PDA

View Full Version : Cubune Watch counts the stories

FielderJones
11-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Does this (http://www.cubune.com/2006/11/those-storied-cubs.html) mean Hangar is vindicated? :wink: :tongue:

tony1972
11-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Does this (http://www.cubune.com/2006/11/those-storied-cubs.html) mean Hangar is vindicated? :wink: :tongue:
Vindicated...! Hangar probably wrote the article !!:D:

crazyozzie02
11-22-2006, 01:20 PM
yep. thats him alright:smile:

Oblong
11-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Do the stories on the cubs in that paper have the disclaimer that they are both owned by Tribune?

FielderJones
11-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Do the stories on the cubs in that paper have the disclaimer that they are both owned by Tribune?

In a word, no (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-061120cubssoriano,1,288880.story).

Join us next time for another chapter of "simple answers to simple questions". :wink:

Frater Perdurabo
11-22-2006, 05:22 PM
yep. thats him alright:smile:

It's not Hangar. The blog doesn't have the rampant, random and excessive capitalization that Hangar's posts exhibit. :redneck

bryPt
11-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Jeff is on a roll.

Word is, a large portion of hits ( www.cubune.com (http://www.cubune.com) ) are actually from tribune employees.

I live next to a tribune employee that absolulely hates Jeff's site. Doesn't like me either since I have sent Jeff a tidbit or two.

SOXPHILE
11-22-2006, 06:13 PM
:knue http://www.pulitzer.org/images/lipinski2.jpghttp://www.tribune.com/images/stock/dennisbw.jpg

"LIES LIES LIES !! ALL LIES ! Why do all you scummy, unwashed, and extremely few Sox fans dare continue to insist on drawing attention to yourselves, and lie about our coverage ? Besides, all we're really doing is what 98% of Chicago,-hell, 98% of the country- wants: Continued coverage of the most beloved, storied, and traditional team in all of sports, and the beautiful ivy covered Mecca that is their home. And if you don't believe it, then we're going to have Lil' Ricky write an article proving it ! Ricky, get crackin' !"

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/blurb/2006-01/21633453.jpg (http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_wakeup/)
"Yessir ! I got my word processor warming up now. "

buehrle4cy05
11-23-2006, 12:37 AM
:knue
"Ok, fine, I'll admit it. We print more Cubs stories than Sox stories. But there's a perfectly logical reason behind it. More Cub fans can read. Look at the typical Sox fan: tatoos all over his body, drunk, blue-collar, rushing the field and beating up umpires...obviously illiterate. I mean, come on, how do you think we got all those 1.5 million people to come to the parade last year? The press release said that it was to celebrate the Sox championship, but we had undercover people tell them that it was for free tatoos, piercings, beer, and shots at Laz Diaz and Tom Gamboa. Because Sox fans can't read, they believed our guys and that's why they all showed up. Now look at the typical Cubs fan: Clean-shaven, rich, and polite. So the choice is obvious. We cater to the fan base that is not illiterate."

Hangar18
11-27-2006, 08:20 AM

Hey, I didnt write that article, but my "media watches" certainly got people thinking and talking. All I've ever wanted to do, was EXPOSE that company for the Lies and the Pandering. Others have said Theres no such thing, your feeding into the hysteria, your certifiable, why do you care, you care more about them than your own team etc etc. But for good measure, I was contacted by a shadowy executive type wanting to know what I thought I was getting out (my now defunct) media watches.

Guess the Trib doesnt like when people speak The Truth.

Fenway
11-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Oh come on guys

The Cubs have been pretty active so far in the off season and the White Sox haven't done anything yet. Of course the Cubs are going to get more stories right now.

Hangar18
11-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Oh come on guys

Of course the Cubs are going to get more stories right now.

I highlited the part of your sentence that indeed makes sense.

However, it certainly doesnt explain why they got more attention last season, the season in which the SOX were coming off a World Series Championship. How could a last place team get more attention than a World Series team?

It defies logic. Wish I could say I had the exact numbers from last season ......but trust me when I say this, the last place team ran away again with the coverage over the Defending World Series Champion team.

CaptainBallz
11-27-2006, 09:01 AM
It defies logic. Wish I could say I had the exact numbers from last season ......but trust me when I say this, the last place team ran away again with the coverage over the Defending World Series Champion team.

Actually, it's perfectly logical from the Cubune's standpoint. It's common sense as to why the Cubune knowingly (and they do KNOW they're doing it) prints more Flubbie fluff than anything about the Sox. There's a little thing called "vested interest" that aids in that decision.
Some people seem to still want to bury their heads in the sand about it, but the question remains: If there wasn't a noticable benefit to the Tribune from covering the Cubs more than the Sox, why would they continue to do it? It's their own little feedback loop they've created and it makes them $$. Bottom line.

