http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2672448

Matthews Jr to the Angels, 5 year - $50 MM

DaveIsHere
11-22-2006, 01:25 PM
:?:

10-Mil per for one good year......must be nice

peeonwrigley
11-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Oh to have had a career year leading into free agency this winter....

Wait, I'd still play for the league minimum.

Wait, I'd play baseball for my salary now, which is a fraction of the league minimum.

I'll shut up now.

infohawk
11-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Fine by me. Matthews is a decent player, but a tad overrated. I'll be a believer if he puts up numbers similar to what he did in 2006 for two or three consecutive years.

Sargeant79
11-22-2006, 01:28 PM
:o: :o: :o:

That's insane..absolutely insane.

The Angels are going to be ticked when he reverts back to his career norms next year and they are platooning a 10 million dollar a year guy by the 3rd or 4th year of the contract.

DumpJerry
11-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Does the Tribune Company know that Hendry's moonlighting on them?

BanditJimmy
11-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Crede & Garcia for Santana, Shields, & Figgins?

BanditJimmy
11-22-2006, 01:36 PM
GMJ will make only $2million less than Paul Konerko each year.

LOL !!!!

DaveIsHere
11-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Maybe he made all this money from that catch he made at the wall this year!?!?

DumpJerry
11-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Maybe he made all this money from that catch he made at the wall this year!?!?
I was thinking the same thing.

Jjav829
11-22-2006, 02:07 PM
I should be able to find someone who would sign me to, say, a 5-year $1 million deal. I'm no Gary Matthews Jr, but I can't more than $49 million worse than Matthews.

So, with that said, teams can now start sending in the offers! I'm representing myself. I'll play any position. I'm not that good, but for $1 million over 5 years, I'll bust my ass sitting on the bench everyday. Hell, I'll even help out in the front office on days I'm not playing. Your GM need someone to fetch his coffee and give him second opinions on not giving out horribly oversized contracts? I'm your man! Does your clubhouse attendant need a friend? I can do that, too. Hell, I'll even help drag out the tarp during rain delays!

Start submitting those offers! :bandance:

julio-cruz
11-22-2006, 02:14 PM
I hate to mention this, (but at these prices) I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that we will end up with Darren Erstad as our 2007 center fielder! :o:

DumpJerry
11-22-2006, 02:18 PM
I should be able to find someone who would sign me to, say, a 5-year $1 million deal. I'm no Gary Matthews Jr, but I can't more than $49 million worse than Matthews.

So, with that said, teams can now start sending in the offers! I'm representing myself. I'll play any position. I'm not that good, but for $1 million over 5 years, I'll bust my ass sitting on the bench everyday. Hell, I'll even help out in the front office on days I'm not playing. Your GM need someone to fetch his coffee and give him second opinions on not giving out horribly oversized contracts? I'm your man! Does your clubhouse attendant need a friend? I can do that, too. Hell, I'll even help drag out the tarp during rain delays!

Start submitting those offers! :bandance:
Same here. Except I have more principals than Jjav. Only the White Sox may apply.

The Immigrant
11-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Oh. My. God.

This almost makes Soriano's contract look reasonable.

BanditJimmy
11-22-2006, 02:22 PM
the owners are running this game back into the ground.

Mark it down, 5 years from now, they will come crying poor.

Hangar18
11-22-2006, 02:54 PM
the owners are running this game back into the ground.

Mark it down, 5 years from now, they will come crying poor.

YES they will. But if you read into Phil Rogers' recent column, many owners were shaking their heads in anger and disgust at the way the Cubs began throwing money around a couple weeks ago. Seems to have ignited everyone else to start spending, before Hendry buys everyone up.
In a nutshell, Im shooting a very Dirty Look 8miles north towards Hendry.

11-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Well we are down to Pods or Roberts as our leadoff guy now, unless Kenny makes a big trade. If I had my choice, I'd rather have Pods....stick with what you know....pods was hurt in ST and it took him a long time to fuel up and he never caught a groove...I say we give him another chance, he earned it in my book.

DaveIsHere
11-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Well we are down to Pods or Roberts as our leadoff guy now, unless Kenny makes a big trade. If I had my choice, I'd rather have Pods....stick with what you know....pods was hurt in ST and it took him a long time to fuel up and he never caught a groove...I say we give him another chance, he earned it in my book.

