PDA

View Full Version : Angels add Matthews to outfield

CubsfansareDRUNK
11-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Linky (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061122&content_id=1745455&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp)

5 yrs, 50 mil

JermaineDye05
11-22-2006, 12:52 PM
50 million damn

SoxSpeed22
11-22-2006, 12:56 PM
That's a lot for someone who's had 1 great year out of 5. The Sox will have to address left field and leadoff via trade because of things like this.

JermaineDye05
11-22-2006, 01:01 PM
That's a lot for someone who's had 1 great year out of 5. The Sox will have to address left field and leadoff via trade because of things like this.

my thoughts exactly

CPditka
11-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Wow, thats a lot of money for one good year. Chone Figgins to the Sox anyone?

BanditJimmy
11-22-2006, 01:09 PM
I know this belongs at "What's the Score," but how about:

Crede & Garcia for Santana, Shields, & Figgins?

oeo
11-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Wow, thats a lot of money for one good year. Chone Figgins to the Sox anyone?

No. I'd rather just re-sign Pods. They're basically the same player, except Figgins can play a few more positions. So, in other words, Rob Mackowiak with speed.

Jaffar
11-22-2006, 01:37 PM
No. I'd rather just re-sign Pods. They're basically the same player, except Figgins can play a few more positions. So, in other words, Rob Mackowiak with speed. Agreed. Everyone was so quick to jump on Pods after the season (myself included) but after seeing what contracts these guys are getting and what is available I'm all for keeping pods and think he'll be somewhere between his 2005 and 2006 seasons.

Huisj
11-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Interesting that that article also mentions that Anaheim has interest in Crede. I know the contract stuff with him could get complicated, but it would be really sad to see him get traded now that he's finally blossomed into the player he was said to be going way back to when Robin Ventura left. He's turned into a good and clutch hitter, but beyond that, his defense is extremely important to a pitching staff like the Sox have.

soxinem1
11-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Another ridiculous contract for a journeyman. Here's my equation:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/darren_dreifort_autograph.jpg = http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2006/04/13/wHEZOdua.jpg

Man, I'm in the wrong business.

All you gals and guys with kids, let your boys grow up to be baseball players!!

Ol' No. 2
11-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Another ridiculous contract for a journeyman. Here's my equation:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/darren_dreifort_autograph.jpg = http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2006/04/13/wHEZOdua.jpg

Man, I'm in the wrong business.

All you gals and guys with kids, let your boys grow up to be baseball players!!This is the guy who came to mind:

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_134181.jpg

but it's the same idea.

As my mother used to say...A fool and his money are soon parted.

Huisj
11-22-2006, 04:21 PM
This is the guy who came to mind:

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_134181.jpg

but it's the same idea.

As my mother used to say...A fool and his money are soon parted.

That is a decent comparison (well, ok, I guess we've actually got to wait and see on Matthews to see if he does play well again or not). In some ways, it seems even worse than the Beltre signing, because Beltre was only 26 years old, so he was seemingly entering his prime. Matthews is over 30.

Foulke You
11-22-2006, 04:55 PM
5 years, $50 mill a guy who had one good season in a contract year. Amazing. I think this means that Figgins is for sure going to be trade bait because the Angels just paid a ton of money for a new leadoff man. Going into this offseason, I thought Pierre and Matthews Jr. would command $7 million per year over 3 years. The contracts they are getting are just insane.

Is this the Cubs fault for setting the bar so high by overpaying Aramis Ramirez, DeRosa, and now Soriano? Or is it more the fact that the free agent market is very thin this year?

The Immigrant
11-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Is this the Cubs fault for setting the bar so high by overpaying Aramis Ramirez, DeRosa, and now Soriano? Or is it more the fact that the free agent market is very thin this year?

The free agent market is thin and teams are flush with cash. It's a perfect storm, and some GMs are spending like drunken sailors on shore leave. Hendry helped establish the new market, but my sense is that Pierre and Matthews would have received relatively similar contracts even if Soriano hadn't yet signed.

Foulke You
11-22-2006, 05:08 PM
The free agent market is thin and teams are flush with cash. It's a perfect storm, and some GMs are spending like drunken sailors on shore leave. Hendry helped establish the new market, but my sense is that Pierre and Matthews would have received relatively similar contracts even if Soriano hadn't yet signed.
I'm starting to see the wisdom in Kenny Williams locking up Contreras, Garland, and trading for a contracted Vazquez when he did. Pitchers of their caliber on the open free agent market this year would have made a King's ransom. Perhaps KW sensed the market shifting or perhaps he just got lucky, but regardless, I'm thankful he did it when he did. However, this is going to make resigning Buehrle or Garcia or both extremely difficult.:(:

caulfield12
11-22-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm starting to see the wisdom in Kenny Williams locking up Contreras, Garland, and trading for a contracted Vazquez when he did. Pitchers of their caliber on the open free agent market this year would have made a King's ransom. Perhaps KW sensed the market shifting or perhaps he just got lucky, but regardless, I'm thankful he did it when he did. However, this is going to make resigning Buehrle or Garcia or both extremely difficult.:(:

I don't think KW ever imagined keeping both Buehrle and Garcia.

If Buehrle pitched in 06 like he did in 05, your statement would be correct. Not only that, but he's not the typical fireballer who attracts the interest of every team on the market. He's more along the lines of a Pettitte, Hampton, Kenny Rogers, Glavine...I could see $11, 12 million, but not much more, and certainly not coming off this past season.

He could sign another long-term deal for less money (risk for both sides) or he could simply hope to rebound and go onto the market...

