PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Colangelo confirms interest in buying Cubs

Fenway
11-22-2006, 04:04 PM
I think the Cubs sale is no longer of matter of "if" its "when"

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2672610

CHICAGO -- Former Arizona Diamondbacks (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=ari) owner Jerry Colangelo would be interested buying the Chicago Cubs (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=chn) if Tribune Co. puts his hometown franchise up for sale.

Colangelo, chairman of the NBA's Phoenix Suns and former controlling owner of both the Suns and Diamondbacks, said Wednesday he has held "preliminary discussion" with unspecified other people who share his interest in buying the Cubs.

He declined to say whether he had spoken to Tribune Co. or the Cubs about his interest but said: "You can speculate that."

PaulDrake
11-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Nothing in life is guaranteed but I have to believe that with Jerry Colangelo as the owner, lots of things in Cubbieland will change.

Fenway
11-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Nothing in life is guaranteed but I have to believe that with Jerry Colangelo as the owner, lots of things in Cubbieland will change.

The Arizona market couldn't support the spending he did to make the DBacks champs. Chicago can.

Ol' No. 2
11-22-2006, 06:14 PM
The Arizona market couldn't support the spending he did to make the DBacks champs. Chicago can.If the Yankees have proved anything it's that it doesn't matter how much you spend if you spend it stupidly.

Frater Perdurabo
11-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Does anyone get the impression that all the Tribune reporting (yes, I know the link in this thread is not from the Trib) on people rumored to be interested in buying the Cubs is another corporate ploy to increase the perceived demand and therefore the potential market value of the team if and when they put it on the market?

By constantly reporting that this billionaire and that billionaire are interested in buying the team, they could be attempting to manufacture demand. And who knows if what they are reporing is completely accurate? All they are doing is printing and propagating rumors. It would not surprise me if Tribune Company is the source of most of these alleged rumors.

At the very least their actions give the appearance of trying to do so.

This is Yellow Journalism at its finest. Colonel McCormick's disciples put Pulitzer and Hurst to shame.

Ol' No. 2
11-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Does anyone get the impression that all the Tribune reporting (yes, I know the link in this thread is not from the Trib) on people rumored to be interested in buying the Cubs is another corporate ploy to increase the perceived demand and therefore the potential market value of the team if and when they put it on the market?

By constantly reporting that this billionaire and that billionaire are interested in buying the team, they could be attempting to manufacture demand. And who knows if what they are reporing is completely accurate? All they are doing is printing and propagating rumors. It would not surprise me if Tribune Company is the source of most of these alleged rumors.

At the very least their actions give the appearance of trying to do so.

This is Yellow Journalism at its finest. Colonel McCormick's disciples put Pulitzer and Hurst to shame.You think maybe they hired Scott Boras?

Steelrod
11-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Jerry Colangelo, who was previously the general partner of the Diamondback is interestd in buying the Cubs. I would guess that none of his previous partners in the Diamondbacks that got it stuck to them, would want to be his partner again. But who knows!
Did not see other thread, sorry

Steelrod
11-22-2006, 06:22 PM
He stuck it to his partners in Arizona, if I recall correctly.

Frater Perdurabo
11-22-2006, 06:24 PM
You think maybe they hired Scott Boras?

I don't know about Boras, but I think I read somewhere that the Tribune keeps Josef Goebbels on retainer. :D:

CLR01
11-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Jerry Colangelo, who was previously the general partner of the Diamondback is interestd in buying the Cubs. I would guess that none of his previous partners in the Diamondbacks that got it stuck to them, would want to be his partner again. But who knows!
Did not see other thread, sorry

Of course you didn't. That actually requires one to take a look around first.

Frater Perdurabo
11-22-2006, 06:25 PM
I don't know about Boras, but I think I read somewhere that the Tribune keeps Josef Goebbels on retainer. :D:

And they have their legal representation provided by Dewey, Cheathem and Howe.

Steelrod
11-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Of course you didn't. That actually requires one to take a look around first.
I think this thread is in the wrong place, which is why I didn't see it. Its not a rumor and concerns another team.

CLR01
11-22-2006, 06:38 PM
I think this thread is in the wrong place, which is why I didn't see it. Its not a rumor and concerns another team.

You need to study the forum descriptions.

DumpJerry
11-22-2006, 11:46 PM
You're right. The 25 man roster will change each year as he reinvents the team each winter.

He will also blow a gasket when the big centennial comes and goes without a WS crown.