Agreed. :gulp:

The Immigrant
11-22-2006, 05:06 PM
I'll take Pods at $2-$3 mil/year and something to prove over Roberts any day. Roberts is a 35 year old journeyman whose value is overinflated in today's market.

CLR01
11-22-2006, 05:12 PM
I'll take Pods at $2-$3 mil/year and something to prove over Roberts any day. Roberts is a 35 year old journeyman whose value is overinflated in today's market.

I'd rather take my chances with a Willie Harris/Timo Perez platoon in left and leading off than take on some of these contracts. Thank god Konerko was a FA last year. He might be signing a 20-25 mil/year deal right now if he wasn't. :o:

11-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Aside from some unexpected trade, Pods has my vote of the pool available. World Series walkoff HR gives him a free pass in my book for another year.

caulfield12
11-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Are Brian Daubach or Armando Rios still available?

Jeez...makes you pine for the days of Julio Ramirez, Dave Martinez and Mike Deavereaux. NOT!

cbssportsline headline says it all for this offseason $50M? For Matthews Jr.? Angels land CF (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9822972)

Foulke You
11-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Aside from some unexpected trade, Pods has my vote of the pool available. World Series walkoff HR gives him a free pass in my book for another year.

With Pierre and Matthews Jr. off the market and being paid ridiculous sums of cash and a Carl Crawford or Ichiro trade seemingly more and more unlikely, I say bring Pods back with something to prove in '07. 102605 is also right about one thing, that World Series homer was a thing of beauty. Let's look at it one more time shall we. It just NEVER gets old. :cool:

http://www.cp.org/premium/Online/Member/Sports/051024/s102419.jpg http://deseretnews.com/photos/2476444.jpg

oeo
11-22-2006, 08:08 PM
With Pierre and Matthews Jr. off the market and being paid ridiculous sums of cash and a Carl Crawford or Ichiro trade seemingly more and more unlikely, I say bring Pods back with something to prove in '07. 102605 is also right about one thing, that World Series homer was a thing of beauty. Let's look at it one more time shall we. It just NEVER gets old. :cool:

People, it's November 22. Things can change very quickly...why is it looking any different now that we were going to trade for a leadoff hitter than it was a month ago? More and more unlikely? How has it changed? It hasn't.

Stop getting so anxious for a move to happen. I'd rather Kenny wait back and let Garcia/Vazquez's value build up, so we can rip some team off. Take that and make moves for other guys (like Crawford), than him sign Pierre or Matthews to some ridiculous contract.

We haven't even made a move with one of our pitchers, let's wait and see what happens there first. I never thought the Mariners would ever trade Ichiro, but Crawford is not out of the realm of possibility. So relax, there's still a lot of time.

SOXSINCE'70
11-22-2006, 08:14 PM
:o: :o: :o:

That's insane..absolutely insane.

The Angels are going to be ticked when he reverts back to his career norms next year and they are platooning a 10 million dollar a year guy by the 3rd or 4th year of the contract.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
And the free agent lunacy continues.:rolleyes:

At this rate,the Sox should sign Jermaine Dye to a
10 year,200M deal and Joe Crede to a 7 year,95M deal.:o:

SOXSINCE'70
11-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Are Brian Daubach or Armando Rios still available?

Jeez...makes you pine for the days of Julio Ramirez, Dave Martinez and Mike Deavereaux. NOT!

It also makes me long for Carlos Martinez,Dan Pasqua,
Cory Snyder and Shawn Abner.:D: :D:

caulfield12
11-22-2006, 08:35 PM
People, it's November 22. Things can change very quickly...why is it looking any different now that we were going to trade for a leadoff hitter than it was a month ago? More and more unlikely? How has it changed? It hasn't.

Stop getting so anxious for a move to happen. I'd rather Kenny wait back and let Garcia/Vazquez's value build up, so we can rip some team off. Take that and make moves for other guys (like Crawford), than him sign Pierre or Matthews to some ridiculous contract.

We haven't even made a move with one of our pitchers, let's wait and see what happens there first. I never thought the Mariners would ever trade Ichiro, but Crawford is not out of the realm of possibility. So relax, there's still a lot of time.