I have no idea if KW would have the confidence to give him, say, $48 million over 4 years. That has possible disaster written all over it. A fireballer like Beckett off a down season is much easier to market to other teams than a Mark Buehrle who will always have his doubters.

Bucky F. Dent
11-22-2006, 08:49 PM
32 years old + 263 average = 50M

That math just ain't right!

A. Cavatica
11-22-2006, 08:52 PM
I have no idea if KW would have the confidence to give him, say, $48 million over 4 years. That has possible disaster written all over it.

Buehrle could turn out to be Rogers or Moyer and pitch forever, but the Sox don't give pitchers contracts longer than 3 years. And his performance this year (1.446 WHIP, 4.99 ERA) was worth way less than $12M. Right now I wouldn't offer more than 3/27.

Grzegorz
11-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Buehrle could turn out to be Rogers or Moyer and pitch forever, but the Sox don't give pitchers contracts longer than 3 years. And his performance this year (1.446 WHIP, 4.99 ERA) was worth way less than $12M. Right now I wouldn't offer more than 3/27.

I love the three year cap; it is the smart thing to do. Offering 3/27mil is far too generous for Buehrle. He's from the "Show Me" state so before I'd pony up he'd better show me a marked improvement over his 2006 campaign.

thomas35forever
11-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Way too much for a player of his caliber. Is this the beginning of an era of ridiculous contracts being offered to just about any player below All-Star level? Unbelievable.

halo
11-23-2006, 08:18 PM
we got Matthews:bandance:

caulfield12
11-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Ummm...any team in baseball could have had Matthews for FREE at many times over the last decade. He's 32 years old and has ONE good season. In all likelihood, he will end up being a 4th outfielder by year 3 or year 4 of the contract.

The Angels have a great owner in Moreno but it's mystifying why he keeps Stonehenge.

The GM has refused to trade prospects like McPherson, Kotchmann, Morales, Kendrick, Willits, Wood, Aybar, etc.

Two or three of those guys equals Manny Ramirez and another division championship over the A's.

Letting Glaus go has turned into another mistake as the Angels have yet to find an everyday 3B. Bartolo Colon is a tub of goo and we're lucky he didn't take our offer after the 2003 season.

Not only that, but Stonehenge gave away Jenks and Turnbow when he could have had the best bullpen in history.

halo
11-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Ummm...any team in baseball could have had
The Angels have a great owner in Moreno but it's mystifying why he keeps Stonehenge.

The GM has refused to trade prospects like McPherson, Kotchmann, Morales, Kendrick, Willits, Wood, Aybar, etc.

Two or three of those guys equals Manny Ramirez and another division championship over the A's.

Letting Glaus go has turned into another mistake as the Angels have yet to find an everyday 3B. Bartolo Colon is a tub of goo and we're lucky he didn't take our offer after the 2003 season.

Not only that, but Stonehenge gave away Jenks and Turnbow when he could have had the best bullpen in history.

you're right about some things. Glaus was a bad move to let go but Colon wasen't bad, he won a Cy Young for us. Don't forget about Stoneman landing an AL MVP in Vladimir Guerrero. You are right that Stoneman should have traded Dallas McPherson, Kotchman, or Aybar but I would never part with Howie Kendrick. Jenks and Turnbow aren't even that good at all. Arte promised we would land someone big this offseason and is willing to pay the cash but Stoneman just sits on his ass and does nothing.

Stoneman Rating: C-

caulfield12
11-23-2006, 09:09 PM
you're right about some things. Glaus was a bad move to let go but Colon wasen't bad, he won a Cy Young for us. Don't forget about Stoneman landing an AL MVP in Vladimir Guerrero. You are right that Stoneman should have traded Dallas McPherson, Kotchman, or Aybar but I would never part with Howie Kendrick. Jenks and Turnbow aren't even that good at all. Arte promised we would land someone big this offseason and is willing to pay the cash but Stoneman just sits on his ass and does nothing.

Stoneman Rating: C-

Warning...you're about to get hammered for one of your comments.

Jenks was an All-Star and had some physical problems late in the season, but his save percentage was still excellent overall.

He's definitely one of the top 6-8 closers in baseball. Now Turnbow did struggle mightily...but he has a great arm.

Colon didn't compete unless the team scored for him, and took the first half of 2003 off. His conditioning is horrible...he should be GREAT. Any pitcher that can get stronger, has his movement and can throw 97-99 LATE in a game has no excuses for not winning 18 games per season consistently.

SBSoxFan
11-23-2006, 10:43 PM
50 million damn

I thought he was looking for even more than that, at least more than Pierre, not the same amount per year.

StillMissOzzie
11-24-2006, 03:37 AM
I thought he was looking for even more than that, at least more than Pierre, not the same amount per year.

According to ESPN.com:
Pierre got 5 yrs/$44M (or, $8.8M/yr)
Matthews got 5 yrs/$50M (or, $10M/yr)

So Sarge Jr. did get $6M more, (or, $1.2M/yr) over the life of the contract, right?

SMO
:?:

TDog
11-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Ummm...any team in baseball could have had Matthews for FREE at many times over the last decade. He's 32 years old and has ONE good season. In all likelihood, he will end up being a 4th outfielder by year 3 or year 4 of the contract.

He had a great season. He's a pretty good outfielder. So is Brian Anderson I point this out because Matthews used to be a liability at the plate. Maybe this will inspire Anderson to have a great season so he can sign a stupid contract.

Or maybe Matthews becoming the poster boy for stupid contracts.