Oblong
11-27-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm going to read the Tribune this season and adopt a "Everything I know about the Sox I learned from the Tribune" attitude. Since I have no strong feelings about the Sox one way or the other, I think I can offer an objective take on it. I'll compare my observations to what I read here. I won't have access to any local radio or other media. It'll be an experiment.

Hangar18
11-27-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm going to read the Tribune this season and adopt a "Everything I know about the Sox I learned from the Tribune" attitude. Since I have no strong feelings about the Sox one way or the other, I think I can offer an objective take on it. I'll compare my observations to what I read here. I won't have access to any local radio or other media. It'll be an experiment.

Its really too bad you werent able to adopt this experiment a few years ago (pick a season, any season!) The years 2003 til last season were the most worthy of notice. Despite a World Championship for the SOX in 05, media attention was slowly but surely building for that other team (last place team) despite logic and common sense. In fact, the SOX became so maligned by mid-season ........
well, lets just say that 2005-2006 proved to truly be a year of "Firsts" regarding the team, the way they're perceived, and the way they were covered

Fenway
11-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Actually, it's perfectly logical from the Cubune's standpoint. It's common sense as to why the Cubune knowingly (and they do KNOW they're doing it) prints more Flubbie fluff than anything about the Sox. There's a little thing called "vested interest" that aids in that decision.
Some people seem to still want to bury their heads in the sand about it, but the question remains: If there wasn't a noticable benefit to the Tribune from covering the Cubs more than the Sox, why would they continue to do it? It's their own little feedback loop they've created and it makes them $$. Bottom line.

This is all going to become moot shortly when the Cubs ( and possibly WGN ) are sold. Then it will be very curious to see how the coverage goes.

I want Mags back
11-27-2006, 11:40 AM
i didnt know there was a cubune.com. Its blocked here at school, so ill have to check it when I get home

voodoochile
11-27-2006, 12:00 PM
This is all going to become moot shortly when the Cubs ( and possibly WGN ) are sold. Then it will be very curious to see how the coverage goes.

Why would they sell WGN? TV is their business nowadays...

FielderJones
11-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Why would they sell WGN? TV is their business nowadays...

Large shareholders are making a stink about the poor rate of return they are getting. The initial plan was to put the entire Cubune Corporation up for sale, but in true Cubune fashion, they overvalued themselves. No one came forward with their asking price.

One way to boost the price for a corporation is to break it up and sell the pieces; typically the sum of the pieces will fetch more than the entire kaboodle.

The Cubune dream of media monopoly in many markets will not only not be realized, it may actually be broken in Chicago.

Hitmen77
11-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Oh come on guys

The Cubs have been pretty active so far in the off season and the White Sox haven't done anything yet. Of course the Cubs are going to get more stories right now.

The cubune.com site was referring to stories during the 2006 season.

CaptainBallz
11-27-2006, 12:31 PM
The Cubune dream of media monopoly in many markets will not only not be realized, it may actually be broken in Chicago.

Their dream, Chicago's nightmare...

It's a very good thing that's happening, even if it accidentally improves the Cubs...

Hangar18
11-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Their dream, Chicago's nightmare...

It's a very good thing that's happening, even if it accidentally improves the Cubs...

yeah ...but the damage has been done. The SOX let them run away Unchecked for 2 decades before finally acknowleging the enemy in 2003

GoSox2K3
11-27-2006, 01:03 PM

It isn't so much the number of stories, but the content - or spin - in those stories. Some recent examples:

- Constantly characterizing Aramis Ramirez's 5 yr/$75 million contract as the Cubs getting a "significant hometown discount"

- In July, the Cubs got totally embarassed by the Mets with NY hitting 2 grand slams in the same inning. Fans were so irrate that they started throwing trash on the field. The next day, the Trib ran an article about how the game was yet another part of Wrigley's "mystique". The chance that you might witness the history of 2 grand slams in an inning was why so many people keep coming back to Wrigley Field.

- When Michael Barrett sucker-punched Pierzynski in a brawl in May, the Trib called Barrett the Cubs "newest folk hero" and said that we were all getting sick and tired of Pierzynski's act.

- Last year, the Sox held the biggest parade in Chicago history with a whopping 1.7 million people cheering the world champs. Just before the '06 season started, one of the Trib's sports writers argued that the turnout was that high only because half the people there were Cub fans. He generally pooh-poohed the whole parade event by saying it would look like some lame suburban parade compared to what the Cubs would do if they had a parade.

- Last year, on the day that the Sox hosted the first ALDS game, the Tribune ran a front page article trashing the neighborhood around the Cell as full of "pot smoke" and drug dealers. They also ripped on the Sox for being "poor neighbors" to the community around the ballpark (though they failed to explain what the Sox exactly were failing to do or how another franchise, oh let's say the Cubs, might be doing anything more in their neighborhood). Part of their complaint was that fireworks from Sox games often disrupt a nearby grade school (never mind that the Sox play just about all their weekday games at night).