What possible deal is there out there for Crawford that doesn't involve Brandon McCarthy? It's a non-starter for KW if this team is to remain competitive in 2008 and beyond. Without any young, affordable starters, we're looking at a $125 million payroll.

And trading Fields and Sweeney carries with it the same risk, making our farm system the worst in the game in terms of prospects remaining.

Ol' No. 2
11-22-2006, 11:02 PM
What possible deal is there out there for Crawford that doesn't involve Brandon McCarthy? It's a non-starter for KW if this team is to remain competitive in 2008 and beyond. Without any young, affordable starters, we're looking at a $125 million payroll.

And trading Fields and Sweeney carries with it the same risk, making our farm system the worst in the game in terms of prospects remaining.Don't be too quick. There could easily be a 3-way deal in which the Sox send a starter to a third team in return for players who would be flipped to TB.

caulfield12
11-22-2006, 11:19 PM
The problem is, unless we give our entire farm system away, it's going to be either Garland, Crede, Dye or Konerko. Those are the three most marketable players right now, along with Jenks and Thornton (and obviously McCarthy).

I guess we could do Broadway, Haeger and Fields....that's about the best we can come up with. They don't need Anderson, and giving him away doesn't solve anything because it simply opens up another hole in the outfield.

Ol' No. 2
11-23-2006, 12:03 AM
The problem is, unless we give our entire farm system away, it's going to be either Garland, Crede, Dye or Konerko. Those are the three most marketable players right now, along with Jenks and Thornton (and obviously McCarthy).

I guess we could do Broadway, Haeger and Fields....that's about the best we can come up with. They don't need Anderson, and giving him away doesn't solve anything because it simply opens up another hole in the outfield.Garcia is pretty marketable. So is Vazquez. Teams would pay a lot more for comparable talent on the FA market. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those guys could bring Crawford straight up in a 3-way deal. Maybe they'd have to throw in a mid-level prospect, at most.

soxfan13
11-23-2006, 06:48 AM
YES they will. But if you read into Phil Rogers' recent column, many owners were shaking their heads in anger and disgust at the way the Cubs began throwing money around a couple weeks ago. Seems to have ignited everyone else to start spending, before Hendry buys everyone up.
In a nutshell, Im shooting a very Dirty Look 8miles north towards Hendry.

Youre ****ing insane if you think these contracts are coming out because the Cubs signed Soriano to that deal. Soriano would have gotten that money somewhere else if it wasnt the Cubs. The same with Matthews.:rolleyes:

oeo
11-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Youre ****ing insane if you think these contracts are coming out because the Cubs signed Soriano to that deal. Soriano would have gotten that money somewhere else if it wasnt the Cubs. The same with Matthews.:rolleyes:

I highly doubt another team pays that much for Soriano. If that was true, then why would Soriano even be a Cub right now? The team is terrible, the franchise is terrible...he would have went to the better team that was willing to pay him (probably the Angels). And yes, when Soriano is getting that kind of money, it does change what other free agent outfielders will go for. Matthews agent says, if Soriano went for this much, my guy can get an inflated contract as well.

Hitmen77
11-23-2006, 12:13 PM
I highly doubt another team pays that much for Soriano. If that was true, then why would Soriano even be a Cub right now? The team is terrible, the franchise is terrible...he would have went to the better team that was willing to pay him (probably the Angels). And yes, when Soriano is getting that kind of money, it does change what other free agent outfielders will go for. Matthews agent says, if Soriano went for this much, my guy can get an inflated contract as well.

I agree. The fact that Ramirez and Soriano signed so quickly with the Cubs and didn't fully explore offers from other teams is a sign that they way overpaid.

Don't believe the Cubune reporting these 2 guys "didn't sign because of the money" but rather because they just love the idea of being a Cub....and don't believe the Cubune's spin that Ramirez took a "significant hometown discount." :rolleyes:

The Immigrant
11-23-2006, 08:06 PM
....and don't believe the Cubune's spin that Ramirez took a "significant hometown discount." :rolleyes:

That was a whopper even by the Tribune's standards.

mwc44
11-23-2006, 09:25 PM
$50 Million to Gary Matthews??????? $44 Million to Juan Pierre???????? $73 Million to Aramis Ramierez???????
http://worldofwonder.net/images/susan%20powter-tm.jpg
STOP THE INSANITY!!!!!!!