PDA

View Full Version : What about bringing back.....

Qdiddy
11-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Kenny Lofton?? I know he's old and that it's a long shot, but he might come cheap and he's definitely a better defensive upgrade over Pods.

He's also a lot better bunter than Pods, doesn't strike out as much, and still can swipe 25-30 bags.

Last years numbers: AvgHRRBIRunsSB.301

His OBP was .360 and he only struck out 42 times, so he's going to put the ball into play. Pod's struck out 96 times and his OBP= .330

I would rather have him than anyone out there right now. I don't think Crawford is going anywhere, so I think this would be the best bang for the buck for the Sox.

What do you guys think?

LuvSox
11-22-2006, 11:39 PM

Am I drunk or did he hit 41 HR's last year?

:D:

delben91
11-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Am I drunk or did he hit 41 HR's last year?

:D:

You're missing the .301 to the right of the list of categories. So he hit 3 HR's.

Though I could be drunk too...

caulfield12
11-23-2006, 12:21 AM
Kenny Lofton?? I know he's old and that it's a long shot, but he might come cheap and he's definitely a better defensive upgrade over Pods.

He's also a lot better bunter than Pods, doesn't strike out as much, and still can swipe 25-30 bags.

His OBP was .360 and he only struck out 42 times, so he's going to put the ball into play. Pod's struck out 96 times and his OBP= .330

I would rather have him than anyone out there right now. I don't think Crawford is going anywhere, so I think this would be the best bang for the buck for the Sox.

What do you guys think?

Never. He quit on the team and became a negative clubhouse presence in 2002, influencing some of the other players like Ordonez and Lee. Jimenez and Lofton were BAD news of the worst kind.

crazyozzie02
11-23-2006, 12:52 PM
this is some kind of a sick joke right? If it is, its not funny.

JUribe1989
11-23-2006, 01:12 PM
I would love to have Lofton back based on his killer instinct and average alone in the last couple of years. But there's really no point to saying that because I know everyone on this board will be tearing this post apart for pages. But, for whatever hate anyone has of Kenny Lofton. What's the point of still having it? He had a great start for us in 2002 and gave us hope at the beginning that we could be in the race. It wasn't his fault, the team just wasn't that good in 2002 and you all know that. He never quit on the team, Kenny Lofton is too much of a competitor to quit on any team he has ever played for.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-23-2006, 01:27 PM

What do you guys think?

I say no, Sweeny is probably going to be in the outfield next year.

caulfield12
11-23-2006, 04:20 PM
I would love to have Lofton back based on his killer instinct and average alone in the last couple of years. But there's really no point to saying that because I know everyone on this board will be tearing this post apart for pages. But, for whatever hate anyone has of Kenny Lofton. What's the point of still having it? He had a great start for us in 2002 and gave us hope at the beginning that we could be in the race. It wasn't his fault, the team just wasn't that good in 2002 and you all know that. He never quit on the team, Kenny Lofton is too much of a competitor to quit on any team he has ever played for.

Why has he been on so many different teams the last 6-7 years?

You could ask the same question about Soriano.

But Lofton had "good" numbers this year and the Dodgers didn't hesitate in taking steps to replace him. Not only that, but they dramatically overpaid to get someone who's basically a Lofton replica (Lofton of age 29) in Pierre. Well, Lofton was a better overall player at the same age, but that's another thread.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-23-2006, 05:58 PM
There's no way we should bring him back. The way all the FA's are signing multi-year deals, I'd hate to have him on the Sox for the next 3 years. Just bring back Pods and if he fails again, then we have Owens or Sweeney to take over.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-23-2006, 06:37 PM
There's no way we should bring him back. The way all the FA's are signing multi-year deals, I'd hate to have him on the Sox for the next 3 years. Just bring back Pods and if he fails again, then we have Owens or Sweeney to take over.
OR just toss Pods, and begin a crisp season with Sweeney.:cool:

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-23-2006, 06:56 PM
OR just toss Pods, and begin a crisp season with Sweeney.:cool:

That too, but I'd hate to have Brian Anderson all over again. I think it would be better to ease Sweeney into the OF.

caulfield12
11-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Tony Phillips is available for the right price. Failing that, Luis Polonia.

Brian26
11-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Never. He quit on the team and became a negative clubhouse presence in 2002, influencing some of the other players like Ordonez and Lee. Jimenez and Lofton were BAD news of the worst kind.

You're absolutely correct. He quit as soon as the Sox ran into a little trouble, and then he magically found his groove when he was traded to the Giants.

The Immigrant
11-23-2006, 09:08 PM
**** Kenny Lofton.

JUribe1989
11-23-2006, 09:55 PM
You're absolutely correct. He quit as soon as the Sox ran into a little trouble, and then he magically found his groove when he was traded to the Giants.

He hit .260 with the Sox and .267 with the Giants.

Brian26
11-24-2006, 01:10 AM
He hit .260 with the Sox and .267 with the Giants.

Look a little bit closer at the numbers. Maybe you're too young to remember what a bum this guy was. Although the averages over the two half's are similar, you need to look at the trends. He quit on the Sox, and then he decided to get hot down the stretch drive for SF.

In April 02, he hit .343 (the Sox were red hot)
In May 02, he hit .258 (Sox started struggling)
In June 02, he hit .136 (Sox were in a tailspin, and KW was getting ready to unload Ray Durham, Bob Howry, Sandy Alomar, and Kenny Lofton for anything he could get back). Lofton was one of the guys who was watching "Meet the Parents" in the clubhouse before the game when Von Joshua wanted him to take extra BP, ultimately costing Joshua his job.
In July 02, right before the trading deadline, he hit .280 (Sox were done at this point)
He goes to SF and hits .444 to end July, .190 in August, and then finishes with a strong .322 down the September stretch drive. He did great in the playoffs, (.350 in the NLDS, .238 NLCS, .290 World Series).