CaptainBallz
11-27-2006, 01:13 PM
yeah ...but the damage has been done. The SOX let them run away Unchecked for 2 decades before finally acknowleging the enemy in 2003

But as we began to see last season, the damage isn't irreversible. It took a little thing called "winning the WS" to do it, but the spin couldn't mask the fact that winning is better than some fake-ass "mystique". Without the Tribune's massive propaganda machine behind the Cubs, the market share playing field becomes much more even. Jerry, KW, Brooks, and co. realize this and I believe truly plan on reversing the damage that has been done.

miker
11-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Guess the Trib doesnt like when people speak The Truth.
Sadly, not everyone here is a big fan of the truth either...

Hangar18
11-27-2006, 03:28 PM
But as we began to see last season, the damage isn't irreversible. It took a little thing called "winning the WS" to do it, but the spin couldn't mask the fact that winning is better than some fake-ass "mystique". Without the Tribune's massive propaganda machine behind the Cubs, the market share playing field becomes much more even. Jerry, KW, Brooks, and co. realize this and I believe truly plans on reversing the damage that has been done.

Thats why it was sooooo important the SOX make the playoffs again last season. Wouldve not only been the first time in the modern-age the SOX pulling that feat off, but wouldve further kept the momentum going in their favor. The SOX have to play like world-beaters in 07...

CaptainBallz
11-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Thats why it was sooooo important the SOX make the playoffs again last season. Wouldve not only been the first time in the modern-age the SOX pulling that feat off, but wouldve further kept the momentum going in their favor. The SOX have to play like world-beaters in 07...

Amen...

Especially with the Flubs doing everyone the hilarious favor of finishing dead last, the Sox organization missed a huge opportunity.
We all know that's not why they play, but you know the brass wants to make this happen...

maurice
11-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Last year, on the day that the Sox hosted the first ALDS game, the Tribune ran a front page article trashing the neighborhood around the Cell as full of "pot smoke" and drug dealers. They also ripped on the Sox for being "poor neighbors" to the community around the ballpark

Plus the Dybas / Ligue stuff . . . all of which is part of a transparent effort to portray their losing team as a safe and friendly alternative to dangerous Sox Park. The other arm of this PR campaign is to artificially distance Wrigley from the high-profile murder and the rapes that regularly occur a short distance from their property. Meanwhile, they claim that the recently demolished-and-rebuilt-from-scratch bleachers are somehow "historic." We could go on . . . .

Frater Perdurabo
11-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Plus the Dybas / Ligue stuff . . . all of which is part of a transparent effort to portray their losing team as a safe and friendly alternative to dangerous Sox Park. The other arm of this PR campaign is to artificially distance Wrigley from the high-profile murder and the rapes that regularly occur a short distance from their property. Meanwhile, they claim that the recently demolished-and-rebuilt-from-scratch bleachers are somehow "historic." We could go on . . . .

:knue

"Wrong wrong WRONG!" There is a moat, an impervious wall, that completely isolates our editorial operations from all business considerations!"

:rolling:

markopat
11-28-2006, 08:13 AM
i didnt know there was a cubune.com. Its blocked here at school, so ill have to check it when I get home

The Tribune must pwn your school.....

OR maybe Roe Skidmore is your network admin.

tebman
11-28-2006, 02:08 PM
We spent a lot of energy jousting with George Knue about this last year. We said (and still say) that the Tribune has a conflict of interest owning the Cubs. Knue was (and still is) highly offended that anyone would dare suggest that The Chicago Tribune is anything but a pure vessel of crystalline Truth, uncorrupted by vulgar things like corporate synergy. :rolleyes:

The whole argument is circular -- we give Examples A, B, and C showing the Tribune's Cub-promotion behavior, and George Knue [and later Don Wycliff, the former Public Editor ("Get a grip"), and Rick Morrissey ("You're insane")] argues that whatever we said, we're wrong and/or delusional. Check out this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53026&highlight=hegemony) for one of those great taffy pulls.

Then later, when it was revealed that McPhail had tried to intimidate the Tribune's Sullivan and McGrath into being more favorable to the Cubs since the Tribune was the Cubs' "house organ," we went another 15 rounds with George Knue in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71644&highlight=mcgrath).

But like Fenway said, this might all be moot when the Tribune company is busted up for parts. The Tribune tried monopolizing advertising business by buying "synergistic" properties in major media markets, and it didn't work. Stockholders have been storming the gates demanding that it be sold off, and when the Cubs are finally sold we shall see how the Tribune treats its indulgent former property.

1951Campbell
11-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Then later, when it was revealed that McPhail had tried to intimidate the Tribune's Sullivan and McGrath into being more favorable to the Cubs since the Tribune was the Cubs' "house organ," we went another 15 rounds with George Knue in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71644&highlight=mcgrath).

Heh, Mr. Knue hasn't posted since the pwnage in that thread. :cool: