen, the White Sox would have to either make a trade or decide that Mackowiak/Sweeney/Ozuna is actually a better option in LF. We trade for Crawford and we still have a CF issue, and no obvious leadoff hitter, unless we make the mistake of benching Anderson and putting Pods in CF.

caulfield12
11-24-2006, 05:10 PM
My understanding of Arbitration is that the team offers Podsednek a contract and if he doesn't like it, Pods says what he thinks he should get. The arbitrator has to choose between one of the two... I don't think the arbitrator makes up a figure... am I wrong?

The team and the players' agent both present numbers. The arbitrator has to pick one or the other, although a majority of the time it's the higher number...something like 70-75%. Before the final decision comes down, the player and team can agree to split the difference or agree on any number between the two...especially if he club feels strongly it will lose anyway.

103 screwball
11-24-2006, 06:15 PM
I thought the most a salary could increase is double. Is that true?

Daver
11-24-2006, 08:50 PM
I thought the most a salary could increase is double. Is that true?

That is not true, the salary can increase by any amount.

It cannot decrease more than 20%.

Players agents for a player that had an off year will go to great strides to avoid arbitration, because an arbitration hearing is basically the team's lawyer bringing up stat after stat of how a players numbers have declined against the agent trying to defend his contract demand, with the arbitror, who has no position in baseball, and need not follow the sport, makes the final decision.

Brian26
11-25-2006, 11:17 AM
That is not true, the salary can increase by any amount.

It cannot decrease more than 20%.

Players agents for a player that had an off year will go to great strides to avoid arbitration, because an arbitration hearing is basically the team's lawyer bringing up stat after stat of how a players numbers have declined against the agent trying to defend his contract demand, with the arbitror, who has no position in baseball, and need not follow the sport, makes the final decision.

Not only does the player's agent want to avoid it, but the team wants to avoid it too. The Sox have traditionally tried to avoid arbitration at all costs because it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. I'm trying to remember the last guy they went to arbitration with....may have been Keith Foulke.

caulfield12
11-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Not only does the player's agent want to avoid it, but the team wants to avoid it too. The Sox have traditionally tried to avoid arbitration at all costs because it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. I'm trying to remember the last guy they went to arbitration with....may have been Keith Foulke.

I think they had a similarly troubled negotiating history with Jack McDowell...would have to look it up.

Lip Man 1
11-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Caulfield:

Read the McDowell / WSI interview. Jack comments on his contract negotiations and a subsequent conversation with Reinsdorf.

Lip